Start by marking “Cathadeus (The Walking Gates, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cathadeus (The Walking Gates, #1)

Cathadeus (The Walking Gates, #1)

It has been six hundred years since the Alchemists fused together men and beasts to form strong, mindless slaves. Now, their most vicious creations have attacked the mystical Walking Gates, slaughtering their Keepers and isolating their cities.

Wounded in the brutal attack, Braxton Prinn’s mother is on the verge of death and he makes a desperate journey to find the reclusiv
Published December 8th 2017 by Wise Ink Creative Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Cathadeus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cathadeus

Start your review of Cathadeus (The Walking Gates, #1)
Olivia-Savannah  Roach
Cathadeus by Jeff J. Peters is a fantasy novel which caught my eye because I’ve simply been meaning to read more fantasy! I’ve recently been enjoying A Game of Thrones (I’m currently reading book 2) and decided it would be good to branch out in the genre a little more. And this book didn’t disappoint – it was brimming with a spirit magic to discover, elves, dwarves, ogres and plenty of fighting to keep me satisfied.

What I really liked about this book is that it wasn’t afraid to set high stakes f
Reading Bifrost
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The main character, Brax, thinks he is going to live a relatively normal life working in his father’s smithy until creatures attack his city. Then he’s thrown upside down with learning that his wounded mother isn’t entirely human, he’s the heir to his grandfather’s magical sword, and he’s about to go to war.

Ruskin is rough and often grumpy dwarf. He was a close friend of Brax’s family before the story started, and during the story more and more of his past was revealed. He probably became my fav
LAWonder10
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This literary work is full of a great cast of characters, too numerous and unique to dwell upon individually.

Without warning, the huge Mins attacked numerous villages consecutively, leaving few alive in their "wake". The few survivors began to unite, calling upon mystic forces to aid them . The Mins were determined to conquer all the kingdoms and have total domain.

Braxton , his brother, father and close friend survived the attack, but unless Braxton could get his mother's essence to her land of
Misty
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cathadeus (Book One of the Walking Gates) was a very well written book that reminded me a lot of Robin Hobb's books with how it fused fantasy, adventure, action, and mystery genre elements together so seamlessly. Brax was a great character that was clearly in over his head and got pulled into the quite the adventure when all he wanted to do was save his mother. I liked the way the book kept everything unpredictable. Overall, I really enjoyed the book and I hope the next one comes out soon!
Stephanie - Books Less Travelled
*I received a copy from the author for review. This does not affect my review.*

Masterful storytelling! I loved the flawed characters, and the reality melds perfectly with the fantasy elements. It stays with you even after the last page, and I would gladly return to this world over and over!
Dawn
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I chose to read this book after receiving a free copy. All opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased.

Cathadeus is a great fantasy. Jeff J. Peters has a writing style that describes the setting so well that you feel like you're right there, but he doesn't get bogged down in details. His is my favorite kind of writing.

Braxton is a young man sent on a journey to save his mother after their town is attacked. He finds out that she's actually an elfling who has been posing as a human.
Jeff Peters
Dec 19, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Testimonials from Readers

“Jeff J. Peters’ strong cinematic writing style allowed me to easily visualize the story and feel that I was right there alongside the characters.” -- Alison W.

“Jeff J. Peters’ writing is so smooth and easy to read – I can’t tell you how much of a pleasure it was, and how quickly you end up being drawn into the story because of it.” -- Amanda R.

“Cathadeus is the best kind of fantasy story – you get to learn along with a flawed main character while you get lost in a richl
Meagan Myhren-bennett
Cathadeus
The Walking Gates #1
By Jeff. J. Peters

It was just an ordinary day until the attack at the Walking Gates with Merchant Tide once again upon them. The Gate Keepers are decimated so that the gate at Oak Haven is useless for the foreseeable future. But the news is worse for Braxton Prinn - his mother has been injured in the attack and to save her he needs to make a perilous journey in just days.

But why the Mins (Minotaurs) have decided to attack now is a question of utmost concern. And equa
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cathadeus is a well-written epic fantasy tale that will appeal to lovers of classic fantasy. I was impressed that this is Jeff J. Peter's debut novel!

At the core of the story we have Braxton Prinn, a young man who discovers he has inherited the spirit magic through the Unicorn Blade that allows him to fight the evil that threatens to destroy his family and the beloved elven kingdom to which his mother belongs. He sets out on a mission to save his mother and gets caught up in an age-old battle th
Jeremy Michael Gallen
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Author Jeff J. Peters dedicates this debut fantasy novel to his sons, for their pure enjoyment; his wife for her endless love, patience, and comradery; and to his master teacher, who helped him find his voice. The prologue features a one-chapter-wonder character, the dwarf Thrag, who completes his patrol, finding a totem and fighting Minotaurs, Mins for short as they’re more commonly called, in the mountains. The main chapters begin with protagonist Braxton Prinn, Brax for short, breakfasting, g ...more
Tonja Drecker
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a rich fantasy with never ending adventure, vivid scenes and characters which dig in and don't let go.

Braxton's life gets turned upside down when long-forgotten monsters, Minotaurs, attack the Walking Gate and leave his mother with life-threatening injuries. In a quest to save her, he travels with several friends in search of her tree and an elven master. He soon discovers that there's so much more than he knew going on, and finds himself in the middle of a war and battling the discovery
Carla
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing

I love a good fantasy novel full of mystical creatures, elves and magic - this novel had all of that and more!

Up until a brutal attack, Braxton had lived a normal life. He never expected his course would ever change and that he would follow in his parents footsteps. When his town is attacked and his Mother is fatally injured, he is entrusted with a secret and a mission to save his Mother's life. He learns that his Mother was really a member of the elven race and had been outcast for marrying out
Jessica Bronder
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Braxton Prinn’s day was going as usual until the long forgotten Minotaurs, Mins, attack the Walking Gates leaving his mother seriously injured. He learns that his mother is from an elven race and is an outcast for marrying outside her race. But the only way to heal her is to take her pendant to her tree. He is also given his grandfather’s sword, the Unicorn Blade, which has a lot of power.

But this is not a simple quest. The lands are at war and one group wants to extinguish the lives of all elve
Laurie
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just loved this book! It captivated me from the beginning and continued to occupy my thoughts several days after I had finished reading it. One of the most imaginative fantasies I have read in a long time, it is populated with richly drawn, unusual characters that haunted my thoughts when I was not reading about their lives and adventures.

The story moves at a fast clip and I was never bored or felt like it bogged down even though the narrative is descriptive. The author seems to craft each se
Leila
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a read!

These days, when you think of a fantasy read, I immediately think of werewolves and vampires. Not because I like them (or dislike them) but that has been the “fantasy” theme for so many years now.

This fantasy is NOT werewolves and vampires.

In fact, there was not even a word of werewolves and vampires. (I think the closest we even came to a werewolf was Bear, the dog!

This fantasy is minitaurs, elves, dwarfs, ogres – magical fantasy with magical realms.

Cathadeus is an adventure –
McKay
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I met Jeff in the middle of a connecting flight in the Seattle, WA airport and he sold me on reading his book. I read it in three days and loved the unique, yet sometimes familiar world in this novel. The characters are both relatable and memorable. The villains are varied and make for an exciting read. I would highly recommend embarking on this journey.
Marcus Gustafsson
Good intro

Wanted a little more details, fleshing out the story and the characters, if you will, but overall a great story. Looking forward to the next book.
Christina
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent Sword and Sorcery type

Worth a quick read, only about 350 pages, it starts off kind of slow but has an adequate back story later in and an interesting lore.
James
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
An exceptional first foray into a world of high fantasy. Relatable main character, believable interactions, and just enough information to not only give a good fleshed-out story, but a little bit of extra to leave us wanting the sequel.
Kelvin
Apr 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's an all right read. Nothing spectacular or refreshing in the sword sorcery genre. I like most of the scenes due to their descriptive detail, but most of the book felt lacking. Most of the human characters behaved and talked the same and the only standout was the dwarf. The dwarf was the driving force behind the narrative whereas the protagonist was a border line superhero

It would have been great to see the protagonist actually struggle during his mission to obtain his powers. Instead the pro
Shalyn
Amanda Wilson
Jul 31, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Duplicate book 2 261 Mar 05, 2020 01:53PM

• Along the Razor's Edge (The War Eternal #1)
  • War Echoes (Fall of Radiance, #3)
  • Forest Dragon (The Dragon Misfits #3)
  • Dragon Storm (Heritage of Power, #1)
  • The Son of the Morning (The Nightfall Wars #1)
  • Dragon Bones (The Dragonwalker #1)
  • Paths of Alir (A Pattern of Shadow & Light, # 3)
  • Black Sun
  • Ordination (The Paladin Trilogy, #1)
  • Iron Dragon (The Dragon Misfits #2)
  • Sword of Ruyn (Legends of Gilia #1)
  • Burning Tower (Benjamin Ashwood #5)
  • City of Ruin (Legends of the Red Sun, #2)
  • Lost Hills (Eve Ronin #1)
  • Empty Horizon (Benjamin Ashwood #4)
  • The Waking Fire (The Draconis Memoria, #1)
  • Child of the Daystar (The Wings of War, #1)
  • Gold Dragon (Heritage of Power, #5)
JEFF J. PETERS was born in South Africa and immigrated to the United States as a teenager, where he fell in love with all things fantasy. He obtained degrees in digital electronics and computer science and worked as an IT professional for more than twenty years. In 2014, he left his corporate position to focus full-time on writing. Cathadeus is his debut novel, released December 2018. He is c ...more