Start by marking “I Am Still Alive” as Want to Read:
I Am Still Alive

I Am Still Alive

Cheryl Strayed's Wild meets The Revenant in this heart-pounding story of survival and revenge in the unforgiving wilderness.

After
Jess is alone. Her cabin has burned to the ground. She knows if she doesn't act fast, the cold will kill her before she has time to worry about food. But she is still alive--for now.

Before
Jess hadn't seen her survivalist, off-the-grid dad in ove
Published July 24th 2018 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about I Am Still Alive, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Melanie (TBR and Beyond) Yes, it does. The question does matter because lots of us would avoid the book due to it.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Gabriella I assume that she knows the general location (ie. in Canada, by a lake, etc.). Emergency services also asked her to make some sort of signal, and Jess…moreI assume that she knows the general location (ie. in Canada, by a lake, etc.). Emergency services also asked her to make some sort of signal, and Jess makes a fire. I suppose that they look for fire smoke it the general location and that's how they find her. When Jess first went to her father she was coming in from the States (I don't remember which state exactly). The Emergency services she contacted were said to be in Alaska, which is probably why they were able to get to her so fast. Hope this helps!(less)

Start your review of I Am Still Alive
Cristina Monica
This is a decent story. I expected it to be about survival, and you know what, that’s exactly what it’s about.

Jess’ mother died, so she is sent to live with her elusive father in Alaska—er, I mean, Canada. Not that it makes much difference to the author since her idea of Canada is 10-months-lasting winters and lots of wild animals.

Look, that is not true, and I really don’t like when American authors – who probably haven’t even been to Canada before – use its stereotypical aspects to develop thei
Elle (ellexamines)
I feel like three stars always look a little weird, so let me clarify that this is a positive three-star rating. This is a compelling survival story that is marketed as a revenge story and I just… didn’t get exactly what I was hoping. But let’s be real, this was still entertaining.

So, my main thought about this is that this is very well-written, but it's essentially just a survival story and doesn't go much beyond.

Maybe my main problem was that… I just didn’t get exactly what I wanted? The rev
Trina (Between Chapters)
Great survival story. Would recommend to anyone who loves that genre. There is ABSOLUTELY ZERO ROMANCE for those looking for that in a book.

Audiobook: Loved it, would recommend this format.

Disability rep: The character has a new to her disability at the start of the book. She often refers to herself as "broken" but a later scene does show her checking her own thoughts about disability. Her father shuns physical therapy and he makes no accomodations for her disability, has a mindset of "nature wi
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I liked this book well enough. I decided to read this book because the premise sounded rather interesting. Having never read this author before, I really didn't go into the book with too many expectations. I found it to be a pretty easy read that I did enjoy. I did feel like there was something missing from the story that could have taken it to the next level for me but I am glad that I took a chance and decided to read this one.

Jess
Juli
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jess is alone. She is angry, hurt and struggling to stay alive. First she lost her mother in a car accident that left her injured and facing months of physical therapy. Then she was shipped off to live with her father in the Canadian wilderness. She barely remembers her father and she doesn't want to live with him in the middle of nowhere. No radio. No electricity. No nothing. Soon after she arrives, her dad is gone too and Jess is left to face the wilderness alone. Can she survive?

I love this b
Kate Vocke (bookapotamus)
Every time I read a book like this I realize how very dead I would be if I ever got lost in the woods! Put me up in the wilderness of Canada or Alaska and throw me in complete darkness and snow - and forget it - I MIGHT last 5 minutes.

Jess is alone. Her mother dies in a car crash, severely injuring here and now she's got no-one. She's only 16, and is in turn, forced to go live with her estranged father who she hasn't seen in about 12 years. Dad is a homesteader, and off-the-grid, he hates the go
megs_bookrack
Sep 27, 2018 is currently reading it
Another buddy read with my friend, Shannon!!!

We're so into Survival Horror/Thrillers right now. It's a whole thing 🖤
Susan's Reviews
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very well written survival book. First Jess's mother is killed in the same car accident that injures her leg. She is sent to live with her father, an extreme survivalist. Despite herself, Jess learns how to survive out in the wilderness. Her experiences and many mistakes help her grow as a person. Her enormous love for her dog Bo was the heartbreak romance in this novel. (Spoiler Alert:) This notivel is action-packed and filled with riveting descriptions of the rugged but beautiful wilderness ...more
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
I love a good survival story but this story felt like a non-stop pity party from start to finish. I got so tired of listening to Jess cry and feel sorry for herself. It was just way too much. I seriously found myself having more sympathy for the dog, then I did Jess. It definitely needs more action and suspense and less whining!

*I received this ARC from First to Read in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

Taschima
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holy shit this book was good.

It kind of reminded me of The Martian (I mean, duh, it is a survival book) though instead of space Jess is stuck in the middle of nowhere in Canada.

Which to me makes it 100 times scarier because I may never make it to Mars but I can sure as hell get lost in the middle of the forest (might be able to get lost in my own backyard--though I'd deny it). And you know what, I can't say I would be as resourceful or strong or patient or just pretty fricking ballsy as Jess is
Erin Bowman
This was brutal. A modern, grown-up, gritty HATCHET. I loved it.
Jiny S
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: survival
I can see this book turning to a movie, and it will be fast paced and action packed, just the kind that might inspire a weekend fishing trip in the wilderness. Or, if you are in the mood for something adventurous on a cold day, this novel can scratch that itch without making you leave the comfort of your own home.

The prominent theme of this book is survival. A young girl is thrust into the cold Canadian wilderness when her mother died in a car crash and she has to live with her father, a mountai
Anna Schumacher
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book grabbed me by the throat and wouldn't let go. I stayed up WAY too late finishing it, even though I have a toddler and knew I'd be up at 6 am and hating life the next day. It was seriously that good.

With elements of Winter's Bone and Into the Wild, it's a harrowing tale of a girl stuck in the wilderness who just can't seem to catch a break—but holy crap, this character has heart! Even when everything seems to be going against her, she manages to find some new way of thinking or innovat
Gray Cox
First off, I know this is random but this book's cover and the title is a MOOD. I had a lot of fun today carrying it around my homeschool groups while wearing all black, black nail polish, and holding it up every time someone asked me how my week was. 😂

It was amazing.

Secondly, this was a decent read. I don't have many praises or complaints, it wasn't bad but it didn't blow my mind.

I do wish Jess had a few tougher moments because she went on about being stronger but we never saw a /whole/ lot o
Shannon
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5/5

This was tense, thrilling, and compelling! A 16 year old girl is stranded in the Alaskan wilderness for months on end with no survival knowledge. She has no parents, no guide, no mentor, and no help. And winter is approaching swiftly. This book kept me on my toes for its entirety, and I didn't want to set it down. Not sure why I didn't wanna give it a 5, but a 4.5 is still a highly respectable rating in my opinion.
Amanda
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't have any expectations going into this book. It pleasantly surprised me. It was like a modern day update of Hatchet, with a female protagonist.

Teenage Jess had recently been debilitated in a car crash that killed her mother, put her in the charge of foster care, and set her to live with her father whom she hadn't lived with (or seen but once) since she was six months old.

Jess had no idea her father would be a survivalist, living so off-the-grid that he had no neighbors and the only way t
Jay G
Sep 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Want to see more bookish things from me? check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

3.5/5 Stars

Jess Cooper is left alone in the middle of nowhere after witnessing the murder of her father and the cabin she was living in burn to the ground. With Bo, her father's dog as her only companion, Jess must survive winter while waiting for the men to return.

Although entertaining at times, I found this story to be a bit slow for my liking. There were some points that were fast-
Amanda
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

**I received an ARC from Penguin in exchange for honest review**

YA Suspence/thriller/survival story
TW: blood & animal deaths

Full review on my channel : https://youtu.be/lnF2dJ58L2Y
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
***Thanks to First to Read for providing me a complimentary copy of I AM STILL ALIVE by Kate Alice Marshall in exchange for my honest review.***

——>WARNING: dead animals, some graphic <———— (If I had known this I’d never have requested the ARC)

Following her mother’s death, Jess now lives with her father in the middle of the woods. When he’s murdered, she must survive long enough to be rescued.

Kate Alice Marshall’s writing is the strongest component of this survival story. Her words, all action, b
Aura
"I am still alive" is Jess' mantra as she finds herself in the middle of the Alaskan or Canadian woods. She is in not sure exactly where she is. Everyone she loves is dead and no one is looking for her except maybe some bad guys. This is one of my favorite YA novel so far this year. I like that Jess has physical limitations and she is really not experienced on how to survive in the wilderness by herself. Yet, she perseveres even though she has many setbacks and nearly dies 10 times over. I loved ...more
Paulina
May 13, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This doesn’t even deserve a star. Read this wishing I was dead not alive at all. I was bored and just waited aimlessly for hours for something exciting to happen but it never came. I liked the dog though he was cool but I like dogs anyway so there you get a star because you had a cool dog.

P.s never finish a book you can’t stand.
 LEAH⇢
MY RATING⇢ 3.75 ✰STARS✰

BOOK TAGS⇢
SURVIVAL/OFF THE GRID ⁝ WITH A SIDE OF REVENGE ⁝ AN AWESOME DOG...IS THERE ANY OTHER KIND??? ⁝ CRINGE-WORTHY SCENES OF FIELD DRESSING ⁝ THE END MADE ME CRY

MY THOUGHTS⇣

At its heart, this is a survival story, but it also has a subplot consisting of revenge.

Jess, is 16 (turns 17 during the course of her survival/revenge tour), and she is like most teenagers these days...whiny and not always thinking of the big picture, or even able to learn from her mistakes. She a
Kelly
When Jess and her mother are in a car crash which leaves her mother dead and her with a pile of physical limitations and injuries, she's sent to live with the father she's never known in Alaska. Or at least, she believes it's Alaska. She's picked up by a man working for her dad and deposited with him, and that's when we learn that the cabin they're sharing will be burned down and Jess will be left to survive on her own in this remote area.

Told in a before-after format for part of the book, Mars
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
I Am Still Alive is a book that was on my radar in 2018 but I never got around to reading. And there never really was a lot of buzz for it. But I fell in unabashedly in love with with Marshall's sophomore novel Rules for Vanishing last year. I love her writing so much, Marshall earned a spot on my insta-buy list! So when I saw this book on Book Outlet a couple of months ago, of course I snatched it up!

This book made me feel things, friends. It's evocative, tense, and compelling and made my heart
Vicky Again

This book was so damn entertaining. Survivalist stories almost always are, if you take out the boring things and make enough random animals attack you and make the character do stupid things.

Kate Marshall did a really good job of making the survivalist part entertaining, and I didn't feel like she did anything too stupid when talking about survival (except for one instance which I'll talk about later). Most of her actions were pretty decent, and you could tell how Marshall wrote about Jess' emot
Madison
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I Am Still Alive is a pulse-pounding survival novel, epic and wild. There is no better beginning to an action adventure story than the character informing the reader that they are still alive when they should be dead. The prologue certainly gets the heart racing and it had me hooked on Jess’s story.

Before, Jess has been flown to the middle of nowhere to live with her dad. Injured from the car accident that killed her mother, the last place she wants to be is living in the wilderness with a man s
Sara (A Gingerly Review)

I was hooked and tore through this in no time. I was also reminded that I probably would not survive in the wilderness on my own.

--------

Full review can be found here: https://agingerlyreview.wordpress.com...

I thought I knew what I was getting into when I picked up this book from Penguin Teen but I was wrong. What a roller coaster of a thriller!

Short recap: Teenager Jess (aka Sequoia) has had a very rough life. Her dad left when she was very young and her mother was recently killed in a
Tate
Well shit. I was not expecting this book to make me cry but it did.

It’s too soon for many coherent thoughts, but I really really enjoyed it. Bo is my sweetheart. I loved the writing. Jess’ growth and flaws were great to see. Just damn.

---

EDIT:

M o n t h s later, I bring you just a few coherent thoughts. I loved the switches between "before" and "after;" I thought they added to the suspense and mystery of the story. Jess was a wonderful character to watch grow; she had genuine flaws and made real
✰ Alexandra ✰
Thank you Edelweiss for providing me with a free ebook in exchange for an honest review!

3.25/3.5 out of 5 stars

So, when I requested this book, the main element I was excited about was it being a survival story since I had not picked up one of those in a long time, and well, that’s exactly what I got.

This story follows Jess and the events leading up to her treacherous journey to stay alive in the Alaskan wilderness. The narration flips back and forth between the past and how she ended up there
SaraBOliveira
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5⭐️

I rounded up because I really enjoyed it - this is entirely a survival story - Jess has had a rough couple of months and they’re about to get a whole lot tougher...

This has zero romance, it’s is 100% a story about getting through tough times, having a goal set so you don’t lose focus and just staying alive one day at a time.

Anything I say could be a spoiler so I’m not saying much 😂 but it was exactly what I expected it to be, I already knew the author so I knew that I enjoy her writing sty
2020 SQHS Your Li...: Book review 4 11 Nov 21, 2019 12:33PM