Start by marking “Mycroft Holmes” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Mycroft Holmes

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Mycroft Holmes

(Mycroft Holmes and Sherlock #1)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  5,894 ratings  ·  1,028 reviews
The bestselling novel starring Sherlock Holmes's enigmatic brother, from NBA legend Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Fresh out of Cambridge University, the young Mycroft Holmes is already making a name for himself in government, working for the Secretary of State for War. Yet this most British of civil servants has strong ties to the faraway island of Trinidad, the birthplace of his
Paperback
Published July 31st 2018 by Titan Books (UK) (first published September 22nd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Mycroft Holmes, please sign up.
Marilyn I too did not think a "sports hero" could write exceptional fiction -- and about England's icon, Sherlock Holmes. I too owe KAJ a big "I'm sorry."
As…more
As to your question, I don't think Sherlockians (Holmesians outside North America) "believe" in Sherlock Holmes like some of us believe in God. We treat him as a real person for the sake of "the Great Game" started by Ronald Knox and the Baker Street Irregulars (based pretty much in New York City; but with members all over the world) Sherlock Holmes is one of the great heroes of fiction. He closely observes even the minutiae. He thinks beyond the average man's skill in thinking, yet with the same materials at hand as the average man. He is a genius of logic and he solves crimes. He's fascinating. I think he even surprised himself when he not only accepted Watson's friendship but depended on it and found the desire to love another person. To a person who strove to be a "thinking machine", that unexpected and unsought for friendship made him human, and a better, saner, more mentally balanced man.(less)
Ronn I have read many books over the years in which Mycroft is the protagonist, and have enjoyed them as much as any Holmes pastiches, Some are really…moreI have read many books over the years in which Mycroft is the protagonist, and have enjoyed them as much as any Holmes pastiches, Some are really good, some not so much, I can especially recommend The Mycroft Mysteries [a collection of three novella=length stories], and Enter The Lion: A Posthumous Memoir of Mycroft Holmes.(less)

·  5,894 ratings  ·  1,028 reviews

Start your review of Mycroft Holmes
Mandy
Jan 13, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
The best center in NBA history wrote a book about Sherlock Holmes' older brother. Of course I need this.
Paul Nelson
So this is all about the young Mycroft Holmes, written by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Anna Waterhouse. I don’t know enough to comment on the contribution of each author but if the 7ft 2" 68 year old record scoring basketball player is the main writer then hats off to the guy he’s done a pretty good job.

The story is set in 1870, Mycroft Holmes is 23 and proficiently working his way up the ranks in the Secretary of State’s office, it's an interesting period in British history where they had many
Mahlon
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
I was aware that being a successful author was just one of the many things keeping KAJ busy post retirement from the NBA, but this is the last book I expected him to write. Mycroft Holmes has everything that a great Mystery should. A great supporting cast, and a story that keeps you reading until the end. I didn't enjoy this characterization of a young Mycroft as much as I thought I should, perhaps this is because I am so used to the mature version of the character as showcased in the original ...more
Marvin
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I am a major Sherlock Holmes fan. I have read every one of the Arthur Conan Doyle tales and many of the tributes aka “Pastiches” writtenby others since then. Not surprisingly none of them ever rise to the equivalent of the original but there have been some noble attempts. In Mycroft Holmes written by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (yes, that Kareem Abdul-Jabbar) and Anna Waterhouse, the authors do a very wise move. They avoid the imposing Sherlock and concentrate on his smarter and older brother Mycroft. ...more
Deb Jones
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fans of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes will enjoy this glimpse into the young life of his old brother, Mycroft Holmes. Mycroft has recently graduated from Cambridge and at the age of 23, he is secretary to the Secretary of War.

I found the plot, the settings and the characters to be authentic to the tone of the Holmes' saga. A thoroughly enjoyable reading experience. I would be only too happy to learn KAJ is writing a second book -- and perhaps even more.
T.D. Whittle
Nov 11, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews, nope
This was pretty terrible. I don't blame Mr. Abdul-Jabbar though because I assume the writing was mostly handled by the not-so-much-a-ghost co-author and that Kareem's name was used to garner sales because everyone loves him and he is a big celebrity. I tend to assume that is usually the case when some celebrity who has never ever written anything, or even talked about writing, suddenly launches a package like this. (Update: See Comments below.)

Normally, I would not go near such a production, but
Billie
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four stars because it surprised me by being enjoyably readable. Probably only three stars for actual artistic merit. But, if you imagine a younger Mark Gatiss running around Trinidad with current-day Chiwitel Ejiofor, it makes for an awesome head-movie.
Barb
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was more than a little surprised that Kareem Abdul-Jabbar had written a Holmsian mystery, not that I've followed the basketball star or had any idea about what his personal interests were. I did wonder if it might be one of those books...you know the ones...where the famous person gets a book deal and the book gets a lot of publicity and sells well, but the content of the actual book is rather lackluster. I'm happy to report this wasn't one of those books.

The novel has two very likeable
Noe
Dec 08, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sherlock
If this book was a movie, it would be a bad B movie. The plot, dialogue, and scenes lack imagination and bear all the marks of what is trite. Other than the name Holmes, it has no resemblance to a Holmesian tale.

The story is about Sherlock’s older brother Mycroft, and therein lies another problem. The authors make Mycroft out to be like Sherlock: a man of action, a man that rides into the fray, a man who boxes - he even gives Sherlock a boxing lesson. I don’t like it when someone writes a
Barbara (The Bibliophage)
In essence, this is a prequel to what we know of Sherlock Holmes' older brother Mycroft. I started out thinking it was going to be a straightforward historical mystery, possibly with some supernatural elements. Ultimately though it was a much deeper story, with more commentary on social justice of the time and nothing supernatural.

The locales of London and the West Indies, mostly Trinidad, provide a colorful and diverse background. Mycroft and his sidekick Cyrus Douglas are smart and inventive.
Abigail
Oh, honey...no. I mean, I guess I don't regret reading it, but this was certainly not to my caliber. I got it on a deal, am obsessed with everything Holmes, and was entirely intrigued by the author, but it read as I suspected. I knew better, really, but curiosity....

In any case. Interesting story I guess (though predictable), unique take, but certainly deeply flawed in its representation of Mycroft Holmes, canonically speaking, and definitely not literary. It had well-crafted sentences and
Lesa
Together with Anna Waterhouse, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar relates a story of Sherlock Holmes' older brother, telling of his first adventure when he was only twenty-three. Mycroft Holmes is an intricately plotted, dramatic account. And, it's marvelous, with the tone of the original stories.

While his younger brother is in college, Mycroft is already making a name for himself as secretary to the Secretary of State for War. He aspires to work for Queen and country, marry his gorgeous fiancée, Georgiana,
Ellen
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-sleuth
Mycroft Holmes by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

A new dimension has been added to the fans of Sherlock Holmes and it is that of his older brother Mycroft. The setting is after the Civil War in London. Mycroft in his early twenties and his best friend Cyrus Douglas formerly of Trinidad have been informed of horrific crimes against small children taking place in Trinidad. Footprints facing in the opposite direction of the pathways taken and children being called to their doom.

Mycroft and Douglas have a
Christine
Is it heretic to say that I prefer Douglas to Watson?

This book looks at Sherlock Holmes' brother Mycroft in his early salad days, if you can see the Holmes' bros as having salad days. Mycroft's best buddy is Douglas, a black American, and Douglas actually plays a greater role in the story than Watson. The story is a good mix of action and mystery. It also ties in very well with history, so the story itself is largely believable. Sherlock, too, makes an appearance. The only false note is the
Amanda Mae
Rather impressed with the quality of Mr. Abdul-Jabbar's Holmes fan fiction. :) Compelling story, interesting characters, a plot that moved at a good clip, and lots of historic detail to make it even more enjoyable to read. Rather well done!
David
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story of a young Mycroft Holmes who is making a name for himself and is engaged to be married to a young woman born and raised in the Caribbean named Georgiana Suton. It looks like he has a bright future ahead. Then, Mycroft's friend Cyrus Douglas gets word that children in his native Trinidad are being killed. The news disturbs Georgiana and she insists on going... without Mycroft. Meanwhile, Mycroft and Cyrus hatch a plot to go anyway. More action and adventure than fans of Mycroft from his ...more
Sohvi
Sep 19, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is so bad it's actually almost funny. I have no idea who the main protagonist is, but he sure as hell is not Mycroft Holmes.

There are more fight scenes than in most modern Hollywood films. And some of them are hilarious! People survive from absolutely ridiculous situations without much damage. And I mean ridiculous, really. Like Michael Bay thinks this book is maybe a bit over the top with all the action and explosions.

Also, the only female character is absolutely useless and an excellent
J.V. Seem
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
I pre-ordered this book the moment I heard of it; it's such a brilliant idea. ...but sadly, that's all.
This book is not at all what you'd expect, and even though it does have its entertaining moments, its conspiracy is, at intervals, equally predictable and confusing. In the end, it simply washed over me.
Jonathan Maas
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book! I'm a big fan of Jabbar lately due to his op-eds, but this one transcends current political climates. Just a great book, with an impactful ending.
Joedy Cambridge
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a terrific read!!! It could almost be classified as "historical fiction". This is first in a what will be a series of Mycroft Holmes novels -- the second of which (Mycroft & Sherlock) came out to great reviews just a few weeks ago. To get more background on Abdul-Jabbar's foray into mystery, check out these interviews:

Also be sure to check out additional information on the Merikins and the Harmonious
LJ
First Sentence: The old man had heard of them, of course.

Young Mycroft Holmes is fresh out of Cambridge University, engaged to the beautiful Georgiana Sutton, who was raised in Trinidad, and working for the Secretary of State for War. Holmes’ good friend Cyrus Douglas, a free black also from Trinidad, receives word that the bodies of children are being found drained of blood. Georgiana suddenly departs for her home. Mycroft and Douglas decide to follow, never expecting the danger into which
Lauren Stoolfire
Mycroft Holmes is ready to begin his governmental career after completing his education at Cambridge. Mycroft's comfortable life is turned upside down when his best friend Cyrus Douglas, a man of African descent from Trinidad (also the place where Mycroft's finacee, Georgiana, grew up), receives troubling reports from home about the strange disappearances of children. There are reports of mysterious footprints on the beach and the children found drained of blood. It seems as if spirits are ...more
Ladiibbug
Historical Fiction

Mycroft Holmes, Sherlock's older brother, is just out of University, working in the office of the Secretary of State for War in London. He has ties to Trinidad, the birthplace of his best friend, Cyrus Douglas, a man of African descent, and where his fiancée Georgiana Sutton was raised.

Mycroft's ordered world is turned upside down when Douglas receives troubling reports from home. Mycroft, thoroughly besotted with his fiancée, Georgiana, is torn between staying in
Martha
Dec 28, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Alas, I couldn't get through this--writing just not good enough to be gripping. Abdul-Jabbar's writing partner was billed as someone who "quietly repairs" shortcomings in screen plays and other writing. So there's no way to know whether he just had a idea and she wrote it, or he gave her a first draft and she beefed it up. In any case, the "repair" wasn't good enough or else made things worse. Disappointed b/c the idea is good andI thought the plot had promise, but it just read too much like ...more
Paul
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As a straightforward adventure story this is relatively entertaining, but the links to the Holmes literature and milieu seem somewhat tenuous. At times the plot is confusing, and some of the characters are very weakly drawn.
Meave
Nov 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was fine. Really, the best parts were when Douglas would tell Mycroft not to act like such a know-it-all (stop telling us how obvious the answer is and just tell us the answer, right?). It was kind of fussy.
Devann
This was surprisingly good. When my friend told me that Kareem Abdul-Jabbar wrote a Sherlock Holmes book I was like "the basketball player???", but according to the author profile in the back he has a degree in English and History so I guess it just shows that you should never judge a book [or a person] by its cover. I'm not sure how exactly he split the writing up with the other author, but it's a very well-written book and I thought the plot was engaging.

I never really thought about Mycroft
Angela
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anthony Helm
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure what to expect from Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's "Mycroft Holmes," but I was pleasantly surprised nonetheless. At the outset, it did not feel like a Holmes book, but it quickly found its rhythm and I was caught up in the story that centers on Sherlock's elder brother, a young man still just a couple of years out of university. In fact, Sherlock hardly appears at all, but that was a good thing. Still, there is much in common between the siblings, though Mycroft (and Abdul-Jabbar) likes to ...more
Astrid Lim
So this book is not bad. I didn't have any expectations because pastiches and spin offs are rarely as good as their original series. But turned out Mycroft Holmes is pretty decent, adventurous, and refreshing. Mycroft reminds me of Sherlock actually, but in different style. Cyrus Douglas is a good -albeit a bit typical - sidekick. And the historical background of the story is also pretty good - the writers have done their homework well. This is my first time reading Kareem Abdul Jabar's book, ...more

• The Adventure of the Peculiar Protocols: Adapted from the Journals of John H. Watson, M.D.
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Sign of Seven
  • Sherlock Holmes & the Christmas Demon
  • The Art of Theft (Lady Sherlock, #4)
  • Lethal Pursuit (Barker & Llewelyn, #11)
  • The Hollow of Fear (Lady Sherlock, #3)
  • Mycroft Holmes and the Adventure of the Desert Wind (Mycroft Holmes, #1)
  • Two Bronze Pennies (DI Tom Harper, #2)
  • Beginnings (Kate Martinelli)
  • When Hell Struck Twelve (Billy Boyle WWII Mysteries #14)
  • Art in the Blood (A Sherlock Holmes Adventure)
  • The Old Success (Richard Jury, #25)
  • Sherlock: A Scandal In Belgravia #1
  • The Manifestations of Sherlock Holmes
  • Sherlock: A Scandal in Belgravia #2
  • A Study in Scarlet Women (Lady Sherlock, #1)
  • Sherlock: A Scandal In Belgravia #3
  • The Books of the Dead (A Death in Paris Mystery #2)
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (born Ferdinand Lewis Alcindor, Jr. on April 16, 1947 in New York City, New York, United States) is an American former professional basketball player and current assistant coach. Typically referred to as Lew Alcindor in his younger days, he changed his name when he converted to Islam.

Mycroft Holmes and Sherlock (3 books)
  • Mycroft and Sherlock
  • Mycroft and Sherlock: The Empty Birdcage (Mycroft Holmes 3)
“He had breath in him once,” he declared. “He is to be treated with respect, no matter the cost.” “Now is not the time for empty ritual,” Holmes thundered. “Now is precisely the time!” Douglas thundered back. “When we ourselves are empty, it is the ritual that turns us human again.” 3 likes
“Pride goeth before destruction,” he quoted, “and a haughty spirit before a fall.” 1 likes