Start by marking “Colmillo Blanco” as Want to Read:
Colmillo Blanco

Read Book* *Different edition

Colmillo Blanco

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  175,612 ratings  ·  5,628 reviews
Jack London, probablemente nacido como John Griffith Chaney (12 de enero de 1876-22 de noviembre de 1916), fue un escritor estadounidense, autor de Colmillo Blanco, The Call of the Wild (traducida en espanol como La llamada de lo salvaje, La llamada de la naturaleza o La llamada de la selva), y otros cincuenta libros.
Published July 12th 2016 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published May 1906)

To ask other readers questions about Colmillo Blanco, please sign up.
Karis I have my high schoolers read this. But I also make it a point to discuss the overt racism, the lack of true-to-life information (about wolves and Nat…moreI have my high schoolers read this. But I also make it a point to discuss the overt racism, the lack of true-to-life information (about wolves and Natives), and the inverse parallel structure between this book and "The Call of the Wild." It does get a bit graphic with the dog fights, but my students haven't seemed to mind that. I will agree that it's not technically a YA novel - there's nothing in the book to make it fall under that category - but it is appropriate to read at the middle-high school level, as long as the issues listed above are not ignored.(less)

·  175,612 ratings  ·  5,628 reviews

Start your review of Colmillo Blanco
Ahmad Sharabiani
White Fang, Jack London

White Fang is a novel by American author Jack London (1876–1916), and the name of the book's eponymous character, a wild wolf-dog. First serialized in Outing magazine, it was published in 1906.

The story takes place in Yukon Territory and the Northwest Territories, Canada, during the 1890's Klondike Gold Rush and details White Fang's journey to domestication.

It is a companion novel (and a thematic mirror) to London's best-known work, The Call of the Wild, which is about
Miranda Reads
Sep 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
description
description

September Tier List Video is up! Check it out for all my September reads!
The Written Review
“The Wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept.”
The wolfdog known as White Fang has had a difficult life.

Cruel companions, cruel owners and a cruel world shaped him into what he is - violent, distrustful and aching for something he knows not.

When he finally stumbles into the hands of a kind master, he is completely thrown.

The world as he knows it is bleak and cold but the new
Henry Avila
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can an animal part wolf, part dog, be rehabilitated and become a domestic pet? The exact opposite of, another Jack London novel, The Call of the Wild. So the premise is, in White Fang. A runaway former Indian bred she- wolf, Kiche, along with forty odd others, in a wolf pack, are following three men on a dog sled, two still alive. Famine grips the territory in the Yukon, during the Klondike Gold Rush, Canada, just before the start of the Twentieth Century . The wild animals are starving, literal ...more
Adina
Oct 19, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read when I was a child. I remember I wanted a husky afterwards even though I was not a big fan of dogs.
Lyn
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
White Fang, Jack London’s 1906 companion (and thematic mirror) story to his classic The Call of the Wild begins with an archetypal London setting, a scene of desperate survival in a harsh, cruel environment.

Following the growth of a hybrid wolf-dog as he grows and fights and survives in the frozen north, White Fang embodies and demonstrates many of the common themes of London’s work such as survival of the fittest, isolation from society, and a primitive naturalism.

In the spirit of Joseph Conr
Debra
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I am one of the few who did not have this book as required reading in school.

White Fang chronicles the harsh realities of life. When this book begins, two men and trying to bring back the body of a third using their dog sled team. There has been a lack of food and night by night one of their dogs go missing. Finally, they see the culprit - a she wolf who is luring their dogs away. Food is scarce, and she is part of a wolf pack trying to survive. Soon the men are being hunted by the wolve
Lynne King
I was reminded of Diana, the Huntress with her lop-eared hounds driving her chariot and her nymphs as her hunting companions when I read this book. And it is as that Goddess that I accompanied the wolf White Fang (the only survivor out of a litter of five puppies), on his incredible journey through life. I was the hidden onlooker basking in all the trials and tribulations that overcame him, be it through periods of famine, extreme brutality by human beings, his necessity and desire to hunt and t ...more
Lee  (the Book Butcher)
I missed this as a child not sure why given my love for call of the wild. My guess is my librarian mother withheld it because the animal cruelty would have probably upset a younger me since it did an older me.

There's alot of trigger warning for White Fang. Violence toward animal is no laughing matter. but it is told to suit a purpose. the opening scene of a wolf pack hunting a sled team. Taking one dog after another and even one human until ran off is very vivid. The wolf-dog White Fang is a vi
Ron
Aug 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: four-legs, 2020, classics
I first read White Fang around the age of eleven or twelve. I think that's about right, but I'm not exactly certain. I do know that I read it soon after finishing London's other famous novel, The Call of the Wild. That first book, about a dog who's stolen and put into a life of hardship, would have been my favorite of the two at the time. It remains so, but the gap between them is not so wide now. What I don't recall realizing as a kid was how these two books, one about a dog, the other about a ...more
Sara
I know why I loved this as a kid. It is a raw adventure, with a natural charm, and the idea of a wild wolf-dog that is tamed by one man’s kindness would have been irresistible to my nine year old self. Even as an adult, it reads like a heroic tale, as White Fang fights his way through life’s difficulties, like Odysseus trying to find his way home. There can be little doubt that Jack London understood the nature of a wild animal and the dangerous life in the Northern climes.

The descriptive power
Nilguen
What a captivating literary work!
I am SO grateful to have read this adventurous novel by Jack London.

Beware, some passages are certainly not for the faint hearted!
Look who is talking! I weeped when reading those passages looking at my dog at times, who enjoys having his loved ones around him 24/7 nowadays, dozing off and giving me an awkward look tilting his head to one side.

So, let me start off my review by giving you the core message of this novel that resonated 100% with me:

Human beings a
Trish
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My second book by Jack London. As a kid, I watched Disney's movie with Ethan Hawke and loved every second of it. The majesty of the nature scenes, the thrilling albeit tragic life of the wolf (the German title of the story is "Wolf's Blood").
Since I keep working my way through a wide range of classics, Jack London was not to be missed and his books were really perfect for winter (incidentally, the weather got really icy every time I picked one of them up).

We follow a she-wolf as she chooses a m
Klinta
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me have nightmares of wolves attacking me and this book kept me up turning pages, because of a wolf learning new ways of life.

This book at first confused me, but in a way, I understood the Indian (Native American) ways, then I became enraged and at last - happy. I felt like I went through my own range of snarling and learning the human laws, learning affection, at last encountering a human that had similar views to treating animals as I do. It's quite the journey.

This book touche
Brenda
White Fang was originally published in 1906 by Jack London and the story is still an exceptional read to this day.

The wolf-cub was born to the she-wolf along with four other siblings. One-Eye was the male wolf who continued to bring food until the day he didn’t return, and the she-wolf had to search for food. When the famine hit, all of the wolf-cub’s siblings died from starvation, so he and his mother set out in the search for food.

Living first with an Indian tribe, the wolf-cub was named Whi
Fabian {Councillor}
I can still remember the day I received the hardcover edition of this novel as a christmas present by my grandmother four or five years ago. At a time when I was still recuperating from the classics thrown at us in school with the pure result of me feeling disgusted by everything which has been published more than one hundred years ago, I decided White Fang to be a piece of literature I'd better not pick up. And so it rested on my book shelf for more than three years before I brought myself to o ...more
Loretta
Although I did enjoy White Fang, I did not enjoy it as much as The Call of the Wild. Glad I finally read it though! ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Oct 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
One of my all time favorite books. Hard at times, bloody, but if you love the outdoors, and dogs, try it.

****The above was my original "minimalist" review of this book.****

Actually the book doesn't require much of a review beyond, "great book". However as a friend here noted she's just reading it my mind was drawn back to it.

As noted below I grew up on a small farm and didn't have access to a lot of novels. I had 4 my parents had given me as gifts over time and our school had a small library. T
Chrissie
I just finished this and the ending is very, very cute. It bowls you over to such an extent that it feels necessary to calm down and think clearly. I love the ending because it is sweet and definitely overdone and exaggerated and sentimental. You see, because the ending is so sweet and because the earlier sections have been so heartrending, you do not want to think logically. It is nice to just let your heart overflow with happiness. There is even a touch of humor thrown in at the end.

I don't kn
Paul Falk
When I was in high school, this book was required reading. It was one of the first books that I could not put down - a timeless classic.
Aqsa
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I'm way more than content with the ending. I believe I love this book even more than "The Call of the Wild". They're both quite opposite really and all too different too. This book is about White Fang-the wolf dog who only knew the wild until he ventured upon an Indian Camp. We see him grow and accept the various laws of nature and laws of men he learns. We see true wildness and we see it softened only by love. I hoped it won't end like his other book and was glad to have the end that I kinda ho ...more
Wanda Pedersen
***Wanda’s Summer Carnival of Children’s Literature***

Well, Jack London got to have his cake and eat it too, didn’t he? White Fang is like the mirror image of The Call of the Wild. While The Call of the Wild was about a domestic dog going wild, White Fang is the tale of a (predominately) wolf becoming domesticated.

It’s a very sentimental story, structured to get us to identify with the animal. The structure sets us up to view Gray Beaver as fair but unloving, to see Beauty Smith as hateful, and
Jemima Pett
I opened my ancient copy of this book with the excitement of reading an old friend. I know I originally read it when I was about 12 or 14. I would not recommend it to anyone under 14 now, and definitely not to anyone with the slightest tendency towards cruelty or bullying. On this reading I was alternately horrified by the beatings meted out to White Fang and other animals (and their justification), and discomforted by the discourse Jack London creates about the intentions, understandings and in ...more
Werner
Although I read The Call of the Wild and White Fang separately, I reviewed them together, because I felt that they're closely related novels that need to be discussed in comparison/contrast with each other. That review is here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... . ...more
Daniel Villines
Apr 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been many years since I first read White Fang and I have to say that my memories focused on the brightness of the ending rather than the scenes of suffering imparted to such a magnificent creature along the way. While reading these scenes in my younger days, I probably accepted them with a sense of excitement as opposed to my aged self who now accepts them with severe disgust.

With that said, however, there is one element of this book that remains unchanged throughout the years. This book is
Miguel
The story begins before the birth of White Fang, with two men and their team of sled dogs who are traveling to deliver a coffin in a remote village located in the upper Yukon Territory, Canada.
The men, Bill and Henry, are harassed by a large pack of hungry wolves for several days. Finally, after all the dogs have been devoured by the wolves, Bill, in a fit of madness, chases the female wolf that was the leader at the time of the attack.
Then, four sleds find Henry trying to escape the wolves; t
Jen - The Tolkien Gal
Mar 29, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Thanks to Audible for making this title free. You guys are doing a truly remarkable thing. Not just for the kids, but for everyone.

Hey everyone! I know I was gone for a long time, but life has been so busy before quarantine - and I was in a reading slump. But now I've stocked up (not hoarded) on eye drops and some tea, and I'm ready to read a book a day. Today, the 3rd day of quarantine in South Africa, but the first day in my reading journey in such troubled times.

My goal is to read/listen to a
Alan Cotterell
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ib, read-2019
This was a re read after a very long break since secondary school, when this was required reading.

I have to say i don't think it has lost any of its magic.
*❆ Kαɾҽɳ ❆*
I truly enjoyed this classic, we get to see the life of how a wolf lives, and perhaps what they say and do and act.

London's writing is very different and unique. I loved how I could see and feel the emotions pouring out of each page.

We journey with White Fang from the very start, from his birth, his puppyhood, the cruelty he faced and the encounters with humans and dogs too.
We even get a history of how his parents met and what they were like.

With White Fang we go on a self discovery adventure, a
Balu
Jul 20, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is just another typicial Jack London book. 3.8 stars.
Anu
Many years ago, as a young girl, during one of my gaming phases, I remember playing Age of Empires II. And I remember how the Aztecs, during their halcyon days succumbed to the power of the Spanish Conquistadors, merely because they thought them Gods. Gods who carried guns and firepower. Gods who wore armour. Gods that they sacrificed people to pacify. Gods that ultimately caused their destruction. And no, I'm not giving a history lesson; I'm trying to give an analogy. White Fang, a wolf-dog cro ...more
How many stars do you rate this? what was you favorite part in the book? 3 23 Apr 20, 2021 06:18PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add the amount of pages to this book 7 16 Jan 06, 2021 02:45PM
Catching up on Cl...: White Fang: SPOILERS 24 136 Aug 15, 2020 09:10AM
Catching up on Cl...: White Fang - No Spoilers 15 63 May 23, 2020 12:40PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please the book cover 2 14 Aug 05, 2019 04:49AM

• Black Beauty
  • Robinson Crusoe (Robinson Crusoe, #1)
  • Treasure Island
  • Fram, ursul polar
  • White Fang
  • The Jungle Book
  • Around the World in Eighty Days
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
  • Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Captain Nemo, #2)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
  • The Prince and the Pauper
  • Gulliver's Travels: Travels into Several Remote Nations of the World.
  • The Three Musketeers (The D'Artagnan Romances, #1)
  • The Swiss Family Robinson
  • Amintiri din copilărie
  • Old Yeller
  • Oliver Twist
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
See top shelves…
John Griffith London was an American novelist, journalist, and social activist. A pioneer of commercial fiction and American magazines, he was one of the first American authors to become an international celebrity and earn a large fortune from writing. He was also an innovator in the genre that would later become known as science fiction.
His most famous works include The Call of the Wild and White