Start by marking “The Body of the Artisan: Art and Experience in the Scientific Revolution” as Want to Read:
The Body of the Artisan: Art and Experience in the Scientific Revolution

The Body of the Artisan: Art and Experience in the Scientific Revolution

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  31 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
In The Body of the Artisan, Pamela H. Smith demonstrates how much early modern science owed to an unlikely source: artists and artisans. Goldsmiths, locksmiths, carpenters, and painters were all sought after by early scientists for their intimate, hands-on knowledge of natural materials, as well as their ability to manipulate them. Drawing on a fascinating array of new evi ...more
Published October 15th 2006 by University Of Chicago Press (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Body of the Artisan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Body of the Artisan

Paul Engle
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The book explores the interaction between the fine arts and early science; Smith does a wonderful job linking philosophy, artistic inspiration, and the materials used in the Renaissance and early modern periods. Beyond that, it has taken a special place in my large collection of non-fiction history books; one of a dozen or so that I will periodically re-read for the pure enjoyment of it.
Lissa Notreallywolf
I loved this book beyond measure, and I am considering writing my first letter to a living author to thank them for their contribution to my life. This is a scholarly work, but far from inaccessible to the lay person. I have added a shelf to accommodate it-art history, in which I am far better read than my Goodreads shelves might indicate. With that acknowledged, this book explores the intersection of alchemy and art, and makes a strong case for exploring the history of science from a more inclu ...more
Rachael
Dec 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! Pamela Smith writes elegantly and clearly. Her examination of the intersection between art and science in the early modern period is compelling. This book has prompted me to ask some historical questions of my own, such as how did Italian artisans contribute to the Scientific Revolution? I love the visuals as well, a welcome feature in any history book.
Andee Nero
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
Smith's book is the kind of work that really inspires me. She beautifully examines art and artisanry as a form of vernacular science. By looking at ordinary people instead of the "Great Men of Science," she is getting closer to the actual knowledge-gathering of the early modern period.
Megan
Mar 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: art/social historians
Shelves: non-fiction, history
A really beautiful book (and amazingly inexpensive for that) containing a very insightful analysis of the relationship between artisanry and science in early modern Europe.
Tawney