Start by marking “Tear Me Apart” as Want to Read:
Tear Me Apart

Tear Me Apart

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  8,254 ratings  ·  1,222 reviews
The follow-up to her critically acclaimed Lie to Me, J.T. Ellison’s Tear Me Apart is the powerful story of a mother willing to do anything to protect her daughter even as their carefully constructed world unravels around them.

One moment will change their lives forever…

Competitive skier Mindy Wright is a superstar in the making until a spectacular downhill crash threatens n
Published August 28th 2018 by MIRA

To ask other readers questions about Tear Me Apart, please sign up.
Kamas Kirian It's a stand alone, not part of a series. It has no common characters with Lie To Me.
Chirality I think it may have been a typo or autocorrect issue that wasn't noticed in editing. I assumed she says "bless you" when a stranger sneezes. but this …moreI think it may have been a typo or autocorrect issue that wasn't noticed in editing. I assumed she says "bless you" when a stranger sneezes. but this sentence definitely bugged me too! (less)

·  8,254 ratings  ·  1,222 reviews

Start your review of Tear Me Apart
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
4 shocking stars to Tear Me Apart! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Mindy Wright skis competitively, and she is on the verge of a breakout when she suffers a horrific crash. She sustains not just life-changing, but also life-threatening, injuries. Shockingly, her doctors find she has leukemia while she is undergoing surgery.

When a stem cell transplant is what she needs to survive, both her parents receive routine screening. Neither is a match...and neither parent is biologically related to Mindy!

Time is of the ess
Berit☀️✨
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley, 2018
4.5 Intensely Engrossing Stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟💫 This book was no bunny slope, it was a black diamond run all the way! This was a book that left you exhilarated and a little cold... filled with twists and turns with many bumps along the way.... there were many high flying moments as well as some close crashes.... so strap on those skis fasten those goggles, and get ready for an intense ride down the slope with this book....

Mindy Wright is a skiing prodigy on the brink of Olympic glory until.... a major cras
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddy-read
What a tangled web of lies J. T. Ellison has created!!! The more I read in this book, the more shocked I became with the twisted trail of deception that was uncovered by a single incident. Ellison is a favorite author of mine, and I noticed she liked to play with the reader a bit. She doesn’t mind having flawed characters. In fact, Ellison’s work thrives on flawed characters! But her characters feel real because of that. They feel like they make mistakes, they forgive those they shouldn’t, they ...more
Melisa
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was my first book by J.T. Ellison and it will not be my last! I was seriously impressed with Ellison’s writing and I have to admit, I have never had to look up so many words while reading a work of fiction - so hey thanks for increasing my vocabulary, Ms. Ellison!

When seventeen year old professional skier, Mindy, breaks her leg in a competition, a series of events unravel which will change the course of her and her family’s life forever.

This is a dark, multi-layered story that combines iss
Kaceey
3.25*
Mindy Wright is the latest, greatest downhill ski phenom. She’s just become the teenage champion and now has her sights squarely on the Olympics. In such a dangerous sport, serious injuries are unavoidable. So it was no real surprise when Mindy took a nasty spill. But unbelievably, her skiing injuries are the least of her problems.

Specialty surgeons quickly discover she has a potentially fatal illness. Now her most important race is against time, to do what’s necessary to find a cure for h
Susanne  Strong
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
3 Stars

Mindy Wright is teenage sensation. An Olympic hopeful Downhill Skier. The world is her oyster - that is until she break a leg on her last run down the mountain and loses the race. That not even the worst of it - when undergoing testing at the hospital, it is discovered that Mindy has a rare form of Leukemia and needs a stem cell transplant. When her parents are tested, a secret comes out. Neither are a match! Lauren, Mindy’s mother has known all along and yet she has never told anyone. No
Carrie
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
After loving Lie to Me last year I knew that I had to pick up a copy of Tear Me Apart by J.T. Ellison and give it a read. Now after Tear Me Apart I might as well add J.T. Ellison to my short list of authors to just grab no questions asked.

Mindy is an up and coming skier that the media is calling the next Lindsey Vonn who is in the process of trying out for the Olympic team when disaster strikes. At the last gate Mindy crashes and breaks her leg and is rushed to surgery where doctors find that sh
Nazanin
Oct 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, mystery, thriller
3.5 Stars

I really didn’t want to read this book! You know, very slow stories with almost 500 pages aren't my cup of tea but then I thought what if I listen to the audio!?! So I tried it and really enjoyed the audio! It has 6 performers! Yes, exactly! SIX.PERFORMERS! And that was why I didn’t get bored! The narration was really good! The disappointment part was the ending, as usual! I guessed it from the start and was hoping that I’m wrong but unfortunately, I was right! It was so obvious! Told i
James
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've read a few J.T. Ellison books over the last two years. When Tear Me Apart came out, I quickly added it to my TBR and looked forward to getting it scheduled in the queue. After reading lots of light cozy mysteries, I needed a stronger thriller or suspense last week and moved Tear Me Apart up on my list. I enjoyed the book a lot and walked away with tons of mixed emotions, ultimately settling on a solid 4 stars.

Mindy Wright is a 17-year-old competitive skier who is likely about to join the US
Felicia
Jul 29, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is just not my cup of hot chocolate.

Mindy is a 17 year old skiing phenomenon when she breaks her leg during a downhill run. As a result of pre-surgery blood testing, Mindy and her parents discover that she has leukemia and ultimately are told that Mindy's mother is not her biological parent. GASP!!!

I figured out without a doubt who Mindy's mother was on page 85 of 489 so that made it a long and tedious read for me. By the time the "how" of Mindy's parentage is revealed, I just didn't
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
5+++ stars from me! I have read quite a bit of really good books this year and this is one of them. This is a book that is going to stay with me. I requested this ARC simply based on the fact that I really like the last two books I have read by this author. No One Knows and Lie to Me were 5 stars in my book. So I had pretty high expectations. What I didn't know is that she managed to exceed them. This is my favorite work so far by her.

Mindy Wright is a 17 year old blazing the slopes as a champi
Lisa Gardner
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this thriller! I have been a fan of Ellison’s books for years but I particularly enjoyed this tale of family secrets. The characters are so well done—you immediately fall in love with the ski prodigy daughter, and care about what’s going to happen next. Add to that a plot full of unexpected twists and turns, and this is a perfect page turner. Definitely a great way to spend the weekend!
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: The metal of the casket is the same color as the sky, murky gray with touches of glinting silver as the sun passes behind the clouds. The sound of sobbing, the cries of the justified, the flailing of my heart. Why did I choose such a big casket? She doesn't fit. It's the smallest adult coffin they have, but it's still too large. She is lost inside. They should have handled this. The padding needed to be expanded so her body doesn't jostle.

The body. Her body.

The words I've heard in the
Kendall
Wow... Tear Me Apart is quite the ride my friends. This is a fast paced mystery/thriller that will leave your neck sore from turning back and forth!

I think it's best to go in blind with this one and avoid reading other people's reviews. The underlying story line is quite intriguing and has multiple layers to peel with this onion.
Talk about years worth of lies and lies. Characterization is a definitely a strong point in this story. Each character is well developed and adds more depth to the over
Kristy
Mindy Wright--an up and coming competitive teenage skier-- breaks her leg in competition. During surgery, doctors discover that Mindy is sick: she has an aggressive form of leukemia and needs a stem cell transplant. But when her family is tested, it is discovered that Mindy's parents are not her biological parents. What does this mean? Was she switched at birth, or did something more dark and dramatic happen? At the core, Mindy needs to live. But beyond that, what are the ramifications for the W ...more
Krystin Rachel
Book Blog | Bookstagram

“The words I’ve heard in the past few days are ones I never expected – new, untried, untested. Casket. Body. Funeral. Viewing. Embalming. Autopsy. Severed. Seven-inch non-corrosive steel blade. Homicide.”

Opening Hook: Broken bones, broken dreams
Main Character: Shouldn’t keep blood secrets when your sister works with DNA
Plot Twisty-ness: Are coincidences considered twists?

Okay, okay, OKAY. Y’all know I love me some J.T. Ellison.

It all started with her Taylor Jackson ser
Katie B
I have so many books on my to-be-read list that by the time I get around to reading one, I rarely remember the synopsis. I am glad I didn't bother to refresh my memory and instead just dove into this one because I think it works better as a compelling read the less you know ahead of time. In my opinion the twists and turns the story took are half the reason this was an entertaining read.

The action goes back and forth among different characters and for the most part I thought that enhanced the st
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

There is a nurse named Eleanor Snow who runs the ward, but we all call her Ratchet because she is a bitch. No one said we had to be original.

She doesn’t want to die. She feels the cancer moving through her, like a shadow in her blood. It has grown in the past few days, is becoming harder and harder to fight... Its snapping jaws are just there, out of reach, but for how long?

The words are absurd. This is one of those bizarre nightmares where you’re dreaming inside of a dream, a
Linda Strong

Mindy Wright, 17-year-old darling of the ski slopes, is an Olympic contender until a breathtaking downhill crash leaving her in the hospital with a broken leg. But maybe this is a blessing in disguise. While undergoing surgery, doctors find that she is suffering from a severe form of leukemia and only a stem cell transplant is her only hope.

Bad things go even worse. When her parents are tested to be donors, they discover that her father is not he father. But the family knows this already .. he a
ʚϊɞ Shelley's ʚϊɞ Book Nook
I know I am not going to make many friends with this review as I am in the minority, and this book has many four and five star ratings. This is the first book I've ever read by this author and I must say I wasn't impressed. I really felt talked down to while reading this book. It's as if the author was writing for a child and had to explain EVERY. SINGLE. THING. Not cool Ms. Ellison. I also found that a lot of the book just wasn't plausible, like the aunt knowing the password to patient files at ...more
Libby
3.75 stars rounded up. J. T. Ellison’s novel ‘Tear Me Apart’ dazzles with its complexity and dynamic plot. The prologue, set at University Hospital in Nashville, Tennessee in 1993 is cinematic and revealing. Two young girls, age sixteen, will be housed in the psychiatric unit, providing the fulcrum on which this tale will turn. Vivian has been struggling with depression and has tried to commit suicide three times. Upset at the intrusion of a new roommate, Vivian finds the new girl sitting on the ...more
Dennis
3.5/5 stars

This review will be short and sweet, because it's really one of those novels that you need to go in blind for (so don't read more than the synopsis, folks). In true JT Ellison fashion, Tear Me Apart is a wild ride, told by an author who is a master of her craft. Mindy Wright is an up and coming professional skier with the whole world ahead of her. She is on the verge of great success, with the possibility of joining the US Olympic team. Mindy's dreams come crushing down on her aft
Mandy White
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
There has not been an book by JT Ellison that I have not loved.....and Tear Me Apart did not disappoint at all. She is an author whose writing is emotional and honest and I can't get enough. This book made me cry, smile and think - it is a rollercoaster of emotions and I loved it!!

Mindy Walker is a competitive skier, well on her way to representing the USA in the winter Olympics...until she crashes and breaks her leg. Whilst in surgery for her leg, doctors discover that she is seriously ill with
ABookwormWithWine
⭐️⭐️⭐️💫 / 5 rounded up.

I really wanted to love Tear Me Apart by J.T. Ellison, I really did. Unfortunately, this one ended up being more of a "like" for me, and I didn't love it near as much as Lie to Me.

What it's about: 17 year old Mindy Wright is quickly rising in the ranks of competitive skiing, and seems like a shoo-in to qualify for the US Olympic Team. That is, until a horrible crash jeopardizes both her skiing career and her life. While at the hospital doctors discover that Mindy is suffe
Jamie Rosenblit
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
A unique thrill ride from start to finish - psychiatric hospitals, family secrets and professional skiing? How are these various stories connected over time? JT Ellison weaves a flawless integration that kept me wanting to know more the entire time! Down to the very last page, I was on the edge of my seat questioning what would happen next!

Thank you to Harlequin for an advanced copy. All opinions are my own.
Kat
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-2, favorites
Wow, what a great read! When Mindy, a world class competitive skier, breaks her leg in competition, it’s discovered in blood testing that she has leukemia and need a transplant. But that’s not the only thing the doctors find. Apparently, Mindy’s parents are not related to her by blood, and her mother has been keeping her adoption a secret from everyone else in the family.

This was so good… full of twists and turns that I wasn’t expecting as Juliet, Mindy’s aunt and a DNA specialist investigator,
Tammy
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: release-2018
How far will a mother go to protect her child?

J.T. Ellison’s new novel is jam-packed with riveting family drama.. and with a multitude of deception flying around it took me on a non-stop THRILL ride! It also deals with important issues of mental illness and suicide.
Teen sensation Mindy is an Olympic skiing contender until a downhill crash hospitalizes her with a broken leg. While undergoing surgery doctors discover she has leukemia. Bad goes to worst, she finds her “parents” aren’t matches as bl
Janelle Janson
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you so much Harlequin and MIRA Books for providing my free copy of TEAR ME APART by J.T. Ellison - all opinions are my own.

I was obsessed with LIE TO ME so I knew I had to read this book! And guess what?...it totally exceeded my expectations! Although, I wouldn’t put this one in the exact same category, as it’s more of a book of carefully crafted slow reveals and suspense.

Mindy, an Olympics-bound 17-year-old Colorado skier, takes a brutal fall on the slopes and is rushed to the hospital. A
MissBecka
Amazing ideas in this book and I was really excited to read this.
The writing is wonky (I don't know how to explain it...it's just "off" for me).
It felt dragged out at times. Had far too much detail for some of the less important and mundane things/acts/scenes.
It was interesting. I just think it could have been about 250 pages shorter than it was and still would have crossed all the T's and dotted all the I's on the backstory and mystery.
Lou
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
'Tear Me Apart' is the follow-up novel to 'Lie To Me' written by New York Times and USA Today bestselling author J.T. Ellison, and having loved 'Lie To Me' I was so excited to read this. It didn't disappoint!

Mindy is a professional skier and superstar of tomorrow, who whilst on the slopes injures herself and is taken to hospital. But a broken bone is not the only thing they discover, she also has an aggressive form of Leukemia. Whilst the doctors work out what are the best forms of treatment for
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page count 3 24 Aug 31, 2018 11:04AM

• The First Mistake
  • The Nanny
  • An Unwanted Guest
  • The Night Olivia Fell
J.T. Ellison began her career as a presidential appointee in the White House, where a nuclear physicist taught her how to obsess over travel itineraries and make a seriously good pot of Earl Grey, spawning both her love of loose leaf and a desire for control of her own destiny. Jaded by the political climate in D.C., she made her way back to her first love, creative writing. More than 20 novels la ...more