Start by marking “The Secret Shortcut” as Want to Read:
The Secret Shortcut

The Secret Shortcut

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  275 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Wendell and Floyd can't seem to get to school on time. Wendell discovers a shortcut so secret that only he knows about it. Soon both boys are lost in a wild jungle full of quicksand, monkeys, and crocodiles! Who would have thought that getting to school could be such an adventure?
Published September 1st 1999 by Scholastic Inc. (first published September 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Shortcut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Shortcut

Sarah Sammis
Jan 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sarah by: Sean
The Secret Shortcut by Mark Teague draws on the same idea of magical worlds being accessible from the most mundane places as is explored in The Lost and Found. Where The Lost and Found was located in a school, The Secret Shortcut is located somewhere en route to school.

Wendell and Floyd, the main characters from The Lost and Found are always late to work. They have magnificent excuses and given Teague's mixture of the urban and the fantastic, I take their explanations at face value. Their teache
Mitchell
A children's book set out of time - because everyone know's that children no longer walk to school by themselves. And certainly don't get to get lost on the way. Or play. With over the top art. And I'm never quite sure - maybe the boys really did see aliens. And pirates. And jungles. They certainly found a mud puddle.
Nada
Oct 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Secret Shortcut was a wonderful story that takes us as a the reader on a trip with two boys from reality to escaping reality and then back to reality again.

The story starts as an illustration bordered in white with the text written on the bottom of the white boarder. This signifies that we are in reality. The rest of the story is full of double page spreads that are full bleed which allows us to feel as though we have escaped reality and are in the imaginations of the two boys in the story.
Jenny
Sep 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-the-kids
Getting to school seems to always be an adventure for two boys who can't get there on time. Part of me likes the imagination in all the things that happen to the boys as they try to get to school on time. However, I mostly don't like what I see as excuses for being late to school. Lol. I put a lot of stock in being responsible. Ha ha.
Jackie
Dec 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, school
Finding a shortcut to school can take imagination, ingenuity, and planning...and that's just what Wendell and Floyd do to avoid the wrath of their teacher for being late. The Secret Shortcut is full of brightly colored acrylic illustrations which really bring home the point.
Alaina Sloo
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fun read-aloud book for preschool - kindergarten. The youngest children don't understand the make-believe vs. real aspect of the story, but all the kids love the crazy adventures of the two boys.
Alicia
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book with my summer reading camp students. They thought it was a good book because:
It had awesome pictures.
The boys (Wendell and Floyd) got muddy.
They found a shortcut.
They found a secret spot.
They didn't like it because...
It was too preposterous. (One of our vocabulary words)
Vipula
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had so much fun reading this to my 3 year old son. Floyd and Wendell's daily adventure while going to school are interesting no matter how old you are. It's a reminder to grown-ups on how much of our imagination we lose as we grow up.
Catherine
This delightful story reminded me of walking to and from school in my own childhood. Very many children it will be a comical adventure. I think it is not quite right for my first graders in the suburbs, but maybe for the second graders.
Klyon
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoy Mark Teague books.
Agaughan68
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mark Teague has an inventive story on how to boys get to school. The illustrations in this book are remarkable. A fun book to read aloud to a group of first graders!
Sherrie Gallagher

The Secret Shortcut is about two boys, Wendell and Floyd, who are always late for school because of some crazy mishap that happens on their way to school. So, one day, Wendell decides that they should take a shortcut to school. And so they take the shortcut through the jungle of their neighborhood.

The first and last pages have a border around it. The first page has a border to show the school and to create distance between the reader and the illustrations. This shows reality and then the pages
Liz Todd
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Always so much fun to read to a group of kids!
Caroline
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Genre and type: Fiction and realistic fiction
Awards: none
Summary: Wendell and Floyd are having problems being late to school. For three days, things kept happening to them so they were tardy: space creatures, pirates, and frogs stopped them. On Thursday, they decided to leave extra early so they would arrive. On the way to school, they took a shortcut and ended up far, far away from the school. They encountered forests, jungles, swamps swimming with crocodiles, even a gorge. They end up climbing
Gloria Barbee
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Secret Shortcut by Mark Teague is a whimsical story of two boys trying to escape the reality of their frequent tardiness to school. The main characters Wendell and Floyd take on a daily adventure of over coming impossible obstacles to arrive to school, only to be late each time. Their teacher is often upset with their crazy excuses for being late. On one fine day they decide to take a secret short cut. Once again Wendell and Floyd avoid several surprising obstacles as they cross a jungle in ...more
Brittany
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a story about 2 friends who are consistently late for school because something inevitably happens to them on their way to school in the morning. The boys end up making it to school by taking their “shortcut” but always find adventures on the way.
The first image shows the reader looking up at the very angry teacher who warns them to get to school on time. This shows the reader that the teacher has the power in the beginning of the story. The first picture is also bordered. But as we conti
Olivia
Nov 27, 2016 added it
Shelves: wow-books
The Secret Shortcut is about two boys who cannot get to school on time. Their teacher is upset with them because they are always late. She tells them they better start getting to school on time so they come up with a "short cut" so they won't be late. They travel through what seems like the jungle to get to school and eventually arrive... on time! The teacher doesn't want to know how they got there on time but she is happy about it.

I think my kindergarten class would love this book. It would be
Debbie
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Secret Shortcut is an escaping reality picturebook. It is about two boys who never seem to get to school on time. They experience different adventures that keep them from arriving on time. Their teacher gets on them about it so they try a shortcut that Wendell knows about. They climb over and through neighbors yards and still find adventures. They just can't stay away from them. One adventure took them through a jungle full of parrots, snakes, rhinocerous', all kinds of reptiles, fowls and s ...more
Brittany Cronin
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Secret Shortcut by Mark Teague is an engaging story that takes the reader on an escape inside and outside of reality. Every morning on the way to school to two boys seem to have an adventure that make them late to school. The boys experience jungles, aliens and more, but obviously no one believes their excuses for why they are consistently late to school. When they story is written from the reality perspective, the illustrations are bordered in white. When it turns into a full bleed of doubl ...more
Sheena
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a great adventure book for students in grades K-2. Wendell and Floyd can't seem to make it to school on time, so one day they decided to take a secret "shortcut" as an alternative route to school and that is when the adventure begins! Teachers could use this book to teach students about details in writing and how to use their imagination to get those details. This book does a great job with getting its readers to imagine just how marvelous that secret shortcut was. With the great use of ...more
Megan Goss
Oct 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The first thing I noticed about the first page is that the teacher was drawn much larger (like a giant) than the 2 boys, which portrays her power over the children. I like the imagination of the boys, “captured by space creatures” for the reason why they were late to school. The perspective of this book changes quite a bit from a worm’s eye view on the ground to a bird’s eye view in the trees; this creates the sense of movement or action throughout the book. The colors of the illustrations are v ...more
Jen Zuvella
Sep 11, 2012 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book, my favorite part was how the teacher got mad at the boys on the first page and then we found out why the teacher kept getting mad at the boys. Everyday they showed up late to school with a different excuse, first met space creatures, pirates, and a plague of frogs. The fantasy continued as the boys tried to get to school on time, but thought a short cut was a good idea. I personally think younger boys would really like to hear this story in class. It is an easy read a ...more
J-Lynn
A fun story about two boys who can't seem to get to school on time. Every morning they have wild, fantastical adventures that make them late. Ranging from alien invasions to mysterious jungles; no one believes the boys' excuses for being tardy.

An exciting book that could be used to discuss the fantasy genre or the overactive imagination of children. The multi-racial boys are conscientious, leaving the house earlier and earlier to try to get to school on time. A fun look at friendship that has an
Sarah Leesman
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The Secret Shortcut is a story about two little boys named Wendell and Floyd who are constantly late for school. They leave early for school every morning but end up arriving at school late. On Monday it was space creatures, on Tuesday it was the pirates, and on Wednesday it was a plague of frogs. Their teacher, Ms. Gernsblatt, warned them never to be late for school again so they left even earlier. They tried to take a shortcut but ended up in the jungle. On Thursday they made it to school on t ...more
Valissa
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wendell and Floyd never make it to school on time, they are too busy being abducted by aliens, avoiding nefarious pirates, and dodging a plague of frogs until their teacher smacks down the ultimatum – be on time and no more ridiculous excuses! As children do, they determine that the most obvious solution is a secret shortcut! They soon enter even deeper into a more fantastical wild world with swirling waters, lush trees and animals as wild as their imaginations. This story and its rich and color ...more
Kim
Jul 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
This is a book with very fun illustrations and humor with a twist! Wendell and Floyd cannot get to school on time and their teacher is not happy. But what are two boys to do when they are held up by aliens, pirates, and a plague of frogs? Well find a shortcut - except this one ends up with steep ravines, jungle animals, crocodiles and a deep, rocky gorge. Will they make it to school on time?

I support independent book stores - please use this link to find a store or purchase this book:
Dolly
Jan 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a humorous tale about two boys who valiantly attempt to make it to school on time. The adventure that they go on is very imaginative and entertaining. Mark Teague's acrylic illustrations are very colorful and cartoonish and are as good as we've come to expect from him. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Connie
Apr 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
The two main characters in this book are always late for school because something ALWAYS comes up. If it's not aliens, it's pirates. Or frogs!

So they decide to leave super early and take a shortcut... that leads them through a jungle... and into a swamp... oh dear.

It's really funny as you read it, and the nieces get a kick out of seeing them swinging through vines and (in the epilogue) scrambling over rocks. Definitely check this one out.
Jordan
Oct 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Wendell and Floyd are two young boys who have a problem being tardy at school. They resolve to find a faster way to school. On their shortcut they enter a jungle and become lost. Eventually they hear the school bell, and are able to find their way out of the jungle and to school just in time for the tardy bell. This book plays on the imagination and escapism through it's colorful and vibrant pictures. The swirls and cartoonish images depict a playful tone and escape from reality.
Rebecca Early
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure
I really like this book. Its about two boys that are late for school and one of the boys says they have a shortcut to take. It leads to them into a jungle and running into obstacles that they have to do because they have to get to school. Such a fun and interesting story. Children would love this book. Also close relating to some of what the students would do if they were actually late to school, or on a real school day. Explaining what their morning before school consists of.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Objects as Characters 1 1 Sep 08, 2011 12:24PM
  • The Flying Dragon Room
  • Harvey Potter's Balloon Farm
  • King Arthur's Very Great Grandson
  • The Great Gracie Chase - Stop That Dog!
  • The Dog Who Had Kittens
  • The Flower Man
  • Jonathan and the Big Blue Boat
  • Knots on a Counting Rope
  • Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash
  • Good Thing You're Not an Octopus!
  • Chicks and Salsa
  • In a Blue Room
  • Long Live Earth
  • Honey... Honey... Lion!
Mark Teague has delighted young readers with more than 20 picture books, and he has written many of them himself, including the popular Pigsty, Baby Tamer, and One Halloween Night. He is also the illustrator of Cynthia Rylant's beloved Poppleton series for beginning readers and the best-selling books by Jane Yolen, How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight and How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon.

Mark Teague's lif