Start by marking “The Devil's Own (Hellraisers, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Devil's Own (Hellraisers, #2)

The Devil's Own

(Hellraisers #2)

Of the lot, this man was still her best bet. He not only looked the most inebriated, but the most disreputable – lean and hungry and totally without principle. Once he was sober, he would no doubt be easy to buy.

“Sister” Kerry Bishop got more than she bargained for when she entered the seedy bar seeking the services of a man, more particularly a mercenary. Linc O’Neal
Published January 1st 2001 (first published January 1st 1987)

Start your review of The Devil's Own (Hellraisers, #2)
*TANYA*
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yay!! We have a winner!!! Very adorable, classic Sandra Brown!!! The story was endearing and not at all cheesy like her older books. Very entertaining.
Mo
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,75 stars

One of Sandra Brown's earlier books. Not much suspense or crime but it was an easy read and I enjoyed it. Linc, as per her heroes, was a bit of a macho man (hairy chest included) but this is par for the course in a SB book.

My previous book was a little bit intense so I wanted something a little lighter.

This guy might be a little young looking ... but he is cute.

Kerry was no pushover. I liked her. I also enjoyed reading about the characters from the previous book.

MBR
Mar 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Sandra Brown, Fans of RS, Fans of Jungle-trek adventure
4 Stars Romantic Suspense

Wow!!!
That was exactly what I was looking for when I chose to re-read this oldie goody from Sandra Brown wrote under her pseudonym Erin St. Claire. Sandra Brown’s earlier books deliver in spades on what I look for when I read romances. She gives me exactly what I need with her larger than life, tortured and hot as sin heroes and delivers on all fronts with the right kind of heroine to bring down the hero to his knees. I just love her older books and get my fix now and
Cheri
May 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never read the Led Astray because it did not really interest me. You don't actually have to read #1 to understand this book. I liked it but did not love it. An older release for SB and not much mystery to it. I liked the H&h together after all was said and done. Linc was brash and rude but he grew on me. I always enjoy a HEA :)
Saly
The Devil's Own started out really well, set in Montenegro where Kerry Bishop walks into a bar having stolen a truck, to find the most down on luck guy and then pay him to help her, she finds one drinking away merrily and his bags convince her he is a mercenary, so despite his refusal, she makes use of her dress and in the role of a prostitute convinces him to come with her. Then she takes away his weapons so that he doesn't attack her once he is awake.

Linc O’Neal gets up to find that he has
Nancy
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
I used to find Sandra Brown a reliable source for snack reading--romantic thrillers, great stuff for a long car ride or on the beach. This book doesn't match up to Brown's better work.

Much of the plotline is just unbelievable, beginning with the fact that Brown uses a made-up country (perfectly fine) in Central America that already exists in Eastern Europe. There is so little subtlety in the way the characters are drawn, and midway through the book, after a big adventure shootout, the action
Judy Churchill
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it
This was short and sweet without much depth to the plot. The potential was there - escaping from a war torn third world nation with nine orphans offered many opportunities for plot development that just didn’t happen. Still, it was an enjoyable book.
Jane Davis
Jun 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is unrest in a Latin American country. She has nine children she wants to get to freedom and needs a mercenary to protect them. She spots one in a cantina. He is sitting at the bar, dirty, disreputable and drunk {Tell me if you've heard this before}, his heavy bags of equipment at his feet. She sidles up to him, "A drink, senor?" Eventually she gets him in a truck and off they go.

Once he sobers, she finds he is not a mercenary but the equally surly, profane award-winning photojournalist
Louise Cable
Nov 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
My first book I have won for the chance to read and review and I was very pleasantly surprised.

It only took a few pages before I became absorbed in the story and I really enjoyed reading this.

A young lady risks her life to save 9 children from almost certain death mainly to proove a point to society that she is nothing like her corrupt father. She tricks a man she thinks is a mercenery into helping her but he isn't what he appears to be.

A lot of drama and heated scenes between them and the
Kathy
Apr 18, 2011 rated it did not like it
This is the first book by Sandra Brown that I've tried. It was a huge disappointment. Kerry acts ridiculous and very unbelievable. I actually wanted Linc to just leave her when she destroyed all his film. Then she tells him she's a nun to keep him from seducing her? Pleeeeze...I just wanted to shove her off a bridge and shout "Run, Linc, Run!" ;-)

I couldn't even finish this book. Maybe I need to try one of SB's more recent books. Considering her popularity, surely all her books aren't this bad.
Mandy
Dec 15, 2011 rated it did not like it
This book was way too cliche, not to mention cheesy. Sandra Brown's books always seem to have the same theme: rugged, handsome, bad boy falls in love with the typical damsel in distress. The whole premise is getting pretty tired. I was sorely disappointed in this book, because I have enjoyed many of her other books. This one was just a little too unrealistic.
Judy
Aug 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This was a great book of romantic suspense. Kerry Bishop coerces Linc O'Neal, a famous photographer, into helping her rescue some orphans from a Central American country where a revolution is occuring. Lots of action occurs during the course of the story as they make their way through the jungle to freedom.
Jennifer Brown
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have I ever mentioned how much I love Sandra Brown's books?? Even her older romances are wonderful. I liked the adventure in the jungle and the saving of the kids in this one. I'm curious though if Cage and Jenny have a story out there somewhere. The only problem with older books is that they are hard to find now.
Dita L.
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasnt expecting this book to be so good.
I have to admit that I was expecting silly story with awkward sexual scenes with no plot.
But it was excelent written heart warming passionate story about steadiness, self-denial and real love. First book where I was enjoying even the sexual scenes, there were no awkward moments.
Really great relaxation choice.
Natalija
May 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
This is the second book in Ms Brown's "Hellraisers" series & it's more suspensful than the first book. All in all I enjoyed it & the book kept my attention till the last page. The reason behind 3 star rating is angry sex. I really dislike when hero decides to punish heroine for something she did or didn't do or tell and acts like a jerk. Anyway, give this book a try!
Sandy (WI girl at heart)
Finished Sandra Brown's book THE DEVIL'S OWN. New author for me and really not my "cup of tea".

Sloppy writing and too predictable from start to finish.

Would I recommend it to others: no Would I read it again: no.
Lea's Audiobooks Hensley
Renee Raudman 5 star performance but this 1980s romance barely worked for me. I have such a problem with lies and the heroine lied most of the way through. Overly demanding hero turned to pussy cat in the end - way too 80s for me.
Scott Benoit
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
well the story itself was awesome. little too heavy on the romance part for me. the whole rescuing the kids and adopting out was totally cool. my kind of reading
Laura Beasley
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
I give this book 2.5 stars. This is a quick read and a short book. The story is typical boy meet girl and falls in love. This story has a little more to it but the plot could have been developed more. Enjoyed the store and like Sandra Browns book and they are a break from other books that are very deep. Linc is in a bar drinking when he is approached by what he thinks is a prostitute. He leaves with her and later find out she needs him to help her get 9 orphans to safety where they are to be ...more
Chaitalee Ghosalkar
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
The book has its usual 80's read feel to it. So if you are a feminist, or even someone who is all for gender equality, the chauvinism will choke you.

There is some thrill in the setting though. Kerry Bishop is on a mission to save nine orphans from a war fraught country. In the process she kind of kidnaps a mercenary (she thinks he is one) to make the transfer easier. The rest of the book comprises the rescue, the disclosure about the lie Kerry told the male lead Linc O' Neal, and some well known
Heide Katros
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Devil's Own by Sandra Brown

As always Sandra Brown delivers reading pleasure on several levels. Line almost came across too alpha, but the master she is she balanced it perfectly with Kerry's character and feminist you. The Devil's Own is highly entertaining and I loved it.
Reviewed by Heide Katros. Winter Haven News, FL
Amy Xu
Jul 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
I'm a big fan of Sandra Brown's usual suspense-and-romance books, so I got this on a whim from the library. I was extremely disappointed in the book. Exceedingly predictable, poor writing, and full of romance-novel trope (ridiculous arguments to "further" the plot, will-she-won't-she, etc).

Quick read, but very glad I borrowed this book rather than purchased it.
robin oliver
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I give this book 5 stars. I recommend everyone read books by sandra brown her books are all worth my time. Sometimes i feel like i am a character in her books.

I love all of Sandra Brown's books. She make reading easy and keeps you on your toes. I have never been disappointed in her books.
Daniell Marsh
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kerry had to find someone to help her get nine orphans through the jungle with a war going on. She found someone but He wasn't who she expected. Seemed a quick read as you followed along with the characters with all the problems they run into. Hard to put down as kept you involved in the story.
Capri Kay
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like any Sandra Brown novel this one didn’t disappoint. It was emotionally charged. I give it 4.5 stars because I felt like the second part of the book lagged after Kerry and Linc left Montenegro with the kids. But the romance was very hot and very steamy. God I’ll always remember Sandra Brown for keeping me sane through my awkward, virgin early 20s.
Betty Ann Burban
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thrilling and dangerous

Central America in the midst of strife and warfare,two people go against the odds to rescue eight orphans and discover themselves caught up in an orthodox attraction
Nana
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love the book so much !!
Judith Antoine
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short and Sweet

With just the right amount of suspense and attraction between the two main characters, this book was a very good read indeed.
Sandra
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was exciting, but it also had it's sweet 'romantic' parts.
Kay
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sandra Brown knows how to put a great thrilling story line together with a wonderful love story. Always a happy ending so you won't be left depressed and wondering.
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Treasure Worth Seeking
  • The Silken Web
  • Tomorrow's Promise
  • Love's Encore
  • Eloquent Silence
  • Adam's Fall (Mason Sisters, #2)
  • Shadows of Yesterday
  • Tempest in Eden
  • In a Class By Itself
  • Thursday's Child
  • Prime Time
  • Demon Rumm
  • Another Dawn (Coleman Family Saga #2)
  • Heaven's Price
  • Hawk O'Toole's Hostage
  • Fanta C (Mason Sisters, #1)
  • The Alibi
  • White Hot

Hellraisers (2 books)
  • Led Astray (Hellraisers, #1)