Start by marking “Mistress of Redemption (Nature of Desire, #5)” as Want to Read:
Mistress of Redemption (Nature of Desire, #5)

Mistress of Redemption (Nature of Desire #5)

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  824 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
The white-collar life Jonathan Powell created for himself is gone. Standing outside Wentworth prison after serving his five-year sentence, he knows he has to start over. No more hooking up with Dominant women so he can enjoy the challenge of screwing up their minds. But who knew his last target would be a psychopathic killer who tried to off two cops? No, it wasn't the gam ...more
Published September 6th 2006 by Ellora's Cave

To ask other readers questions about Mistress of Redemption, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mistress of Redemption

Holly
Sep 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hey, remember that asshole, Jonathan Powell? Well, he's baaack! And boy, does he get his.

Jonathan Powell has finished his five year debt to society for his part in the S&M killings that gripped Florida. After nearly causing the death of Violet and Mac Nighthorse, this unrepentant badboy is already eager to get back out there when an old mistress from his past zooms up in a red Mercedes. Her strong, take charge, kick ass persona is like waving a red flag in the face of this twisted submissiv
LMM
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. I thought Hill's imagination was at it's extremely clever best.

Be forewarned, this installment of the series is not like the rest. It is tripped out (yet deep & intelligent, IMO) & turns religious dogma on it's ear in a very subtle way.

It has an extremely existential bent to it & I really thought, "how better than to deal with a character like Jonathan?" so it really worked for me & I bought the angle.

My favorite aspect of the book was Hill's whole conce
Oct 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: pnr, bdsm
I'm a bit unsure of how to review this book. I enjoy contemporary stories and I enjoy PNR. However, I don't like for books in a series to switch genres. There were some allusions to other-ness in the first book of this series, but the books are decidedly contemporary. I know it shouldn't matter this much, but it throws me mentally to combine the varied worlds. I had a similar issue with Lori Foster's My Man, Michael.

Were this a PNR series, I would have given the book a higher rating. The writin
ShoSho
Aug 01, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: elib, x-2016, paranormal
I was looking forward to this book so much. The bad guy in the first 2 books in the series was going to be redeemed. What's better than that?
Well not this book. This book was horrible, it was an episode of twilight zone! The first 3 books are straight forward contemporary romances. The 4th book has a tiny little bit of fantasy, more like magical realism. But this one was just out of this world, literally! It takes place in purgatory and hell!
There were so many things wrong with this book that
evilqueen21
Oct 25, 2013 rated it did not like it
Ugh! How Ms. Hill went from 5 stars with Mirror of my Soul to this blows my mind. The sudden 'lets throw paranormal into the mix' kills me. I love paranormals and I love erotica, hell I've read and loved paranormal erotica before. However, the difference is I went into that world expecting it. I don't like when authors randomly insert paranormal elements into a series when prior to said book there was none. Totally ruined it for me in my personal opinion. I'll still give the next one in the seri ...more
Pam Godwin
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a comprehensive review of the series as a whole.

Every character is unique, each one bringing his/her own experiences to the BDSM scene. And every story is deeply buried under layers of hurt and distrust. But these characters are mighty, their love limitless. Lots of dungeon time, winding dark sensuality with anguish and courage, making these stories live on long after they’re devoured.
ElaineY
Jul 07, 2008 rated it did not like it
I don't like paranormals in general. This book had way too much paranormal stuff in it with weird half-human and half-animals. I couldn't even read more than a few chapters. Totally not my kind of genre.
Holly
Dec 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing

Spynonu
May 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own-it
Limecello
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
I loved the ending. All the PNR ... it's funny because I was thinking I wanted to read a PNR and had been set to read this - because I'd been glomming some of Ms. Hill's books.

It was ... O_o I mean it is hard. core. I don't know about the whole "redemption" part but - shit that's one way to do it.

I will say - I'm not 100% sure but - I don't think they let you keep piercings in prison? So ... but anyway. I'm talking in circles because if you read it, you get it. If you haven't - you'll ... you
Marion
When I was reading this I was appalled by what Mistress Donna put Jonathan through. Having read the other Joey Hill books I could not find one reason why he would have to go through redemption. Yes, he was a total jerk, who played mind games, was manipulative and hurt his "poor mistresses "feelings. It was not until towards the end of the book when it became clear that Mistress Donna's goal was to save his soul. It was more violent then i am comfortable with but still a very good read.
May 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
No. Just no. She just totally went and jumped the shark with this one which is really so disappointing. This was such an amazing series until she decided to move this series into crazy paranormal and I like paranormal books but not randomly in the middle of series which contains no hint of it previously.
Kathy
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: bdsm, dnf, erotica
Just couldn't get into it. :(
Joy
Mar 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Talk about a trip to hell--this book is quite different from the previous "Nature of Desire" series--it's good--just very different
Jaime
Not my favourite book in the series why did it all off a sudden become a paranormal book.
E.P.
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whoa! Someone recommended Joey Hill to me, and I went into it not sure what I would find, but I certainly wasn't expecting this! The main character is apparently the villain from an earlier work that I haven't read, and is just getting out of prison after serving the sentence given to him at the end of the previous work. He is picked up outside the prison by a Domme from the club he used to frequent, only

****MAJOR MAJOR SPOILER ALERT******

she actually takes him down into Purgatory, where she is
Mar 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bd-sm, erotic-romance
A very interesting addition to this series which is not paranormal usually, but contemporary BDSM. This book however, was largely paranormal in nature which might throw some people off. If you've read the Daughters of Arrienne, then you'll recognize Lucifer in all his winged majesty (he's NOT the Devil in this, btw, but the guardian in charge of the redemption of sinners).
Jonathan Powell was the manipulating sub that almost got Mac and Violet from book 3 killed. He's spent 5 years in jail for h
Sarah-jane
Mar 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm still reading it, and a little under halfway through in one sitting.
So far, while it's got more of a sense of 'hardcore' and force to it than I'm normally used to, Joey manages to balance that with emotional depth between the characters well enough that I don't particularly mind. Not to mention, the -- I hesitate to call him the hero -- the main male character deserves at least a little of what he's given. In book two of the series, the conniving little thing almost killed one of the best ch
Noura
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Jonathan Powell - the guy we loved to hate in the 2 books in NoD series is back and he is getting his comeuppance in a horrific way. (I wish all *ssh*les in the real world get the same treatment. But i digress....)

This story is intense. Intensely painful to read. The story is good - bad guy gets his due in the afterlife, realizes the error of his ways, repents and gets another shot in life. And J Hill does not disappoint in the roller coaster ride of emotions going through the characters in the
Ceeri Jay
Oh dear. Do not read this as your first Joey Hill book. Or second. Or ...

Was flummoxed to find myself starting on a contemporary modern book that seemed to follow on from the book Natural Law (a great read BTW) only to find myself in paranormal land??!
Got too confused and a bit too irritated with the many women/sirens that seemed set on making Nathan/Jonathan's existence a living hell (that alone should have made me twig, right?)

Did not, could not. Would not finish this book.

Am a bit nervous
Lani ⚔⚔  the Destroyer ⚔⚔
Woah this one came out of left field!

I hate writing negative reviews so I will make this brief.

Joey is a fantastic writer and I have loved almost everything I have read by her. This series however is a contemporary romance and I HATE how authors throw in paranormal elements into a contemp series. That aside, the hero sucked. Like I wouldn't have given a flying f**k if he got shanked in the prison yard and bleed out before anyone could get to him. He was a villain in previous who totally deserved
Sienna Stone
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For those who enjoy simple romance with a little BDSM spice, this is NOT the book for you. With this book in her popular Natural Law series, Joey Hill has dived deep into the dynamics of submission and domination and the interplay of power dynamics. There's also a supernatural element that many readers found off-putting, but I enjoyed. It allows the story to really go all out in a way that most BDSM books can't.

For readers that sensitive to triggers, there are some very disturbing parts to this
Kelly
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This story takes a wide turn in the Nature of Desire series for Joey Hill, but even in its strange and bewildering subject, it only proves Ms. Hill's depth of revelation and true belief in her characters. Jonathon Powell is released from prison after his stay of 5 years, after his part in nearly killing our beloved Mac Nighthorse. Jonathon is tempted past the gates of Hell by Dona and their journey of redemption is what this story entails. If you read it for what is is without judging Jonathon a ...more
Sue
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm not quite sure how to rate this book. It was very weird. Not at all like the rest of the books in the series, and I spent the first part of the book trying to figure out what the heck was going on. When I finally figured out what was going on, I wasn't sure if I was interested in finishing or not -- I did finish but with very mixed feelings. Had I realized it was extremely paranormal bdsm with extreme emphasis on sadism and other worldly revenge, I don't know that I would have started the bo ...more
Judy
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Every time I come back to another of Ms. Hill's books, I remember just how much they feel like home to me. She writes with a sense of soul knowledge that is unparalleled. This book evoked shades of my own soul and took me on a trip through heaven and hell with is sense of spiritual truth disguised as a story about a man and a woman. Spellbinding and universally appealing, this story showed me truth, beauty, pain, joy, and a depth not usually braved by most. Thank you Ms. Hill!
Sharyn
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, tear-jerkers
Update - I was finally able to fully engage the characters without being distracted by the paranormal elements by the time I reached chapter 6. I'm so glad I was able to finish; powerful story.

I really don't know if I can keep reading this book. I don't like paranormal or fantasy. The categories on this book should changed. I feel compelled to read it e cause I have loved the series prior to this book.
Evanne Lorraine
I've read several of Joey W. Hill's titles I adored. The prose in this story is consistently deft and graceful. The emotional conflict sharp and well portrayed.

My complaint might well be minor for another reader. Despite being set in the afterlife, this story felt too real, which spoiled the sexy fantasy for me.

I recommend this book for anyone who enjoys a thoroughly tortured alpha sub being redeemed by a firm, but loving Mistress.
Debbie
okay so. this one, i found the hardest to read. its about Jonathon who nearly got Mac killed in Natural Law. however, it flipped from Nathan to Jonathon (same person!) in the beginning, alot, and it took some time for me to figure out jonathon was a persona of Nathan, and Nathan was who Dona was after. its also quite a bit darker, deeper and so much deadlier than the others, im not sure i liked it.

i did like the paranormal twist thown in, and the fact that they got their HEA x
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Well, it is quite a challenge to take a negative character from two prior books in the series and mold him into a man worthy of HEA (Happy Ever After). Leave it to Joey Hill to depart from the confines of reality based storytelling in order to make it happen. Best of all, the reader is not forcibly convinced to forgive Jonathan, or even Dona for that matter, but in the end I believed in their journey. This had some hints of truly violent D/s but it worked for me in the context.
Jessica
Jun 21, 2012 rated it liked it
I READ ALOT OF JOEY'S BOOKS AND THIS IS THE FIRST ONE I DIDNT REALLY CARE FOR. IT WAS A LIL ODD AND TOOK ME AWHILE TO READ IT. IF IT WAS IN A SERIES..I MIGHT HAVE SKIPPED IT. ABOUT 70% IN THE BOOK IS WHERE IT PICKED UP AND I STARTED TO ENJOY IT. I THINK IF IT SPENT MORE TIME DURING THE PRESENT IT WOULD BE BETTER. I LIKED THE ENDING AND THINK THAT COULD OF BEEN LONGER BC IT WAS SWEET BETWEEN DONA AND NATHAN. IM GLAD I FINISHED IT AND NOW I CAN MOVE ON TO THE NEXT BOOK IN THE SERIES.
  • Unlaced (Knights of the Board Room, #2)
  • Master of Desire (Brides of Caralon, #2)
  • A Man Worth Fighting For (Wiccan Haus #2)
  • Still (Long Slow Tease, #1)
  • The One Worth Finding
  • Hunting JC (Sherman Family #1)
  • Meredith's Awakening (Worthington Group, #2)
  • Dance of the Crystal (Dance, #3)
  • Into His Keeping
  • Handcuffs and Headlocks (Rawlings Men #3)
  • Dragon's Prey (Shadow of the Dragon, #4)
  • Accidental Slave
  • Dangerous Cravings (Dangerous Cravings, #1)
  • Sweet Awakening (Tygers, #4)
  • Enchained
  • The Ultimate Kink (Quinn Security, #2)
  • Iron Man (Blood Slaves, #2)
  • Lethal Obsession (Lethal Obsession, #1)
"BDSM Romance for the Heart & Soul"

Winner of the RT Book Reviews Career Achievement award, Joey W. Hill has published over forty contemporary and paranormal BDSM erotic romances, including six series. Her emotionally-intense love stories offer everything from vampires, mermaids, witches and angels, to boardroom executives, cops and simple housemaids.

Free excerpts from all her works are availa
More about Joey W. Hill

Nature of Desire (10 books)
  • Holding the Cards (Nature of Desire, #1)
  • Natural Law (Nature of Desire, #2)
  • Ice Queen (Nature of Desire, #3)
  • Mirror of My Soul (Nature of Desire, #4)
  • Rough Canvas (Nature of Desire, #6)
  • Branded Sanctuary (Nature of Desire, #7)
  • Divine Solace (Nature of Desire, #8)
  • Worth the Wait (Nature of Desire, #9)
  • Truly Helpless (Nature of Desire, #10)