Start by marking “Shards: A Poetry Collection” as Want to Read:

and reform.

This is
Her journey…
Her Shards…

SHARDS is a modern-poetry collection.
It is about the journey of a girl as she struggles to come to terms with what she has endured. It is divided into four sections, where each section covers a major aspect of her journey. And how she gains the courage to stand up and
Published December 12th 2017 by Amazon Digital Services LLC

To ask other readers questions about Shards, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shards

Start your review of Shards: A Poetry Collection
Naima

Following a similar structure to Milk and Honey, this collection is divided into four sections: the shattering, the redemption, the rising and the reforming. Even though this is only the third poetry book I have read, I felt like there were a few things missing in this collection.

What makes modern poetry so popular and accessible, in my opinion, is that they’re smart and pack a certain punch that make you feel something – often in just a few sentences. I don't think that was the case
Angela Ambrosini
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Contained with an element of surprise, reading the intimate thoughts in the newly released book, Shards, by Fariha Khayyam, the collection is comprised of utter courage and strength.

Khayyam writes in with a poetic and musical rhythm that draws you deeper and closer. Throughout the collection, the narrator walks you through her most familiar and darkest moments - caught between thoughts and reality.

“Black fades, And white darkens...” one of many favorite lines that allows a clear visual into the
Jim Bennett
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
As always, do not let my star count override your judgement of content. More on the stars, counting, and my rating challenges later.
Khayyam uses capitals (unlike e.e.cummings) but like that author, does not title her poems. So all references here are to first lines.
Her Loyalty sets you up in the very first piece. Is loyalty a trap?
I wake up every night includes this: “to hear my demons scream.” This is not for the faint of heart.
Spoiler alert: this is the entire short poem Within the cage of
Fida Islaih
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I found myself bookmarking several pieces. Most of the poems are short and simple. Yet the are powerful. I felt the pieces and saw myself in some of them. I love the imagery and encouragement in them.
Louise Thompson
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shards is a beautiful book. It’s both hopeful and painful at the same time, covering such deep topics as abuse, suicide and building yourself back up after trauma. It’s always difficult to be objective when reading poetry that taps in to such personal experiences, but for me it’s an incredible thing to be able to get insight in to another’s experience, whilst also being able to relate at times. Personally, it spoke to me.

Modern poetry often gets, unfairly and unjustifiably, a bad reputation. But
Ariba Khayyam
Leigh
ARCs for Book Bloggers 1 1 Feb 12, 2018 02:07AM
Ebook Edition (Don't have Kindle?) 1 1 Dec 16, 2017 07:44AM
Requesting Reviews 1 1 Dec 04, 2017 10:59AM
While growing up reading about dragons, magic and adventures, Fariha Khayyam had always wanted to write a book. As her love for reading grew, so did her dream.
She began nurturing her dream while completing her Masters of Business Administration from Loyola University Chicago, Illinois.
Based in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, when she is not writing, she is found reading fantasy novels or spending time on