Start by marking “Backpacker the Survival Hacker's Handbook: How to Survive with Just about Anything” as Want to Read:

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  10 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Backpacker The Survival Hacker's Handbook provides detailed instruction on how to use everyday items to survive in extraordinary circumstances. Sure, the quirk is here. For instance, learn how to make a fishhook out of a beer can, start a fire with hand sanitizer, or purify water with bleach. But it goes beyond the quirk to identify real solutions for real scenarios--with ...more
Published April 15th 2018 by Falcon Press Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Backpacker the Survival Hacker's Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Backpacker the Survival Hacker's Handbook

☆Dani☆ ☆Touch My Spine Book Reviews☆
This definitely a book you want to have on hand on your next adventure! There were so manh new things that I learned in this guide and found it quite intriguing!
Beth
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This should be mandatory reading before anyone ever sets out on even their first hike. It covers how to survive most wilderness emergency situations - from getting lost, running out of food or water, encounters with predatory wildlife, and assessing and treating injuries - both when you have appropriate gear and when you don't, with helpful illustrations in some cases and accompanied by heart-pounding true tales of survival.

If you've read Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills (which, if you'
Cat
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I haven't backpacked or camped in years, but found lots of interesting survival information that could come in handy. One never knows when a disaster will strike and I, for one, am not counting on government help. Sometimes self sufficiency is a good thing! In my opinion, anyone who hikes or camps or even car or rv travel should read this book. Loads of common sense info that could be very helpful in an emergency.
I received a Kindle Arc in exchange for a fair review from Netgalley.
Kristine
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: amazon-reviewed
Backpacker: The Survival Hacker's Handbook by Backpacker Magazine (and Ted Alvarez) is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in late April.

Each of the authors' voices are approachable and had deliberately wrote this book to be helpful and practical, rather than to offer information in the vein of a doomsday survivalist handbook. They've tried out all of the tips themselves and admits that convenience items (like matches, plastic bag, pop cans) save for a lot of stress, but to use them wisely as too
Lili
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
From Netgalley for review:

Sadly, there is a trend in survivalism books, most of them are very 'doomsday' centered and I am over here 'ok, but what do I do if I get lost in the woods while hiking in the middle of winter?' As you can tell I am moderately disdainful of the other kind and am rather fond of nature survivalism. Moving to an area where hiking is more likely to happen, I needed a refresher, I had been living in the city for far too long and needed to have my memory jogged. This was a gr
Brenda
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
This book would make a great gift for anyone who hikes or likes to camp outside. There is a lot of great information on how to survive outside. I enjoyed the short survival stories that were mixed in with the tips.
Paul
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed The Survival Hacker’s Handbook and while I haven’t been backpacking in a while, reading it perversely encourages me to get back out on the trail. Alvarez constantly advises the reader to practice the survival skills. And why not build a shelter in your backyard or the next time you go car camping? I’m sure it would be lots of fun!

Thank you to NetGalley, Backpacker Magazine, Falcon Guides, and Mr. Alvarez for the advanced copy for review.

Full review can be found here: https:/
Ronda Canary