Start by marking “Half Sick of Shadows” as Want to Read:
Half Sick of Shadows

Read Book* *Different edition

Half Sick of Shadows

Who is The Lady?

In ancient Britain, a Lady is living in a stone-walled house on an island in the middle of a river. So far as the people know, she has always been there. They sense her power, they hear her singing, but they never meet her.

At first her life is idyllic. She wakes, she watches, she wanders in her garden, she weaves a complex web of what she sees, and she sl
Published May 1st 2017 by Matteh Publications

To ask other readers questions about Half Sick of Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Half Sick of Shadows

Start your review of Half Sick of Shadows
Anastasia Abboud
There are a lot of great books at our fingertips these days – more than ever before. I’ve found myself exploring genres I wouldn’t have considered in the past. I’ve come to realize that classic literature cannot -- should not -- be the standard by which all books and genres are judged.

However, there’s a reason certain books and writings are considered classics. Classics often do set standards. They convey timeless messages. They are forever relevant.

Lady of Shalott is a poem by Alfred, Lord Tenn
Liz
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an unusual book. It has such an imaginative and ethereal quality that it seems as if it might have been written by Tennyson himself. Not a book for everyone but, if you are looking for a short dreamlike fantasy, this is will work for you.
I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway for this honest review.
gj indieBRAG
We are proud to announce that HALF SICK OF SHADOWS by Richard Abbott is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells readers that this book is well worth their time and money!
D.W. Frauenfelder
It is really impossible to say anything directly about Half Sick of Shadows, Richard Abbott’s newest and most creative book, without giving the whole thing away.

So I’m going to say a few general things and encourage you to go get it. It’s worthwhile summer reading for thoughtful people who like to read on the beach, look out onto the clouds on the horizon and wonder what if.

First, you don’t need to know that Half Sick of Shadows is taken loosely from the British legend of the Lady of Shalott bes
Paul Bennett
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First, a confession; my only exposure to the famous ballad, The Lady of Shalott by Alfred Lord Tennyson, is the musical adaptation by Loreena McKennitt.  Perhaps I once had to read it for a class in school, but since my reading preference has always been prose, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that I have simply forgotten.  Anyroad, this adaptation takes the Arthurian legend and adds the author's own personal touch; an adaptation that, while remaining true to the original's basic s ...more
Helen Hollick
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this completely different 'take' on the Lady of Shallot story, I think my only comment would be I wish the cover was a little more 'exciting' and relevant. Maybe the scene used, but reflected in a mirror?

This book has received a Discovering Diamonds Review:
Helen Hollick
founder #DDRevs
Bookish
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A most enjoyable read.

As someone who has always loved Tennyson's poem 'The Lady of Shalott', the title of this book caught my eye and imagination immediately. Rather than being a retelling of the poem, however, this book is a speculative fantasy about the life of the Lady before the events of the poem take place, and on the nature of her observations of the world around her tower.

The story is very creative and highly original in its development, intriguing the reader with hints about the truth
E.M. McIntyre
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Half Sick of Shadows by Richard Abbott via my Kindle Unlimited subscription.

I went into this not knowing Tennyson’s Lady of Shalott, so I had no reference to compare it to but I see this as a good thing. In the first chapter, I admittedly had a hard time visualizing the descriptions concerning the Lady and her Mirror, but by the 3rd chapter I was completely and utterly absorbed. The 'journey' the Lady takes is quite clever and I was able to connect with and empathize for her. An overall l
Michael Miller
This was a really neatly-constructed story that somehow draws on societal history, faerie lore, science fiction, and insect biology into a sort of non-human coming-of-age tale.

I was particularly impressed that the main character's emotional stakes are continually compelling, even though she is isolated through most of the story. Not an easy trick to pull off.

I also smiled when the last chapter managed to tie together some loose ends I hadn't even thought of as in need of tidying up.
Mb Sheppard
May 13, 2017
Richard Abbott
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Jutta
Oct 23, 2019
Marina Borges
Oct 16, 2020
Richard Abbott
Dec 03, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Pat
Dec 03, 2017
Aan Krida
Dec 10, 2017
Daryl Moad
Dec 10, 2017

• Dr. Strange Beard (Winston Brothers, #5)
  • Beard Science (Winston Brothers, #3)
  • Beard in Mind (Winston Brothers, #4)
  • Grin and Beard It (Winston Brothers, #2)
  • Merely Magic (Magic, #1)
  • Atonement (Heaven Sent #1)
  • The Trouble with Magic (Magic, #3)
  • This Magic Moment (Magic, #4)
  • Truth or Beard (Winston Brothers, #1)
  • Much Ado About Magic (Magic, #5)
  • It's Marple, Dear (Raymond Murphy Mysteries, #1)
  • Rosie’s Travelling Tea Shop
  • The Gardener's Year
  • Miss Frost Braves the Blizzard (Jayne Frost, #5)
  • Miss Frost Solves a Cold Case (Jayne Frost, #1)
  • Tremors
  • Miss Frost Saves The Sandman: A Nocturne Falls Mystery (Jayne Frost, #3)
  • When Birdie Babysat Spider: A Jayne Frost Short
Richard Abbott writes fiction written in several different genres. Originally writing historical fiction set in the Middle East at the end of the Bronze Age, around 1200BC, he branched out into speculative fiction, set either in a historical fantasy world, or else in a near-future solar system exploring issues of high-tech crime and human-machine relationships.

His first excursion into historical