Start by marking “Dark Star: Confessions of a Rock Idol (Rock Star Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dark Star: Confessions of a Rock Idol (Rock Star Chronicles, #1)

Dark Star: Confessions of a Rock Idol (Rock Star Chronicles, #1)

Can Fame, Wealth, and Power Buy Happiness?

Everett Lester and his band, DeathStroke, ride the crest of a wave to superstardom. But the deeper they become immersed in fame, wealth, and power, the more likely they are to be swallowed alive by the drugs, alcohol, and discontentment that have become their only friends. Everett is headed down a perilous road of no apparent retu
Published May 19th 2005 by Multnomah Books

To ask other readers questions about Dark Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Star

Becky Thomasson
Mar 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was a different kind of book.. The author wrote it as the main character was telling his story. At first it was strange to get into the story but it didn't take long to get swept away by the plot. It was an eye opener about how Satan can get a hold on you and not let go. I recommend this book and the next in the series.
Jean Pierre
Jul 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic read. I felt myself sympathizing with the main character has his testimony was similar to mine only on a grander scale. A must read for anyone interested in courtroom thrillers such as "Primal Fear" and "The Diary of Emelly Rose" . The going back and forth from his memoirs (regular type) to his current condition (bold typing) takes a little getting used to but once you get that under your belt it is a fun book that is hard to put down.
Tom
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I just finished Creston Mapes' Dark Star: Confessions of a Rock Idol and again I must say that I was taken in by the story and its message. I have enjoyed Creston Mapes writing style and detailed character descriptions.
I am now going to read Full Tilt and I am sure that this novel will be as good as, if not better than, Dark Star.
Erin
Apr 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book about 10 times!!! It is one of my absolute favorites. It will make you a bolder person.
Julie  Grider
Nov 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with Everett Lester. He is vulnerable and broken and I couldn't help but pull for him to find the light.
Barbara
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dramatic & Intriguing

Though this is a work of fiction I was most encouraged to be faithful on prayer like the character, Karen.

This book has a few layers that keep it interesting and not just a (possible) salvation story.
Cindy
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very different kind of book for me to read. At first, when the author was introducing the main character and letting the reader get to know him, I wasn't at all sure I liked the book or wanted to keep reading it. But I remembered the reviews on it so kept reading. I'm so glad I did! It really is a great book, and very Christian! Shortly after I'd continued reading, it became very quite interesting and only got more so the more I read. This book shows the spiritual battle that can take ...more
Janet Sketchley
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Rock idol Everett Lester has dragged himself and his band from sordid beginnings to the peak of fame—and into as many excesses and vices as he can find. Through it all, two women hold increasing influence in his life: Endora Crystal, his personal psychic, and Karen Bayliss, a young stranger whose letters say she’s praying for him.

The novel is written in two intertwining threads: Everett’s past leading up to his present, and his present, told in the form of an autobiography written from prison wh
Deb
Sep 04, 2007 added it
plot summary: what happens, when & where, central characters, major conflicts[return]everett lester is on trial for his life, he stands accused of the murder of his personal psychic, endora. everett is the lead singer of the hugely popular rock band deathstroke, and in flashback the reader learns how he evolved from a wild teenager to an ever wilder adult. his musical talent earns him millions of dollars and adoring fans, but despite having all the sex, drugs, and material possessions he cou ...more
Rachel
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was actually an awesome story. The reason it got four stars instead of five is because of really bad stereotypical evangelical dialogue. There is alot of preaching to sinners that sounds like the Christians are reading directly from a tract. A very long tract. But this story of how a girl starts praying for a rock star, and does it for years until God draws him to himself, was really touching.
Dawn Traylor
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great!

I thought I had read my favorite Creston Mapes novel when I read Nobody! As much as I recommend that book, I recommend Dark Star even more! Wow, what a read! The storyline kept you engaged and you HAD to find out how it would end, the interweaving of the gospel throughout but in a real life manner was not in the least bit cheesy or forced but was perfect.
Gophergirl58
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Okay, I've thought it before, but "Dark Star..." is my favorite of Creston Mapes' books. I put it in Number One position because it has realism, a true-to-life story of someone who has it all yet who has nothing since he doesn't know Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior! Amazing characters, writing, and story put together to make one amazing book.
Jessica
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Novel

I really enjoyed this novel. The story is set up as partially in the present and partially in the past which really helps the present sorry develop in an interesting manner. It was interesting to experience a much more involved spiritual presence than a person typically experiences.
Donna Jacobs
Aug 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved the book.
Barbara Keigher
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book.

I wasn't so sure at all when I started it, but I think the author depicted perfectly the real life of many rock stars, and those that hang around them for all sorts of reasons.

So many young people think being a music star would be the coolest thing that could ever happen, but this novel, gives a much much different picture.
Then the psychic wanting to use the star to promote her satanic 'freedom' (to all the young man's fans), also was very well done.

But what I appreciated
Cindy
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."”
Matthew 11:28-30

It’s mind-boggling to see what God can do even with those who think they’re beyond help. I wasn’t that much different from Everett as far as thinking that God could forgive me for all I had done. I’m glad this story showed how hard it is to be a
Debra Davis
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very intriguing. I found it difficult to read at the start but soon I was drawn into the story.
Devon
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

I was pleasantly surprised by this story. The author kept me engaged in what was going on so that I looked forward to what was going to happen next.
Peggy M. Hampton
Amazing story. Real emotions were clearly described. Reveals the peer of prayer.

Recommend to anyone who enjoys a fast moving Powerful Jesus Christ faith based story. It is a different and good read.
Kathy Powell
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible Must Read

I've read many spiritual warfare books but this is the best so far. I was intrigued from the beginning. Thank you for writing a book that depicts the proof that the devil is real and he will do anything he can to keep us from a relationship with Jesus. I can't wait to read book 2.
carol hammond
Wow ~ awesome !

What an awesome book. Could hardly put it down. Not an easy subject to write about. People engrossed in the occult and and ungodly music. But there is hope in Jesus our Saviour. I would highly recommend this book for parent and their teens to read this very well written book.. Thank you Creston Males for writing on this subject. Carol Hammond
Kia
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Total page turner! I especially loved this book because I am a metal fan and was in bands and went to plenty of concerts "back in the day." I was lucky enough to outgrow that lifestyle without serious mishap, and many musicians I admired had to change their ways at some point or face tragic fates. The protagonist of "Dark Star," Everett Lester, is an all-out rock star, living the life and selling the libertine message. The story is told in the first person, with the back story interwoven with sc ...more
Barbara
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a very interesting book about a rock star that, thank goodness, was not from my generation. The insights into the dark world of heavy metal was a little disturbing. But it was refreshing to see how the Lord can turn evil into good. The book is written in first person and jumps back and forth between the events leading up to the main character's trial for murder and the trial itself. It's easy to follow and makes you want to hurry and find out how it will all play out. I'm anxious to rea ...more
Mareena
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys Christian fiction
Recommended to Mareena by: Cheryl of Media Guests Tours
The heavy metal band DeathStroke had it all: adoring fans, money, fame and a high-selling music career. The four members of the band were life-long friends who had already been through so much together. Their lead singer was the one who led them to stardom and he knew it! Everett Lester was a man who had everything: drugs, women and a true God-given talent which he was currently squandering while on a dangerous and destructive path.

Everett ostensibly had everything he had ever wanted in life; a
Tamara E.
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When I first began this book. I thought it would be your typical good vs evil but no real plot kind of book. Boy was I wrong.

The first thing that you notice is that Everett Lester is a mess, mentally, physically, and spiritually. But he is the frontman for one of the world's most popular rock bands ever, Deathstroke. However, at the behest of his personal psychic and his own personal past, Everett begins to embrace the idea that God is a lie and that he is a god meant to lead his followers to th
Karen
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I have ever read, especially as a Christian book. I do not know why I had not added this way back when I read it. Maybe it was not on here then? I love rock music and all aspects spiritual in this book are there and though it is fiction you can still learn about depravity, violence. dangers of the occult, behind the scenes of many rockstars concerts, and how a conscience with the Love of Christ can be pulled in to salvation and change. So many great aspects. I have found ma ...more
Fire
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dark Star is book one of this series and it is masterfully written. From the start I was intrigued and excited to read this. The book is fast paced and interesting throughout, as an added bonus it keeps you guessing as you go. The characters are well thought out and deep, even just partway through the book I felt like I really knew and cared about the characters, which often isn't the case when I read a book.

Dark Star is the story of the lead singer of the band Deathstroke and his trial for murd
Clarissa
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Dark star is a reverting, highly suspenseful novel showcasing our center stage rock star, Everett Lester.
The story pursues the life of Everett and his entanglement with a psychic by the name of Madam Endora Crystal. Following her murder, Everett is put on trial as the main suspect. As it progresses, the story bounces back and forth between his past or pretrial rather, and the ongoing murder trial.

I was first introduced to Everett Lester in Sky zone. I must admit, I fell for him there. There are
Narelle
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was initially unsure if I’d like reading this book. The author presented a realistic picture of Everett’s celebrity rock star lifestyle, including drug use, and the story included flashbacks to earlier events in Everett’s life leading up to his arrest. After the first few chapters I was hooked, and I read this book very quickly. The powerful story stayed in my mind and I gained an empathy for Everett’s character as the story progressed.

I’m not usually a fan of flashbacks, but the parallel stor
Ibjoy1953 Hannabass
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
MY THOUGHTS ON THIS BOOK

Creston Mapes write a intruging story of Everett Lester, who is looking for happiness everywhere and in everything and anyone except for the One True place he can find it, and that is through Jesus Christ. Mapes takes us on a trail of event and stiuations in Everett’s life that will keep us guessing after ever page. The characters are well developed, and the story very well written.

And it is because of the prayers of Karen Bayliss, a wonderful lady that life changed for E
Author and freelance writer Creston Mapes resides in Atlanta, Georgia.

His early years as a reporter inspire many of his novels — several of which have hit #1 in sales on Amazon, and one of which has been optioned as a motion picture.

Creston's novels include: