Start by marking “The Neighbors” as Want to Read:
The Neighbors

The Neighbors

As a young girl climbs the seven stories to her own (very boring!) apartment, she imagines what’s behind each of the doors she passes. Does the door with all the locks belong to a family of thieves? Might the doorway with muddy footprints conceal a pet tiger? Each spread reveals—in lush detail—the wilds of the girl’s imagination, from a high-flying circus to an underwater ...more
Published January 8th 2019 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about The Neighbors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Neighbors

Garrett
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: story-time
YA NEVER KNOW what's behind that door, except that this little girl always knows?
Ksenia
Dec 20, 2018 added it
So many gorgeous and quirky and delightful details in each apartment! Loved this one!
Kristina Jean Lareau
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebook
A delightful and surprising search and find story!
Colleen
Mar 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, picture-books, 2019
That's a fun twist at the end.
Jennifer B.
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this! I love imagining what the neighbours in a building are like, too. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at times. And I wonder what (if anything) people may imagine about me!
sarah diehl
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
@kidlitexchange #partner
#TheNeighbors by @EinatTsarfati
Available: January 8, 2019 @abramskids
Have you ever wondered something similar to the following: Who lives in that house with the lovely green door?... Or why do those neighbors have so many gnome statues in their garden?... Or how many cats actually live in that apartment? The girl in this book wonders about the neighbors who live in her apartment building. The book is best enjoyed in a small group because there is much to discover in the
Tasha
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A little girl with a big imagination lives in a seven-story building. On her way up to the seventh floor, where she lives, she imagines who lives behind each of the other doors. Each floor has a different door with things outside that give her clues to the type of family or person who might live there. She imagines that the door with many locks and lots of security leads to a family of thieves. Another door with lots of plants outside opens to a jungle lived in by an old explorer and his pet tig ...more
Rachel
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this one. A little girl, living in a big apartment building, imagines what her neighbors must look like based on their front doors. The inside of each apartment is so detailed and imaginative, and it made me wonder why my neighbors don't don't have more interesting front doors. Clearly my building is not housing jewel thieves or vampires. Well, there is one man living in the basement suite that could easily be a vampire. Anyway, I digress.

Just when you think that the book is del
Guilherme Semionato
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
A superior picture book, full of wonder and details of well-spent lives. It's a rarity for me that a book brings together in one reading the 3-year-old Guilherme and the 33-year-old Guilherme, that pulls one from within the other. It's not a masterpiece or anything (says the 33-year-old Guilherme), but it was a phenomenal experience of shared reading. When I closed the book, I had the impression I was able to form some of memories of it, as if I had been fortunate enough to find it thirty years ...more
Amanda
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Madam and I read this together, and had so much fun! Highly detailed, whimsical, and clever, we poured over the pictures and then came back to certain spreads several times. We took our time deciding which flat was our favorite, which mailbox belonged to which flat, and the differences between the MC's apartment in the beginning and in the end. Then we admired how the MC's bedroom had a nod to all of the other apartments. And then we went back and found all of the hidden hamsters (?), gerbils (? ...more
RedPoppyReading
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“The Neighbors,” written and illustrated by Einat Tsarfati, is a total delight! Have you ever looked at a house and imagined who lives there? In “The Neighbors” an imaginative girl wonders who lives behind each door of her seven-floor apartment building. There are thieves, pirates, an explorer, and finally, her very boring family (or are they really so dull?). There is a lot to explore in this fantastic book! “The Neighbors” is available now; it was released on January 8, 2019.

Thanks to @abramsk
Tracie
As a young girl climbs the stairs to her seventh floor apartment, she notices different objects and smells by each of her neighbors' doors that inspire her imagination. Lushly detailed spreads reveal her whimsical speculations about who lives behind each door. The girl's own family seems "so boring" (as she claims) in comparison...but a twist at the end suggests that appearances can be delightfully deceiving.

This quirky, urban story is well-suited to repeated readings, and young readers will rel
Pam
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The young girl lives on the seventh floor of an apartment building. Each floor has one tenant. Each door is different and the girl shares about those who live behind each door. Her own family is ordinary and boring to her. Don't miss the surprise about her mom and dad (and her) on the last page.
Detailed illustrations are full of supporting information about each tenant.
Young readers will enjoy the easy to read text and all of the vividly colored pages to explore.
Caroline
May 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books

Using their doors as clues, a young girl imagines what each of her neighbors is like in her apartment building. The one with mud outside houses an old explorer and his pet tiger while the one with the wheel and a red door is the home to a family of circus performers. The illustrations are vibrant, quirky and great to pour over with new details to be noticed each time you read it. An unexpected twist at the end ads to the fun.
Melissa Mcavoy
A young red haired girl climbs the stairs of her apartment building commenting on the occupants behind each distinctive door. Detailed double page spreads show her outlandish imagined occupants, each more exotic and exciting than the last, until she reaches the top floor and her own, ‘boring’ parents, whom she, never-the-less loves. A final surprise waits on the final page and observant children will delight in all they can notice in each rereading.
Rebecca Ann
What an outstanding picturebook! A little girl is going past the doors in her apartment building and describing their occupants, each of whom has a fantastical backstory. When she gets to her own door she describes her family as boring but the page after she goes to sleep we see a different story! The artwork was gorgeous and detailed! I think this works best for pre-2nd grades, as there is a lot to talk about/connect.
Lynn
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A little girl walks up the stairs of her seven-story apartment building, walking by the closed doors of her neighbors, imagining what lies behind each door. The two-page scenes of each apartment are a hoot, packed with lots of funny details. Her own apartment and parents are, she thinks, boringly normal. Loved the twist at the end.

Lively bright illustrations and heaps of imagination make this one really fun. The note says this was translated from the Hebrew. Set to publish in December.

Jason
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This reminds me in a good way of a book that captured my imagination when I was a child about a child sick in bed who makes up stories about the lives of the people he sees in the windows of the apartment building across the way. The line about her parents being boring made me laugh right out loud and I would have been happy to see the book end there, but then you turn the page, and...ah! more surprises!
Ms.Gaye
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great book for children who like to pore over silly, humorous, detailed images. There's also a hamster that can be found in each of the neighbor's rooms (a hint is given in the beginning with the "Lost" posters hung up by the mailboxes). The surprise ending is a perfect finishing touch. Ages 4-7.
Neeli
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
For all those 'Look-and-Find' fans, this outstanding, digitally drawn picture book is for you! This quirky story about using one's imagination will have you poring over the bold, colourful and highly detailed illustrations in each apartment. Suitable for readers aged 5-8 who will enjoy the easy to follow storyline and the surprising twist at the end.
Peacegal
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I adored the illustrations, the fantastic celebration of imagination, and the silly surprise ending!

The only reservation I had was with the circus family, who had performing elephants, sea lions, etc. in their apartment. As exotic animal-using circuses are seen as inhumane and unnecessary by a larger proportion of the public, I really hope this imagery in children's books fades away as well.
Diane
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a little girl climbs the stairs of her apartment complex, she describes what’s behind the door on every floor. She has very interesting neighbors: thieves, an explorer with a pet tiger, a family of acrobats ... even a vampire. When she gets to her apartment, things appear pretty boring. But are they really?

Cute.
Elizabeth
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A super cute and imaginative story about a girl imagining who lives behind the various doors of her apartment building. The illustrations of her neighbors' homes are so detailed, making this book seem like an I Spy book. The illustrations are bright and colorful. Make room for this on your shelves.
Marcia
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A celebration of an imaginative mind. A little girl stops outside each apartment door in her building imagining what is going on inside. My only question is why are the locks on door number 1 on the outside?? Kids will enjoy all the details in the illustrations--lots of fun.
Tori
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
An adorable book. This little girl imagines all sorts of interesting things about her neighbors. A nice twist at the end when her own "normal" family turns out to be more interesting than they appear. Love the pictures, and it made me laugh.
Annie
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
One whole star is for the Aubrey Beardsley vampire!!! This is a delightful, funny picture book with a high degree of visual literary that is also totally accessible for kids. It is full of delightful Easter eggs of all sorts. One does not need a background in art history to enjoy it, but I think my fellow nerds will dig it the most.
Nicole Darrow
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Fun storyline about a child imagining what is behind the different doors of her apartment building. Lots to look at in the pictures of what she imagines. She sees her family as boring compared to her neighbors.. but are they?
Robin
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, humor
I am always happy to see more picture books that show kids living in apartments, but this one totally takes the cake. Full of imagination and humor, with vibrant illustrations and a fun surprise at the end. Highly recommended for ages 4-6.
Elisabeth
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As someone who is a little nosy about what goes on behind other people's doors...this book spoke to me!
Alison
The illustrations in this book are amazing! It was fun to look at all of the different things going on in the different apartments. You can also search for the hamster in each picture.