Start by marking “The Neighbors” as Want to Read:
The Neighbors

The Neighbors

As a young girl climbs the seven stories to her own (very boring!) apartment, she imagines what’s behind each of the doors she passes. Does the door with all the locks belong to a family of thieves? Might the doorway with muddy footprints conceal a pet tiger? Each spread reveals—in lush detail—the wilds of the girl’s imagination, from a high-flying circus to an underwater ...more
Published January 8th 2019 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about The Neighbors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Neighbors

Start your review of The Neighbors
Calista
This is quite the building. Our main character lives on the 7th floor and she shows us that each door is different in the building and then we get a peak behind the door to see who lives there and there are some quirky characters. It’s a beginning book and it was fun. The twist at the end is fun.

The nephew thought this story was ok because one of the tenants in the story was Dracula or a vampire and so he was happy with that. He loved all the crazy living quarters we got to see. He gave this 3 s
Nikki
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Simple concept with limited text would make this a perfect read aloud.
Becky B
A little girl climbs to the top floor of the building where she lives and imagines who lives behind each of the doors on the other six floors. She's sure each one is super extraordinary, even though her family is boring.

I love the fantastic imaginative assortment of neighbors the girl dreams up based on their front door areas. I also love the little bit of subtle humor about how her family is "boring" but the illustration shows something that may give kids a different impression (view spoiler)
Ksenia
Dec 20, 2018 added it
So many gorgeous and quirky and delightful details in each apartment! Loved this one!
Jennifer B.
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this! I love imagining what the neighbours in a building are like, too. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at times. And I wonder what (if anything) people may imagine about me!
Kristina Jean Lareau
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebook
A delightful and surprising search and find story!
Colleen
Mar 21, 2019 rated it liked it
That's a fun twist at the end.
Garrett
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: story-time
YA NEVER KNOW what's behind that door, except that this little girl always knows?
Cassie
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wildly gorgeous and imaginative. I love coming up with ideas for what's behind closed doors and this takes it to a whole new level! There's also a seek-and-find element you discover after reading it a few times. Highly recommended!
sarah diehl
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
@kidlitexchange #partner
#TheNeighbors by @EinatTsarfati
Available: January 8, 2019 @abramskids
Have you ever wondered something similar to the following: Who lives in that house with the lovely green door?... Or why do those neighbors have so many gnome statues in their garden?... Or how many cats actually live in that apartment? The girl in this book wonders about the neighbors who live in her apartment building. The book is best enjoyed in a small group because there is much to discover in the
Tasha
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A little girl with a big imagination lives in a seven-story building. On her way up to the seventh floor, where she lives, she imagines who lives behind each of the other doors. Each floor has a different door with things outside that give her clues to the type of family or person who might live there. She imagines that the door with many locks and lots of security leads to a family of thieves. Another door with lots of plants outside opens to a jungle lived in by an old explorer and his pet tig ...more
Nancy
As a girl climbs the stairs to her family’s seventh-floor apartment, she stops at the door on each floor and, based upon its distinctive appearance, describes the unit’s occupants. For example, muddy footprints outside the second door suggest to her that an old explorer and his pet tiger live there and, because the lights always shut off when she reaches the fourth-floor, the apartment belongs to a vampire. Each double-page spread featuring the girl’s stop at a door is followed by a colorful, in ...more
Rachel
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this one. A little girl, living in a big apartment building, imagines what her neighbors must look like based on their front doors. The inside of each apartment is so detailed and imaginative, and it made me wonder why my neighbors don't don't have more interesting front doors. Clearly my building is not housing jewel thieves or vampires. Well, there is one man living in the basement suite that could easily be a vampire. Anyway, I digress.

Just when you think that the book is del
Guilherme Semionato
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
A superior picture book, full of wonder and details of well-spent lives. It's a rarity for me that a book brings together in one reading the 3-year-old Guilherme and the 33-year-old Guilherme, that pulls one from within the other. It's not a masterpiece or anything (says the 33-year-old Guilherme), but it was a phenomenal experience of shared reading. When I closed the book, I had the impression I was able to form some of memories of it, as if I had been fortunate enough to find it thirty years ...more
Amanda
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Madam and I read this together, and had so much fun! Highly detailed, whimsical, and clever, we poured over the pictures and then came back to certain spreads several times. We took our time deciding which flat was our favorite, which mailbox belonged to which flat, and the differences between the MC's apartment in the beginning and in the end. Then we admired how the MC's bedroom had a nod to all of the other apartments. And then we went back and found all of the hidden hamsters (?), gerbils (? ...more
RedPoppyReading
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“The Neighbors,” written and illustrated by Einat Tsarfati, is a total delight! Have you ever looked at a house and imagined who lives there? In “The Neighbors” an imaginative girl wonders who lives behind each door of her seven-floor apartment building. There are thieves, pirates, an explorer, and finally, her very boring family (or are they really so dull?). There is a lot to explore in this fantastic book! “The Neighbors” is available now; it was released on January 8, 2019.

Thanks to @abramsk
Tracie
As a young girl climbs the stairs to her seventh floor apartment, she notices different objects and smells by each of her neighbors' doors that inspire her imagination. Lushly detailed spreads reveal her whimsical speculations about who lives behind each door. The girl's own family seems "so boring" (as she claims) in comparison...but a twist at the end suggests that appearances can be delightfully deceiving.

This quirky, urban story is well-suited to repeated readings, and young readers will rel
Rebecca Ann
What an outstanding picturebook! A little girl is going past the doors in her apartment building and describing their occupants, each of whom has a fantastical backstory. When she gets to her own door she describes her family as boring but the page after she goes to sleep we see a different story! The artwork was gorgeous and detailed! I think this works best for pre-2nd grades, as there is a lot to talk about/connect.
Jason
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This reminds me in a good way of a book that captured my imagination when I was a child about a child sick in bed who makes up stories about the lives of the people he sees in the windows of the apartment building across the way. The line about her parents being boring made me laugh right out loud and I would have been happy to see the book end there, but then you turn the page, and...ah! more surprises!
Caroline
May 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books

Using their doors as clues, a young girl imagines what each of her neighbors is like in her apartment building. The one with mud outside houses an old explorer and his pet tiger while the one with the wheel and a red door is the home to a family of circus performers. The illustrations are vibrant, quirky and great to pour over with new details to be noticed each time you read it. An unexpected twist at the end ads to the fun.
Peacegal
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I adored the illustrations, the fantastic celebration of imagination, and the silly surprise ending!

The only reservation I had was with the circus family, who had performing elephants, sea lions, etc. in their apartment. As exotic animal-using circuses are seen as inhumane and unnecessary by a larger proportion of the public, I really hope this imagery in children's books fades away as well.
Elizabeth
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A super cute and imaginative story about a girl imagining who lives behind the various doors of her apartment building. The illustrations of her neighbors' homes are so detailed, making this book seem like an I Spy book. The illustrations are bright and colorful. Make room for this on your shelves.
Ms.Gaye
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great book for children who like to pore over silly, humorous, detailed images. There's also a hamster that can be found in each of the neighbor's rooms (a hint is given in the beginning with the "Lost" posters hung up by the mailboxes). The surprise ending is a perfect finishing touch. Ages 4-7.
Neeli
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
For all those 'Look-and-Find' fans, this outstanding, digitally drawn picture book is for you! This quirky story about using one's imagination will have you poring over the bold, colourful and highly detailed illustrations in each apartment. Suitable for readers aged 5-8 who will enjoy the easy to follow storyline and the surprising twist at the end.
Diane
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a little girl climbs the stairs of her apartment complex, she describes what’s behind the door on every floor. She has very interesting neighbors: thieves, an explorer with a pet tiger, a family of acrobats ... even a vampire. When she gets to her apartment, things appear pretty boring. But are they really?

Cute.
Castle Spooktacular
Short, but sweet, a whimsical and delightful read! A nice reminder of how vivid children's imaginations can be. The main character talks about the people inhabiting her apartment building- ranging from circus performers, to vampires, jungle explorers, to jazz bands, etc... also, the illustrations are just as complex and colorful as the people they portray.
Kelsey
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Age: Preschool-2nd grade
Location: Apartment complex

Along the way to her seventh-story apartment, a red-haired girl describes the people that live behind each door on each floor. Each apartment serves as its own search-and-find with a wealth of images, objects, and interactions that children will pour over. And the end twist is perfection.
KC
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
A young girl imagines what goes on behind the other doors in her apartment building.
Alexander Fernandez
Originally published at Mr. Alex's Bookshelf: https://mralexbookshelf.com/2020/04/3...

With minimal prose, Tsarfati’s book is a bright and bold adventure through a seven-story building and seven very different families. Or are they?

Quick Rating: Buy, Use, Donate, Gift?

Summary
A young girl takes us on a walk, up seven flights of stairs, stopping to imagine what family lives behind each unique door of every landing. All the doors are different. So, every family must be different. Right?

Illustrations
Emily Sammartino
Oct 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-lit
A little girl lives in an apartment building that has 7 stories. Each door is different and as she climbs up each story, she imagines what each of her neighbors is like. Each description she gives is overexaggerated and outlandish which makes the story very funny. When she gets to the last story, it's her house with her "boring" family that she still loves anyway. The story ends with her going to bed and the reader seeing the parents dressed as superheroes. I thought this story was so cute and f ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Sea Bear: A Journey for Survival
  • What Is Given from the Heart
  • Another
  • Unicorn Day
Einat Tsarfati is an illustrator who graduated with honors from the Visual Communication department at the Bezalel Academy of Arts and Design in Jerusalem. She works as a freelance editorial illustrator and has written and illustrated her own books, including The Neighbors. Einat Tsarfati lives in Israel.

News & Interviews