Start by marking “Scared of Santa: Scenes of Terror in Toyland” as Want to Read:
Scared of Santa: Scenes of Terror in Toyland

Scared of Santa: Scenes of Terror in Toyland

He's huge and hairy and hulking.
He dresses in strange furry clothing.
He sneaks into people's homes at night.
Who wouldn't be afraid of . . . Santa Claus?!?

Nothing says Christmas quite like innocent children shrieking with terror as a stranger dressed in red drags them kicking and screaming onto his lap. Now this time-honored rite of passage is celebrated with a h
Published October 14th 2008 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published October 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Scared of Santa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scared of Santa

karen
Dec 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
even though i am not a fan of children, my enjoyment of this book did not hinge upon seeing children in tears. (that was me anticipating the snarky comments from people who actually know me) i did enjoy seeing the range of santas, and their stoicism. but the chapter on twins... shudder...
David Schaafsma
Dec 19, 2016 rated it liked it
The title got your attention right away, right? Me, too. And it's a really funny idea, of course. What is the typical experience of little kids with a bearded old fart stranger forcing you to sit still on his lap for a holiday (okay, it's only Christmas) picture-for-posterity?

Here's some images, as you might expect:

Here's some images, as you might expect:

The images are accompanied by commentary on each picture which I found less funny than the pictures themselves. You don't need to explain these pictures; they are images of sheer terror. And hilarious, though since there are 250 of them, they begin to look pretty similar. Almost all are crying kids, with just miserable part time Santas, which is the best part. As an adult reader, maybe with your own kids, you can relate to the poor guy more than the little whiners. I can, anyway.

But I am really glad I own this so I can put it out on the coffee table during the holidays for my own little kiddies and terrorize them myself with other books like Krampus. It's fits well for adults with all the other holiday satirical books like David Sedaris's Holiday on Ice.

The authors got the idea from a Savannah, Georgia newspaper Scared of Santa photo contest. The Chicago Tribune borrowed the idea and then the book came about. It's worth a few laughs, right?
Megan
Nov 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas
Santa's everywhere clearly don't get paid enough!
description

Fortunately they are still willing to put up with a lot of crap so that people such as myself can enjoy hilarious pictures such as this:
description

This
Lizzie
Oct 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2010, humor
Pictures of children crying on Santa's lap, old and new, submitted by readers to the Chicago Tribune. What's not to like?

My parents were never big into the Santa thing so for me this is a strange anthropological document. No, it doesn't bother me because I assume, and many of the parents comment, that the children were happy one minute before being put on the red-suited stranger's lap, and cheered up the moment they were removed. Most things children cry about are soon forgotten. A f
Angie Fehl
I was drawn to this because I've always found myself repelled by store Santas. Never was able to give my mom one good Santa pic lol. The pictures are funny but do start to feel a little repetitive after awhile. My favorites were the ones of the Santas that were just DONE and the ones about the "misery contagion" -- where if you put groupings of kids in the shot, the tantrum of one quickly spreads to the others. And the chapter on creepy santas! I also liked that there were a few pet pics include ...more
HeavyReader
Apr 12, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: holiday, scary
How this book got published, I will never know.

It is full of hundreds of photos of kids sitting on Santa's lap, crying, screaming, trying to escape. Yep, the whole theme of this book is getting a laugh out of the misery of little children.

Don't get me wrong, twenty-five or thirty photos of kids having negative reactions to Santa Claus might have been funny. However, hundreds and hundreds of the same kinds of pictures quickly becomes totally boring. Yawn!

The ca
Cat
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Found this on the self at my library one morning. Of course, I had to read it right away. Libraries are NOT places to be screaming with laughter. passed it among the staff with the same results. You can try and set it aside for reading at a more appropriate time, but you just have to see one more photo! Extremely funny! What our parents put us through! And , of course, we put our kids through, and now they are doing the same to their kids! It's tradition! A rite of passage! Don't believe me? get ...more
Pat
Dec 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Having a child (now age of 27) who was petrified of Santa, the Easter Bunny, Toys R Us Giraffe, etc., I can certainly appreciate this hilarious compilation of photos of children and their less than festive sojourns into Toyland with the Man in the Big Red Suit (or Satan personified; as the pictures somehow suggest). The clever quotes top off this guilty holiday pleasure. Great stocking stuffer gift.
Meg
Nov 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The most ridiculously hilarious book I've ever seen. I guffawed in the store when I was browsing the pages which of course warranted my purchasing the book. When I got home, I ripped through the whole book in about an hour. Page after page of horrified children with Santa Claus - what could be funnier? Some of the author's captions made the pictures all the more hilarious. This is now a coffee table book meant to send all my holiday guests into fits of side splitting laughter. Tis the season!
Jazmin Jade
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing. Members of my family think its a little bit wrong that I get so much joy from a book with many pictures of scared and horrified children as the centre piece but I so don't care. Some of the moments captured within this book are just so magical. If you have a sense of humour I seriously suggest this book.
Andrew Farr
Nov 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Hilarious.
Feb 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: laugh
these children are terrified. i don't know what it says about me that i laughed so hard. i must share this with my little brother who made the local paper as one of these kids.
Shallowreader VaVeros
Santa is up there with clowns and monsters for scaring young children. This books is full of win with the terrified expressions of children unwillingly with Santa.
Susan
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, humour
Funny little book. Some hilarious images. But id have liked there to be more stories even made up ones with the pictures. Gets a bit like seen one seen them all.
Amber
Nov 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
Funny Photos, of Children scared of Santa. I thought maybe might see a few family members in the book. No suck luck!
Tamara
Oct 21, 2008 marked it as to-read
PW says "Scared Santa captures 250 reader-submitted photos of unhappy people on Santa's lap."
Astri
Nov 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
LMAO! I could tell you that I pity those kids...but then I'd be a liar.
Lauren
Dec 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I could not stop laughing when I read this! It brought tears to my eyes, I laughed so hard. Book includes one of the scariest Santas I have ever seen!
Meredith Miller
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Cute collection of Santa & terrorized children pictures with cute captions. Actually, the pictures I have with my grandchildren, neices & nephews with the jolly old elf are cuter!
Kathy