Jump to ratings and reviews

Dynasty #1

Secret Heir

Since the beginning of time, tales have been told about Eden. But all the stories are wrong.

Running parallel alongside Earth, but never touching, there exists not just a garden, but an entire world of vivid colours and breathtaking beauty where the Seraph reside.

Jazmine has lived in ten different foster homes, in ten different towns and all her life she has felt like she doesn’t belong – not in the trailer park which happens to be foster home number ten, not anywhere on Earth.

After a universe shattering revelation, she discovers why. Far from being the nothing and no one, with no past and no future, that Jazmine had always believed herself to be, she discovers that she is in fact an heir to one of the seven remaining Seraph Dynasties.

She is Jazmine Evenstar, the last heir to the sovereign Evenstar Dynasty.

Thrust into the world of wealth and privilege in which the impossibly beautiful and equally cruel Dynasty heirs reside, Jazmine is forced to manoeuvre the tangled web that holds the Dynasties together.

Against the backdrop of breathtaking star filled nights, sweeping coastlines, grand marble halls and decadent palaces, Jazmine tries to find her place in this beautiful new world whilst fighting not to lose herself in the process.

But the fairy tale quickly unravels.

Half human and the illegitimate daughter of the late suicide King of Eden, the other Dynasty heirs make it clear that Jazmine does not belong in their world.

Raphael St. Tristan, heir to the rival sovereign St. Tristan Dynasty and next in line to the throne of Eden, the guy with the face of an angel but who is as wicked as the devil himself, promises to break her.

Jazmine quickly learns that the beauty of Eden is nothing but a deception as she uncovers the secrets festering at the heart of it. But can she disentangle herself from the web of deception and intrigue that the Dynasty heirs have spun? Can she stop herself from falling into Raphael St. Tristan’s trap before he can fulfil his promise to shatter her completely? Or are those stories about Eden true after all and will she be foolish enough to taste the forbidden fruit that is Eden itself?

Kindle Edition

First published January 1, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

M.J. Prince

1 book150 followers
MJ Prince is the author of SECRET HEIR – the first book in the all new DYNASTY trilogy, which is now an Amazon Bestseller. A loose adaption of Romeo and Juliet but with a fantastical twist, this saga of feuding Dynasties, forbidden love, betrayal, royal scandals and power struggles for the crown promises to ensnare, captivate and shatter, then leave readers clawing for more.

New Adult and Young Adult author, sometimes artist, sometimes lawyer, often a dreamer and a hopeless romantic but a die hard bookworm at all times.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
26 (5%)
1 star
18 (3%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 197 reviews
Profile Image for Sophia Triad.
2,239 reviews3,426 followers
February 25, 2018
That was serious fun!!

“Welcome to Eden.”
His eyes are as dark as the midnight blue sky above us, and what I see in them makes it clear that I’m far from welcome here.

Jazmine is an orphan. She is almost 18 years old and works as a waitress in order to gather money and pay for her future studies as an artist. A few months before she becomes finally an adult and leaves foster house number 10 to chase her dreams; a stranger older man appears and starts telling her stories about parallel realms (Eden), godlike inhabitants (Seraphs) that are direct offspring of Adam and Eve and can influence the elements and control them.

And the most unbelievable thing is that she is the daughter of the king of Seraphs. His dirty little secret. And that this old guy is her grandfather who needs to take Jasmine back to her people.

There are two the two royal bloodlines in the Realm—the St. Tristan Dynasty and the Evenstar Dynasty. Jasmine is the heir of the Evenstar Dynasty, while the next ruler will come from the St.Tristan Dynasty.

And before you start complaining about the amount of information and world building, I have to tell you that all these cover about 15% of the book. Then Jasmine meets Raphael “Raph" St. Tristan and his evil friends and she needs to attend the prestigious Regency Mount Academy with the heirs of the remaining Dynasties.

And after that you will have a normal “enemies to lovers” story (because for some unknown reason, Raph hates Jasmine’s guts) that takes place in a school. This is what you will take if you combine any “Enemies to lovers” highschool story with Harry Potter, because let’s not forget that some of the students can control the elements and they can make the day or the night comes or they can fry someone without barbeque sauce.

The pranks between Jasmine and Raph (the loverboy of the school) are hilarious.

There’s a set of large double doors leading out to a balcony which overlooks the ocean. Perfect.
Armed with Raph’s precious trophies, I walk over to the French doors, fling them open and proceed to hurl each trophy out to sea. Every single one.
When I’m done with those, and the trophy shelf is satisfyingly bare, I grab an armload of Raph’s no doubt very expensive clothes and sneakers, then add those to the cargo now floating across the ocean.

Jasmine is feisty and determined. Raph is too good to be true. He is Mr. Perfect and a total bastard when he interacts with Jasmine.

Jasmine is also very thirsty for love and belonging. She may swear and shout and fight, but all she needs is love.
All that Raph needs is becoming a king. And maybe Jasmine stands in his way. On the other hand, he behaves like he wants her too much and he hates that he wants her.

Let’s throw here a touch from , and you will have the perfect cliffhanger when you finish the book.

I need to say here that there are a lot of hot HOT sexy moments between Jasmine and Raph. I don’t read young adult often, but I thought that these books are supposed to be (how can I say this?) a bit more modest (?? Hmmm…). Not that I minded. I thought these two together were perfect.

I want him to kiss me and I can sense that he knows it, too. But I was right about him teasing me or at least making the ache between us build enough so that when he does actually kiss me, I know that the universe will probably explode.

Lastly, I would like to add that I am not a fan of this book cover. At all. I basically hesitated to start the book, because judging by this cover; I was not sure about the contents of this book. I would definitely prefer a more abstract cover that reminds more of other young adult novels. But when I started it the book, I had to finish it! I couldn’t let it go off my hands.

Anyway, I am on pins and needles waiting for the next book and you must know at this point that this book (and I can imagine the whole series) is seriously addictive.

(I received a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review)
Profile Image for Aisling Zena.
632 reviews452 followers
February 27, 2018

This book left me wanting more. More of everything. More plot, more worldbuilding, more powers, more elements, more explanations, just plain more.

description

Out story begins with Jazmine. A teenage girl who has lost her mum and has since been shipped to numerous foster homes. Her current one is in a trailer park and she's struggling to make money and good grades so she can escape it as soon as she can. Jazmine has always felt out of sync with the world, like she doesn't belong anywhere on Earth. And one night she finds out why. She's not from Earth. She is descended from a parallel world, Eden.

description

She is also an heir to one of the seven remaining Seraph Dynasties. The last heir, in fact to the sovereign Evenstar Dynasty. Jazmine goes from poor and struggling to a life of luxury and wealth. Thrust into royal intrigues and set against the rest of the spoiled Dynasties heirs. Her major antagonist, Raphael St. Tristan, heir to the rival sovereign St. Tristan Dynasty and next in line to the throne of Eden along with his "queen bee" Layla and the rest of the heirs, set out to make Jazmines life hell.

description

I don't normally read YA. When I do it's usually because my curiosity has been piqued, like in this case with the parallel Earth, Eden and the whole heir to Dynasty business. So I was disappointed when right off the bat Jazmine and consequently I as a reader end up back in a school after she goes to Eden. She finds out all the cool things about where she's from, the parallel world, her father and so on and then right after she's shipped off to boarding school. I know this is a YA book but I didn't expect her to be rushed off to school in a matter of days. It all seemed to happen lightning fast with not enough information. I wanted more explanations, we get the basics but I really wanted more about the parallel world, the powers, the actual history of the place. Instead, she's carted off to school which is pretty much exactly the same as Earth.

The plot is in a way similar to Paper Princess (The Royals #1) by Erin Watt. Beautiful girl, saved from poverty by a benefactor/lost relative etc, thrust into a rich lifestyle with a bunch of assholes that seem to have it in for her for no particular reason. And then the world is miraculously flipped on it's axis once again when pretty boy Raphael St. Tristan, Raph, decides she's not longer an outcast to be tortured.

description

I really enjoyed Jazmine. She was a tough cookie. A badass in the making. But some things just didn't make sense. She retaliates when Raph mistreats her but doesn't give Layla her comeuppance. She mysteriously confides in him for no discernible reason other than she's drunk. And she's wilfully naive about certain things where I though she would naturally be suspicious. I don't know if Eden blinded her or maybe it was Raph and his abs. I did get tired of reading of how good looking he is every time he entered a scene.

description

But despite of all these things and a few more besides, I kept coming back to it. I want to read more. I wanted Jazmine to succeed, I wanted her to kick ass. I wanted her to fight and win. I wanted more of everything. I was pissed on her behalf even when I knew what was going to happen. The writing made me emotionally invest even when I knew where it was heading. Straight to a cliffhanger.

description

If you love YAs set in fantasy worlds do give it a try. Some of the things that didn't work for me here, might work for you. And as I mentioned I don't read YAs often so maybe I put too much maturity and expectations on poor Jazmine's teenaged shoulders. All I know for sure is that I am hooked despite it all and I want to know what happens next.

ARC kindly provided by author in exchange of an honest review
Profile Image for Alaina.
5,927 reviews216 followers
December 30, 2017

HOLY HELL GUYS!

My heart is broken. I'm a hot mess. So many emotions are flooding from me right now.

Secret Heir: A Forbidden Love, Enemies to Lovers, Royal Romance was so fucking good. I couldn't put it down once I saw it with my god damn hazel eyes. I loved everything about Jazmine. Even though she had a crappy life, she dealt with it. She didn't sulk or complain constantly. Nope, Jazmine was a fucking bad ass and I envy the hell out of her. Can she be my best friend!? PLEASE?!

Now I don't want to write a review with a shit ton of spoilers because this book will be coming out in February of next year - just know it was amazing! FREAKING AMAZING GUYS!

I loved her friendship with Dani. I didn't care that people judged Jazmine constantly because she always knew it was going to happen. She's tougher than she looks but it still broke my heart what she went through. I hated Layla from the beginning. I still hate her so much even now. I didn't like Raph in the beginning either, then I fell in like with him, then love, BUT he showed his true colors and I'm back to hating him.

I HATED THAT CLIFFHANGER!
I need more. I can't accept that kind of ending. Can I get the next book right now?!?! I really hope that M.J. Prince will offer me the opportunity to read that book before it comes out. I need Jazmine back in my life. I want to know why Earth is so "dangerous"? I want to know what the hell is going through Ralph's god damn mind!! I NEED MORE GUYS.

I have no idea how I will look at another books right now - I'm broken and frustrated. Again, I'm in awe of this book. I'm in love. So thankful that M.J. Prince reached out to me and let me read this amazing book. I will totally reread it again and again.

THANK YOU SO FREAKING MUCH!
Profile Image for Cristina.
509 reviews386 followers
January 16, 2018
5 "I don't know" stars!

ARC kindly provided by the author in exchange of an honest review. Thank you so much! ❤

This book was wow! I mean from the first chapter I was already hooked! The cover doesn’t do this book justice, but the story... I can’t explain what I feel right now, because I’m so in love with this crazy love story between the main characters. What I can say is that the action was a permanent chain of reaction for me.

Jazmine is a 17 years old girl, half human, half Seraph, with distinctive violet eyes, who swears all the time (this is what I loved the most about her).
Raphael, on the other hand, is a handsome heir of one of the most strong Dynasties from Eden. He is the lollypop of this book.
As you can guess, the action takes place in a different world, to be more precise, in a city named Arcadia, in Eden – which seemed a pretty nice place, considering it was a mirror of Earth. The awesome thing about this parallel world, was the power to influence the elements. If you want to know more, you should read the book!

I have to say... Jazmine had a lot to endure, but I loved her attitude. Everytime she had to face a prank or fight back, she had a perfect reply. Quick thinking and perfect measures. And damn it, the teasing was so hot. Everytime Raph tried to give Jaz a hard time, it was heaven for me. I love it when a bad boy crawls under the sweet girl’s skin. But in this case, Jaz was both – the sweet, innocent girl and the angry, vengeful woman. Let’s be honest though: it was clear from the beginning that something will happen between these two. I will give no spoilers, because this book deserves to be read.

About the other characters:
- Dani was my favourite female character. She accepted Jazmine from the beginning without being judgemental, but I have a feeling she has some secrets of her own. One of them involving another heir of this book;
- Baron, the beautiful manwhore. I liked him so much. Especially that kiss. I craved for more moments like that one. But I have a feeling his time will come in the next book;
- Keller was also someone I liked. Sometimes people turn out to be better once you know them. First impressions were in her case wrong;
- Layla... Every good book has a villain, right? Well, she was the bitch that managed to screw everything. I couldn’t stand her!
- Lance and Ivy were inexistent for me... However Lance seemes to be a good guy;
- Magnus though, made me think about The Mortal Instruments (just the name, nothing more). I feel like he should have been present more in the action of this book. But I have to admit, his reaction that certain morning when he found Raph before breakfast, was hilarious! I laughed so much when I read the reply. It was a blast.

What I liked in the writing style were those words/sentences written in italics. It was so much easier to imagine how the character was feeling when the words were accentuated by a different font style. However a big part of this book made me think about The Paper Princess by Erin Watt. I loved that book too!
I really want to find out how things turn out to be in the next book. So my only question is: „When will the second book be released?”, because my blood is already boiling in my veins in anticipation.

I felt like some songs were perfect for this book, so I’m just gonna share them with you:
• Labirinth – Jealous
• Demi Lovato – Smoke & Mirrors
• James Arthur – Recovery
• Christina Perri – Human
• Maroon 5 – Lips on You
• Dua Lipa – IDGAF

Also some quotes that captured my attention:

“I feel the breath catching in my throat because even from this distance, I can see the face looking down at me, and it is the most beautiful face I’ve ever seen. Handsome is too weak a word.”

“And try not to swear.”
I crack a smile, despite myself.
“Nope. Sorry, can’t promise that.”

“Everything about you is beautiful. Your sass, your strength, your kickass attitude.”

“My lips feel swollen and still tingle with the ghost of his kisses.”

“It's only when you feel something fierce for someone that you’d risk losing yourself just to find them.”
Profile Image for Elena Salvatore.
218 reviews110 followers
January 21, 2018
Jazmine never had a happy life. Her mother died when she was little, she never even met her father and she was sent from foster home to foster home.
Changing locations that frequently, she never had got close to anyone so she never had any real friends.
And she works in a job that she despises.

However her entire life will change when one day a mysterious man comes in and tells her that he's her grandfather and wants her to come with him to Eden.

Jazmine get's thrust into an entirely differnet World with Thrones, Boarding Schools, A**hole Heirs and Powers.

How can she chose between a World where she knows nothing about and a World that she wanted to get away from?

The author kindly provided me with the book for an exchange with my honest review.
That's the only reason I read this book before the series is finished because that ending leaved me wanting more.
description

I actually really liked this book.
It was funny, entertaining and had me glued to my screen.
But I feel like we didn't get enough information about Eden.
Everything we do know is that Earth and Eden are almost exactly alike and a couple chapter descriptions by Magnus.
Nothing more, nothing less.
Most of the book takes place in the boarding school Jazmine and the other heirs attend. I would like to see more of Eden and how it differs from Earth.

What also bothered me was the pace that everything happened (not how fast it read but the events).
From Magnus approach to the ending, Jazmine belives everyone everytime.
Which brings me to...

Jazmine, she was an interesting character and I liked her potty mouth. She didn't seem to take any sh*t from anyone and was always quick to fight bad.
But girl, you're far too trusting!

If a man I didn't know came up to me and told me all these crazy things, I would kick him in his favorite place and run away.
And how can you just become friends with a guy that vowed to make your life miserable?
description

All these people are people she doesn't know so can't really trust.
She belives Magnus when she only met him a couple of minutes ago and then she leaves for school so she doesn't even get to know him.
She trust him and Dani and all the others even tho she claims that she never let anyone in and that she doesn't trust anyone.Ever. But then she goes and tells her deepest feelings and fears to a guy she just met?
description

I can't wait for the second book to come out and for Jazmine to give them hell.
Profile Image for Hanne.
654 reviews66 followers
February 27, 2018
Jazmine has been going from foster home to foster home ever since her mother died many years ago. She’s working hard as a waitress to escape her current foster home when she turns 18. One night while working, Jazmine meets an old man and that man says that he’s her grandfather. He also tells Jazmine that her father was the King of Eden and she’s the only heir of their Dynasty. Jazmine doesn’t believe the man, but the man takes her to Eden anyway and she quickly realizes that the man was telling the truth.

Since Jazmine is not 18 years old yet, she must finish high school at Eden. She will go to a boarding school and stay in the same building as the heirs of the other Dynasties. Jazmine isn’t welcomed by the other heirs with open arms and they make her life hell, but Raph is the worst of them. Raph is the future King of Eden and he’s not happy with Jazmine’s arrival. He will change his mind about her after a while and he’ll even help her with something important. Raph and Jazmine fall in love.

I really liked Jazmine. She’s feisty, independent, strong and genuine. Jazmine’s life has been turned upside down a few times, but she can’t believe her eyes when she’s in Eden. She wants to leave that world, but her life on Earth isn’t great so she tries to have a new life on Eden. Her life hasn’t been easy, but it has made Jazmine strong. She’s not someone who you can mess with. When one of the heirs does something to her, Jazmine takes revenge. She will befriend a girl soon and they have an amazing friendship.

Raph wasn’t easy to like at the beginning, since he’s rude to Jazmine without a reason. I started to like him when he started to like Jazmine, but at the end I’m not sure what to think about him again. Raph is cold, powerful, talented and closed off. He’s in control of many elements and nobody has ever beaten him in a duel. Raph has been raised to be the King of Eden and that’s his future.

What I love in a paranormal romance, is the creation of a new world and the special ability the characters have. Eden is pretty much a mirror of the world we know, but there are some small differences. Everyone in Eden can control an element of the Earth. The heirs of the Dynasties are stronger in their element. I really liked this ability and I loved reading how Jazmine learned it. I won’t have minded it if it was talked about or done more, because it’s what makes this book paranormal.

Secret Heir is the first novel in the Dynasty series. It was a great introduction to the Dynasties, Eden and the characters. There were a few twists near the end that made Jazmine question everything she thought she knew. This book definitely ended with a cliffhanger. This book makes me want to read the next part.

-- My honest review is based on an advanced reader copy of this book. --
Profile Image for Danielle's.
Author 1 book139 followers
January 11, 2018
My life was getting in the way of reading this book! I couldn't put it down.

The book cover and title don't do this book justice. I expected to read another book that went something like; ... I'm a princess ... now I have to learn what to do. That wasn't this story. It was so much better!

Jazmine is in the foster care system. She has never found a home since her mum died. She's been passed from family to family. She works a rubbish job in the hope of saving to go to art school and better her life.

One night she meets a stranger who looks familiar, little does she know he's about to change her life forever. Jazmine is only half human her father was a king on a parallel planet. Unfortunately, he has passed away, but not before his secret daughter was discovered. Now Jazmine is taken to a foreign planet and has to start all over again. A new school, a new life but all the same drama (with a twist of course!). She is royalty and also an outcast. The queen bee and her boyfriend, Raph make it clear she isn't welcome. They rule the school and she is a new toy to play with. Everyone ignores her except Raph. He's mean and determined to get rid of her. He didn't see her coming. Jaz is no pushover. One prank after another everything gets totally out of hand.

All is fair in love and war. Things are about to get messy!

I love a good bully sexual frustration book and this ticked all the right boxes for me. I loved the heirs. The elite who think they're more than everyone else. Some turn out to be nice some not so much. Then there's the underdog best friend who is everything Jazmine needs. Throw in some magical powers and a whole world of trouble and I'm hooked! I loved this book even though it ends on a cliffhanger which I normally totally hate. Yes, I want more!

I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review. 5 stars. When is the next one out? I need it yesterday!

*Available on Kindle Unlimited. ❤️
Profile Image for Dianne.
6,765 reviews577 followers
January 23, 2018
Jazmine never felt she belonged. Tossed from foster home to foster home, she never fit in. Life was brutal, she learned to develop a tough outer layer, but inside is a different story. Isn’t there anywhere she can find happiness? What has she done to deserve so much turmoil?

The answers came, but in the most unbelievable way from a parallel world, from “Eden,” and Jazmine will discover she is part of this world, too, but will she fit in there? Is this where she belongs or will she find more heartache and loneliness…or worse…

Jazmine has gone from being almost non-existent to being the heir apparent to a powerful dynasty in a world where magic is part of life, but the rivalries between dynasties is vicious and petty jealousies and suspicions run rampant, even in a world filled with powerful beings. Her greatest enemy is the young man from a rival dynasty and his vitriol is venomous, but why? Seems love and hate definitely are two sides to the same coin, but can Jazmine trust the game of hot and cold Raphael is playing?

SECRET HEIR by M.J. Prince is a high turmoil, high angst tale of forbidden love, jealousy and deceit for one girl who really seems to be getting the short end of life’s stick. The writing is excellent, prepare to feel your gut churn, to want to jump in and rattle a few haughty cages. My distress level was at peak levels, what with the back and forth romance, not romance, between Raphael and Jazmine. Why, you ask? Because it was all over power, control, appearances and petty jealousy. I was disappointed in Jazmine, after all she has faced in life, she jumped into Raph’s arms far too easily, was far too easy to manipulate.

SECRET HEIR reads like a young adult tale depicting the emotional immaturity of teens, young teens. Yet, the sensual, sexual moments where Raph and Jazmine are together, in private, while the public sees the conflict was just wrong. I believe on Earth, we would be having an intervention. Romance has conflicts, yes, but healthy conflict is good, these two are far from healthy. M.J. Prince does tell a good tale, it just isn’t quite New Adult to me and certainly isn’t Young Adult. That said, yes, the writing and M.J. Prince's talent is not in question...it certainly got a rise out of me and I most definitely was immersed in this world!

I received a complimentary ARC edition from M.J. Prince! This is my honest review.

Series: Dynasty - Book 1
Publisher: Royal Press; 1 edition (February 27, 2018)
Publication Date: February 27, 2018
Genre: Fantasy Romance
Print Length: 348 pages
Available from: Amazon | Barnes & Noble
For Reviews & More: http://tometender.blogspot.com
Profile Image for ✶Rachelle✶ .
266 reviews119 followers
January 16, 2018

***I received a free eARC from the author in exchange for my honest review***

So basically this reminded me of The Princess Diaries meets Percy Jackson, but with a Gossip Girl twist

^^^How I imagined Jazmine when she found out she was basically a princess

Jazmine finds out that not only does she have awesome elemental powers, but she is the heir to a super powerful Dynasty and her dad used to the be the king. Throw in some high class super wealthy kids boarding school drama, and you have The Secret Heir.

There was a lot I enjoyed about this book, especially for a debut novel. I'm a sucker for a ton of drama and this book delivered. There are badass girls and mean bitches and hot guys and brooding guys and I LOVE THEM ALL! Add in some great fantasy and elemental magic and I was hooked. The romance between the MC and the love interest was on point, and I never once felt any insta-love (which I absolutely hate). The MC has a lot of sharp, jagged edges, and honestly I wasn't a big fan of her in the beginning. However, she grew on me and by the end of the book I was cheering her on.

There were some interesting plot twists that I didn't see coming (which is always enjoyable), and overall the narration and dialogue flowed really well and didn't feel stilted at all.

So why the 3.5 stars? I felt like there were a lot of overused cliches. Using certain phrases once or twice I can understand, but there were put in excessively. There were a few times that I was confused on whether I had read the particular passage before because of the repetition.

Overall, a great start to the series! Ms. Prince has a solid start, and I am looking forward to reading her future books.
Profile Image for hugsandcookies.
944 reviews71 followers
September 26, 2019
I was kindly asked to be an ARC reader for an honest review.

5 Stars - Amazing casts - Paranormal - Fantasy - Hot book cover - Cliffhanger.

Before I carry on, the story itself at first, felt a little dragged out (maybe it’s just me) but I thought oh no here goes a book that will probably end up in my DNF.......but thank goodness, it did not end up there.

So here goes, I was more curious about who Jazmine really is (plus that book cover image omg it’s so damn pretttty). Although (as I mentioned) the first couple of chapters in, were abit slow to pick up. Jazmine is not your typical teenager, for she doesn’t realise who and what she is.

Now, as her long-lost grandfather Magnus enters, he tells her all about who she is and why he’s there, and hello he ends up taking her to a place that’s not from her world but a whole different world. At first I did wonder how she’ll be, but Jazmine surprised me. I like her character she’s fiesty and she does where her heart on her sleeves but she can throw a mean one if she’s pushed. As Jazmine becomes more familiar with her new place, she also becomes more familiar with the A-squaders, a group of the ‘hottest guys and the mean girls’, who targets her and the leader in all this is Raph St Tristan.

So all in all, MJ Prince’s descriptive fantasy of this book took a life of it’s own and I kind of imagined myself in that place (so crazy). I definitely was amused, pretty much annoyed and then angry but so glad that this book definitely gives you the feels of everything, but that ending D@MN......now waiting and hoping BOOK 2 comes out SOON!!!
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Kavita Kumar-Karthik.
326 reviews36 followers
March 1, 2018
This was predictably fun. For me it was a little like a mix of so many books I've read. So the school mafia scenes, we have books like Fallen Crest and the Paper Princess of the Royals series. The only additional things in this were the other realm, some royalty stuff and some elemental magic.

Right, so we have Jazmine who's been shuffled around in foster homes after her mother's death. She feels out of place, she's frustrated and she feels like she just doesn't belong. She works as a waitress to save money for her art college dreams. One evening,an old man follows her home and tells her that he is her grandfather and she is the lost heir of the Evenstar dynasty, but that is in another realm, Eden. Phew !! We get you Jaz! One day you are a nobody and the next, royal heir and all.. talk about 180 degrees !!

Moving on, so she is magic'ed off to Eden where her grandpa gives her a history lesson.. Apparently there are 4 other dynasties each having an heir. Only one of them will rule the Kingdom. The kingdom's last King was Jaz's biological father, who committed suicide. Politics and love never go hand in hand!! Now, these 4 other spoiled brats try to scare Jaz off. Of course, one of them is hot and sizzling Raphael of St. Tristan Dynasty. Damn ! I love angel names..they are such bad boy names. Well, that's what Raphael is.. He is to be the next King if all goes according to plan. But that seldom happens..

Jaz has to join the Regency Mount Academy with the other brats and learn about elements, magic and other stuff. So, its more of a turf war. But Jaz holds her own. Lets not ignore the lust and hate feelings both she and Raph share. And there is a lot of royal politics, new relationships forged, new friendships, old associations, betrayal, heart break etc etc..

The plot though not original was fun to read. I love YA angsty romance and this had magic in addition too. I loved to read about Jaz's power and her bad-ass moves against them brats.. I loved all the descriptions of midnight blues, shining lights and all that elemental stuff !!

The end though, was a little cliche and I cannot believe Jaz went running off.. I'd like to see where this story goes..
Profile Image for Sharon Mariampillai.
1,964 reviews85 followers
January 28, 2018
I received a copy from the author, in exchange for an honest review.

This was an amazing read. This is my favourite book of the month. The story had me hooked right from the start. This was an incredible forbidden love story between the main characters and I loved every single minute of it. The characters were amazing. I loved Jazmine. She made me laugh and I thought that she was a badass. She is one of those heroines that I love to read about because they are snarky and feisty. Ralph was a complex character. I thought it would have been great if we got a glimpse inside of what he thinks. Out of all the characters, my favourite is Dani. I loved her sweet nature and how she accepted Jazmine. I really loved the friendship between Dani and Jazmine. The world was amazing. I wished the book did not end in a cliffhanger because now I need book 2. I am definitely recommending this book to my friends. I can't wait to read book 2, and many other books that M.J. Prince will write. Overall, a fantastic read.
Profile Image for Ana Vizentim.
446 reviews21 followers
February 26, 2018

4,5 Evenstars STARS

At the beginning I thought I'll not enjoy it.....
But I was totally wrong!!!!!

description

This book got my attention and I really enjoyed it!!!!
description

I really enjoyed Jazmine. She was tough and I loved her attitude!
I loved her friendship with Dani and the way she became friend with some of others Dynasty heirs.

description

I have my reasons to dislike Raph. But when him and Jaz were together I loved it, even the hating part!!!!

description

And the Balls.... AMAZING!!!
description

OMG!!!! This end.... I need more, NOW!!!!! It can't end this way....
I feel empty...
description

I'm a hot mess. So many emotions are flooding from me right now.
description

Thank you M.J. Prince to let me read this amazing book. But I don't think I can wait for the second book, so please, hurry up!!!!!

If you love YAs set in fantasy worlds definitely give it a try.
Profile Image for ❄️✨ Kat ✨❄️.
122 reviews27 followers
My very first ARC!
______________________________

ARC kindly provided by author in exchange for an honest review.
Thank you SO much, M.J.! I'm enamored with these characters and hope to get to read the second one soon <3

Ugh this book just SHATTERED me in the best possible way and I can't wait to get my hands on the second book in the series. If I could give this 10 stars, I definitely would.

Jazmine has bounced around between multiple foster homes throughout her life, until one day Magnus, her grandfather (from a father that she never met) pops up and tells her that Earth is not safe for her anymore. Then he whisks her away through a portal and that's when we enter Eden. Magnus doesn't tell her much, other than that now she is to attend a boarding school to complete her schooling; the only difference is that she will have to take an Elements class to control and train her powers. Her primary element is night & darkness, and each dynasty heir reigned over a certain element (kinda had a ACOMAF feel, which was awesome.) This is where I think the story really gets interesting.

At the boarding school, we meet the other 6 dynasty heirs, who all seem to hate her upon arrival; they tell her she doesn't belong in Eden. Two of them, however, Raphael St. Tristan, and his future betrothed, Layla, set out to make her life a living Hell. Jazmine meets and befriends a girl named Dani at that point, and their friendship gets Jaz through the chaos... which there is a ton of, because Jazmine is a badass and fights back.

Eventually, however, Raphael and Jazmine get to know each other, and they even seemingly begin to fall in love. They're similar in ways that neither of them have ever felt with anyone else, and they realize that they've never felt the way they feel about each other ever before. They become inseparable, despite the warnings from everyone around them. Both of them know that it shouldn't happen and it is a mistake; Jazmine learns that they are to battle for the throne of Eden. Only one of them can come out victorious. How does their love affect this?
Read the book and you'll find out...
The ending broke my heart! Definitely wasn't expecting it to happen.

Secret Heir has hands-down become one of my new favorite books, and I'm beyond excited to see what's in store for us in book 2. This book is coming out at the end of February, and if you like new-adult fantasy-fiction books (there are some steamy sex scenes throughout), you will absolutely LOVE this book!!
Profile Image for Mg ♥ The Bookishmedialite.
1,150 reviews297 followers
March 14, 2018

4.5 stars!

Romeo and Juliet meet Gossip Girl in this new addictive paranormal tale of two star-crossed lovers that will leave you screaming at the top of your lungs, asking for more.

There was something addicting about Secret Heir. I don't know if it was the amazing characters, the captivating plot, the writing style or the mesmerizing chemistry between Raph & Jazmine but I just couldn't get enough of them.

This book brings you magic, friendship, angst, jealousy, lies, betrayal, heartbreaking, a delicious sexual tension, and more, so much more. M.J. Prince did an amazing job pulling me in. I found myself totally immersed in the world she created, and I'm telling you now... I'm not going anywhere. I need the next book just like Raph needs sex. Dang, Raph. You broke my heart, buddy.

Secret Heir is the first book in a sexy, enthralling new paranormal series by M.J. Prince that will definitely hook you in and make you follow until the very end. A total MUST READ!

description

You can find me here: INSTAGRAM
Profile Image for AJ.
2,802 reviews913 followers
February 15, 2018
3.5 angsty, intriguing stars!

I really enjoyed this book. An angsty teen romance with hints of the supernatural, but definitely more of a mature-YA romantic drama than a paranormal story. It’s the first in the Dynasty trilogy, and a great introduction to a new world with well-developed, enjoyable characters, sexy, emotional and angsty romance, captivating high school drama, and a hint of political intrigue. It has a bit of a feel of the Royals series by Erin Watt, and I thought it was a great read.

Jazmine is a 17 year old girl who has been bounced around different foster homes for the last ten years following the death of her mother. With nobody who cares for her and nothing to call her own, she feels lost and alone, and dreams of something more.

Maybe it’s something else, something that I can’t quite put my finger on that makes me feel like I just don’t belong anywhere – not here in this shit hole of a town, not in any of the other towns that I’ve lived in nowhere, and something inside me knows that I could travel the entire earth and still never find somewhere to belong.

And then along comes Magnus. He tells her that he is her grandfather, and that she is so much more than she ever imagined. And just like that, she is whisked away to Eden, a realm on another planet that is home to the Seraph, a race of gods who have control of the seasons and the elements both in their world and on earth. Jazmine is a member of the Evenstar family – one of the seven ruling Dynasties of Eden, and not only that, following the recent death of the father she never knew, she is the last remaining heir.

Shortly after that life-changing reveal though, Jazmine is shipped off to boarding school which, though being on an entirely different realm of existence, is set up like every other US high school I’ve ever read about – right down to calculus exams, parties, sports and cliques - and it’s the Dynasty Heirs that rule the school, except for Jazmine who is immediately labelled as an outsider and is a target for torment because of it. All thanks to heir to the throne and king of the school, Raphael St. Tristan.

Raph is an asshole to Jazmine, and the other heirs and most of the rest of the school follow suit. A war between them very quickly follows, which does tend to the extreme side of things... ...but it's full of delicious tension and chemistry.

“I guess we’re even now,” I say finally, my voice a ragged whisper.
Raph seems to calm down then and it makes him all the more dangerous. He flashes me a smile which is as beautiful as it is disturbing.
“Oh, no, baby, we’re
far from even.” The promise echoes through my ears long after he stalks off out of the cafeteria.

But though there seems to be a whole lot of hatred going on, there are glimpses of attraction, and as Jaz sticks up for herself and gives back and good as she gets, and she and Raph share some surprisingly vulnerable momoents, things slowly begin to shift.

“You’re so different – different from anyone I’ve ever met. In a world that’s all about appearances and status, you’re so real. Everything about you is real.”

I’m always a fan of the cocky, arrogant guys, and though Raph is a manwhoring ass at the beginning of the story, he grew on me! His arrogance is charming, and I loved his sarcastic humour and his possessiveness over Jaz – even while he was being a dick to her. There’s a bit of back and forth and it’s all very angsty, but the feelings are there, and the sexual tension is fantastic as it all builds to the inevitable, and I reveled in every moment of the sweet anticipation and eventual love story.

“What am I to you, Raph?” I ask simply.
…“You’re mine, Jaz.”

But Raph’s life is complicated. His place in their world has ruled his life, and there are big plans in place for him – plans that don’t include Jazmine. It’s part of the reason for the angst between them, and it creates a great sense of the forbidden and love-against-the-odds.

“You weren’t a part of the plan, Jaz. For the first time in my life, I have no idea what the hell is going to happen. But I’ve never felt so alive. Being with you, wanting you, has made me come alive. You make me come alive.
“I can’t even pretend that this isn’t a mess. But it’s a fucking beautiful mess.”

But as the full extent of their situations become clear, it’s a massive game changer, forever altering Jazmine’s reality once again.

Nothing this good, nothing this intense can ever last. Even the brightest stars burn out.

I admit it took me a little bit to get fully invested in this story, but once I started to feel it, I was completely hooked and couldn’t put it down, desperate to see what was going to happen. It’s different from what I was expecting. I was thinking this was going to be more of a paranormal/fantasy story, but apart from the occasional throwing of a fireball and a practice duel or two, there’s not a whole lot going on. I guess the fantasy aspect comes more from the political side of things – the way the world is set up and the implications of their actions which have far-reaching consequences, and I like the potential that is there with that.

I enjoyed the characters. Jazmine is strong, sensible and relatable, and a love a strong heroine! Raph is the misunderstood asshole that I can’t wait to get to know better. Jazmine’s friend, Dani, is lots of fun and there’s some great potential there for her story. There’s the villain who I can’t wait to see get what’s coming to them, and the rest of the Dynasty heirs bring a lot to the story, and I loved the dynamics between them. I have a particular soft spot for Baron, and I’m hoping my theories about him play out.

“God, as much as I’m enjoying standing here choking on all this sexual tension, I think I’ll go upstairs and drill holes into my teeth – because that’ll be more bearable.”

This is a great read. It's YA, but mature-YA, with some strong language and sexual content. It’s well written and intriguing, and after some big reveals at the end, I was left desperate for more.

“People underestimate just how destructive the truth can be if revealed at the wrong time.”

3.5 stars.

An Advanced Review Copy was generously provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Profile Image for Monika.
82 reviews13 followers
February 9, 2018
Beautiful 5 Star!!!

ARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review

Absolute entertainment. I really enjoyed this book very much. beautiful story, in fact a hate-turned-into-love-again-turned-into-hatred story. Excellent writing style MJ, i thoroughly enjoyed each and every scene of this book. Please release the next book asap as i can't wait! :)

This story is about this girl who is actually a nobody but finds out to be the heir of a different realm and is thrown into this chaos of political game without her having any hint of.

Lovie Dovie scenes are really good but i was devastated at Well I dunno what is next in this series but I sure as hell want to read it. So a request to MJ -- please release the next book asap with a copy to me and I would love to read and put my honest review for it.

200% Recommend! :)
Profile Image for Laura.
229 reviews3 followers
February 3, 2018
ARC kindly given for honest review

Oh my fricken god!!! This book!!!
I really wish there was more than 5 stars to award. It blew me away.

Jazmine, a foster kid that’s been passed through 10 homes, finds out she’s the Heir to the Evenstar Dynasty on Eden. Sounds a bit nuts, but bear with me......
She joins Grandpa Magnus on Eden and becomes part of a world of riches she has never known. Jazmine is a fabulous, sassy character, that takes no crap from the snotty spoiled royals.
I don’t want to put a load of spoilers in this review, because you really have to read this book!!!!
But I will say, I HATE YOU RAPH 🔪😡

I can’t remember the last time I was this excited about the next book in a series!
Profile Image for Darque  Dreamer .
360 reviews47 followers
January 15, 2018
Secret Heir is breathtaking and heart-pounding! It has fantasy, passion, and betrayal. For those who love adult books with a young adult feel, and steamy romance scenes, this one is for you.

After reading the synopsis I was immediately drawn in with promises of a parallel fantasy world of vivid color, an outcast main character, and a devilishly handsome angel. This one definitely fulfilled those promises. This one had intrigue and mystery. It had romance and betrayal, and had a mix of young adult and adult writing style.

Did I enjoy this one? For the most part, yes. The writing was well done. It was descriptive and unique and kept me wanting more. The world building was nicely done with colorful bits of imagination and beauty.

What I found to be a little awkward was that it read like a young adult book, but had very mature adult sex scenes. It was marketed as "new adult," which covers the maturity level of the romance and sexual content, but the ages of the characters, and the plot line felt more suited to a young adult book. I would have enjoyed it more if the sex scenes were less graphic, to suit the enjoyable young adult feel, or if the characters were in college instead of high school, and didn't deal with any "high school/ relationship" drama.

The characters were decently developed. I never really got invested in one single character, but felt that I learned enough about each one to follow them along the story line. I had a few characters that I liked, and a few characters that I didn't. I enjoyed the sassiness of Jazmine, and the friendship love from Dani, but I abhorred the bitchiness from Layla, and the "hate to love" attitude from Raph.

The story itself had its own uniqueness to it, along with some typical young adult aspects. It was a quick, enjoyable read. I loved the creation of Eden, and the different dynasties that ruled it. I loved the uniqueness of the world history and the powers of the Seraph in relation to earth. I didn't enjoy the sex scenes, but I did like the fact that the male character looked to the female character for permission before engaging in anything.

Secret Heir was exciting. It had me racing through it, on the edge of my seat. Could it have been better? Yes, but it still stood on its own with fantastical aspects of beauty, intrigue, originality, and exhilaration!

Thank you to the author for providing me with this free e-ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Profile Image for Tapasya.
359 reviews
February 3, 2018
Rating : ★ ★ ★
Lead Male Character : Raphael ★ ★ ★
Lead Female Character : Jazmine ★ ★ ★
Plotline : ★ ★ ★
Genre : Fantasy Romance

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
A rebellious teenager called Jazmine discovers that the world isn't quite what she expected it to be. She gets kidnapped and taken to the Eden World. The Eden is similar to Earth but is a magical land which sits parallel to earth. Jazmine is the heir of one of the seven dynasties (mentioned below in spoilers) which rules Eden. She is half-human, and her parentage makes her an outcast. The other dynasty heirs especially Raphael, who is a superstar in the Eden world tries to make her life a hell. But Jazmine is not a doormat. She gives him back. I liked their love-hate relationship.
🌪🌪🌪🌪🌪🌪🌪🌪🌪🌪🌪🌪🌪

This book is enjoyable and fast-paced fantasy. So overall, I liked it.
But what I didn't like:
Too much glorification and beautification of the dynasty heirs. I was constantly rolling my eyes. It got a little too much.
Too much of slut shaming. Jazmine's POV was irritating sometimes.

🌙🌙🌙🌙🌙🌙🌙🌙🌙🌙🌙🌙🌙

The Secret Heir was an enjoyable read, but not exactly a memorable one. And while there were certain elements to it that were fairly original, the story felt similar to these young adult fantasy books released nowadays. But nonetheless I don't regret reading this book. I will surely read the next book.
☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️🍀🍀🍀🍀

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

Arc kindly provided by author in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Janett.
288 reviews66 followers
January 27, 2019
Secret Heir (Dynasty, #1) by M.J. Prince
4.5 Evenstars!

Read 2nd time -- January 2019

I picked this up on an impromptu read because it's been one of the stories on my mind and I NEED that second book already!!!

This was still fantastic and an addictive page turner.

I am dying to go back to Eden!!! I LIVE FOR IT!!!

ORIGINAL REVIEW
Author provided an ARC copy in exchange for an honest review.

MY NERVES ARE SHOT!!!

I AM SHATTERED!!!! I CAN'T EVEN THINK STRAIGHT RIGHT NOW!!!

REVIEW WILL COME WHEN I STOP SHAKING!!!!!!!!

20 minutes later...

Do I feel better after my emotional outburst above?

Not even close! But I can't contain my thoughts and my emotions! I just can't! They are boiling over! I have to write this review while my feelings are raw!

HOOOOOOLY CRAAAAP!!!!

I am still shaking after finishing “Secret Heir", the first book in the "Dynasty" trilogy by MJ Prince.

Literally!

My heart can't seem to slow down and adrenaline keeps pumping through my body because I am pissed!!! Sooo PO'd with anger right now I think I need to down a couple of shots of stiff liquor just to calm myself down but I'm afraid that even that won't do the trick either!!!

I loved, LOVED this book! ❤❤❤

There was angst, intrigue, betrayal, moments that made me smile like an idiot and sexy scenes that twisted my insides and threatened to incinerate my tablet and every single page was delicious and drove my anticipation through the roof!

I don't like comparing books but I'm a HUGE Erin Watt fan and this story reminded me so much of “The Royals" which is one of my favorite NA series ever hence, naturally I fell captive to MJ Prince's Eden, an alternate world parallel to Earth and the lives of the young, the wealthy, the beautiful and the powerful.

This is a spoiler free review so I'll keep to the things I loved about this book.

The characters!

Jazmine Evenstar – This is my girl! Love her!
Jazmine believes herself to be nothing special; just another orphan kid being put through the foster care system until she reaches legal age. She's counting the days to freedom so she can finally go off on her own and start her life away from the misery she's had to live. That's all well and good until the day she is taken to Eden and is informed that she isn't a nobody but a very important somebody!

She is a heroine to be reckoned with. She is strong but not untouchable. I appreciated the walls she erected to protect herself, her honest feelings, her lack of trust in others because she's had to look out for herself for so many years after her mother's death, her tenacity, her sass, her vulnerabilities, her heart!

There are times when I’m standing in a room full of people and still feel alone, like if I scream at the top of my lungs, no one would even hear me. The thought is a depressing one and maybe a tad melodramatic, but it's true.

I love characters that make me feel something and Jazmine's experiences and the person she is made me feel! I felt her every emotion – the positive and the negative. Prince does a wonderful job taking us on this journey through Jazmine's eyes that I couldn't help but hang on her every word, every thought, every high and low.

She reminded me of how awesome and titillating new love can be with that special someone that catches your heart, makes you breathless, becomes the center of your universe and they're beautiful and perfect and everything you desire, want and need. The feels were unreal!!!

Raphael “Raph" St. Tristan – I was not a fan of this guy or his first name so I was so relieved he was referred to as “Raph" for 90% of the book because the name Raphael wasn't cutting it for me. No. Nah.

So Raph is of course, rich, gorgeous, sexy as sin with an enormous ego AND future heir to the throne of Eden. I'm going to plainly say this, the guy is a total douchebag and I wanted nothing more than to rip him to shreds (putting it kindly) so many times I stopped counting!

Why do gorgeous guys have to be such jackasses?! Raph is that jackass! You know…that guy that could make you soar and then take a sledgehammer and shatter your heart to pieces? Yeah… That's this conceited a-hole!

From the moment the first words are spoken between he and Jazmine…can I say, fireworks of epic proportions?!!! It was sooo good!

I didn't want to like this guy but ARGH!!! I ended up falling for his charm and his words and his aura and I loved him cause he made my girl swoon and despite his shortcomings he had such redeeming qualities.

The supporting characters brought substance, lot of laughs and fun to the story…and more angst as they interacted with the main characters. They each helped to flesh out more of Jazmine's and Raph’s story lines.

The plot – GAH! It was awesome! Trust me! You've got to read it.

Following are the things I would’ve liked to have had more of:

The world of Eden – It's described as a beautiful place of colors unlike any you'd see on Earth. Technology, clothing, even the education system parallels all you can find on Earth.

Eden is real and it isn’t just a garden, it’s an entire world. It sits alongside Earth in another realm, running parallel alongside Earth, but never touching.

This is the realm where beings called Seraphs – gods who have the power and influence to control the elements reside apart from lowly humankind. Eden is ruled by seven Dynasties or royal households, each one dominant over an element embedded in their royal bloodline.

I loved the structure of this world and it sounds great but I wished we would've been given more about this awesome planet. I could imagine it but the outline remained fuzzy. I hope we get to know this place in greater detail next time.

Jazmine's power – I don't feel I was given enough understanding about her powers. I wanted MORE from her training sessions to make me understand. Perhaps this was done on purpose to keep the reader in tune to where Jazmine's own understanding of her powers currently lies.

Dani, Lance and Baron – I wanted even more from these super friends but they virtually disappeared about the 75% mark. Hoping we get the next portion of their story in the following book! It left me missing them!

Lastly, there are few scattered locations with missing punctuation marks and minor grammatical errors (nothing so egregious to fool with the meaning) but it would've been nice to have these cleaned up but they're forgivable if that sort of thing doesn't bug you much.

I truly enjoyed this book more than I expected to!

I cannot wait to read the next book!

Definitely Recommended!!!
Profile Image for BookQueen.
69 reviews7 followers
April 6, 2018
Official review is here!

Thank you MJ Prince for providing me with a paperback copy of Secret Heir!

Think Paper Princess but with powers in another realm. This book had me turning the pages from beginning to end.

Jaz lives in on Earth and has been moving from one foster home to another since she was 7. When a mysterious man appears and tells her of another realm where she is heir to a Dynasty, she doesn't believe him. He brings her there anyways because we if didn't then we wouldn't have a book...

On Eden, everyone is beautiful. Like otherworldly beautiful because they are Seraphs. Anyways, the heirs to the other dynasties are pretty nasty to her and she shows her strength by fighting back and showing these privileged rich kids that she is not easily messed with.

Naturally, there has to be a love interest and this one just so happens to be her enemy. Her enemy at school and to the throne. Their pranks on each other are pretty funny and they will have you laughing no doubt and when they stop fighting, the chemistry between them is just wow. I don't even know how to explain it but I loved it.

So anyways, Jaz has to deal with a bunch of stuff and she's super strong but one mean girl is probably the biggest bitch I have ever read about. Layla...the mean girl and queen bee. So much hate towards her I can't even deal with it lol

I don't want to spoil anything so I'm going to tell you guys that you have to read it. It's amazing! The story and the characters are great and the book is amazingly written.

Oh and that cliffhanger killed me so I need book 2 like yesterday. I don't know what to do with myself now because I have been left with the biggest book hangover ever.
Profile Image for ❤SanaReads❤.
1,069 reviews62 followers
February 22, 2018
⭐⭐⭐⭐ Eden stars!

ARC kindly provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

“God, you have no idea how much I want to be inside you,” he says, and his words send a delicious thrill along my skin.
“I want to be inside you so bad, that I can’t even think straight half the time, and when we’re lying in that bed of yours, my body on yours … it takes everything I have, every last bit of self-control to stop myself from burying myself deep inside you.”

An absolute enjoyable read.

But seriously?!!

A CLIFFHANGER!!!

A C.L.I.F.F.H.A.N.G.E.R!!

description

Ten foster homes with different faces and zero sense of belonging, Jazmine always felt that there was something missing in her life.

“For as long as I can remember, I’ve always felt … different. Like, even if I did try, I could never really fit in.”

Struggling to make ends meet, she never thought that her life would turn upside down the moment a mysterious Magnus came to see her.

“Ten years ago, on this day, my life was turned upside down when my mom was ripped from my world, and on the same day, ten years later, my life is being turned upside down again.”

Struggling to accept the idea of being a princess and the only Heir to the Evenstar Dynasty on Eden, Jazmine never thought that a certain brooding heir named Raphael would be added to the equation.

The St. Tristan Dynasty and The Evenstar Dynasty are like the day and the night, they never meet but this should be told to Raph and Jazmine's hearts who couldn't fight the attraction and the feelings that were blossoming between them.

“He sweeps the sunlight away, just as I coax the darkness forward, our powers perfectly in sync. The connection that I feel between us in that moment shakes me to the core. I’ve never felt so close to someone in my entire life, so connected, and I’m certain there’s no other feeling like this in the entire universe. The feeling is so alien, so new, yet at the same time, it feels as ancient as time itself, as primal as my deepest desires.
In that moment, with our powers fused together, it’s as if we’re one person. Like two halves of a whole snapping into place with such finality, that it’s almost frightening. It feels like I’ve been wandering through the universe for an age, lost, searching for something and in this moment, I’ve finally found that lost fragment of myself. It’s him.”

A beautiful and captivating story with the sweet touch of the forbidden love, the power of magic and the mystery of the unknown.
Profile Image for Joy Reads.
104 reviews28 followers
March 26, 2018
This book was recommended by Janett, and I think it may have pulled me out of my book slump. There were things about this book that weren't perfect, but despite those things, I never wanted to put this one down! I even read it while at a party, sneaking glances of my kindle app. This is definitely a romance, with sex and language, two things I personally love. If either of those offend you, I would look elsewhere.

This is the story of Jazmine, 17 year-old orphan on her tenth foster home. A home that uses her for a paycheck. Jazmine never knew her father, and her mother, her idol, died when she was ten. Since she will soon be 18, and unceremoniously dumped out of the program, she works hard to save up and go to art school, a gift from her mother. Jazmine works at basically a Hooters, but a more country version with slightly less clothing. She is obviously beautiful, but moves too often to really know anyone or get close. She's never even kissed a boy.

One night, a mysterious older man shows up at her work. Turns out he is her grandfather. He father was royalty on a world called Eden. Eden is ruled by Dynasty Seraphs. Pretty much they are just like regular humans except insanely gorgeous and they have elemental powers. There are seven ruling dynasties and Jazmine is a part of the Evenstar dynasty-rulers of the night. She isn't exactly welcomed with open arms. Bastard child of the late king, who took his own life, and half human, the other dynasties think her beneath them. Plus, when word gets around about her former job, she is quickly labeled by the fellow teenage dynasty heirs.

Despite the fact that this book takes place in a different world, it is very much so like earth. Jazmine is thrust into a new school run by means girls and cruel boys. Teachers turn a blind eye to the shenanigans of the rich and powerful. Jazmine finds herself an outcast before school even really starts thanks to Raphael St. Tristan (Dynasty of the day). He has marked her as beneath them, not worthy of talking to. He and his queen bee girlfriend, Layla, make sure she feels as alone as possible.

Jazmine isn't the girl to roll over and take it. She fights back, she stands up to the spoiled brats and lets them know they don't scare her. Raph lead the charge against her, but soon finds himself wanting to spend more time with Jazmine. Slowly, the two form a friendship. The sexual tension between these two is off the charts. I love how strong Jazmine is, although she IS still definitely a teenager. You really get to see the conflict for Raph and that the rich and fabulous lives of the Dynasty aren't quite so perfect.

Now, some of the things I didn't like about this book: The words "slut" and "whore" are used a lot. And there is a lot of girl on girl hate for my tastes. I felt I didn't really get to know the female villain. I want to know more about her and what her drive is. I also felt like Jazmine just accepted the shaming without standing up for herself. Maybe some people saw this as her ignoring the labels, but a part of me felt like she accepted them (and that could be a me thing).

I also felt there could have been more world building. Eden as the mirror of earth seemed a bit too easy. I love my fantasy romances, but I love the world building with them. it was a bit lacking here. I also felt the focus here was the romance (which I have no problem with), but the rest of the plot was a bit underdeveloped. It all came to a head at the end and left me feeling a little rushed. I also found the perfect, beautiful people, ALL OF THEM, a bit easy. I get that they are supposed to be seraph, but I was just hoping for some variety. The constant mention of how perfect and gorgeous Raph or Layla was got a bit old. There are a few grammatical/sentence structure errors, but nothing major. All together, I loved this book. I couldn't put it down. I am most upset that I have no information about the next book or when it will be released! Because I NEED it NOW!
Profile Image for Irma *Irma The Book Whisperer*.
1,455 reviews113 followers
An Explosion of feels!!!

Wow! This story. Wow!
I've read that this was a loose adaption of Romeo and Juliet, but with a fantastical twist. True, but it's also much more, it's a story of forbidden love, betrayal and royal scandals. All for the crown.

When I started reading it, I had no idea what I was going to get from it. But I fell in love with it from the first word on. By the time I got to 43%, I went and fully stalked M.J. everywhere.
Beautiful writing, captivating characters and a story that will blow your mind!

His mouth brushes agains mine in the softest of touches, once, twice. It's nothing more than the brushing of lips, but oh God, it's everything. Everything I didn't feel in that kiss with Baron-the fire, the flutters, the heat. It's all there and it's insane, because it's not even really a kiss.

See?

I was greatly impressed by this fantastic compelling story.

The beauty is nothing but a deception. It draws you in with the promises of hope that creep into your soul. But it's all lies. All of it. The danger that lurks beneath that beauty is like the thorns beneath the bloom of a rose, like poison from the sweetest forbidden fruit.

Intoxicating. And I need more.

description
Profile Image for Bibliophile Rose.
166 reviews102 followers
January 18, 2018
***I received a free eARC from the author in exchange for my honest review***

Pookh MIND BLOWING

I wasn't expecting that I'm going to love this book, I had low expectations. At the beginning, The story was slow and kinda boring for me, but then it picked up when Jazmine met Raph and the fun began. Also, Eden!! and high school for the ones who have seraph powers!! Awesome!! The concept of this story was original, which made me like it more and more!
And what I loved the most is the way the scenes are described, It felt like I'm watching a TV Series.

Oh, the end!!! Cliffhanger!!!! I need to read the next book!! you can't just leave me like that!! I need answers!!
description
Profile Image for P๏€cɨℓią* L.
602 reviews17 followers
Surprise FIVE STARS!!!

At first I was having some trepidation to plunge into another fantasy world that was different from the one I'd been spending my time in. The rules were different, and it just felt realky awkward at the beginning. But, this totally took me by surprise. Sure, there were things that I wasn't completely on board with, but in the end, I was sold.

I loved the forbidden love angle and how it was executed. I would have to find out in the next book if I should love or hate Raph. My heart wanted to believe there was more to the story, but yet if it went that way, then it's rather not-original. I wonder if the author had the courage to really make him be the bad guy. It's very rare to have a true villain these days.

It did hav a gigantic cliff at the end, readers be warned. Sometimes, it feels good to want something, and Book 2 would be something that I would very much look forward to.

ARC provided by author
Profile Image for Αγάπη Μπουντούρη.
Author 1 book88 followers
January 5, 2018
ARC kindly provided by author in exchange of an honest review

A parallel universe? Enemies becoming lovers? Just sign me in already!

This is MJ Prince's debut novel, at the beginning I must say that I wasn't really into it and that's because the first 100 pages were pretty slow and nothing really kept me interested . But after passing these...the book was extremely compelling. Even before the real drama kicks off in the later chapters, I was so wholly pulled into Prince's world. All the drama is absolutely perfect and, while the author does draw on some familiar tropes, the world and characters feel fresh in her hands.
And in case it wasn't obvious, I really liked it!
Profile Image for Amanda.
104 reviews33 followers
February 22, 2021
I was kindly given an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review!

1.5 out of 5 stars

So, where to begin?
I really, really wanted to like this book and now that I've finished it, I can say that there were both things I liked about it and things I didn't.

The book is about 17-year-old Jazmine Evenstar. Since the death of her mother ten years prior, she has been moved around from foster home to foster home, never really belonging anywhere and always feeling like an outsider. After work one day, a man approaches her and tells her that he is her grandfather. He then tells her that she's not safe on Earth, so he kidnaps her and brings her to his home, Eden, which is another dimension but also the mirror image to Earth, so everything is exactly the same except everyone is really attractive and can control the elements. It turns out that Jazmine is the long lost heir to one of the seven royal houses and she is now expected to live there. She accepts her new life pretty quickly and she is soon enrolled into a boarding school with all the other nobles. She meets the other heirs, and lots of feelings and drama arises.

NOW, TO THE THINGS I LIKED ABOUT IT

- The book has a very good pace. Not once was I bored while reading it.

- If I had read this five to ten years ago I know I would have loved it.

- Super powers and people being able to control the elements is always a hit with me!

- I laughed a lot, sometimes with the book and sometimes at the book, but I had a lot of fun while reading.

- It's always really funny when non-Scandinavians choose to give their character the name Magnus because they think it sounds so cool and mysterious, and not at all like the middle aged bald guy we picture when we hear it.

Now, to the the things I didn't like:

- Everything felt like a cliché. From the characters's looks, to their personalities, to the plot. It kind of felt like I have read this book 10 times before. Just listen to how Jazmine describes her appearance:

"I'm not vain by any measure, but I know I've inherited my mom's looks. Long, jet black hair falling like a silken waterfall down my back, delicate features, full lips and perfectly arched brows. My body is my mom's, too - slim, yet curved in all the right places."
I'm sorry, but who describes their body like this?

- And I am also really tired of stories where the bad boy love interest threatens every other man within a ten mile radius to stay away from HIS GIRL, even though they're not even together. And oh he's so jealous and possessive all the time and HE is the only man she's allowed to be near, and it's just SUCH A SEXY BEHAVIOR AND TOTALLY ACCEPTABLE AND NOT AT ALL CREEPY. (barf)

- There were exact frases that were repeated over and over again throughout the book. Each one of these was probably used at least five times.

"On an almost primal level"
"I almost forgot that I'm supposed to hate him"
"His sensuous lips"
"He looks how I think an angel might"
"It's hard to think that a few days/weeks/months ago we were enemies"
"The hard length of him against the softest part of me"

- Which in turn brings me to the sex scenes. It's strange to me that while Jazmine has no problem calling her love interest's penis a dick, she seems incapable of calling her vagina anything other than "my hidden place", "most intimate parts", "the centre of me" and "the softest part of me".

- Also, the never ending slut shaming. Can we stop that please? Jazmine gets called a whore in like the first chapter, and her thoughts afterwards are something like "Oh, if they only knew I have never been on a date or had sex or have even kissed anyone." Because that would make it okay for them to call her that?? She gets called a whore several more times during the book and in return she calls every girl she doesn't like some variation of whore, slut or bitch.

- I know that the author was clearly striving to create a strong female character that the readers can look up to, but to me she's more mean than strong, if that makes sense? Like, whenever someone is mean to her she doesn't respond with arguments or by out-sassing her opponent, she just resorts to name calling. And then she gives herself a mental pat on the back for it. I wasn't too impressed by it.

- Also Jazmine was pretty much the biggest virgin to ever virgin, and, I have nothing against main characters being virgins, but it annoys me to have yet another woman who's like "OMG what is this amazing thing that is happening down there, love interest??? What is this thing that you and you alone can do to my body when you spear me with your fingers and thrust into me with your GINORMOUS COCK??? OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGG" ugh. If there is one thing I really want from the sequel it's for Jazmine to explore and reclaim her own sexuality.

This review may seem really negative, but I am actually quite intrigued to find out what happens next in the story. Everyone's writing style gets better and matures as they grow older (no matter their current age), and that ending made sure I will probably pick up the sequel as soon as it's available.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 197 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.