Start by marking “Inky the Octopus” as Want to Read:
Inky the Octopus

Inky the Octopus

Out of this tank, I must be free.
I must explore the open sea!

Inky the octopus is bored with aquarium life and wants to escape to the ocean! But just how can an octopus in a tank get to the open seas? Find out in Inky the Octopus, the only tale of the mischievous octopus to be officially endorsed by the National Aquarium of New Zealand.
Published May 3rd 2018 by Sourcebooks Wonderland (first published April 3rd 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Inky the Octopus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inky the Octopus

Start your review of Inky the Octopus
Schizanthus Nerd
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Inky the octopus lived at the National Aquarium of New Zealand for two years before his great escape. Museum workers discovered mysterious prints on the floor one morning in 2016 and Inky was no longer hanging out with his tank mate Blotchy. Workers believe that after the lid on Inky’s tank wasn’t secured properly the night before Inky took the opportunity to escape through a drain pipe in the floor that led to the sea. Inky the Octopus is a sweet rhyming children’s book that tells this true sto ...more
debbicat *made of stardust*
Love, love, love it. We need more children’s books like this. This is the story about a real life octopus who lived in the National Aquarium of New Zealand in Napier. While my copy was an ARC downloaded to my kindle, I could tell the illustrations were very well done. I think illustrations in children's books are extremely important.

The beginning of the story is about Inky, who was rescued and lived for quite a long time at the aquarium. Later, the reader gets to meet other octopuses where were
Carla
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Inky is an octopus living in an aquarium. He feels the call of the open sea, and wants to go free to see what is out there. He is able to sneak out one night when his tank is left open, just a bit, and squeeze through a drain out to the ocean. AS the story ends, you see him enjoying his new life in the sea.

This story is based on the real-life escape of an octopus from the New Zealand aquarium, and is told from Inky's point of view. This is like a real life Finding Dory with a happy ending. The i
Prabhjot Kaur (Away)
When I was ordering non-fiction books on a whim, I didn't think that a story about an Octopus's escape would be among those but it is and here we are. This book is based on a real life escape incident that happened at the National Aquarium of New Zealand.

Inky the Octopus lives in an aquarium in a world of see-through walls but he wants to explore and live a life of full adventure. When one night, he feels that he has a chance to escape, he takes it and ends up at the sea. This is such a fun boo
Lata
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
This cutely illustrated story told in amusing verse is about Inky, the octopus who escaped from an aquarium in New Zealand several years ago. Octopuses are endlessly fascinating, from their physical appearance, to their physiology, and to their various abilities and intelligence. And, as this fun book relates, they can be quite the enterprising escape artists.
Dee Dee G
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
First time I’ve heard of this. Based on a true story.
Andrew
Inky is the resident of the National Aquarium of New Zealand.
Inky wants to escape to the ocean. One night, he gets out of his tank.
Did you know that Inky's story is true?

This couplet-rhyming story and large colorful, charming and cartoony illustrations are a perfect book for fans of Finding Nemo/Finding Dory and (if you work in libraries), those working on Ocean of Possibility!
J. d'Merricksson
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Through gorgeous artwork and charming poetry with a hint of rhyme, Inky the Octopus tells the story of Inky, a curious octopus resident at the National Aquarium of New Zealand. This clever creature escaped one night, when his tank lid had been accidentally left loose. It is believed that Inky escaped back to the sea. He had come to the aquarium after having been found injured, and it seems he longed to return home once recovered!

At the end of the book is a brief section recapping the true story
Elaine
Children’s stories that are told in rhyme
Are winners for me almost every time.
That this is also based on something real
Made it an even more amazing deal.

Inky is an octopus trapped in an aquarium who
Dreams of escaping to explore the oceans blue.
Told from Inky’s point of view
This great escape is based on something true.

Brilliant, child friendly illustrations in colour, too
Help bring the story to life for me and you.
A heart warming story for everyone to enjoy
Whatever your age - or if you’re a girl
Ryan
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you kids are fans of Finding Dory then they need this book. Like Sid, Inky just wants out of his tank. He wants to travel and go on adventures. This is based on the true story of Inky at the New Zealand Aquarium. The illustrations are fun, the rhymes and cadence perfect, and the story is fun. At the end the author includes facts about octopi, and my favorite part, other celebrity Octopus.
Jeimy
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous illustrations accompany this story in verse inspired by Inky the Octopus’s escape from the National Aquarium in New Zealand. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Pop Bop
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This Book Is A Stone Cold Riot

We snorkel a lot and observing an octopus is and has been our fondest desire. Maybe some day. Meanwhile we entertain the grandkids with our underwater photos and videos, trips to the Monterey Bay Aquarium, and lots of ocean storybooks and ocean adventure and fact books. There are some excellent whale storybooks for little ones, and some very good otter and pelican books. But, we've never found a really good octopus book. Until now.

This book scores high marks across
Suzanne
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-kid-lit
Inky is an incredibly curious octopus who feels the call of the open sea, even while living a pampered life with catered meals and companionship within the National Aquarium of New Zealand. Despite "three meals a day of lobster, shrimp, and squid," Inky longs for something more than life in a tank. "Out of this tank, I must break free. I hear the ocean calling me!" says the adventurous cephalopod.

Based on the real-life escape of an octopus from the aquarium, this picture book is told from Inky'
laurel [the suspected bibliophile]
An absolutely adorable children's book recounting Inky the Octopus' great escape from the National Aquarium of New Zealand in 2016. With simple rhymes, easy words, and an utterly cute anthropomorphic protagonist, this book is sure to delight children and adults.

The back of the book includes a text-dense recounting of the actual escape with the humor of the original news articles. There are also miniature stories of other aquarium octopi being mischievous, and interesting factoids about octopi th
Ubah Khasimuddin
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it
The kids and I love this story of the escaping Octopus, especially since it is based on a true story; but as a mom who has read A LOT of children's books, I wish the story had been better written.
First the author goes with the terrible trope of rhyming, ugh! Next it would have been better if there was dialogue, which would have allowed the reader to see why Inky wants to go away, besides the terrible rhyme of wanting to be free and see the sea, or something. Inky could have been written with mu
Bookworm LLC
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cindy-bookshelf
Inky the Octopus is based on real events about an Octopus who was rescued and kept in a tank only to escape and disappear.
Super cute story and great illustrations. A must read for all little ones who are interested in sea life.
The end of this story is great because you can create your own adventure for Inky.
Elley Murray
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Adorable story about a captive octopus named Inky who escapes his tank because he wants to explore the sea. Told from Inky’s point of view in a rhyming scheme with good rhythm and flow to it. The illustrations are gorgeous and fun. I especially like at the end there are a few pages that talk about the real Inky the octopus, some other unique octopi, and octopus fun facts.
Katie
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
This book is an adorable story of an octopus that escapes his tank and makes it to the ocean. And the best part? It is based on a true story! This title begins as a picture book would, and following the story there are pages of interesting octopus facts and other true accounts of octopus escapes! Very cute illustrations and I liked the information at the end.
Amber Webb
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Inky the Octopus! This true story of Inky made my heart happy. Inky always wondered what else was out there. He knew he had been trapped in a tank and the ocean was calling him back. His story is lovely and one I want to share with many children. I also enjoyed the other stories of silly animals in captivity. Looking forward to April to share these stories with my class!
Bran Pendergrass
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-netgalley
I read this book with my son and he loved it! He thought it was funny that Inky escaped and left tentacle marks everywhere.

We did have a hard time reading it on my eReader app and the pictures were messed up on the kindle so I had a hard time following along.
Angela
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a cute book about a true story. At first I wasn't sure about the rhyme scheme, but it developed ok. I especially liked the facts at the end of the book which can help young readers understand the octopus as an animal and not just the character. Great illustrations too! ...more
Renee
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: boy-s-books
Thank you Sourcebooks Jabberwocky and Netgalley for allowing me to read an eARC of this book.
This book is such a fun story! Based on the real life escape of Inky the Octopus, it imagines what his journey was like. The illustrations are great fun, and my boys loved the story!
Amanda (PandaCat)
***I received a review copy from Edelweiss***

A cute and true story. I love how the author gives facts at the end. I will use this book in a STEAM storytime.
Nrithya
May 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, kids
This is a children’s book based on the real-life story of Inky the Octopus who escaped from the National Aquarium of New Zealand in 2016. Very good one where the child can learn both science and philosophy in a simple story.

Science: About how intelligent octopuses are, about various forms of aquatic life and aspects of aquariums.
Philosophy: The universal emotion of wanting to be free to explore life and the world in one’s own terms.

The book has an excellent appendix in the end with a lot of g
Shaye Miller
Oct 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
In cute rhyming text, the picture book shares the actual story of Inky's real-life aquatic escape! The back matter tells the story of Inky's escape, including details about other odd octopuses and an "Are You Squidding Me?!" page followed by a bibliography. For more children's literature, middle grade literature, and YA literature reviews, feel free to visit my personal blog at The Miller Memo! ...more
Kristin
Mar 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks, popsugar-2021
Cute children's book that tells the true story of Inky, an octopus in New Zealand who escaped from his tank at an aquarium and managed to find his way to a drain that led him back out into the open ocean, never to be heard from again. I'm a sucker (pun-intended) for books about octopi, and I thought the illustrations here were great. Can't wait to read this book to my future children in hopes they too fall in love with all things tentacled. ...more
Moonkiszt
Featured in grandma reads session.

Inky is an escape artist. . .the art in this picture book is large, bright and bold and my reading group loved the book. Their eyes were glued on the pages and the "ooohhh" when the reveal at the end about where Inky ends out was celebratory and very satisfied.

We are biased toward these eight-armed beings and were very happy for Inky's escape.

4 stars, all bon voyaging!
Melki
Aug 01, 2021 rated it liked it
Bored with his life in an aquarium, Inky yearns to break free and experience life in the ocean. Here's the story of how he manages to do just that. Based on the true story of a New Zealand octopus, the book features adorable artwork by David Leonard. I only with it hadn't been told in rhyme . . .

description

• Scaredy Squirrel
  • Goodnight Lab: A Scientific Parody
  • Niko Draws a Feeling
  • Hooray for You!: A Celebration of You-Ness
  • Nugget and Fang: Friends Forever--or Snack Time?
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Spooky
  • What If?: What makes you different makes you amazing!
  • Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend
  • Scaredy Squirrel at Night
  • The Dot
  • The Lemonade Hurricane: A Story of Mindfulness and Meditation
  • Eat Pete!
  • A Busy Creature's Day Eating!
  • Narwhalicorn and Jelly (Narwhal and Jelly, #7)
  • Hello, My Name Is... : How Adorabilis Got His Name