Start by marking “Inky the Octopus” as Want to Read:
Inky the Octopus

Inky the Octopus

Out of this tank, I must be free.
I must explore the open sea!

Inky the octopus is bored with aquarium life and wants to escape to the ocean! But just how can an octopus in a tank get to the open seas? Find out in Inky the Octopus, the only tale of the mischievous octopus to be officially endorsed by the National Aquarium of New Zealand.
Published April 3rd 2018 by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

To ask other readers questions about Inky the Octopus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inky the Octopus

Start your review of Inky the Octopus
Schizanthus Nerd
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Inky the octopus lived at the National Aquarium of New Zealand for two years before his great escape. Museum workers discovered mysterious prints on the floor one morning in 2016 and Inky was no longer hanging out with his tank mate Blotchy. Workers believe that after the lid on Inky’s tank wasn’t secured properly the night before Inky took the opportunity to escape through a drain pipe in the floor that led to the sea. Inky the Octopus is a sweet rhyming children’s book that tells this true sto ...more
debbicat
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love it. We need more children’s books like this. This is the story about a real life octopus who lived in the National Aquarium of New Zealand in Napier. While my copy was an ARC downloaded to my kindle, I could tell the illustrations were very well done. I think illustrations in children's books are extremely important.

The beginning of the story is about Inky, who was rescued and lived for quite a long time at the aquarium. Later, the reader gets to meet other octopuses where were
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Inky is an octopus living in an aquarium. He feels the call of the open sea, and wants to go free to see what is out there. He is able to sneak out one night when his tank is left open, just a bit, and squeeze through a drain out to the ocean. AS the story ends, you see him enjoying his new life in the sea.

This story is based on the real-life escape of an octopus from the New Zealand aquarium, and is told from Inky's point of view. This is like a real life Finding Dory with a happy ending. The i
Dee Dee G
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
First time I’ve heard of this. Based on a true story.
Lata
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
This cutely illustrated story told in amusing verse is about Inky, the octopus who escaped from an aquarium in New Zealand several years ago. Octopuses are endlessly fascinating, from their physical appearance, to their physiology, and to their various abilities and intelligence. And, as this fun book relates, they can be quite the enterprising escape artists.
J Aislynn d'Merricksson
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Through gorgeous artwork and charming poetry with a hint of rhyme, Inky the Octopus tells the story of Inky, a curious octopus resident at the National Aquarium of New Zealand. This clever creature escaped one night, when his tank lid had been accidentally left loose. It is believed that Inky escaped back to the sea. He had come to the aquarium after having been found injured, and it seems he longed to return home once recovered!

At the end of the book is a brief section recapping the true story
Elaine
Children’s stories that are told in rhyme
Are winners for me almost every time.
That this is also based on something real
Made it an even more amazing deal.

Inky is an octopus trapped in an aquarium who
Dreams of escaping to explore the oceans blue.
Told from Inky’s point of view
This great escape is based on something true.

Brilliant, child friendly illustrations in colour, too
Help bring the story to life for me and you.
A heart warming story for everyone to enjoy
Whatever your age - or if you’re a girl
Ryan
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you kids are fans of Finding Dory then they need this book. Like Sid, Inky just wants out of his tank. He wants to travel and go on adventures. This is based on the true story of Inky at the New Zealand Aquarium. The illustrations are fun, the rhymes and cadence perfect, and the story is fun. At the end the author includes facts about octopi, and my favorite part, other celebrity Octopus.
Jeimy
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous illustrations accompany this story in verse inspired by Inky the Octopus’s escape from the National Aquarium in New Zealand. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Pop Bop
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This Book Is A Stone Cold Riot

We snorkel a lot and observing an octopus is and has been our fondest desire. Maybe some day. Meanwhile we entertain the grandkids with our underwater photos and videos, trips to the Monterey Bay Aquarium, and lots of ocean storybooks and ocean adventure and fact books. There are some excellent whale storybooks for little ones, and some very good otter and pelican books. But, we've never found a really good octopus book. Until now.

This book scores high marks across
Suzanne
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-kid-lit
Inky is an incredibly curious octopus who feels the call of the open sea, even while living a pampered life with catered meals and companionship within the National Aquarium of New Zealand. Despite "three meals a day of lobster, shrimp, and squid," Inky longs for something more than life in a tank. "Out of this tank, I must break free. I hear the ocean calling me!" says the adventurous cephalopod.

Based on the real-life escape of an octopus from the aquarium, this picture book is told from Inky'
laurel [the suspected bibliophile]
An absolutely adorable children's book recounting Inky the Octopus' great escape from the National Aquarium of New Zealand in 2016. With simple rhymes, easy words, and an utterly cute anthropomorphic protagonist, this book is sure to delight children and adults.

The back of the book includes a text-dense recounting of the actual escape with the humor of the original news articles. There are also miniature stories of other aquarium octopi being mischievous, and interesting factoids about octopi th
Ubah Khasimuddin
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it
The kids and I love this story of the escaping Octopus, especially since it is based on a true story; but as a mom who has read A LOT of children's books, I wish the story had been better written.
First the author goes with the terrible trope of rhyming, ugh! Next it would have been better if there was dialogue, which would have allowed the reader to see why Inky wants to go away, besides the terrible rhyme of wanting to be free and see the sea, or something. Inky could have been written with mu
Bookworm LLC
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cindy-bookshelf
Inky the Octopus is based on real events about an Octopus who was rescued and kept in a tank only to escape and disappear.
Super cute story and great illustrations. A must read for all little ones who are interested in sea life.
The end of this story is great because you can create your own adventure for Inky.
Elley Murray
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Adorable story about a captive octopus named Inky who escapes his tank because he wants to explore the sea. Told from Inky’s point of view in a rhyming scheme with good rhythm and flow to it. The illustrations are gorgeous and fun. I especially like at the end there are a few pages that talk about the real Inky the octopus, some other unique octopi, and octopus fun facts.
Katie
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
This book is an adorable story of an octopus that escapes his tank and makes it to the ocean. And the best part? It is based on a true story! This title begins as a picture book would, and following the story there are pages of interesting octopus facts and other true accounts of octopus escapes! Very cute illustrations and I liked the information at the end.
Amber Webb
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Inky the Octopus! This true story of Inky made my heart happy. Inky always wondered what else was out there. He knew he had been trapped in a tank and the ocean was calling him back. His story is lovely and one I want to share with many children. I also enjoyed the other stories of silly animals in captivity. Looking forward to April to share these stories with my class!
Bran Pendergrass
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-netgalley
I read this book with my son and he loved it! He thought it was funny that Inky escaped and left tentacle marks everywhere.

We did have a hard time reading it on my eReader app and the pictures were messed up on the kindle so I had a hard time following along.
Angela
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a cute book about a true story. At first I wasn't sure about the rhyme scheme, but it developed ok. I especially liked the facts at the end of the book which can help young readers understand the octopus as an animal and not just the character. Great illustrations too!
Renee
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: boy-s-books
Thank you Sourcebooks Jabberwocky and Netgalley for allowing me to read an eARC of this book.
This book is such a fun story! Based on the real life escape of Inky the Octopus, it imagines what his journey was like. The illustrations are great fun, and my boys loved the story!
A.C. Paige
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
***I received a review copy from Edelweiss***

A cute and true story. I love how the author gives facts at the end. I will use this book in a STEAM storytime.
Shaye Miller
Oct 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
In cute rhyming text, the picture book shares the actual story of Inky's real-life aquatic escape! The back matter tells the story of Inky's escape, including details about other odd octopuses and an "Are You Squidding Me?!" page followed by a bibliography. For more children's literature, middle grade literature, and YA literature reviews, feel free to visit my personal blog at The Miller Memo! ...more
Moonkiszt
Featured in grandma reads session.

Inky is an escape artist. . .the art in this picture book is large, bright and bold and my reading group loved the book. Their eyes were glued on the pages and the "ooohhh" when the reveal at the end about where Inky ends out was celebratory and very satisfied.

We are biased toward these eight-armed beings and were very happy for Inky's escape.

4 stars, all bon voyaging!
BreAnna (Bre'sBooks)
Cute!
Safara
Nov 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Based on real events
Villain E
Jul 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The story wouldn't be that bad by itself, but the note in the back tells you that the story is wrong. Inky the Octopus was a real Octopus who was injured in the wild, brought to an aquarium to heal and then snuck out one night by squeezing through a drain. But the story in the picture book says that Inky lived like a king in the aquarium, but was curious about what lay beyond. He escapes into the sea and sees a world he's never seen before. The fact that this is comissioned by the aquarium and y ...more
Stacy Renee  (LazyDayLit)
This fun picture book features an illustrated version of a real octopus that actually escaped from the National Aquarium of New Zealand in 2016! Inky the Octopus shares his story with fun illustrations and prose!

Told from Inky's cloistered point of view, we experience the feeling of being cooped up in a tank all the time and how he longs for the wide-open ocean, which ultimately leads to his daring escape. But first, a trip through the aquarium!

The illustrations in this book are amazing! Each p
Elizabeth
Jul 31, 2018 added it
Recommended to Elizabeth by: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
Shelves: picturebooks
A fun story, told in rhyming verse, imagining the interiority of Inky the Octopus, who escaped from the National Aquarium of New Zealand (spoilers: he longs for freedom and to explore the unknown).

There's informational backmatter (about Inky, other, and octopi in general -- I love that that this last section opens with "Octopuses? Octopi? Ooctopodes? Pick your favorite---they're all right!"). Having just read Giant Squid I was surprised to learn how similar octopi and giant squid are -- in t
Psusan
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Octopi may become your favorite sea animal after reading Inky the Octopus by Erin Guendelsberger. Based on a true event with a real octopus, a cute story has been written. The family enjoyed seeing the world and the aquarium home through the eyes of Inky.

Haven’t we all longed for freedom at one time or another? Inky simply follows through with that dream when he spots an opportunity. His cleverness and determination certainly come through in the rhyming text as well as the illustrations. The il
Susan
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
First of all, the illustrations by David Leonard were adorable. Beautiful colors with just the perfect facial expressions on all the animals, especially on our hero Inky. The writing itself was just okay. To be honest, I didn't really like how the lines rhymed. It felt a little cheesy and didn't seem to fit for this particular story, which was about a daring, nonconforming octopus breaking free from its tank. However, I did really appreciate the additional info at the end detailing how the real ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Scarf for Keiko
  • You Can Read
  • Schnitzel: A Cautionary Tale for Lazy Louts
  • Niko Draws a Feeling
  • What If?: What Makes You Different Makes You Amazing!
  • Holy Mole!: A Folktale from Mexico
  • I lost something
  • The Princess and the Pit Stop
  • Water Can Be...
  • Almost to Freedom
  • Rot, the Cutest in the World!

News & Interviews