Start by marking “Expository Exultation: Christian Preaching as Worship” as Want to Read:
Expository Exultation: Christian Preaching as Worship

Expository Exultation: Christian Preaching as Worship

"God has appointed preaching in worship as one great means of accomplishing his ultimate goal in the world." --John Piper

John Piper makes a compelling claim in these pages about the purpose of preaching: it is intended not merely as an explanation of the text but also as a means of awakening worship by being worship in and of itself. Christian preaching is a God-appointed
Published April 30th 2018 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about Expository Exultation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Expository Exultation

Douglas Wilson
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simply stellar.
Ryan Hawkins
Oh how I wish this 300 page book was 500 pages or even 1000 pages! It was truly a joy to read, filled with gold upon gold.

I knew it would be good, and it didn’t disappoint. But as I read it Piper often surprised me a lot with information I’d never heard, especially from him (like his brilliant defense of why it is beautifully fitting for us to worship God regularly, and then how preaching fits into it). And then throughout the book, he connect texts I’ve never connected.

As for a review, I intent
Daniel Souza
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was phenomenal. And for the stage of ministry I find myself, Part 6 was exactly what I needed. There is so much being said these days about Christ-centered (or Gospel-centered) preaching or "making a beeline to the cross" or what it means to know nothing but "Christ crucified" in preaching. But most of the approaches I have read about, or even witnessed, have seemed like nothing but a sermon on atonement attached to the particular text being preached.

Piper is so helpful in this regard. For
Shihong
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a slow cook. Pastor John will methodically take your through from start to finish what preaching is and the purpose behind it and show you from Scripture the challenges and joys of preaching. I look forward to coming it back to it again and again to be refreshed and reminded.
Rafael Salazar
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well, I'm biased because I'm a huge fan of everything he writes, but this one is informing and heart-warming. What a privilege it is to worship God in preaching.
Tom Marshall
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
John Piper’s *Expository Exultation: Christian Preaching as Worship* is a large meal and must be read slowly to be properly appreciated and digested. This is essentially John Piper’s collected experience on preaching, but it doesn’t focus on technique. It is the third book in a kind of trilogy. The first book, *Peculiar Glory,* focuses on knowing that God’s Word is completely true. The second book, *Reading the Bible Supernaturally,* focuses on reading the Bible with the goal of worshipping God. ...more
Bob
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Summary: Contends that the purpose of preaching is expository exultation; that preaching is integral to worship in the preacher's work of making clear and exulting over the text of scripture as it reveals the glories of God.

This is one John Piper book that I can unequivocally endorse. While I might differ with him in other matters, I found myself saying "Amen" again and again as I read this book. The reason for this is that he recovers and articulates as well as anyone since Martyn Lloyd Jones a
Becky
First sentence: This is a book about preaching in worship.

In the introduction, John Piper writes:
"This book is an organic outgrowth of two previous books. Together they form a kind of trilogy. The first volume, A Peculiar Glory (2016), focuses on how we can know that the Bible is God’s word and is completely true. The second volume, Reading the Bible Supernaturally (2017), focuses on how to read the Bible—specifically, how to read it in the pursuit of its own ultimate goal that God be worshiped
E
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book. One of Piper's alltime best--and that's saying something. A powerful plea for Christ-centered, textual-based sermons. He begins by discussing the essence of worship, and why preaching is a necessary component of such worship. He refers to the Spirit's role in making a sermon effective, and then spends a good deal of time looking at the preacher's responsibility.

This was the highpoint of the book, in my view. He calls it "rigorous attention to the text." There is no substitute for car
David Steele
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: preaching, calvinism
Expository Exaltation by John Piper is the final installment of a three-part series. Piper launched the series with A Peculiar Glory, which addressed the truthfulness of Scripture. Reading the Bible Supernaturally focussed on reading the Bible for the ultimate purpose of worshipping God. Expository Exaltation not only completes the trilogy – it satisfies the thirst of preachers around the world who have eagerly anticipated a new book on preaching by Dr. Piper:

“This God-glorifying, Christ-exaltin
Bob
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Retired pastor John Piper looks back over a lifetime of preaching to present principles for proclaiming God’s truth. His aim is “to show a God so satisfying that joy would unleash authentic love.” His argument is that preaching is an act of worship and serves worship, by defining worship as “knowing and treasuring and showing the supreme worth and beauty of God.” God is the focus of sermons, and is glorified in the act of preaching. The preacher feeds faith, helping people see the realities of t ...more
Mitch Bedzyk
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book, as well as the other two in the trilogy, is Piper at his finest. After 40+ years of preaching and teaching, this trilogy on Scripture and preaching shows what his passion is and what his legacy will be.

I love how clearly he writes. He asks guiding questions, provides solid biblical evidence (sometimes 2-3 pages at a time!), and makes sure the reader is following along by constantly, but not excessively, recapping his arguments.

His section on making a beeline “from the cross” rather
Michael Schmid
Similar to the other two books in John Piper's trilogy of books about the Bible, I also found this one to address some great and helpful truths, but none of these will join the list of my favourite books by John Piper (e.g. Desiring God, When I Don't Desire God, Don't Waste Your Life, The Pleasures of God...). Much of the material in this book is addressed by Piper in some of his other books or sermons. Nevertheless this book does very well to address the importance of exulting in God through pr ...more
Bobby Oliveri
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In a way only Piper can deliver, this is both a principled and practical resource for those seeking to understand the higher call of preaching. It’s profound, yet attainable, and illuminates the parts of preaching that are difficult to express. It is an extremely helpful treatment on a variety of subjects, from biblical theology to Christian living. It’s a longer read, but by no means exhaustive. Highly recommended to all who are serious not only about preaching, but delighting in the glories of ...more
Nay Denise
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
Received a copy for review from the publisher

This is an inspiring book to read for all who hole a position in church either as a minister, evangelist, preacher and so forth. This book really dives deep into preaching and how it should be. It gives biblically proof and shows how though the Word is to be preached and related to the people and the world, it should center on God. This books helps you to refocus on God. I truly recommend this for all to read.
Nay Denise
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
mphumleli
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the greatest book I have ever read about preaching.It has really impacted my life and will revert back to it time and again to remind myself about the seriousness of preaching.

Rating 5 stars

It really helped me to labour in God's word to seek to display God's glory in every text of scripture.
I will really recommend this book for any preacher or Pastor who is serious about God's word.
Barry Oakes
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Listened to the audio book. Piper's focus is on the big picture of entering into and opening up to the congregation the glory of God in the act of preaching, and there is much that is helpful and thought provoking here. I want to go back to it to read a print copy, which I think would be more profitable. Recommended.
Justin Dillehay
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For breadth of content and depth of argument, this is one of Piper's finest books (and I've read more than twenty). It makes me want to preach more than ever, though it also makes me question whether I've ever truly preached at all. If you've profited greatly from Piper's preaching and want to know what he was doing that made it so effective, it's all here in this culminating work.
Cindy
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, finished
What or who do you exalt when sharing the Word of God to others? Where are your thoughts and feelings, when reading the Word? What do you do with what the Word is telling you? These questions and more are answered clearly by scripture.
Jeff
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, but I found it to be a bit repetitive - as Piper tends to be. I still liked it and would recommend it to anyone who is called to preach or pastor. If you're graduating from seminary or Bible college, check it out. Worth every penny.
Matthew
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a treasure this book is! Showing that preaching is ultimately about the glory of God, Piper infuses his book and his listeners with a hope and joy that preaching will accomplish its means by the Spirit.
Nick Jones
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent.
Mark Lickliter
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Superb! Must reading for every pastor!
Travis Minogue
May 29, 2018
Will
Oct 02, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
John Piper is founder and teacher of desiringGod.org and chancellor of Bethlehem College & Seminary. For 33 years, he served as senior pastor at Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota.

He grew up in Greenville, South Carolina, and studied at Wheaton College, Fuller Theological Seminary (B.D.), and the University of Munich (D.theol.). For six years, he taught Biblical Studies at Bethe
“The Christian preacher has nothing to hide. The Devil is in the business of hiding. The preacher reveals. The Devil obscures. The preacher clarifies. The Devil dulls the mind and heart. The preacher shines and burns. He is ashamed of nothing in his message. And this has everything to do with logic and right reason.” 0 likes