Start by marking “The Gender Games” as Want to Read:
The Gender Games

The Gender Games

Why we are all being messed up by gender, and what we can do about it.

Published February 8th 2018 by Two Roads (first published June 1st 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Gender Games, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gender Games

Start your review of The Gender Games
Simon
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Part memoir and part social study and commentary Juno Dawson's The Gender Games is a fantastic, engaging and thought inducing look at gender, sex, sexuality and all the things in between that cause so much kerfuffle. I found it brilliantly direct, it made me understand something's I'd been puzzled about and left me feeling empowered as a person. I want it to do that for anyone who reads it. And you should read it, whatever you gender, sex or sexuality.
Hannah
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In short: I loved every second of this. I adored the warmth, the humour, the pop culture reference, and how very very positive this was. I listened to the book as read by the author and I can only recommend this. Juno Dawson brings an absolute wonderful joy to this memoir that I just really needed.

Compared to other memoirs I read in my month of reading mostly memoirs, this was lighthearted and fun. This does not mean that Juno Dawson does not have a lot to say, which she does, brilliantly so. Sh
Kaitlin
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction-2018
This is a book I picked up on audiobook after hearing my friend Lauren talk about it. I was quite keen to find out more about Trans issues and being Trans, and I thought this sounded like it would be a great start point. Not only this, but the audiobook is actually narrated by the author herself and I love when the author narrates their own story as I think it really brings out the emotion.

Juno's story is probably not too dissimilar from many other UK-based trans people. I really liked seeing t
Keeleigh
Let me be clear, I don't think this is a badly written book.

I think this is one of those "It's not you, it's me." situations.

Juno Dawson's approach to this topic is funny and approachable and I find myself agreeing with her a lot.

I just really didn't gel with the overly familiar tone, the chatty, matey thing. I also felt a bit like she was preaching to the converted in a lot of cases and if I'm reading nonfiction it's because I'm trying to learn something new.

I think this book is perfect for
Lia
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was really good but there were some minor things that bothered me so I don't want to give it 5 stars. I would definitely recommend this if you are interested in reading about feminism from a different perspective or am interested in trans issues.
Shelly
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourite-books
Well I'm going to have to go for a second go, but YES, this was brilliant!!!

I listened to the audiobook (also read by Juno Dawson) who's voice is compelling.

It's wonderful, thought provoking and will leave you thinking for days.
I was touched by the honesty and no bullshit, take of Juno mind.
The audiobook is a delight as Juno is a pleasure to listen to and has a very emotive voice.
I giggled and talked to the audiobook out lout, it felt interactive. Like a good sit down and chin wag with a mate a
Sophie
This book was amazing! A great mix of Juno's experience transitioning from man to woman and her thoughts on gender issues and feminism. I loved that it was funny and sarcastic at times, but also that she let her emotion and anger shine through when talking about infuriating subject and behaviours. I didn't know anything about the trans culture (and still don't know much to be honest), but this book was eye-opening and a great and quick read.
Noina
This book is great ! Part memoir, part social commentary, it makes a lot of good points and is—of course—as inclusive as may be. Juno Dawson is very aware of her relatively privileged situation as a white and wealthy trans woman, and doesn't "talk for all trans women".
It made me think about a lot of aspects I had never thought about prior to listening to this—for example, how we shouldn't talk about a fetus's or child's gender, because it is impossible to know until the child grows up a
Moonbook
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy it
Joy Finlayson
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my books of the year. So important, inspirational and insightful!
Ireene
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It’s such a fun read. Wasn’t expecting it as the subject is serious, but it just oozes positivity. Definitely a must read!
Louise
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, lgtbq
Juno made some really interesting points and this was thought provoking.
Michael mister.is.me
An interesting Read.

This book delivers a very good part-chatty memoir and part-introduction to gender and trans issues within society. Throughout the book it really made me think and want to go and read further into academic gender studies and look into some of social and political issues contemporary society raised within Dawson's book.
Dabarai
I enjoyed the book a lot, but there were instances when I disagreed with the author, especially parts about magazine analysis motherhood. Also, I wish I'd understand all references to the pop culture or people mentioned.. In this respect I'm so clueless!
Liv
I really enjoyed this book.
I have only recently stumbled across Juno Dawson as an author as I heard on a podcast about her new book Meat Market which is a book I intend to read.
However, I knew nothing about Juno at this point and only when stumbling across this book (as I was very intrigued by the title), did I find out that Juno was a trans woman.
I think she offers lots of interesting observations, arguments and particularly on the points of gender, childhood and the way as a society we enga
Alexander Fynn
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fave-books
Why we are all being messed up by gender, and what we can do about it. 'It's a boy!' or 'It's a girl!' are the first words almost all of us hear when we enter the world. Before our names, before we have likes and dislikes - before we, or anyone else, has any idea who we are. And two years ago, as Juno Dawson went to tell her mother she was (and actually, always had been) a woman, she started to realise just how wrong we've been getting it.

Gender isn't just screwing over trans people, it's messin
Beatrizmallow
Fun, relatable, real, sad, informative and necessary.
Teresa
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Heather
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audibook
This was a fascinating memoir/discussion on gender brilliantly written and read by Juno Dawson. This has really made me think about how I view gender, in particular childhood stereotypes. I like to think of myself as a feminist but I think I could do a lot more to be more inclusive in my feminism and after reading this I am going to change. This book was funny, poignant and really made me think
Jas
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and totally agreed with everything Juno Dawson wrote. I liked how she described gender as a bogeyman and all of her other ideas. Everyone should read this book!
Clare Holman-Hobbs
Juno Dawson could punch me in the face and I'd say thank you.
Kate Henderson
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So I read this book in the summer of 2017 but I decided to listen to the audio book. Loved this book even more after listen to Juno read her book via audible. Loved it!! Need more books like this!!!!!
Daisy
"I dare to dream of a world where people can dress, speak and behave how they want, free from mockery, derision, judgement, harassment and danger. This is what I want. Who’s with me?"

What an insightful read. In this book, Dawson explores the experience of being a "woman" and being a "man" in our society, drawing on memories of her own life, and also examining information from culture, statistics and other people's stories. All of this is told through a narrative which I think is ref
Rachel Jones
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review can be found at http://racheyragdoll.blogspot.co.uk/2...

When it was announced that Juno would be releasing a non fiction book focusing on gender, I knew I had to read it! I've probably mentioned this a hundred times before, but I adore Juno's YA fiction books. Although I was initially interested in the topic of this new book that seemed a lot more adulty than any of her other books, I am not a big reader of non fiction. My recent non fiction reads have been by famous youtubers steppi
Callum McLaughlin
Considering that by the end of chapter one alone, there had already been references to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Sleeping Beauty, Bridget Jones, Strictly Come Dancing, Labyrinth and Carrie, I knew Juno Dawson's was a voice full of warmth and humour that would make the daunting task of dismantling gender myths an accessible and even fun experience.

There were so many interesting areas covered in here, and I had so many lightbulb moments, where Dawson managed to articulate my own thoughts precisely
Stefania
Juno Dawson is a great non-fiction writer! I'm not into YA and have not read any of her novels, but I simply LOVED The Gender Games! I chose the audiobook as my Audible book of the month (and this is a great honour since I get just one per month) which was narrated by Juno herself, and I wasn't disappointed. She is so fun, clever and witty, and this is probably the best audiobook I have read/listened to. She didn't just read her book, it was like listening to a podcast, or even better chatting w ...more
Kerry
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 10, library, 2018
My son was asking some questions about transgender people that I was unable to answer. Just as I was thinking about where I might find him some resources, I saw this book highly recommended on a booktube video. Thinking it might be a good place to start, I requested it from the library. And when it arrived, I started reading it myself.

This is a personal story. This is Juno's story - and her story so far. She quickly points out that she can only tell her story and no-one else's. She is candid and
Trish
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am giving this a four star rating because I loved and agreed with almost all the messages she was putting across.

The more people who come forward and speak about LGBQT+, POC, feminism (both male and female), FGM, inequality on all levels is fantastic.

We follow Juno's story from birth to her ongoing transition now. I teared up in certain parts; the letter and response from her Dad, the introduction of her name (I wanted to hug her), etc. This is a very thought provoking memoir and I'd encoura
Dawn
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A thought-provoking part memoir/part review of what it is to be a "woman" vs. what it is to be a "man" - with a strong, well-reasoned, argument that the whole concept of gender is essentially nonsense and sticking to rigid ideas about male and female gender doesn't benefit anyone (least of all those who don't feel they fit into any binary category).

I don't think this book is going to change any minds to be honest. If you think a man's a man and that's it, then you'll probably always think that (
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Can Everyone Please Calm Down?: Mae Martin's Guide to 21st Century Sexuality
  • Turning the Tide on Plastic: How Humanity (And You) Can Make Our Globe Clean Again
  • Sex Power Money
  • The Guilty Feminist: From Our Noble Goals to Our Worst Hypocrisies
  • A Jigsaw of Fire and Stars
  • Queer Intentions: A (Personal) Journey Through LGBTQ + Culture
Previously wrote under the name James Dawson

Queen of Teen 2014 Juno Dawson is the multi award-winning author of six novels for young adults. In 2016, she authored the best-selling World Book Day title: SPOT THE DIFFERENCE.

Her next novel is the beautiful and emotive MARGOT & ME (Jan 2017) which will be followed by her adult debut, the memoir THE GENDER GAMES (Jul 17).

Juno also wrote the bestsellin