Start by marking “The Year's Best Science Fiction: Thirty-Fifth Annual Collection” as Want to Read:
The Year's Best Science Fiction: Thirty-Fifth Annual Collection

The Year's Best Science Fiction: Thirty-Fifth Annual Collection

(The Universe of Xuya #The Dragon That Flew Out of the)

The multiple Locus Award-winning annual collection of the year's best science fiction stories.

In the new millennium, what secrets lay beyond the far reaches of the universe? What mysteries belie the truths we once held to be self-evident? The world of science fiction has long been a porthole into the realities of tomorrow, blurring the line between life and art. Now, in Th
Published July 3rd 2018 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about The Year's Best Science Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year's Best Science Fiction

Start your review of The Year's Best Science Fiction: Thirty-Fifth Annual Collection
Claudia
I read only "Night Passage" by Alastair Reynolds and the rating is solely for this story: 4/5*

Set in Revelation Space universe, we follow the struggle of a Demarchist captain in a ship which is almost hijacked by a few Conjoiners. There is a mutiny, a Shroud encounter (could be the one from Rev Space trilogy or could be other), a last minute escape and of course, a twist.

I missed the universe and it was great being there again.
Karl

114 "WINTER TIMESHARE" by Ray Nayler
127 - "DEAR SARAH" by Nancy Kress
136 - "NIGHT PASSAGE" by Alastair Reynold
Peter Tillman
Hard to believe Dozois is gone 😢, and this will be his last annual year’s best. As always, required reading for short-SF fans, and the best twenty bucks you’ll spend on a book this year. You won’t find any poorly-written stories here, and you won’t like them all. Likely, you will like a different set than me. But enough great and near-great stories to keep you reading, and to bring you back for future re-reads. For me, 4 stars overall.

I wonder if Dozois had settled on his final story order befor
pax
What a great collection! And I am not just saying it because it's the last of Year's Best Science Fiction collections, at least by Dozois :(
Not all the individual stories (individual comments below) are great, at least one is downright awful, but the ensemble of them is such a great insight into what science fiction can do today: so much experimentation, a bit of solar punk, extrapolations/warnings, (a few) international authors, quietly addressed question of gender and gender assumptions and ex
Florin Constantinescu
2016 was a pretty good year for short fiction. 2017... not so. (Judging for now solely on Dozois' massive anthology.) The trend of fewer novellas and fewer longer novelettes continues, with short stories making up the bulk of it.
Another observation that can be made is the large number of authors not published before. Perhaps the most important observation to make though is the dismal quality of almost half the stories here. Yea, there are five standouts, more than in some other editions (the Tur
Shannon Kitchens
Aug 04, 2018 is currently reading it
Shelves: short-story
"The Moon is Not a Battlefield" by Indrapramit Das - 3 Stars - DNF - Veteran is interviewed about the "conflict on the moon." This is a neat little space military piece with a lovely Indian flavor. However, it's ultimately not my cup of tea.

"My English Name" by R. S. Benedict - 4.5 Stars - A Inhuman spends a few years in China in the near future and falls in love. Benedict's style has a interesting rhythm too it in this neat LGBT piece with an unexpected literary reference. (view spoiler)
Johan Haneveld
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
8+ It's always hard to review a short story collection, as within the field of science fiction there are a lot of different forms of storytelling and influences and styles. There's near future SF and far future SF, but also SF that tries to be literary in its approach, and SF that hews closer to scientific speculation, or adventure. There's alternative history, soft SF and almost incomprehensible SF. A bit for everyone then. And the power of Dozois as an editor is that he manages to compile a 'T ...more
Rachel
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf
I'm so sad that this is Gardner Dozois's last best-of anthology. I like his essays at the beginning with the long lists of books to add to my already-too-long to-read list.

The last story, "Nexus," by Michael Flynn, was a hoot. He had six characters, each with a different science fiction trope--time traveler, alien, etc., and blended them into one coherent narrative. An excellent note to end the book on.
Spike Gomes
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's going to be really difficult to write a review of what's going to be the last volume of this series, something that's been a part of my life since I found the first volume in high school 25 years ago. Gardner Dozois has probably been one of the primary shapers of my tastes in speculative fiction. Overall, I'm going to rate the series and his skills as an editor six stars out of five.

This particular entry, however, is a bit on the weak side, which I am chalking up to his health over the las
Alison C
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For the past 35 years, I have looked forward to July because of the publication of this enormous tome, in my opinion the very best source for science fiction stories and novellas that were published in the previous year. Each year the stories come from more and more unfamiliar sources, too, with the advent of many e-magazines that I don’t get, which means that I find new authors every time. As with any anthology, each reader will like different stories, but this year I found stories from Michael ...more
Alexandra
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Note to myself - don't read two Sci-fi anthologies in less than six months. I loved the 34th collection, but this one felt a bit repetitive and I got bored more than once.
Anyway, here is my top 5 in no particular order
- Zen and the art of starship maintenance
- A series of steaks
- Nexus (this one is so kitsch that I wish I wrote it myself)
- Vanguard 2.0
- We who live in the heart

What's interesting in this one is that lots of stories were exploring more than one sci-fi sub genre. Not just AI, but A
Ben Lund
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
These are big books. And as such, the degree of quality, complexity and enjoyment received by any one person will vary. That being said, I found myself enjoying the stories more often then not, which is not always the case with these kinds of collections. I also found it easier to read 1 or 2 stories at a time, in between other books that I was reading, kind of a break between other multi-volume stories I am currently reading. Breaking it down that way is certainly easier then trying to read 38 ...more
David
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
An excellent collection, as always. Mr. Dozois will be missed. The best of the collection was the last, Nexus by Michael Flynn, which managed to pack as many tropes into one novella as I believe possible.
Alan
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent collection with a little something for everyone. Unfortunately this is the last of the series edited by the late Gardner Dozois. I'm not going to recommend any one story. Just read them all at your leisure.
John Devlin
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it
A good yearly annual. Avoided some problems of being too much about today that other years have seemed to be slipping into.
Thomas
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't enjoy it as much as I usually do - - but did really love "Pan-Humanism: Hope and Pragmatics", by Jessica Barber and Sara Saab. I also quite enjoyed "The Martian Job" by Jaine Fenn.
RONALD EVANS
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent collection from Gardner Dozois, who always picks the best from a variety of sub-genres!
Glenn
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is usually a great anthology. I prefer hard sci fi and that's what I get here. This year has some really notable stories, but one really stood out, the novella "Nexus" by Michael Flynn.
Gary Bunker
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dozois' final entry in his decades-long anthology is just as fantastic (in every meaning) as his previous iterations. Great stuff, from great authors. Mr. Dozois will be a hard editor to replace.
Deborah Sowery-Quinn
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Did I love every story in this collection? No. But for the most part it was a very well-written,diverse & entertaining collection. ...more
Dale H
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This is a great volume of short stories with just a couple of duds, the biggest dud being the last one - "Nexus" by Michael Flynn. It's a shame to end such a nice collection with a mess like that.
Bethany Joy
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good collection of short stories, and successfully expanded by to read list!
Jim
Apr 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's rich parade of thirty-eight remarkably thought-provoking stories. I'm once again dazzled by what great writing there is out there.
Ken
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Started reading what's available online.

-zen and the art of ......by TOBIAS S. BUCKELL, don't really follow the story but enjoyed it very much,4*
- something about "waiting for the end ...at ...'s diner" (sorry. Too lazy to look up): poignant with good humor, 5*.
- meat substitute steak as a business, 3*.
-The Last Boat-Builder in Ballyvoloon, 4*.
Rogue
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviews
Most of these were nice stories but none of them really wowed me. I'm not always comfortable writing a review for a single novel so I'm going to be brief concerning an entire anthology of short stories rather than going over each story individually. Some of these stories didn't even feel like science fiction other than in setting and one of them in particular felt more like a vague contemporary what-if than it did true science fiction.

Nevertheless, it felt good to read some science fiction that
Jill Carroll
The Martian Job - Fenn - 5* - heist on Mars, fun with great ending
Mines - Arnason - 3* - ex soldier and rat companion clear mines on new earth
My English Name - Benedict - 4* - alien wearing blonde Brit skin teaches English in China
Paul Brown
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gardner Dozois's death is a huge loss to the short story community. After finishing this book, I'll have read thirty-four out of thirty-five of these "best of year" books and, without exception, I've enjoyed every one. I've always felt like he was an excellent judge of quality stories, and I've read a ton of great stories that I would not otherwise have ever noticed.

/Update/
Sad to see this series go. I'm not sure if it will be resumed with another editor or not, but it kept me entertained for ab
batya7
Nov 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Same comments as previous year's collection:

Many of the stories are from Asimov's and fantasy-oriented collections. I prefer hard science fiction, moreso the type contained in Analog, so I only gave 3 stars. Personal preference. Big heavy read.
Albert Dunberg
Pan-Humanism: Hop
Allie
Dec 31, 2018 added it
Shelves: sci-fi-book-club
I only read some of these because there are a massive amount of stories in this collection, but what I read I liked! See below for ratings

"My English Name"- 3 stars
"The History of the Invasion Told in 5 Dogs"- 5 stars
"A Series of Steaks"- 5 stars
"Nexus"- 4 stars

• The Expert System's Brother
  • The Cruel Stars (The Cruel Stars, #1)
  • Expiration Date (Fault Lines, #2)
  • Dead Land (V.I. Warshawski, #20)
  • Silver (Inverted Frontier #2)
  • The Warship (Rise of the Jain #2)
  • The Year’s Best Science Fiction & Fantasy, 2018 Edition
  • Infinity's End
  • Terran Tomorrow (Yesterday's Kin Trilogy, #3)
  • Permafrost
  • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
  • Human Croquet
  • The Forbidden Stars
  • The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year: Volume Twelve
  • The Year’s Best Science Fiction & Fantasy, 2019 Edition (The Year’s Best Science Fiction and Fantasy Book 11)
  • Axiomatic
  • City of the Saints
  • Majestrum (Henghis Hapthorn #1)
Gardner Raymond Dozois was an American science fiction author and editor. He was editor of Asimov's Science Fiction magazine from 1984 to 2004. He won multiple Hugo and Nebula awards, both as an editor and a writer of short fiction.
Wikipedia entry: Gardner Dozois

The Universe of Xuya (1 - 10 of 44 books)
  • Of Wars, and Memories, and Starlight
  • The Jaguar House, in Shadow
  • Asimov's Science Fiction, July 2010 (Asimov's Science Fiction, #414)
  • Space and Time, Summer 2010
  • The Lost Xuyan Bride
  • Interzone 213, December 2007 (Interzone, #213)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Sixth Annual Collection