Start by marking “Rescued (Andy Carpenter, #17)” as Want to Read:
Rescued (Andy Carpenter, #17)

Rescued

(Andy Carpenter #17)

In Rescued, David Rosenfelt again delights his readers with the charm and wit they've come to expect. Even the most fervent fans of the sardonic Andy Carpenter and his team will be enthralled by this latest case, where the stakes have never been higher.

Defense lawyer Andy Carpenter is reluctant to take on any more cases. He'd much rather spend his time working fIn
Published July 17th 2018 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Rescued, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rescued

Start your review of Rescued (Andy Carpenter, #17)
Jaline
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-completed
Andy is in trouble with this case. It appeared to be a straightforward murder, and all the evidence supports that. However, his client is Dave Kramer, who used to be in a relationship with Andy’s wife, Laurie. Andy is doing what he does: engages his team of geriatric hackers under the guidance of his accountant, who can also get information that no-one else is able to. Andy is the one who tells them where to look and does his best to put the pieces together. However, this time he’s not even sure ...more
Liz
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley

I needed this book! I’ve had a bad run of several mediocre books. I needed fun! And Andy Carpenter always delivers. These books just possess a sardonic wit that I really enjoy.

What should be a simple case of self defense goes awry when a key piece of evidence is missing. Of course nothing is ever simple in an Andy Carpenter book and this one is no exception. There are all sorts of theories as to what might have taken place, but is any of what they find going to be considered admissible?

I have
Sandy
Everyone’s favourite lawyer/smartass Andy Carpenter is happily avoiding his career when he gets 2 phone calls. First, it seems there’s a truck containing 70 dogs & 1 dead driver parked at a rest stop. Second, get home now.

Andy arrives home to find his wife chatting with Dave Kramer. Or as Andy thinks of him, “Laurie’s-tall-dark-and-handsome-ex-fiance” Dave Kramer. And he has quite a story to tell. Yes, he was in the truck & yes, he killed the driver. But he swears it was self
Carol
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
RESCUED......Its a Winner!

If your an animal lover, you'll love David Rosenfelt's Andy Carpenter series too for there is nothing Andy hates worse in the world than "animals being hurt, injured or abused."

Oh, and Willie, "If there is a human identified with abusing a dog, and Willie is in proximity of that human, it can get very ugly, very quickly." Willie is a past death row client of Andy's....conviction overturned....who now works for him at his Tara Dog Rescue Foundation. His expertise in karate....that's a bonus.

Backbonus.

abused."

Brenda
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a typical Andy Carpenter book. All the familiar characters are mentioned, and there are lots of dogs. Andy was more mellow and relaxed than usual, but the attitude was still there. His client was Laurie's old boyfriend, who was charged with murder, but Andy's cases are never that simple. This one evolved into something larger, and I learned a couple of things about the stock market. I always like the courtroom action in these books; it’s never dull or boring.
Liz
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I read an Andy Carpenter book, I know I’m good hands. This week we had to say goodbye to Murphy, our 12-year old Newfoundland dog. There is no other book that I could have read while simply trying to get from one day to the next, adjusting to this new life without him.

Rescued is an enjoyable and well-paced addition to the series. Rosenfelt is an author who infuses his stories with humor and light-heartedness, and most importantly, his unabashed love of canine companions.

A gentle read fo/>
LJ
First Sentence: It wasn't the presence of the tractor trailer that caused John Paxos to take notice.

Attorney Andy Carpenter keeps trying to retire but when his wife's ex-boyfriend, ex-cop and ex-private investigator Dave Kramer, is accused of murder, he has no choice but to agree to defend him. It won't be easy since Kramer admits to having killed the victim. But with no witnesses, other than a truck trailer full of dogs, and no second weapon, how you do prove it was self-defense.

D
Val
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, 2019, crime, dogs, humor
I took a break from the Andy Carpenter series and now I'm wondering why I did! I loved Rescued and found myself laughing more (and rolling my eyes less than usual) as I read it. Rescued is an entertaining mystery that takes some surprising twists and turns as Andy sets out to clear Laurie's old boyfriend, who has been charged with murder. Andy and his crew ooze personality, as always. Although I had figured out who probably was the bad guy, I was still surprised by parts of the ending.
Jim
Another fun entry in the series, but pretty much the same. Fun, a cozy mystery well narrated by Grover Gardner. The book is very self-contained, so give it a shot if you want something that has no other redeeming qualities than being an enjoyable, relaxing read.
Cheryl
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have not read many books in this series. In fact, I turned my one friend into a true fan of this author's. She has raved about his series and author for quite a while now. So, I finally decided to jump in and read this book. It was like I had been a reader for years. Instantly, I connected with Andy, his wife, Laurie, and the rest of the characters. It is easy to see why Andy is so successful as an attorney. He is smart, has good instincts, but he is also very personable.

Mr. Rosenfelt writes
Jandblock
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another great addition to a series that is totally fun and for a lawyer doesn't spend too much time in court and on legal proceedings. As always, the same great characters and lots of witty banter and an inexplicable crime. I look forward to every book that Rosenfelt writes in this series, wish that he could write faster.
Lisa Denton
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, 2018
July 17 update: This book is now available!

Every book in the Andy Carpenter series by David Rosenfelt is a prize. Rescued is the latest book in this series. You can read the book by itself (rather than as part of the series), and I guarantee it will make you want to grab all the other books in the series as well!

Andy Carpenter is a sarcastic, witty, dog-loving defense attorney, who only takes on clients he knows are innocent … until now! Dave Kramer is accused of murderin
Hobart
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
★ ★ ★ 1/2 (rounded up)
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---
At an early age, Andy Carpenter discovered that he couldn't hit a curve-ball and therefore had to give up on his dreams of playing in the majors and fall back to following in his father's footsteps and becoming a lawyer. His father, a lifelong prosecuting attorney, probably wished for something else, but for the many people that he's defended in court, they wouldn't have it another way.

This is the seventeenth/>This
Tracy
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rescued (Andy Carpenter, #17) revolves around a semi-truckload of rescue dogs involved in a serious crime. Needless to say, it can be assumed canine worshipping Andy was gonna go to any lengths to get to the bottom of this mystery.

He ends up representing his wife's (Lori) ex-boyfriend who is accused of murdering someone on the canine filled rig. What ensues is in classic Carpenter form, as he sets his team on a variety of sleuth tasks in the quest to hunt down clues, suspects, and information,
Judy Crudele
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
3 1/2 stars. Some of Andy Carpenter's sarcastic comments are wearing thin. Although I liked the book, there was a big leap to a conclusion at the end. I didn't feel that it was explained how Andy figured it out, even though the reader had the facts.
RO G'ma
Rescued is the seventeenth book in David Rosenfelt’s Andy Carpenter Mystery series. Sufficient background information is provided to allow this great book to be read as a standalone. This is a cozy, with a humorous hero, who has a happy home life with his human and canine family. There is some adult language in this book, but no graphic violence or adult situations. I enjoy this author’s writing style and witty dialog. Mr. Rosenfelt has written a fast paced, well thought out, interesting and com ...more
Joey
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Unfortunately, I finished it. Now I have to wait for the next one. Ugh!
Loved it, though. Wonderful characters in the series, they were all there. Sometimes I wonder how he comes up with these plots. Definitely keep you on your toes as you read. Don't even try to figure out what is going on, most of the time you won't be able to. The end is always something unexpected. Great book, great series, great characters. He could have done more with the dogs, though. I get my "dog fix" thru Andy Car
Teena in Toronto
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Andy is a criminal defense lawyer who doesn't want any clients. Because of the money his father left him, he is able to not work and spend his time with his friend, Willie, running the Tara Foundation, a dog rescue that he and Willie formed. He is married to Laurie and they have an adopted young son, Ricky, so he is enjoying his life.

But when Dave, an ex-boyfriend of Laurie's, is arrested for murdering a truck driver, Andy can't say no, despite not wanting to defend him. Dave doesn't
Betty
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was delighted when I received the notice from the Meridian Library that David Rosenfelt's RECUSED was on my self. My thanks to the library and Overdrive. I went and downloaded it. I read it in one sitting. It did not disappoint. I enjoy Andy's humor and actions.I admit I read the stories for the dogs.
Andy and Willy are called to a rest stop to pick a load seventy dogs that
are on the truck as the driver has been killed. Laura ex-fiancée, an ex-cop admits he shot the driver but the eviden
Linden
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lawyer Andy Carpenter is guilted into taking a case by his wife, Laurie—her old boyfriend Dave is accused of murder. Dave claims self-defense, but the police find no other weapons. Is someone really trying to frame him, as he says, or is he perhaps less than truthful? David Rosenfelt has done it again—written a mystery with humor, great characters (enigmatic Marcus, wisecracking lawyer Andy, hypochondriac Hike, super –hacker Sam, Willie and Sondra, who keep the Tara Foundation running, the elder ...more
Jill
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
When the real world has become more or less unbearable, what a delight it is to be able to relax inside the wacky world of Andy Carpenter. This is book #17 of this stand-up comedy/mystery/dog-related legal procedural crime series. I have not read all of them, but it’s not a problem to follow the plots no matter which book you pick up.

Andy is a lawyer who hates to work and has enough inherited wealth to avoid it, but somehow cases keep falling into his lap. In this instance, his wife
Joy Smith
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
I like the premise; and the background of the dog shelter and the hero's dedication to Tara Foundation--named after Tara, his golden retriever--is well done. Andy Carpenter, a lawyer, doesn't have to work (believable setup), but he has a fantastic investigative team to back him up when he takes a case and needs help, and then there's Laurie, his wife and a former police detective. They're a good team too. I enjoyed the humor, and though I'm not fond of stories written in the present tense, it wo ...more
Joyce Stewart Reviews
Rescued: An Andy Carpenter Mystery (An Andy Carpenter Novel Book 17)
by David Rosenfelt
3 ⭐⭐⭐
This is my second read by this author and well it left me with mixed emotions. ! The story starts out in first person then It shifts to 3 rd person. It started out really good , then kind of died once The dogs were rescued. The storyline was a bit confusing to me. I did however love the humor mixed into the story. It was a pretty quick read with short chapters. I somewhat enjoyed the story, bu
Bob Lafary
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am a David Rosenfelt / Andy Carpenter groupie. What can I say? Well, I guess I could say: I am a David Rosenfelt / Andy Carpenter groupie. Well, I guess I already said that. But, you are still reading me--aren't you. When I read a Carpenter novel--I picture Andy looking just like David. Or, is it the other way around? I have never read a Carpenter book I didn't love. And this one is no exception. I suppose some reviewers say they are the same old characters; he still doesn't really want a new ...more
Nadeen

When I listen to an Andy Carpenter book it is never for the mystery. I know I have said it before but it is for the characters. Are any of them believable? With the exception of Tara I doubt it. Tara is Andy's faithful Golden Retriever whom he mistakenly believes is the best dog in the world. The books center on his Tara Foundation, which rescues dogs, as much as on his limited law career. I say limited since he never takes more than a case a year and with that he considers himself overworked.

T

Opa
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is Rosenfelt's latest Andy Carpenter book. I believe that it is his writing style that makes what would be an average book fun to read. You just find yourself smiling in an empty room while reading his books. The plot is OK. The characters are all there. The action was a little less this time. His humor makes the book for me. It's entertainment. I like to be entertained.
Mr. Tullier
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An easy fun read

While there is a certain predictably to A. Roosevelt's books, they are a fun read. The internal dialogue of Andy Carpenter is witty and funny. The plots are intriguing enough to maintain interest but not so complex I can't follow them. Makes a good change of pace for me.
Sarah Beneke
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always love an Andy Carpenter mystery. The writing is great--Andy's sense of humor makes me laugh out loud when reading it. And to top it off Andy (David Rosenfelt) loves dogs so they always play a part in these books!
terpkristin
Ah, another Andy Carpenter book. I look forward to these every year, moreso lately because they've stopped being completely ridiculous. I mean, they're still ridiculous, but Andy isn't singlehandedly thwarting terrorists now (now, he involves the FBI!). Not much to say about this one but that the missing dog proves to be the missing link. Of course, what that link is takes most of the book to find out. Like, until the last 10 minutes of the audiobook.
Dad
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another hit by David Rosenfelt. This time Andy solves a complicated murder involving a dog rescue operation which very cleverly covered up the true crime. This was the audio version and I must admit, this is one series where I enjoy the audio version more than the novel—when I read one of these books I find myself using the reader’s voice. Another hit which proves authors can write series books which remain entertaining and enjoyable. Take a note James Patterson!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Heart of Barkness (Chet and Bernie Mystery, #9)
  • Field of Bones (Joanna Brady, #18)
  • Feared (Rosato & DiNunzio, #6)
  • Ruff Justice (Melanie Travis Canine Mysteries Book 22)
  • Holy Ghost (Virgil Flowers, #11)
  • The A List (Ali Reynolds, #14)
  • Long Road to Mercy (Atlee Pine, #1)
  • The Breakers (Sharon McCone, #33)
  • Dark Sacred Night (Renée Ballard, #2)
  • The Long Paw of the Law (Paw Enforcement, #7)
  • Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • Skin Game (Teddy Fay, #3)
  • Toucan Keep a Secret (Meg Langslow, #23)
  • The Bitterroots (Cassie Dewell, #4)
  • Burning Ridge (Timber Creek K-9 Mystery #4)
  • Like to Die (Mac McKenzie, #15)
  • Bury the Lead (Joe Gunther #29)
  • Walking Shadows (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #25)
I am a novelist with 27 dogs.

I have gotten to this dubious position with absolutely no planning, and at no stage in my life could I have predicted it. But here I am.

My childhood was relentlessly normal. The middle of three brothers, loving parents, a middle-class home in Paterson, New Jersey. We played sports, studied sporadically. laughed around the dinner table, and gener

Andy Carpenter (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter #1)
  • First Degree (Andy Carpenter #2)
  • Bury the Lead (Andy Carpenter #3)
  • Sudden Death (Andy Carpenter #4)
  • Dead Center (Andy Carpenter #5)
  • Play Dead (Andy Carpenter #6)
  • New Tricks (Andy Carpenter #7)
  • Dog Tags (Andy Carpenter #8)
  • One Dog Night (Andy Carpenter #9)
  • Leader of the Pack (Andy Carpenter #10)