Start by marking “Birds of a Feather: A True Story of Hope and the Healing Power of Animals” as Want to Read:
Birds of a Feather: A True Story of Hope and the Healing Power of Animals

Birds of a Feather: A True Story of Hope and the Healing Power of Animals

The inspiring story of how one woman's vision helped create a unique healing community

Lee Woodruff: "This true story will twist your heart like a sponge and renew your faith in the world."

Vicki Myron: "A heartwarming book."

Animal lover though she was, Lorin Lindner was definitely not looking for a pet. She was busy training to be a psychologist. Then came Sammy - a misch
Published May 15th 2018 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Birds of a Feather, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Birds of a Feather

Laura Chase
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful look at the way humans and animals can help each other
Lori
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was a goodreads giveaway winner of this book. Lorin Linder had a couple large birds. she grew to love owning them and discovered what good therapy these large birds could be for people dealing with all kinds of emotional issues. she eventually started a bird sanctuary for the birds. People dealing with issues from PTSD and other problems came to visit and volunteer at the sanctuary. This book shows how much the birds helped these people and how they helped the birds. Each person and bird had t ...more
Claire
Feb 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
This is not the book for me, but my sister and her ilk might like it. I say this since she wanted to take me to a wild bird preservation habitat nearby-ish, but I am still seriously bent out of shape over the loss of the dearest cockatiel I lost since I had him since I was FIVE YEARS OLD. Until I was going to MIDDLE SCHOOL. I am still really upset over that.
Carol
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Please see my review on Amazon.com under C. Wong. Thank you.
Abigail
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. 🙂

I honestly really enjoyed this book. I found it to be very interesting! Animals and soldiers haha what could be better?

Anyway, let’s get into this more. I really liked the writing I found that Lorin did a good job at explaining things and she knew a lot about all the things she was passionate about. It’s not like you were getting information from someone who just found bird interesting. You could feel how sh
Brian Ledtke
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a very nice, fluffy read but it honestly reads like a 200-plus page blog post. Most of what is said and written in this book could have been said in all of 3 chapters but she somehow manages to go on and on finding time to slip in her random thoughts on things like gender inequality, why she doesn't believe in marriage, and other random musings.
Pamela Barrett
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love birds, from my first Parakeet when I was a child, to a soft gray Cockatiel in my twenties, to our next Parakeet as newlyweds, and to my last sweet Green Rump Parrotlet named Seurat who looked like a little green dab of paint in the artist’s pointillist painting and yet after reading Birds of a Feather I realized I didn’t know a darn thing about how to raise birds. I’d do it all differently if I did it again, which I won’t because birds can live a long time, especially Parrots and it’s not ...more
Marnie Gaede
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There are many recent great books on animal cognition that have served to enhance our evolution toward better understanding and treatment of animals. Among the best are Carl Safina’s Beyond Words: What Animals Think and Feel, Virginia Morell’s Animal Wise: How we know Animals Think and Feel, and Frans De Waal’s, Are We Smart Enough to Know How Smart Animals Are? There are also books that explore animal emotion, like Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson’s When Elephants Weep: The Emotional Lives of Animals. ...more
Alison
Lorin, the author had rescued a parrot by the name of Sammy, who had been abandoned, and later she received another parrot named mango. Wanting to give them a better life than they had known, she thought to start a sanctuary, and rescue more birds, as there were many out there whose owners realize that they didn't know what they had gotten into when purchasing a bird, and one that could also outlive them. The noise, the time, the mess was overwhelming to many.
This was a great memoir, about the a
Sarah Ewald
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Exotic birds can be good pets in the right hands. In the wrong hand, and with those totally unprepared to meet their needs, it can be tragic.
Lorin's story with birds began with the rescue of Sammy in 1987 from an owner who had no understanding of the commitment that is required of such long-living birds. Sammy was living in a house that had been slated for sale in a cage that contained no toys, no stimulation, and barely enough food, with a chauffeur that stopped by once in a while to provide s
Diane
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Birds of a Feather by Lorin Lindner is an awesome compilation of true stories woven together about the power of healing for veterans with PTSD by learning to care for rescued parrots. I admire the author and those who have worked together on these projects to provide a place such as Serenity Park for the veterans and the birds. It is amazing how the acts of kindness in the caring for these birds made differences in the psychological balances for these veterans. If you are a bird lover, this book ...more
Elisabeth
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I rarely write reviews of the books I read, but this book drew me in and I couldn't stop until I finished it.

Dr. Lindner weaves together her personal story with how she worked to create an amazing program for birds and veterans at the West LA VA Hospital.

I learned a lot about the birds, but perhaps more importantly, about how so many of our veterans are struggling and how this innovative program is helping them heal, learn valuable skills, rebuild their relationships with their families and ult
Susan Wasson
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I learned so many things about parrots and I had no idea they could be so loving, interactive, and funny. The program Lorin Lindner started to help both veterans and parrots is an amazing, uplifting story. Parts will bring tears to your eyes but more than that is the amazing feeling you get from the healing stories.

I picked up the advance copy thinking I would read a few pages and I was completely hooked right away and read the book in one sitting. Thanks to Dr. Lindner for teaching me a lot I
Christine D
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a good book, I appreciate her efforts in what she does for a living.
The writing of the book was done well enough; chronological and concise but I felt she was repetitive on a number of issues.
There was also a lot of wild bird information in this, I kind of felt like an ornithologist at one point, lol.
But I applaud what she does for veterans and illegally caught pet birds and her passion for both is evident in her writing.
Hope Ferdowsian
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Birds of a Feather is a deeply compassionate and thoughtful book. The stories of veterans and birds are vivid and compelling. With honesty and vulnerability, Dr. Lindner shares her profound personal and professional experiences as a woman who has blazed a trail for so many others. Her empathy and depth jump off the book's pages, reminding us all of the small and large things we can do to make life better for others. A must-read.
Lara
I would have liked a bit more details on birds, the whole rescue process (rather than just her collecting birds) and more about programing. It seemed like this memoir just worked around the details of the author building the business and process of creating VA programing and not much on follow through.
Dave Uchansky
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
in a world where everything moves at breakneck speed it's comforting to know there is magical place nestled in the City of Angels that provides healing for both this nation's wounded veterans and abandoned parrots . The author , Lorin LInder weaves an inspiring story of taking on unsurmountable odds and creating hope.
cat
Sep 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
I am always interested in ways that humans can heal trauma -- especially using mind/body integrative techniques. Having seen much on things like equine therapy, this leap to avian therapy only makes sense. And in partnering veterans with PTSD with animals that have also suffered trauma or negligence, the healing is on all sides...
Tanya Procknow
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had heard of Serenity Park but didn’t know much. This was an amazing story, mostly because it is a true story. When someone can see the hurt around them and make a difference it is an amazing thing. Lorin helped so many vets and birds work through their trauma find what they had been missing. Wonderful, made me tear up in several places. Thank you NetGalley!
MJ
I found a description of how wild birds are taken from the wild (right at the beginning) that I had to put the book away. I suspect more of the book will be heartbreaking so had to put it away. Why the heck are veterans not receiving all the medical attention they need? Why aren't men and women and animals not receiving the care and respect they deserve?? I just can't get past my anger.
Suzanna
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. The whole premise of therapy based on allowing veterans with PTSD and substance abuse problems working with rescued parrots is just awesome and it seems like it worked out really well for all involved. A very nice true story.
Shirley Eiswerth (Quackenbush)
Loved this book!! What amazing things animals are able to do! 💙❤ ...more
Julie Barnard
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a wonderful book about a psychologist who worked with parrots and veterans who suffered from stress.
Sunset
I love this woman's story: her vision, her follow-thru, her perseverance, her true care for animals and man kind.
Christie Hales
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a very interesting and heart wrenching book. I recommend for sure.
Sandi
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good I never thought of parrots being used for Veterans who have psd the interesting book will make think differently
Greta Cyrus
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I truly did not think I would like this book that much. But when I started reading it I could not stop!!! It was a really good book.
Carol
Feb 27, 2019
Carlos Martinez
Mar 01, 2019
Susan
Oct 21, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Temperance Creek: A Memoir
  • The Darker the Night, the Brighter the Stars: A Neuropsychologist's Odyssey Through Consciousness
  • Convictions: A Prosecutor's Battles Against Mafia Killers, Drug Kingpins, and Enron Thieves
  • A Cat Named Darwin: Embracing the Bond Between Man and Pet
  • A Feathered River Across the Sky: The Passenger Pigeon's Flight to Extinction
  • The Carry Home
  • A Place in the World
  • Imperial Dreams: Tracking the Imperial Woodpecker Through the Wild Sierra Madre
  • Golden Holocaust: Origins of the Cigarette Catastrophe and the Case for Abolition
  • Undaunted: Surviving Jonestown, Summoning Courage, and Fighting Back
  • Secret Service Dogs: The Heroes Who Protect the President of the United States
  • The Dog Lover Unit: Lessons in Courage from the World's K9 Cops
  • The Crossley Id Guide: Eastern Birds
  • What Is God?
  • The Inner Life of Cats: The Science and Secrets of Our Mysterious Feline Companions
  • Caravan of No Despair: A Memoir of Loss and Transformation
  • Wild Babies: Photographs of Animals in Their First Weeks of Life
  • Ricochet: Riding a Wave of Hope with the Dog Who Inspires Millions
Lorin Lindner, PhD, MPH was born in Queens, New York and divided her time growing up between the city and the country in upstate New York. It is in the open spaces of nature that she very early learned her place in the world and vowed to protect what remains of the "wild" when she returned to her childhood tree house and found the forest razed for a strip mall.

Her heart has always belonged to par