Start by marking “Never Quit: From Alaskan Wilderness Rescues to Afghanistan Firefights as an Elite Special Ops Pj” as Want to Read:

Now in paperback, the epic memoir of an Alaskan pararescue jumper, Special Forces Operator, and decorated war hero.

"That Others May Live" is a mantra that defines the fearless men of Alaska's 212th Pararescue Unit, the PJs, one of the most elite military forces on the planet. Whether they are rescuing citizens injured and freezing in the Alaskan wilderness or s
Published June 5th 2018 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Never Quit, please sign up.

Start your review of Never Quit: From Alaskan Wilderness Rescues to Afghanistan Firefights as an Elite Special Ops Pj
Donna
No doubt that the author, Jimmy Settle, is a hero. He did much and then he did even more. "Never Quit" is an apt name for this book and for Jimmy. We need more Jimmys in the world. I give him 5 stars, but not this book.

The writing wasn't the best. There was quite a lot of repetition. In one sentence something would be stated. Then in the very next sentence the exact thing would be stated but with different words. Also, there was significant emphasis put on little things that didn't add to this
Linda
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book about the process of becoming a Pararescueman (PJ). The theme of the book is “never quit.” Jimmy Settle had several setbacks, but he persevered in a tenacious pursuit of his dream of becoming a PJ. This book is not about Settle’s war experiences or Settle’s life as a PJ. For some reviewers, the full title was misleading. They expected more or, at least, they expected something different. The scope of this book is limited, so just adjust your expectations. This is no literary maste ...more
Michele
Being legally blind, I used two different technologies to read this book. It's slow, it's frustrating but I do it.....as much as I can.

I enjoyed this book. It is always good to get a perspective from these men and women on what it is like to do what they do.

Give it a read.
Jordan Larsen
Beneath the tranquil beauty of the Alaskan wilderness, there lies a dark side to Mother Nature’s vast expanse. Enter the realm of the Air National Guard’s elite 212th Air Rescue Squadron. Home to the venerable Pararescue Jumpers, the PJs. An elite Tier-1 A-Team of over five thousand rescues in Alaska alone with more than two thousand lives saved over the years. The PJs are Alaska’s Superheroes whenever anybody’s in trouble, anywhere, anytime. Jacks of all trades in civilian and combat search and ...more
Warren
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never quit, by Jimmy settle is a book about following a dream. I really loved it because it went into depth how easy it can be to change your life with just a slite change of thought, also what the plebs/trainees had to do for training, such as the obstacle courses, the partner activities, next what the pranks that the Plebs played on each other, and lastly the brotherhood that is created from all the training. At the beginning of the book it talks about settles past, he was a very active kid wh ...more
Will H
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think it was good book about our country for overseas and help other people if they want to try to become a jumper. I think it shape other people's minds.
Soumil
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book that I have read is Never Quit by Jimmy Settle and Don Rearden. Jimmy is an accomplished pararescue jumper. This book's genre is a biography and was written by Jimmy himself. In the book, Jimmy talks about his older grandparents and how they died in a boat accident. His mother was the only one left in the family when the incident occurred. Jimmy was later on born. His mother made him sign up for Track & Field so that Jimmy would calm down. Jimmy was always an energetic person who ju ...more
Rod Hoskin
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another good account of the type action these people do to rescue people and keep our country free. Thanks to all who help and defend.

More Americans need to read and absorb these accounts and honor both the men and women who sacrifice their time, and all too often their lives to keep us free.
Silly Mama
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story about the Paramedic Jumpers - what it takes to qualify and the danger they face when finally on the job. This story is told from one man's viewpoint, but reveals the loyalty this group must have to survive at times of trouble. Best book I have read in a while!
John
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know you're dealing with unusual human beings when you find guys who will sign up for a unit whose motto is "that others may live," which is the motto of the Air Force PJ's. I knew they were a little nuts because my nephew is a PJ and he's a little nuts, but it wasn't until I read Jimmy Settle's excellent book that I understood how nuts they really were!

The book is mainly about Jimmy's process of becoming an Air Force PJ and I found the process fascinating. They go to all sorts o
Mountain343
Let me preface this review by stating that I started this book this afternoon, and it’s now 415am and I just finished it. A quick, fast paced, read, and a good story, I’m not sorry I read this book, but I do feel a bit … mislead.

The reason why is simple, 81% of the book is just about his training, and childhood. Actual Alaskan rescues are almost non-existent, and his time in Afghanistan is given minimal coverage, with just one operation being detailed at the end of the book.

In other
Larry
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I typically don’t like memoirs assisted by other authors, Jimmy Settle has an amazing story. (The writing is just OK. I thought it a little chopped up and, at first, I had trouble with the timeline.) Nevertheless, I am happy to have Jimmy commit himself to the Pararescueman (PJs) skills and not be concerned about writing. The United Starts needs more people like him – and after reading this book, I think they’re going to be DARN HARD TO FIND.

Even getting into the selection process i
Kyle VanEtten
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely inspiring, a cool and informative look at the “pipeline” to become a “PJ” or “Para Jumper” which is the elite Air Force Pararescue operators who recover and provide emergency medical treatment. The book follows the story of Jimmy Settle from high school through his deployment and covers in detail much of the various training schools he went through as well as sharing stories from a few harrowing events he lived through in his time as a PJ. The book and Jimmy’s attitude is motivating a ...more
Karen Parker
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting and well told story. I have a lot of respect for Jimmy Settle, and deeply appreciate his incredibly hard and courageous work, his dedication to the teamwork that makes it all possible, and his willingness to share both the high lights and low lights for the benefit of people who are interested to learn from what he did. Thank you Jimmy, and thanks also to his co-author Don for making the whole thing work and to the reader who brought it all to life so vividly. I listen to a lot ...more
Valerie
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir-biography
This book was well written and moved along at a good pace. I was expecting it to discuss more about the rescue situations and missions they went on, but instead it mostly discussed the process and challenges of becoming a para-rescue jumper. I found the last few chapters where he is in Afghanistan a bit disjointed from the rest of the book because he is just all the sudden there and there isn't a smooth transition. He occasionally mentions things like the birth of his son or getting married but ...more
Jared Woody
Aug 01, 2019 rated it liked it
A book that fails to live up to the raw material it tries to chronicle. The book spends virtually the entire length simply explaining PJ training, and never gets to “the wilderness rescues” or the “Afghanistan firefights” it teases; at least not beyond mentioning they happened.

The author did Settle a disservice in voice as well, with Settle at times coming across as brash and arrogant with no small dose of hero-complex. At other times it’s apparent that this couldn’t be further from
Barbara
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was an excellent book about the life of a pararescuer. I was amazed at the amount of training these men go through to achieve their dream of parachuting into dangerous places to help rescue those who are hurt. Jimmy Settle certainly had drive, and the motto Never Quit was predominant in getting him where he wanted to be as well as a wonderful support team of other rescue men. This was a field I have never really thought much about, and now I have tremendous respect for them.
If I
Paige Gordon
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a fan of PJ’s for several years now, I was excited to finally get to learn more in depth about them. This book offered an insiders look at the journey it takes to earn the Maroon Beret and some of the incredible missions those who wear it take part in. If you’re interested in PJ’s or any kind of Special Operations think book is definitely ones worth reading.

Favorite Quote: “He had a goal and he gave everything trying to reach it. Not many people are lucky enough to die that way. To go out do
Beth Mason
I wanted to love this book...

I really wanted to love this book. And the message is undeniably inspiring. But the book is almost 80% about the author going through PJ training. There is so much more that could be said about the Afghanistan deployment and other missions, but it’s actually a very small part of this book. If you want a very detailed look at what a person goes through to become a PJ, you will love this book. If you are looking for stories about PJs doing their jobs, this is not the
Tom Novotny
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I "read" the audio book from Audible. I read these types of books for inspiration and the sobering effect they have on me. We live in a world of real challenges and unfortunately enemies who want to hurt us. We also underestimate the power every individual has at the ends of their arms and between our ears.

This book reads very similar to Lone Survivor which I read several times. I will probably reread this book too.
Dennis D.
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never Quit is great book about how Jimmy Settle the author, talks about his life as a pararescue jumper for Alaska's 212 pararescue unit or the Pjs. His job is to basically jump out of a plane to either fight or aid soldiers. The Jimmy Settle also talks about the fierce firefights he fought against the taliban and Al Qaeda. I love how he incorporates the reader into his deep thoughts, and how he describes each scene of the book. A great book worth reading!
Liam Wells
Fun story, well written for, especially considering Jimmy didn’t have a full college education, not that that matters these days. Anyhow, amazing story of heroism, bravery, vulnerability, and valor in which a young man overcame the tough odds against him to fulfill his dream. These PJ’s are America’s unsung elite, I can’t lie, I want to be one. These men risk their lives to save others and in my opinion, are the finest US Service Members we have, God bless these menz
Stacy Griffith
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scott recommended. Well written and SUPER relatable bc Ian is currently in the USAF PJ pipeline. Spent more time in the training phase than actual working PJ but that’s what helped make it more relatable for me.

Author realizing last, hardest training mission was actually leading to the relief of graduation made me think of spiritual application. Great metaphor for “fought the good fight, finished the race, kept the faith” graduating to HEAVEN!
Megan Dax
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why did this book have to end!!! I became completely entranced from start to finish. Having serviced in Security Forces and attached to a Special Operations Squadron, this book took me back. Much respect goes to our Air Force Pararescue Jumpers (PJ). The training these men endure is physically, emotionally and intellectually challenging. The work they do beyond training is very important, and I truly feel they don’t get enough credit. ⭐ x 10 ...more
Joel B Champagne
Excellent

A superb read. Offering not on!y a great true story, but a Guide to life. The moral of this book is in the title: 'Never Quit'. Even in the worst of times there is a positive lesson to be learned. Obstacles are placed for to overcome and grow. This entire story is a lesson I perseverance.
Karl Petersen
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put it down

This is an extremely well written book that delves mostly into the training it takes to be a PJ. I thank God every day that the best of the best of us risk our lives for others. The vast majority of us don't have what it takes to do what it takes to become a PJ. This author does. Phenomenal book. Phenomenal Americans.
Aaron
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gregory Blue
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Man, what badasses! A great book I really have a newfound appreciation for what these PJ’s are and what they do. I thankful that we have people like them. After hearing what they go through I’m resolved to complain about my woes much less.An inspirational story.
Amanda
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating story of the drive it takes for someone to become a Pararescus Jumper. I could never do it...thank goodness there are those that can. I read the YA edition, purchased at a middle school book fair.
Krista Park
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: outdoors, memoir
Nice memoir by a person about my age from my hometown. It also happens to be a "how people train to be a PJ" instruction manual. Not a terribly surprising memoir if you read the genre regularly, but still a nice piece on the process, mentality, and camaraderie.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Level Zero Heroes: The Story of U.S. Marine Special Operations in Bala Murghab, Afghanistan
  • The Trident: The Forging and Reforging of a Navy SEAL Leader
  • The Last Punisher: A SEAL Team Three Sniper's True Account of the Battle of Ramadi
  • No Place to Hide: A Brain Surgeon's Long Journey Home from the Iraq War
  • Red Platoon: A True Story of American Valor
  • Dagger 22: U.S. Marine Corps Special Operations In Bala Murghab, Afghanistan
  • Damn Few: Making the Modern SEAL Warrior
  • The Chosen Few: A Company of Paratroopers and Its Heroic Struggle to Survive in the Mountains of Afghanistan
  • Outlaw Platoon: Heroes, Renegades, Infidels, and the Brotherhood of War in Afghanistan
  • Tin Can Titans: The Heroic Men and Ships of World War II's Most Decorated Navy Destroyer Squadron
  • Lest We Forget: A Ranger Medic's Story
  • Alone at Dawn: Medal of Honor Recipient John Chapman and the Untold Story of the World's Deadliest Special Operations Force
  • Lions of Kandahar: The Story of a Fight Against All Odds
  • Drone Warrior: An Elite Soldier's Inside Account of the Hunt for America's Most Dangerous Enemies
  • Dustoff 7-3: Saving Lives Under Fire in Afghanistan
  • No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama Bin Laden
  • Into the Fire: A Firsthand Account of the Most Extraordinary Battle in the Afghan War