Start by marking “For the Killing of Kings (The Ring-Sworn Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
For the Killing of Kings (The Ring-Sworn Trilogy, #1)

For the Killing of Kings

(The Ring-Sworn Trilogy #1)

A cross between Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber and The Three Musketeers, For the Killing of Kings is the first in a new fantasy trilogy by Howard Andrew Jones.

Their peace was a fragile thing, but it had endured for seven years, mostly because the people of Darassus and the king of the Naor hordes believed his doom was foretold upon the edge of the great sword hung in the ha
Published February 19th 2019 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about For the Killing of Kings, please sign up.
Howard Jones The publisher asked for an elevator pitch, and that's a way to approximate some of the feel of the novel, and the series. To be clear, it's not a…moreThe publisher asked for an elevator pitch, and that's a way to approximate some of the feel of the novel, and the series. To be clear, it's not a mash-up starring Corwin of Amber teaming up with Porthos and Athos.

That said, there's a dedicated corps of warriors, who are pretty swashbuckling, like The Three Musketeers, and who are almost superhumanly competent, sort of like Amberites. They have a code of honor, rather like the musketeers, and the world and setting is more complex than it first seems, and likewise there are factions among these powerful players (not to mention deeper and deeper layers of intrigue and secrets) just as found in Zelazny's first Amber series.

Corwin and Benedict are two of my favorite characters, ever. When I started toying with this idea more than 25 years ago, I was dying to spend more time with them, and two of the characters began as close analogs of them. As my own writing skills improved they've since grown into their own people, but I think anyone who reads this book and its sequels will be able to tell the ancestry of at least two of the protagonists.
(less)

Mark Lawrence
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
8 hours in a taxi. That's how I read this book. My disabled child needs me to escort her to and from summer playgroup at her school, and for the 4 sessions she got that meant 16 trips for me at 30 minutes each. Fortunately I had the kind of driver who just wants to drive.

While reading this I had forgotten the tag line "Nine Princes in Amber meets The Three Musketeers" but I made the Amber connection anyway. The similarity is two-fold. On the one hand you have a scattered and modestly sized colle
Elizabeth Dragina
Feb 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF .... like what 10% through?! I'm sorry but this was not what I was expecting and it certainly wasn't what it signed up for.

There was way too much dark magic, a lot of alcoholic drinking ( from people who have been wounded deep inside ), and so much homosexuality!!! YUCK!! No. Thank. You. ( Homosexuality is one of the most vile things I could ever imagine . . . and having to read about it and create a scene of it in my head is more disgusting than I could ever begin to explain! )

The cover is
Mike
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sword and Sorcery fantasy writ large. If you like your action furious and your fantasy high this is a book you should seek out. Howard Andrew Jones is an author that continues to impress and I can't wait to see where this world goes next.
Bradley
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Where do I begin with For the Killing of Kings? Do I start with my impressions of the central murder mystery, which unfolds to fascinating and devastating effect? Do I go on about the two central characters, a grizzled drunk and a bright-eyed but promising recruit, who play foil to one another beautifully? Perhaps I could mention the way it tips its hat to Arthurian legend without becoming beholden to it, and how it put a smile on my face. I might even touch on how deftly the world was revealed, ...more
S.E. Lindberg
When comes my numbered day, I will meet it smiling. For I’ll have kept this oath.
I shall use my arms to shield the weak.
I shall use my lips to speak the truth, and my eyes to see it.
I shall use my hands to mete justice to high and low, and I will weigh all things with heart and mind.
Where I walk the laws will follow, for I am the sword of my people and the shepherd of their lands.
When I fall, I will rise through my brothers and sisters, for I am eternal
-- Pledge of the Altenerai

Howard Andrew Jo
Mackenzie (bookish_black_hole)
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was so much fun! My favorite parts: the dynamic between Elenai and Kyrkenall; the world building!!!!; and meeting all the Altenerai along the way. The pace was good, I read it pretty much in one sitting. I just want more!!! It read like a movie in my head. I can't wait for the sequels!

Thank you to St. Martin's Press for the eARC!

Full review:

This book had pretty much everything I love – a cast of characters that all have their own strengths and weaknesses and are all fun to read about; magic
Luther Siler
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
"A great rollicking landslide of a book." Five stars.

Find my full review here: https://infinitefreetime.com/2019/02/...
John
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you're a fan of Howard Andrew Jones' Arabian fantasy novels featuring Dabir and Asim (and if you're not, you should be), you've probably heard a lot about his ambitious new series THE RING-SWORN TRILOGY. Expectations for this book have been very high, and I'm very happy to see that Jones has not only met the challenge, but surpassed it with ease.

FOR THE KILLING OF KINGS is a white knuckle murder mystery brilliantly set in a Zelazny-esque fantasy landscape. It has everything ― enchanted blades
Andrew
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full review at The Quill to Live: https://thequilltolive.com/2019/02/19...

I apparently have a thing for military orders. Or, I guess not military, but organized groups of fantasy heroes. Maybe all of us who read the genre do, as most fantasy books have them. There always seems to be some group of warriors with a cliche name like “the Night Fighters” in every fantasy book. However, every once in a while you get a series like Malazan, or Bloodsong, or even Harry Potter that does these groups of he
Jeremiah Stratton
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was provided an eARC by netgalley in trade for an honest review.

For the killing of kings is about Elenai, she is a squire to the Altenerai, a group of distinguished warriors who have fought for their realm for many many years. At this point in the history of the realms, the land that Elenai is from is mostly at peace, and has been for 7 years. However when Asrahn her trainer asks her to fix a legendary sword of a famed deceased general, this leads to all kinds of questions, especially when Asr
Nichole
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a definite must-read for fantasy lovers! I was drawn in from the first page and the action and intrigue never let up at all. This book has everything that appeals to me in a fantasy. I loved the plot, the characters, the world, all of it.

I will be impatiently waiting for the next book to see what happens next!

I received a copy from Net Galley.
Roger - president of NBR United -
This was a great work of High Fantasy and I especially Loved the code of the Altenerai

I shall use my arms to shield the weak.
I shall use my lips to speak the truth, and my eyes to see it.
When I fall, I will rise throug
Al Burke
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A rollicking old-school adventure. Review here - https://www.alwroteabook.com/2019/02/...
Iryna KL
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
I received this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you publisher!

4 out of 5 stars

My first ever serious book was The Count of Monte Cristo and ever since then - I have been obsessed with the works of Dumas. When I came upon this book - which the publisher compared to Nine Princes of Amber & the Three Musketeers - I just had to read it.

While the story itself is pretty good (you have your usual underestimated/untested MC), the world building is interesting, and the myst
Violette Malan
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A really exceptional book. I kept looking at how much was left to read and going "oh no, it's almost over." Then I would console myself with the knowledge that another volume is coming. HAJ's work is always top-notch, and this one is more compelling than usual.
Deb Poillon
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well , now I'm going to have to read all his other books. What a fun fantasy. Really liked the characters and the world building.
Kim
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really strong character-driven fantasy that reminds me of de Castell's Greatcoat series (except I liked this better since it has much smarter characters). There is never a dull moment and the camaraderie between the Altenerai really holds the whole book together. The POV characters grow, change, and learn over the course of the book, and there are plenty of strong female characters, which I appreciate (sometimes they get forgotten in epic fantasy).

Also, though the book is hardly a comedy, there
Dean Brown
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a great ride.

What an incredible story and world Howard Andrew Jones created. The story starts out as a mystery, then grows into a full-fledged war with numerous plot twists and surprises. Very highly recommended. Can't wait for the next book!
Katinka
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
For years, the Altenerai have been the protectors of the realm. Many people dreamt of joining their ranks someday, and though the war that made the names of quite a number of their members become almost living legends, there were just as many if not more who were lost, either through death or disappearance. Some believe that the days where one could earn fame and glory as a member of the Altenerai are gone, and currently the queen seems to favor a new corps comprised of mages rather than soldier ...more
Rosie Rizk
The publisher compared this book to the Nine Princes of Amber & the Three Musketeers. They do share many similarities, mainly in having heroic characters constantly fighting and cheating death, and the magic system here is somewhat reminiscent of Amber's shadow worlds. I suppose if you were a fan of those books, you'd very likely enjoy this as well.

There are several interesting characters, and lots of fighting scenes. I tend to skim those after around the thirty ninth sword slash, but I'm s
Henry Lazarus
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Howard Andrew Jones starts his trilogy with For the Killing of Kings (hard from St. Martin's Press). It promises to be the best sword and sorcery in a long while. The world is fractured into realms with pieces of solidity between. Seven years before a peace treaty ended the war between Darassus and Naor because of a magical sword destined to kill the King of the Naor. Asrahn, the head of the Squire academy and a hero of the previous war, discovers that the magical sword has been switched, and is ...more
Gabrielle Holcomb
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, e-books
3.5☆
ARC received from NetGalley in exchange for a review. All of my opinions are my own, and are in no way affected by the exchange.

I was browsing Goodreads a while ago and saw one of my favorite authors, Mark Lawrence, review this book so I immediately requested an ARC of it. I really enjoyed this story. I did find the beginning
75 pages to be a little slow and it took me about that long to really get into the story but once I did, i was hooked. I tend to find High Fantasy names to be both diff
Brian Palmer
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, epic-fantasy
7 years ago, the magician-knights forming the order of the Altenerai helped defend the kingdom from a vast horde of barbarians, until their captain was struck down and their queen put aside the kingdom's ultimate victory for a short peace.

Flashing forward, the master of the squire uncovers something wrong with the prophesied sword of their captain, hanging as a memorial since his fall, accompanied only by a single squire. These revelations sound that squire fleeing, unsure whom to trust, as trea
Adam Woods
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'd stared this book after reading a few glowing reviews, and found a solid, enjoyable read. However, despite an intriguing premise, it took quite a while before the book finally to click for me. By the end of the book, the world felt real, and I was invested the characters, and had bought into the heroism of the old guard but it took half the book to get to that point. Thankfully the book ended strong, and left me intrigued to see where the story goes and if the sequel can pick up on the high n ...more
Ola Adamska
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed-2019
I was looking toward reading this book as I expected it to be epic with wonderful World buildongs alltoghther with lots of events and Great battles.
But here I am wondering what exacly had happened during that book beside lots of battles that were migority in it. It was deffinitely on epic side when it comes to The style of writing. But rest was hidden behind lots of fights that would work much better with more plot going on.
Yet it had me intrigued what will happen in next book and I hope There w
Joe
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lot of fun, with an epic sword and sorcery plot.
And since I recently re- watched "Space Cowboys", I nominate (despite their ages) Clint Eastwood to play N'Lahr and Tommy Lee Jones to play Kyrkenall.
Thanks for an excellent steer, John Scalzi!
Deborah
Feb 28, 2019 rated it liked it
If you want adventure, mystery, magic and action then this is the book for you.

Easily readable high fantasy, it contained a plot twist I didn't see coming that made me put the book down and go tell people about how my book had actually surprised me.

If you like fantasy then give it a go!
Felix
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it
A fun read with great characters.
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
can you help me how to read cause this the first time i'm using this app
Kelly
Apr 06, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Bite
  • All the Colors of Darkness
  • Corydon and the Island of Monsters (Corydon, #1)
  • The Tower of Living and Dying (Empires of Dust #2)
  • Lipstick Voodoo (Kincaid Strange, #2)
  • Dragon Unleashed (The Fallen Empire, #2)
  • Sword of Justice (Chivalry, #4)
  • The African Mercenary (Casca, #12)
  • Sovereignty
  • Arabella The Traitor of Mars (Adventures of Arabella Ashby, #3)
  • Big & Little Questions (According to Wren Jo Byrd)
  • Legends and Liars (The Duelists Trilogy #2)
  • Starburst
  • The Seventh Element (Voyagers #6)
  • Double Dutch
  • Alpha (The Infinity Division, #3)
  • No Dominion
  • Wolf in his Heart (Salvation Pack #7)