Start by marking “Crimson Snow: A Short Story” as Want to Read:

Crimson Snow: A Short Story

Green Valley was once known for its fertile farming, picturesque mountains, and abundant wildlife. Now snow and ice cover all but the tallest homes. The only sounds are Maverick’s boots clumping through the snowdrifts and the frigid wind hissing down the mountain. Even the beasts in the woods have gone utterly silent.

But the path forward is clear, especially for one embold

To ask other readers questions about Crimson Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crimson Snow

Selene
The reader meets the narrator, Maverick, in the middle of a snowstorm. His cabin is in an isolated location, he’s growing weaker by the day, and he’s made the decision to leave the home he once shared with his wife, Christy. It’s evident as the story continues on that Christy did not die of natural causes and Maverick is paranoid about someone or something following him.

This is a short story with a bleak tone and is 99% inner monologue. I liked this author’s writing style but the ending was conf
Terra
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2017-books
Umm

This book really didn't make any sense to me.... I'm really confused on what the purpose was and I don't think I will read anything else by the author....
Heather Holter
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as a proofreader. It is an easy read. Good when you are short on time, yet want a gripping read. The rich descriptions of the cold and snow will make you feel a chill to your bones! Sometimes we can't run away, no matter how hard we try!
Ted Tayler
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it
"A grim view of the future"

All rather depressing. The descriptive passages were there in abundance to demonstrate that the author is very intelligent. Which was a shame, because the bleak imagery might have suited a more spartan writing style. Sometimes less is more, especially if you're trying to get a message across. It wasn't the wood that got in the way, it was the words.
Heidi
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not my cup of tea

Very gory and ended to erruptly for a short story. I doubt that I will read more by this author.
Kristen Mae
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could feel the cold from this story deep in my own bones. O'Flynn did a superb job of making me wonder what the central character was running from. Someone? Something? Himself?? This is one of those stories that makes you second-guess yourself so that you have to go back and read it again.
Aimee Garrett
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm mesmerized by this story. Quick read that captures the readers attention from the first sentence.
Ronald Keeler
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Crimson Snow is a dystopian short story by Meghan O’Flynn that I liked especially for several passages of description. Here is one example that occurs in the first few pages and led me to say “Wow, I wonder if she continues this type of writing throughout the story?”

“Hidden behind clouds, the rising sun bleached the heavens a pale, sickly gray and turned every barren tree into a slash of black against the dusty sky, as if a bear had torn the tapestry of the horizon with razor-sharp claws.” (Kind
Kim
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-story, horror
After reading It by Stephen King I needed something short to wind down. So short story time!
I found this for free on Amazon and decided to give it a try.

Like in any short story there is of course no room for proper character development and world building and usually this doesn't really bother me, but here there just seemed to be something lacking. Sure there probably is a war going on and I don't need to know what kind of war. But there also seems to be a major natural catastrophe where entire
Bekah (bmango)
This short (very short) little niblet was good, and I loved how everything wasn't just told to me - left a little mystery about the main character's situation. The writing is also good - flowed well, great narrative, crazy character. Honestly just wished it was longer. Overall I liked it for the little read that it was.
Lynn Daniels
The story has the potential of being a good, post-apocalyptic story. The descriptions of the scenery are mesmerizing, but it falls flat because there is not a whole lot of character or story development.
Mary Pummill
Crimson Snow: A Short Story

A very confusing story about
Nd very depressing. Hopefully the world will never get to that point. I kept hoping the story would end with something positive instead of a nothing ending
Chrissy Woj
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story was fantastic! I had no idea what to expect when I started it but, as usual, Meg took me on a dark and twisty path. It left me begging for more! I would love to see additional stories fleshed out in this post-apocalyptic world.
Reader43
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A dark postapocolyptic story

A short story of survival in a world gone crazy after an infection takes most people. Dark story dealing with the choices one must take as the end draws near. For those who read about the world after a catastrophe occurs.
Annemarie  King
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A short story that leaves the Reader wondering what caused the contagen that quarantined this township and it's people. Happy reading..................Annemarie
I received a free copy from the author and have chosen to leave a review.
Karen
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story

This is a dystopian story. Maverick is trying to survive against insurmountable odds. It is clean but has some graphic content. I don’t usually read this genre so I might be overly harsh. Rated PG15
Sharon
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Short suspense/horror story. Your guess what happened to the town.
The Library at Lilac Cottage
Quite a bit of violence in this short story, plus the blasphemous language led me to toss out this lousy book.
Denise Gilbert
Strange story.

This was kind of a strange short story. The writing was good but the story left you with questions. Worth a read as it's a quick little story.
Neal B Kilbane
Winter's decline.

Good short story. This writer really pulls the reader into the thick of it and makes them think.
Very intense.
Trisha
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastically written short story by the fabulous Meghan O'Flynn. Her descriptions are so real you feel the cold, the hunger, the fear. It leaves you guessing in the best possible way.
Emily G
An interesting short story that gives you little snippets of information to keep you guessing as to what has caused this apocalyptic world until the end. 3 stars
Netanella
Granted, I get confused easily, but this book left me guessing about what was really going on until the end. And even though, I'm not sure I knew.
Shelleymae O'Donnell
Creepy.and weird.

and I like it! Something completely different.

Dont know what happened, or why...

and probably don't want to..

*Amazon freebie*
Kay Oliver
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the descriptions in this story, I was sucked in shivering, it is so well written. The suspense was never ending, I was turning pages like crazy. I loved Maverick and his story. This was an absolute triumph of a read.
Reba
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great short

Though a short doesn't give a lot of space for character developement or a lot of detail, this one sucks you right in.
Teri
Mar 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a story I was expecting from this author but a very interesting one which felt like a glimpse into a situation. From what I can gather it is post-war and we are getting one man's version of what happened to him and his wife as he takes us along for the journey. It is a stirring yet disturbing read but the author makes you feel like you are freezing in the snow and suffering right along with him. Interesting short story.
Tony Parsons
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Green Valley farming community. Maverick (husband) left because Christy Maverick’s wife) had died.

He was headed for Crystal Bluffs.
But so was Larry (Christy’s brother, military).
Who would survive the outdoor elements & who would perish?

I did not receive any type of compensation for reading & reviewing this book. While I receive free books from publishers & authors, I am under no obligation to write a positive review. Only an honest one.

A very awesome book cover, great font & w
VANESSA LANE
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Crimson Snow: A Short Story. It's a dark and thrilling apocalyptic survival mystery that will keep you engrossed and wishing there was more! I would love to learn what happens to Maverick. If you haven't read any of Meghan O'Flynn's other writing, Crimson Snow is a great (and FREE!) introduction to the way she crafts wonderfully descriptive characters, detailed scenes and intriguing plot lines. I've already read Famished, Conviction, and Repressed. I'm anxiously awaiting her next novel ...more
Brooke Fayne
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Compelling short story! This is a great introduction to Meghan O'Flynn's stories.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • True Scary Stories: Volume One - The Shadow Man: Real Horror Mystery With A Twist
  • We Have Always Lived on Mars
  • Cold Sweats and Vignettes
  • Dark Ride
  • A Dark Collection
  • Crawlspace: A Horror Short Story
  • The Ghost of Longthorn Manor and Other Stories
  • Dark Hearts: Four Novellas of Dark Suspense
  • Sugar Daddy
  • Free Fall (Z is for Zombie, #0)
  • The Snow and The Darkness
  • A Memory of Wind
  • We Live Inside You
  • Return to Dyatlov Pass
  • The Jaunt. Travel
  • The Mothers of Voorhisville
  • Jake and the Other Girl (Monument 14, #1.5)
  • The End of the End of Everything
Meghan O’Flynn is a clinical therapist, writer, artist, wife, and mom. She adores her amazing little boys, dark chocolate, tea, dirty jokes, and back rubs with no strings attached, in that order. Meghan is the bestselling author of The Jilted, Shadow's Keep, and the Ash Park series—which includes Famished, Conviction, Repressed, Hidden and Redemption—and has penned a number of short stories includ ...more