Start by marking “Crimson Snow: A Short Story” as Want to Read:

Crimson Snow: A Short Story

Green Valley was once known for its fertile farming, picturesque mountains, and abundant wildlife. Now snow and ice cover all but the tallest homes. The only sounds are Maverick’s boots clumping through the snowdrifts and the frigid wind hissing down the mountain. Even the beasts in the woods have gone utterly silent.

But the path forward is clear, especially for one embold

To ask other readers questions about Crimson Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crimson Snow

Start your review of Crimson Snow: A Short Story
Selene
The reader meets the narrator, Maverick, in the middle of a snowstorm. His cabin is in an isolated location, he’s growing weaker by the day, and he’s made the decision to leave the home he once shared with his wife, Christy. It’s evident as the story continues on that Christy did not die of natural causes and Maverick is paranoid about someone or something following him.

This is a short story with a bleak tone and is 99% inner monologue. I liked this author’s writing style but the ending was conf
Terra
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2017-books
Umm

This book really didn't make any sense to me.... I'm really confused on what the purpose was and I don't think I will read anything else by the author....
Heather Holter
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as a proofreader. It is an easy read. Good when you are short on time, yet want a gripping read. The rich descriptions of the cold and snow will make you feel a chill to your bones! Sometimes we can't run away, no matter how hard we try!
Ted Tayler
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it
"A grim view of the future"

All rather depressing. The descriptive passages were there in abundance to demonstrate that the author is very intelligent. Which was a shame, because the bleak imagery might have suited a more spartan writing style. Sometimes less is more, especially if you're trying to get a message across. It wasn't the wood that got in the way, it was the words.
DAVID ALSPECTOR
May 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cool.story

I enjoyed this story and it was a great length for a 1 sit read. I've been looking for some great.short stories and this easily meets that criteria
Heidi
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not my cup of tea

Very gory and ended to erruptly for a short story. I doubt that I will read more by this author.
Kristen Mae
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could feel the cold from this story deep in my own bones. O'Flynn did a superb job of making me wonder what the central character was running from. Someone? Something? Himself?? This is one of those stories that makes you second-guess yourself so that you have to go back and read it again.
Aimee Garrett
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm mesmerized by this story. Quick read that captures the readers attention from the first sentence.
Lisa
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ms. O'Flynn's writing reminds me of Tim Lebbon. Even the strangeness of the story had that feel about it. I loved this shorty! It even got a bit twisty. Yep, I'd recommend it.
Ronald Keeler
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Crimson Snow is a dystopian short story by Meghan O’Flynn that I liked especially for several passages of description. Here is one example that occurs in the first few pages and led me to say “Wow, I wonder if she continues this type of writing throughout the story?”

“Hidden behind clouds, the rising sun bleached the heavens a pale, sickly gray and turned every barren tree into a slash of black against the dusty sky, as if a bear had torn the tapestry of the horizon with razor-sharp claws.” (Kind
Kim
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
After reading It by Stephen King I needed something short to wind down. So short story time!
I found this for free on Amazon and decided to give it a try.

Like in any short story there is of course no room for proper character development and world building and usually this doesn't really bother me, but here there just seemed to be something lacking. Sure there probably is a war going on and I don't need to know what kind of war. But there also seems to be a major natural catastrophe where entire
Bekah Keesler
This short (very short) little niblet was good, and I loved how everything wasn't just told to me - left a little mystery about the main character's situation. The writing is also good - flowed well, great narrative, crazy character. Honestly just wished it was longer. Overall I liked it for the little read that it was.
Jen
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it
When the mountains turn from beautifully plentiful to dangerously stark, survival hinges on continually moving in the quiet of Meghan O'Flynn's Crimson Snow: A Short Story.

To read this, and other book reviews, visit my website: http://makinggoodstories.wordpress.com/.

Once an area of abundant farming and mountainous beauty, Green Valley has succumbed to copious amount of snow and ice, ushering in a pervasive quiet and emptiness. Despite the struggles and sacrifices that were needed to have been m
Frank
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
This is an exciting short story about a soldier trying to survive in the frozen wilds of the mountains. He only encounters a few other humans but tries t0 avoid them as he hides from bands of other soldiers. The descriptions of his coldness are well written as are his mental gyrations. This is a decent short read.
Christi Massey
Apr 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bought, kindle
I know this is a short story, but while the middle was super enthralling, the beginning was odd and the ending left me totally hanging. The bulk of the story, though, was really great and suspenseful. Overall, a great short read if you're limited on time or just want something to go through quickly.
Jeanette Young
Apr 23, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Don't Bother

Waste of time and effort. No storyline no ending. I'm just glad I didn't pay for it. Really and truly don't bother. I sometimes say about books I've read and not enjoyed - read it and make your own decision. I simply cannot recommend this short "story" in any shape or form....
Lynn Daniels
The story has the potential of being a good, post-apocalyptic story. The descriptions of the scenery are mesmerizing, but it falls flat because there is not a whole lot of character or story development.
Karen
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story

This is a dystopian story. Maverick is trying to survive against insurmountable odds. It is clean but has some graphic content. I don’t usually read this genre so I might be overly harsh. Rated PG15
Chrissy Woj
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story was fantastic! I had no idea what to expect when I started it but, as usual, Meg took me on a dark and twisty path. It left me begging for more! I would love to see additional stories fleshed out in this post-apocalyptic world.
Reader43
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A dark postapocolyptic story

A short story of survival in a world gone crazy after an infection takes most people. Dark story dealing with the choices one must take as the end draws near. For those who read about the world after a catastrophe occurs.
Mary Pummill
Crimson Snow: A Short Story

A very confusing story about
Nd very depressing. Hopefully the world will never get to that point. I kept hoping the story would end with something positive instead of a nothing ending
Annemarie
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A short story that leaves the Reader wondering what caused the contagen that quarantined this township and it's people. Happy reading..................Annemarie
I received a free copy from the author and have chosen to leave a review.
Trisha
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastically written short story by the fabulous Meghan O'Flynn. Her descriptions are so real you feel the cold, the hunger, the fear. It leaves you guessing in the best possible way.
Netanella
Granted, I get confused easily, but this book left me guessing about what was really going on until the end. And even though, I'm not sure I knew.
Emily G
An interesting short story that gives you little snippets of information to keep you guessing as to what has caused this apocalyptic world until the end. 3 stars
Kay Oliver
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the descriptions in this story, I was sucked in shivering, it is so well written. The suspense was never ending, I was turning pages like crazy. I loved Maverick and his story. This was an absolute triumph of a read.
Sharon
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Short suspense/horror story. Your guess what happened to the town.
Neal B Kilbane
Winter's decline.

Good short story. This writer really pulls the reader into the thick of it and makes them think.
Very intense.
Susan
Nov 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
Quite a bit of violence in this short story, plus the blasphemous language led me to toss out this lousy book.
Reba
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great short

Though a short doesn't give a lot of space for character developement or a lot of detail, this one sucks you right in.

• The Edge of Life
  • The Broken Ones
  • Snowflakes (Hush collection)
  • Kate’s Lake
  • White Out (Badlands Thriller, #1)
  • Buried (Hush collection)
  • Trauma Room Two
  • My Daddy is a Hero: How Chris Watts Went from Family Man to Family Killer
  • Disturbed
  • Girl Gone Mad
  • Bullets and Beads (Miss Fortune Mystery #17)
  • The Source (Witching Savannah, #2)
  • Dan Alatorre Dark Thoughts: A COLLECTION OF SHORT HORROR STORIES AND DARK TALES (Dan Alatorre Dark Passages Book 4)
  • Me and Carlos
  • The Disembodied
  • Downgrade
  • Killer Moves
  • My Wife's Husband
With books deemed “visceral, haunting, and fully immersive” (New York Times bestseller, Andra Watkins) Meghan O’Flynn has made her mark on the thriller genre. She is the bestselling author of gritty crime novels, including Shadow’s Keep and the Ash Park series, supernatural thrillers including The Jilted, and the Fault Lines short story collection, all of which take readers on the dark, gripping, ...more