Start by marking “The Third Door: The Wild Quest to Uncover How the World's Most Successful People Launched Their Careers” as Want to Read:

The larger-than-life journey of an 18-year-old college freshman who set out from his dorm room to track down Bill Gates, Lady Gaga, and dozens more of the world's most successful people to uncover how they broke through and launched their careers.

The Third Door takes readers on an unprecedented adventure--from hacking Warren Buffett's shareholders meeting to chasing Larry
Published June 5th 2018 by Currency

To ask other readers questions about The Third Door, please sign up.
Harsh I have given up in the past after the 1st and the 2nd door. This book and Alex's hustle gave me the hope to work hard and find the third door.

The cold…more

The cold-email template has literally changed my life. I can't believe the people I have gotten responses from. That was a game changer.(less)

Start your review of The Third Door: The Wild Quest to Uncover How the World's Most Successful People Launched Their Careers
Mehrsa
Dec 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
This is satire, right? Or maybe they asked a bot to put together all the hashtag cliches and the #lifehacks and Tony Robbins/Tim Ferris/Think and Grow Rich memes together to make a book? I read the whole thing because I could not believe this kid kept harrassing these people for interviews. Like what on earth is he thinking? Buffet finally blocks him. It's the height of obnoxious privilege. He uses and abuses his networks of dudebros to get interviews with sucessful dudebros but also a few hot w ...more
Arash
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
I heard an interview with Alex and was intrigued to learn more of his story but I'm disappointed I wasted my time. The whole book is just anecdotes of how he got to meet all of these people he wants to interview. I didn't find his interviews insightful or interesting at all. I don't think anything the people shared was particularly useful or different than what is out there already. Also, because I don't share Alex's enthusiasm and exuberance for billionaires and business people (especially egot ...more
Cassette
Jun 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Look, everything said in this book has been said before in other books. At some point you've got to ask yourself, "where did these people learned what they learned from?" That'll lead you to books, peers, and dead people they've learned from. And the deeper you go you too will see too you can find these advices elsewhere.

So if you have a long, long list of books read skip this one, you won't miss out.

For everyone else, yeah, if you have the time and money I'd recommend reading this book—your e
Kelly
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I tried to hate this book and the author for being self-aggrandizing and name dropping constantly in what seemed like a long love letter to Elliott. Even though it took me months to get through this short and easy to read book full of compelling stories, I am glad I did. The lessons in this book are actually invaluable. We have the power to make the most of ourselves and our one shot on this dust mote. And some of these lessons, both from the author and from those he interviewed, will help steer ...more
Ben Rostami
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“The Third Door” by Alex Banayan is the key to an empowering point of view and life strategy that will open countless doors for people who read the book and embrace its way of thinking. As he says in the opener, “Life, business, success… it’s just like a nightclub. There are always three ways in. There’s the First Door: the main entrance, where the line curves around the block; where 99 percent of people wait around, hoping to get in. There’s the Second Door: the VIP entrance, where the billiona ...more
Katie Shim
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I met Alex in November of 2018 where he invited me as one of his personal guests over Instagram to his keynote at the World Trade Center. I took a 15-hour bus ride from Toronto to New York to make it happen. It was that well worth it. Alex himself is electrifying. His presence and his energy is one people want to be around and he emits an aura that radiates and affects people.

It feels that way when you’re reading (and listening!) to his book. Effectively enough, it’s like the words are jumping o
Alex Donnachie
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
It was mostly just him sending emails mixed with some corny motivational quotes..
Rick Wilson
I’ll save you the time, the real lesson from this book is “fake it til you make it.”

The first 2/3 of the book is basically no interviews. Just a story of a self absorbed kid doing his best to annoy executive assistants. Waste of time really. Last 1/3 is decent but unrefined. My best guess is that Alex had to fill pages to have a “book” and did the college essay thing of writing fluff to fill pages.

The core problem here is that this is a coming of age story masquerading as a business book. And it
Elena
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. It was not so much a collection of interviews revealing clear steps to success (there are none!) as it was a roller coaster story about Alex Banyan's quest to interview these people. I just liked him and his honest, introspective style. Many of his ideas and bits of wisdom really resonated with me where I am at right now. Thumbs up.
Lynda Filler
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Impossible to categorize. A must-read book of the year

I was introduced to Alex in a YouTube video and immediately knew I had to download his story. If the book was half as good as his passionate story I had to read it. I was totally blown away! It’s impossible to label this story. It’s so much more than what it promises to be. I would say it’s a coming-of-age autobiography as much as it is a journey to discover how each wildly successful person achieved his or her turning point towards success i
Hadi Abedini
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: maybe-hadi
Although there seems to be a lack of subject and being a half done mission(as called in the book), It takes you through the adventures of a teenager finding the way to success and happiness. It's really inspiring and for me it was hard to put the book down. the book gave me a new point of view and changed my thinking about the way to get into business world.
Diana Lucaci
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Extraordinary book bringing you both laughter and tears, walking through inspiring and uplifting stories, and conveying the feeling that you are actually living the author's life. Great read! I would always recommend it!
Ava
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Well, there were times when I was not sure, if Alex is just annoying or naive.
"The Third Door" is a book, written by a young man trying to find his calling. I am from an older generation, and have to say that we all had times, when we questions society and the path we were supposed to go. And this is good.
I like how he described his thoughts, motivation and the determination to succeed, even though he had quite a few moments, when he was close to giving up.
Having said all that, there was noth
Mediaman
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: education, business
I heard this author interviewed on the radio and thought he was dynamic. The book, however, is not. It's the story of a crazy college drop-out who thinks bugging famous people enough times will get him an interview with them for a few minutes. He claims to be trying to make a point but instead he comes across as inept and pushy. If it weren't for his handsome looks I doubt he would have made the couple of key contacts that he needed to meet the people he wanted.

Instead of his silly "third door"
Khairul Imran
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Gives you a lot of motivation to continue with your dreams.
Michael Huang
The author wanted to succeed by learning from successful people. He managed to interview Tim Ferriss, Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Steve Wozniak, and Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh. Each taught him something they thought was important at least in their own success.
Andrew Benner
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Life changing
Ashley Jacobs
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Prior to searching for the best career books of 2018, I had heard of neither the author or this particular book. Since I was able to get my hands on the audiobook of The Third Door, I decided to give the book a try. I did not expect to finish the book in a day, but that’s exactly what happened. I simply could not stop listening. Although it was less about how successful people launched their careers and more about the author’s journey to interview these individuals, it’s still a story that will ...more
Jason V
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
With too many lessons learned to list, this book has already changed lives and will continue to change and inspire many, many more lives ahead.

Alex Banayan has left his mark and a gift for those who decide to embark on the journey that is The Third Door.

Banayan has a relentless focus and a drive that is rarely seen.

One of my favorite chapters is with Steve Wozniak. Woz offers his candid view of what it means to be successful. It has to come from within and be your own definition. Not your boss’s
Joerenz Tabanda-Bolina
When I first sat down to read Alex Banayan’s ambitious adventure narrative, the last thing I expected was to be taken on a 48-hour long emotional roller coaster ride that would leave me enlightened and craving more. Written endearingly and in a vernacular style, Banayan succeeds in playing celebrant to a beautiful marriage between guide book and inspirational story that is sure to take a proud place in your bookcase.

18-year-old Banayan starts his journey at the University of Southern Californi
Kim
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was easy to read, surprisingly entertaining with many insightful life lessons. It’s an inspirational book to young adults who are still trying to find their mission in life, but also a book for older adults to self-reflect and perhaps give life a more meaningful purpose. The acknowledgment was as good as a standalone short story. Well done Alex.

I smiled when I read the part when one of the advices Alex received was that it is more impressive to use a pen as the more digital the world g
Srikantadatta Tagadur
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I happened to stumble upon the book title in a LinkedIn post, out of curiosity I read through the cover page and was so hooked by its caption that I immediately got myself a copy of the book and started reading. The book narrates the exhilarating story of the author in his quest to uncover the 'Holy Grail' of advice to teenagers from the world’s most successful people.

I could completely resonate with the author throughout the book and was left baffled at times not being able to comprehend some
Zach Wadzinski
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
His initial story from Let’s make a deal is incredible. Learning to play the system is a valuable asset, however skipping the line doesn’t exactly work when it comes to meeting people. I really really did not like his approach to reaching out to people by consistent pestering. If anything this book is full of ways on how to NOT sell yourself rather than the opposite.

His worship of Elliott is mind numbing at times because he can’t see through Elliott’s narcissistic traits. In the end this is the
Kai Lode
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the few books that sucked me in from start to finish, reading the whole thing in less than 48hours. I remember hearing about Alex on Cal Fussman’s podcast while at the gym a few months before the book came out. I vividly remember having to stop mid set during my chest workout and preorder the book. After having read the book it is safe to say it was totally worth it. 100% a great book for any person in their highschool/college years trying to understand how to choose what they want to do ...more
Hannah Shimoga
May 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
A week ago I saw a post on LinkedIn that had a screenshot of the first page of this book. Reading about the Third Door analogy got me hooked, and I immediately picked up the book.

I expected it to be a series of excerpts from Banayan’s interviews with summaries of advice from the successful people he’d met. But instead it was a flashback into Banayan’s journey - filled with dreams, mistakes, small-wins followed by more mistakes, hope, determination, and so much more. Some of his choices led him
Kara of BookishBytes
The author's thesis is that if you are persistent and creative, you can accomplish anything. He sets out do to that by trying to meet and interview a list of very famous people. But the tone of his writing got under my skin in a serious way. He is very self-aggrandizing and copies the writing style of Timothy Ferriss (a style I have very little patience for). I couldn't read more than 1/4 of this book and I'm happy I quit it.
Marco
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
I reached the chapter of Elliott Bisnow and I can't believe that part is supposed to be aspirational. The Powder Mountain screams self-absorption and elitism. Reading about it more online makes you vomit.

There are a few good points but I think need to read better books to filter out the ego points of some people interviewed in this book and their actions during the whole "mission" ordeal.
Abhishek Anand
Jan 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Its a book that drives the point of not giving up and chasing anything, however ridiculous it might seem. Hopeful that the author will do bigger things and write stories about them too!
This one summarizes his pursuit to interview the most influential people that he and his friends think are right out of his college dorm room. Its a pretty daunting task for college kid to go ahead and interview the mammoths of the world. Its a fun, light read that leaves you inspired.
Richard Mulholland
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is not the book I thought it would be. It was not even the book it was sold as. However it was still a good read. This is not a collection of the lessons from the world's most successful people, but rather the lessons from a relentless author who wanted to achieve something. That's pretty special too.

Ps. I recommend the audio book version, read by the author.
Dmytro Shteflyuk
A somewhat interesting story of a guy trying to get an interview. Couple good lessons and interesting ideas, but mostly just a story of a young guy trying to talk to famous people. If you are looking for the actual interviews - you won't find them in this book.
Make The Third Door movie? 2 11 Jun 07, 2018 03:56PM

• When I Stop Talking, You'll Know I'm Dead: Useful Stories from a Persuasive Man
  • Anything You Want
  • The Almanack of Naval Ravikant: A Guide to Wealth and Happiness
  • Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
  • Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of NIKE
  • The Unfair Advantage: How You Already Have What It Takes to Succeed
  • Can't Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds
  • Superhuman Social Skills: A Guide to Being Likeable, Winning Friends, and Building Your Social Circle
  • Show Your Work!: 10 Ways to Share Your Creativity and Get Discovered
  • Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion, and Purpose
  • The 4-Hour Workweek
  • I Will Teach You to Be Rich: No Guilt. No Excuses. No BS. Just a 6-Week Program That Works
  • The Obstacle Is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph
  • Make Time: How to Focus on What Matters Every Day
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • Fix This Next: Pinpoint and Solve Your Company's Biggest Problem
ALEX BANAYAN is the youngest bestselling business author in American history. The Third Door chronicles Banayan's seven-year quest to uncover the definitive mindset of exponential growth and success. The book is a #1 international bestseller, has been translated into more than a dozen languages, and has been acclaimed by The New York Post as "a joy to read."

Named to Forbes' 30 Under 30 list and Bu