Start by marking “The Edge of Over There” as Want to Read:
The Edge of Over There

The Edge of Over There

(The Day the Angels Fell #2)

Before the Tree of Life, everything in Abra Miller's life had been predictable. But after the Tree and the lightning and the angels, everything felt tenuous, like holding a soap bubble in the palm of her hand. She spent years looking for signs of that other world, waiting for it to break through. When it didn't, her friendship with Sam Chambers grew cold and distant, and t ...more
Published July 3rd 2018 by Fleming H. Revell Company

To ask other readers questions about The Edge of Over There, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Edge of Over There

Shawn Smucker
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
It always feel a little strange rating my own books, but if you have as much fun reading it as I had writing it then I'll be very pleased. One thing I loved about this book is how it veered off and followed Abra. I guess that's all I'll say for now. Enjoy!
Maddy
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book was absolutely amazing. I grabbed a review copy at the last minute and honestly didn’t know what to expect. I loved the cover and the blurb sounded intriguing so I decided to give it a try. I’m so glad I did because I just loved it. I read it in less than 48 hours which is fast for me.

This author is an amazing story teller. I was immediately drawn in and I read it every chance I got. The writing is just so good and the author has such a way with words. This book will take you an
Catherine ♡
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
I didn't read the first book - I didn't know there was a first book, so I definitely felt a little confused by this at first. But I actually really enjoyed this, and I definitely really liked how the author set up the book in a way that provided background knowledge and didn't leave me completely lost. Everything was super interesting and original; I do think I'll be going back to the first book and reading it because I absolutely love the world that the author created. There were definitely a l ...more
JD Sutter
Wow. I can't believe I didn't see that twist at the end coming but I really had no clue. But it totally makes sense.
Susie Finkbeiner
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had the honor of receiving an advanced copy of this book from the publisher. There were no conditions and no expectation that I give a positive review.

And yet, here I am, giving The Edge of Over There a RAVING review!

Complexity of plot, three dimensional characters, lyrical prose. This book had me enchanted as much as the first in the series, The Day the Angels Fell. Smucker weaves a tale expertly.

I cannot wait for the third story in this series!
Dawn
I like fantasy. I enjoy science fiction. The premise of this novel intrigued me; especially since it fell into the sci-fi/fantasy genre. This book fell short for me though. I wanted to like it. I really did. But to be honest, it really didn't hold my interest. Maybe because it's book 2, and I didn't know that. Maybe it's because my current reading mood is mystery/suspense, or light-hearted reads. I don't know. All I know is that this one was a struggle to read.

I didn't connect with the characte
Patty Zuiderwijk
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First and foremost I want to thank the author and Netgalley for sending me an e-book to review.

Honestly, I did not know this was a sequel until I was already sucked into the story, so thumbs up for that.

The spoopy creeps that Abra's dream gave me, made sure that I continued reading and needed to find out more about K.N. , the other characters and of course the Tree of Life.

The book is filled with all sorts of fantastical mystery elements that really matched the writing and story telling and t
Patty Zuiderwijk
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it

Lisa
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm not the kind of person who gushes, but I'll make an exception for this book. I finished reading it hours ago and I'm still freaking out about the ending and how overall stunning the writing and story were. I really liked the first book in this series and I LOVED this story. Get your hands on it!

(I read an advance copy of the book provided by the publisher.)
Anita
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
* Read for the '2018 PopSugar Reading Challenge' task: A book you borrowed or that was given to you as a gift
Andrea Stoeckel
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“If you don’t know where to go or what to do, here is what I would recommend: go as far as you’re able and do what you can. The rest will happen. I promise. The rest will always happen.”

Abra has passed on after a life worthy of a hero. Samuel was gifted with the “keys” when her husband settled her estate. The thing is, for him, they don’t seem to “work” for Sam because he really doesn’t know everything...and he’s afraid he can’t do anything because he’s so old

Enter Mr. Henry who relays the stor
Erin Lehman
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the first book in this series (The Day the Angels Fell), so I eagerly pre-ordered The Edge of Over There. Let me tell you, Shawn has outdone himself! This book is beautifully written and engrossing; I read it in just a few days. The characters are well developed, and the plot weaves together in a way that kept me engaged until the end. I highly recommend you read this book (after you read The Day the Angels Fell... otherwise, you may be confused)! I'm already looking forward to the nex ...more
Alison McLennan
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve read loads of YA fiction, and there are elements most books have in common. Young heroes and heroines, the dark power of a sinister opponent, overwhelming odds against victory. What sets this book (and it’s predecessor, The Day the Angels Fell) apart from the rest is its constant, pervasive aura of suspense. From the first sentence, it feels as if revelation waits around every corner, that something deeper is happening than the sum of words on a page. This is the best kind of writing, becau ...more
J.D. DeHart
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my second time visiting the world established by this author. Something about the writing brings to mind authors like Ray Bradbury and Neil Gaiman. It’s not every day a reader encounters a book like this, and I will gladly return for another entry by this author.
Chris Jager
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I didn't think I could like this book more than The Day the Angels Fell. But I did. I read it in a day and it left me wanting more books by Shawn. If you like Neil Gammon, you should check out Shawn's books.
Helen
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it
The Edge of Over There is the sequel to The Day the Angels Fell by Shawn Smucker. This is a blend of fantasy and dystopia fiction written for young adults. This is considered a Christian story, but contains no Bible scripture or outright Christian teaching. There are some references that could be referencing Heaven and Hell. The story is filled with adventure and suspense and tells of the difference between good and evil.
The story starts in Deen with Abra and Samuel in the hospital following an
Amy
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A couple of things first...
1) I hate reading books on my Kindle app on my phone (but due to this being an advanced ebook copy from the publisher, my only choice for reading it right now was on my Kindle app).
2) I rarely read fiction because it either bores me to death or takes over my life until I finish the book.

With that said, I read the first book last summer (The Day the Angels Fell) and now the 2nd (The Edge of Over There). I read this mostly in a day’s time (despite the dislike of reading
Hanna Anderson
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shawn Smucker's The Edge of Over There is the second book that follows The Day the Angels Fell, a series geared toward young adults. Other than a few biblical elements scattered throughout I would not have classified this as a Christian book. This work includes characters that are angels, demons, humans, and the offspring of angels/demons. If you are looking for a good book to strengthen your walk with Christ or to help teach you biblical truths this is not the book for that. This is purely an a ...more
Janna Craig
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one, even more than the first book. The fantasy elements were stronger here, and I really loved the dual story line of Leo/Ruby and Abra. (view spoiler)

Both books in this series addressed death a
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it
The Edge of Over There is the sequel to The Day The Angels Fell which I reviewed previously. I wanted to give Shawn Smucker another shot, so I decided to read this second novel. This book felt spiritual, but had no clear path and was dark at times. I was confused while reading it. I wasn't sure who was who, which made frustrated while reading it. Also, I thought the angels in the story were different. I also didn't completely understand The Tree of Life. It sounded like before the Tree of Life, ...more
The Sherlock
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shawn Smucker
Review: First of all, the writing, oh the writing was amazing. The style, the way the words flowed is amazing! This is the first book I've read by this particular author so while it took a bit to get into the novel it really was amazing! I liked the characters and the setting. The plot was very interesting and deep. This is not a light read but I still really liked it. Thank you, Revell publishing, for the review copy.
Ticcoa Leister
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Edge of Over There dabbles in dystopian and fantasy with spiritual themes that are recognizable without being overpowering (something I highly value in fiction).
📖
It is reminiscent of works by Madeline L'Engle and Lois Lowry (that alone makes me swoon).
📖
I can't say enough about this book and its companion, The Day the Angels Fell.
📖
It's one of those books that I couldn't decide whether to dive deep and read quickly or float through slowly, so I did both. Sometimes you need to dive deep, then
Melissa
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another book from Shawn Smucker that I couldn't put down! Well-written YA fiction that has shades of CS Lewis or Madeline L'Engle. This was a very satisfying follow up to The Day The Angels Fell.
Rachel
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Smucker has a very lyrical, evocative writing style that I definitely liked.
April
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very well-written book. The writing was definitely the best part of this book for me as I got completely lost in the story like I did the first book. The characters were also enjoyable and I can't wait to read more from this author.
Alison McLennan
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Joanne Sher
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Compelling, magical, engaging story of love, mystery, desire, angst, desperation, and the spirit world. Unforgettable characters, an engaging plot, and what a setting! Highly recommended.
Catherine McNiel
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow. The imagery and idea in this book are going to stick with me for a long time.
Belle Whittington
I was subtler with my wily ways in getting selected to review THE EDGE OVER THERE by Shawn Smucker, when this beauty popped up in our blogger group. This time, I relied upon my trusty lock-picking kit to unlock the door that leads to Kristine’s Super-Secret-Sign-Up Room and entered undetected.

Unlike Smucker’s character, Abra, I do not have a key that can open, lock, and seal every door. I had to rely upon my crafty, racoon-like ways in order to get chosen to review the continuing story that orig
Kristine Hall
AUDIO AND PRINT. I’m doing things a little out of order because I am writing the review for The Edge of Over There, the second book of the series, before I write the one for The Day the Angels Fell, the first. That’s because I read (both in print and with my ears) both books, back-to-back, in two and a half days. I’m so geeked-up about it that I’m starting at the end.

THE END?! Please, Shawn Smucker, say it isn’t so. As I drew nearer to the close of The Edge of Over There, I switched from listeni
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Kingdom (Chiveis Trilogy, #3)
  • Light of the Last (Wars of the Realm, #3)
  • The Assassin's Daughter (The Inheritance Proclamation, #1)
  • King's War (The Kinsman Chronicles, #3)
  • The Golden Vial (Legends of the Realm, #3)
  • The Great Mogul Diamond (The Dopple Ganger Chronicles, #3)
  • The Nutcracker and the Four Realms: The Secret of the Realms: An Extended Novelization
  • Accelerant (Abiassa's Fire, #2)
  • Honor Redeemed (Keys of Promise, #2)
  • In Spite of Lions
  • The Pirate Daughter's Promise (Pirates & Faith, #1)
  • Beneath the Forsaken City (Song of Seare, #2)
  • The Wounded Shadow (The Darkwater Saga, #3)
  • The Aleppo Code  (The Jerusalem Prophecies, #3)
  • The Guardian
  • Looking for the King (Inklings, #1)
  • The Song of Glory and Ghost (Outlaws of Time #2)
  • Warrior (Dragons of Starlight, #2)

The Day the Angels Fell (2 books)
  • The Day the Angels Fell
“Hope can last a long time, longer than we expect or imagine. Even after you think it's gone, the smallest of things can bring it back.” 1 likes
“(T)here is grace to be found in everything, even in what first appears to be pure pain.” 0 likes