Start by marking “The Yankee Widow” as Want to Read:

The Yankee Widow

A richly layered, emotional novel about one woman’s courage and the choices she must make in the face of a dangerous war.

Caroline is the young wife of Jacob, who together live on a farm raising their daughter just outside of Gettysburg. When Jacob joins the Northern army, no one anticipates he will not return. Then Caroline gets word that her husband is wounded, and she mu
Published May 7th 2019 by MIRA

To ask other readers questions about The Yankee Widow, please sign up.
Veda Under the list of editions, audio is listed.

Lindsay - Traveling Sister
4+ stars!

Beautiful writing. Charming characters. Unforgettable story.

Caroline is a young wife and mother who is left to manage the family farm when her husband, Jacob, joins the army and is sent off into war. Caroline stays strong in the face of the unknown, with the help of her four-year-old daughter, Rachel, her grandmother, Geneva, and hired farmhand, Enoch. One day Caroline receives word that Jacob is wounded on the battlefield. She leaves Rachel with Geneva and the farm in Enoch’s care, to
Brenda - Traveling Sister
As a lover of historical fiction 0f WWII, I jumped at the chance to read something a bit out of my usual by reading this one. While what I thought was out of my usual it wasn’t so much and I was pleasantly surprised. Back in the day, historical romance heavy on the romance was my favorite and I loved stories with the backdrop to the civil war. I was reminded in this story just how fascinated by the civil war I am.

The Yankee Widow is a refreshing, moving and richly layered saga with strong well-d
Norma * Traveling Sister
Immersive, passionate & vivid!

THE YANKEE WIDOW by LINDA LAEL MILLER was an interesting, riveting, compelling, heartfelt, moving and highly entertaining historical fiction novel that immediately grabbed my attention and held taut right to the very end. I was thoroughly impressed and fascinated with this storyline and with MILLER’S storytelling. It has been quite a little while that I have been this entranced and absorbed in a historical fiction novel - I was glued to those pages.

LINDA LAEL M
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Beautifully written and rich in detail, The Yankee Widow will transport you back in time to an era that is seldom talked about let alone experienced. With a country literally torn in two with brother again brother and friend and foes alike, this atmospheric novel will make you feel like you are in the very heart of the battle, both on the field and off.

A time when war raged the country side, women had to be strong and independent and children grew up way too fast. When men were gentlemen still
Sheri
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
In the past six months, I've grown to love historical fiction. I was stuck in the same two genres for years and I'm so glad that I've finally opened my mind to read a more diverse selection.
I received this book in a Goodreads Giveaway and the opinion expressed in this review is my own.

This novel of historical fiction tells a fantastic Civil War story. The story follows Caroline, a young wife and mother who learns late that her husband was wounded in battle. The story that follows will tug at you
Sarah  (sarahandherbookshelves)
*ARC provided by publisher for review*

I really enjoyed this historical fiction novel! The Yankee Widow is set during the civil war. This is a time period I do not know much about as I am Canadian and I love reading about time periods I know less about. The particular story is about the Hammond family. All the characters in this book where well developed and I felt the emotions they did. This one was told in multiple POV's but mainly through Caroline. I really enjoyed her chapters as she was such
Maureen Timerman
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Reading the title of this book we knew that Caroline is a widow, but we also meet her husband, and the realities of this horrible war, a tear is all that he is offering, and your heart breaks a little.
Most of this story takes place in Pennsylvania, and we put faces, thanks to the author, to what life might have been like during this horrific time in the history of our country.
I was quickly drawn into this story, and was soon hiding in the secret room with those that needed not to be seen.
There
Mary
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for an arc in exchange for my honest review.
4.5 stars rounded up. I’ve always been intrigued by the Civil War. My (3x)great grandfather left his family and farm to fight with the northern army. His portrait hung on the wall in my parents’ home. I didn’t truly appreciate the extent of his sacrifice until I began to read accounts of the war – told from various perspectives. Linda Lael Miller’s novel The Yankee Widow is the story of Caroline, a young widow from
Janet
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A richly layered saga is set against the backdrop of the Civil War

In The Yankee Widow, gifted storyteller Linda Lael Miller explores the complexities and heartbreak that families experienced as men took up arms to preserve the nation and defend their way of life.

Told in a smart, assured and
Kim
May 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
She become a young widow due to the Civil War. Mourning her husband and trying to keep the family farm going with the help of a freed slave and a pregnant runaway. War rages around her bringing to her home two men from different sides of the war, who are best friends. Who will survive? Who will she pick? What secrets are revealed and can she love again?

Caroline Hammond needs to find her husband after he's wounded in the battle of Chancellorsville. With help from a Union supply officer and a nurs
Terrie Case
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
Jacob Hammond, who joined the Union army, lies wounded and unable to communicate. Almost left for dead he is saved and sent to Washington City. His wife Caroline searches the faces of many men in hospital tents before coming upon the unrecognizable Jacob. She stays with him as he draws his last breath and then takes him home to Gettysburg.

Caroline and Enoch, the hired hand, are doing their best to keep the farm running. Soon, the fighting is close by and they hear the sounds and vibrations of th
Kim Scace
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love historical fiction, and Linda Lael Miller's Civil War story is a great read for that genre.
When Caroline learns that her husband has been wounded fighting for the Union she leaves for Washington DC. She returns home a widow, and is faced with raising her young daughter and maintaining the farm on her own. She is managing with the help of a loyal freed slave (who has troubles of his own) and the advice of her grandmother when the Battle of Gettysburg happens and her farm ends up as a Unio
Kathleen Gray
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrific romantic historic fiction that doesn't spare details- just what you expect from Linda Lael Miller. Caroline Hammond's husband Jacob was so young and they had so much ahead of them when he joined the Union Army and was, sadly, shot at Chancellorsville. He did, however, survive long enough for Caroline to be able to say goodbye in Washington. The detail- graphic and sad- of what happened is well done. Her chance meeting with Rogan, long time friend of Rebel Bridger, leads all three of the ...more
Rachel Bhattacharyya
The carnage that was the American Civil War and the bravery of United States citizens who fought on both sides is graphically portrayed in Linda Lael Miller’s The Yankee Widow. Caroline receives word that her husband, Jacob, is injured while fighting in the battle of Chancellorsville and has been taken to Washington, D.C. for treatment. Caroline travels alone to Washington in hopes of locating Jacob – not knowing what she will find. She returns shortly after to her young daughter, Rachel, and th ...more
Ellen
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
A wounded soldier. An enemy officer who offers some comfort before moving on.
A young mother searching for her wounded husband; now a new widow takes her man home.
A hired man. A run-away slave.
Long term best friends meet in battle. A field hospital on the widow’s farm gives aid to their wounds.

There was no time for the luxury of self-pity. There was work to be done; lives to save and, unfortunately, bodies to bury on both sides. Occasionally, a stolen moment to grieve, nothing more.
Unless.
Would
Judith Sherrod
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Yankee Widow

I love this book. The Civil War has always fascinated me so when the opportunity came to visit various battlefields several years ago, my husband and I went. We started at Appomattox, Va. and Petersburg, Va. And finished in Gettysburg, Pa. This book spoke to me of such sad times and of the greatest loss to American history of the tens of thousands that were killed, maimed, or simply lost.
Linda Leal Miller has written a fantastic book and it is filled with love, joy, hope, life,
kate
May 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slow story with a Rushed Romance

A beautifully told civil war story. It begins with a young woman bringing her soldier husband home in a casket. Then goes on to describe their deep love for each other. Lovely. A month or so passes the battle of Gettysburg takes place and our heroine's farm becomes a field hospital. The next thing you know she's attracted to not one but two men. Best friends but on different sides of the war. Sticky. The second romance part was too rushed for my part. The first hu
Pat
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it

I received a free copy of "The Yankee Widow" by Linda Lael Miller, through the "Good Reads First Reads Giveaway."

The author's talent allows a seamless blend of accurate history and a fascinating story. She teaches us many facts about the important historic figures we have heard about. The reader may need a tissue for some of the emotional scenes, but otherwise it is a fun read.

The only worrisome aspect of the book are too many coincidences which are probably included for dramatic effect. Despite
LB
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
I received an advanced reader's edition of this book through a Goodreads giveaway.

This novel takes place during the American Civil War and shows the reader slices of life during the time. Linda Lael Miller has created an engaging group of characters that draw us into their time easily. She manages to show different aspects of the war and the issue of slavery at that time in our history while remaining true to the story.

I would gladly recommend this book to any reader who enjoys historical ficti
Debbie
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Erica Chaillot
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC copy of this book for an honest review.

I have read many of Linda’s books and I always lobe her characters, towns, and romance. She does an excellent job portraying modern and historical times.

Fast forward to this book, I loved the characters and the civil war aspects of the story. It was realistic and I really grew to love the characters.

I definitely recommend the story.
karen
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good story. Sad to think what everyone went through during the civil war. Sad to lose one’s husband in this war. The story between Rogan and Bircher growing up as true friends but fighting for different sides in the Civil war was inspiring.
For Caroline to fall for the enemy and his Yankee friend too was mysterious.

I hope there is a story for Amali and Rogan.

Even though tis was an excellent story, it does not compare to Linda’s cowboy stores.
Amy Alvis
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Over the years, I've read most of Miller's romances and loved them. I would consider, The Yankee Window, to be historical fiction with a side of romance to it, but it was just as enjoyable as her previous books.

The story starts out with Caroline going to find her husband that has been injured in battle during the Civil War. He has been badly injured and dies from his injuries. The rest of the story shows Caroline navigating through her grief and the rest of the war. We also get to follow the sto
Booksandballgowns
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway-reads
A heartwarming tale that tugs on the heartstrings. I was captivated the entire time and could not put this book down. The characters and setting draw you in, and don't let go until the very last page. Definitely reccomend to those who love American history and romance, check this lovely book out.
Vickie
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I received and advanced copy of this book through a Goodreads giveaway. Historical fiction tends to be my go-to genre, and this one did not disappoint. Just the right amount of history and ugly crying to make it one I'd highly recommend.
Deborah Yunevich
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual Linda Lael Miller's book is emotionally touching and visual. Set during the Civil War Era it centers around the lives of several people. It is a book to be experienced and I am waiting for more.
Joyce
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Semi-historical novel set during the Civil War. Story touches on the lives affected by the war, moral issues, loyalty, loss, and love.
Interesting character development and interpersonal actions between all the characters.
A good read.
Mary Jo
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a nice surprise from an author I've always associated with cowboy romances. I thoroughly enjoyed this well done novel placed in Gettysburg during the Civil War and hope the ending is going to lead to a sequel.
Sue Stewart
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exceptional book!!! Sadly seeped with the reality that was the Civil War. Amazing character development. Felt their pain.
Anne
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Summer Country
  • One Summer in Paris
  • The View from Alameda Island
  • The Honey Bus: A Memoir of Loss, Courage and a Girl Saved by Bees
  • Never Deny a Duke (Decadent Dukes Society, #3)
  • A Justified Murder
  • A Reluctant Bride (Bride Ships, #1)
  • Freedom's Detective: The Secret Service, the Ku Klux Klan, and the Man Who Masterminded America's First War on Terror
  • Unforgettable You (Silver Springs, #5)
  • African Samurai: The True Story of a Legendary Black Warrior in Feudal Japan
  • The Victory Garden
  • Talen
  • Tightrope (Burning Cove, #3)
  • The Parting Glass
  • Before She Was Found
  • March in Atlantis (Poseidon's Warriors #3)
  • All the Wrong Places
  • The Last Second (A Brit in the FBI, #6)
The daughter of a town marshal, Linda Lael Miller is a #1 New York Times and USA TODAY bestselling author of more than 100 historical and contemporary novels, most of which reflect her love of the West. Raised in Northport, Washington, Linda pursued her wanderlust, living in London and Arizona and traveling the world before returning to the state of her birth to settle down on a spacious property ...more
“To Jacob, bleeding into the ground, in the midst of an endless war, that goal seemed more distant than ever, hopeless, even impossible. And still, had he been able, he would have fought on, died not just once but a thousand times, not for the country as it was, but for the noble, sacred objective upon which it had been founded—liberty and justice for all. Whatever the cost, the Union must hold together. So much hung in the balance, so very much. Not only the hope and valor of those who had gone before, but the freedom, perhaps the very existence, of those yet to be born. In solidarity, the United States could be a force for good in a hungry, desperate world. Torn asunder, it would be ineffectual, two bickering factions, bound to divide into still smaller and weaker fragments over time, too busy posturing and rattling sabers to meet the demands of a fragile future or to stand in the way of new tyrannies, certain to arise. We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal... That belief, inspiring as it was, had chafed the consciences of thinking people since it flowed from the nib of Thomas Jefferson’s pen, as well it should have.” 0 likes
“Alas, the question was too big for a man in the process of dying, alone and far from home.” 0 likes