Start by marking “Neon Leon” as Want to Read:
Neon Leon

Neon Leon

Everyone knows that chameleons are the best at fitting in. But Leon is an exception. Leon is neon! In fact, he's so bright that he keeps all the other chameleons awake at night. Poor Leon is lonely, so he goes off in search of somewhere he won't be a nuisance. In this delightful interactive book filled with vibrant neon artwork, children can help Leon on his journey by cou ...more
Published July 24th 2018 by Nosy Crow

To ask other readers questions about Neon Leon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Neon Leon

Start your review of Neon Leon
Tasmin
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
2/5
Drawing: 5/5!
Story: Meh. It is basically telling you that you can only be happy if you fit in. Fuck that.
Erin
I read this out loud to my storytime group today, and it wasn't until I was faced with an audience that I decided I didn't like this nearly as much as I originally thought.

My first impression was of the bright and beautiful neon Leon finding a welcoming place in the world with a ton of fun reader interaction. I loved the color matching and search for a homey and familiar place in the world. I loved that Leon found a friend.

But as I read this aloud and I kept repeating that Leon wasn't comfortab
Helen White
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: junior-teen
Who wouldn't like a bright neon chameleon? well Leon doesn't really fit in anywhere as he is a wild colour. He tries everywhere but don't worry it's a happy ending.
Isabel Smith
Leon is a chameleon who is feeling out of sorts lately. Why? Because he cannot change the color of his skin to fit in with his surroundings like the rest of the chameleons can. He is stuck in a bright, neon orange skin that doesn’t camouflage well in the desert, in the jungle, or really anywhere at all. Follow along and help Leon find his way and learn to fit in as you read Britta Teckentrup’s Neon Leon.

This makes for a fun, interactive read. Children who enjoy a bit of action while reading w
Villain E
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I'm sorry, but I can't get past the fact that the text says Leon is orange but he's pink. On almost every page it says he's orange. When he finally finds a brightly colored environment to blend into, the text says it's all orange, but it's pink. Am I crazy? I asked my three-year-olds what color it was, and they say it's pink. I thought, maybe I have an older copy and the color has changed over time, but the cover on Goodreads is, if anything, more pink than the one in my hands. So, was this a di ...more
Ellie  Flude
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A fantastic interactive book with opportunities for children to immerse themselves fully into the story. I read this book with a year 1 class on placement and they all enjoyed joining in with helping Leon the chameleon fit in!
Neon Leon could be great to use for discussions around habitats and chameleons themselves. The book features many emotions and is based around the idea of ‘fitting in’. It could therefore be used as a tool to support many PHSE topics. It also has a page where children are
Bmack
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This would be a great book for a preschool or Kindergarten read-aloud. Leon is a chameleon who stays bright orange instead of changing colors like the other chameleons. The book has an interactive element as it asks the reader to guess what page they will turn as they go to the sandy desert and the big, gray, rocky mountains. They find out as the page is turned. It also invites the reader to encourage Leon and count to give him time to get to the next page. The illustrations are bright and engag ...more
BrookesEducationLibrary
Very bright and colourful, this is a great interactive picture book that encourages it's readers to count to ten, whisper, guess colours and spot the chameleons on each page. Not entirely sure how positive the message of the story but still highly enjoyable to read!
Cherry (_forevermint)
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
An cute & interactive picture book about a neon chameleon who doesn't quite fit in. ...more
Viviane Elbee
A bright orange chameleon who doesn’t change colors like the others.
Josie B.
Poor Leon the chameleon cannot change colors-he is stuck on a neon shade of pinkish orange. He travels from jungle to desert to jungle searching for some place he can blend in. I paired this with the nonfiction title, “Chameleons” by Grace Hansen as part of a preschool science class on camouflage and chameleons. We learned that chameleons change color for a number of reasons- environment, cold, mood, and possibly communication! We watched a 3 minute video of a chameleon changing color, matched d ...more
Alana Young
This book is about a neon chameleon who doesn't fit in because he is orange whereas the rest of the chameleons blend in and are all the same color. He goes searching for a place he fits in until he eventually finds another orange chameleon to befriend. This book is interactive, requesting the participation of the audience to count to ten, whisper the text, and make guesses. This book didn't go in the direction I was expecting as I fear the underlying message may be that to fit in and feel "comfo ...more
CTWard
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it
"Neon Leon" is a catchy, fun, original book that sadly was not well thought through as a children's story.
I personally do not recommend the book the story-time as is, because the original text narrative promotes segregation- but most likely not on purpose. As a chameleon trying to survive in the wild, the text makes sense. But in the context of a child relating to the story, it promotes isolating and excluding others solely if they do not look a certain way or cannot do specific things.
However,
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Neon Leon by Jane Clarke, illustrated by Britta Teckentrup. PICTURE BOOK. Nosy Crow (Candlewick Press), 2018. $15. 9780763699154

BUYING ADVISORY: Pre-K, EL (K-3) - ESSENTIAL.

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

All the chameleons are changing colors except for Leon. He is neon orange. He is orange when he is in the green trees, he is orange when he is in the yellow desert, and he is orange when he is in the mountains. Leon is starting to feel sad until he finds a plant that is just his color and as luck would h
Annelisa
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: miscellaneous
Hmmm. Not sure how to classify this one. I love the artwork and interactivity. But I don't like the idea that Leon couldn't find contentment until he was around someone who had the same color variation as him. I understand the message about feeling like one belongs, especially after seeing that there are others in the world like you, but I believe that it could have been worked a little better. The other chameleons come off as very insenitive (who couldn't love that adorable critter?!?) in their ...more
Ellie Labbett
I had slightly mixed feelings about this book. On one hand, Neon Leon is a fun interactive story that watches a struggling chameleon find a place where he fits in. On the other hand, I wondered whether Neon Leon somewhat perpetuates the idea that those that are different have to find someone the same to make a friend. I am not sure whether this is the message that I think we should be sending readers, even if it is unintentional. From an education perspective, this story does have its merits in ...more
Jana
It's tough to feel like you belong when you don't look like everyone else. Poor Neon Leon is the only bright orange chameleon around. All the other chameleon's are able to change color to fit their surroundings. Unfortunately the other chameleon's see Leon's bright color as a barrier to building a relationship with him or accepting him into their community. Young readers will be eager to find out if Leon will ever find a place where he fits in. This would be a good book to share with kids at the ...more
Emily
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
Leon is a chameleon that can't change color, but stays a bright neon orange. This title breaks the 4th wall and speaks directly to the reader to encourage them to help Leon find his place. There are some titles that do that successfully, but this one just seems to come off as a bit patronizing. Perhaps it would work well with a group of enthusiastic kids, but I didn't love it.
Gah, updating my review. It didn't immediately hit me, but the message of being unhappy until you "fit in" or find someon
McKenzie Richardson
For more reviews, check out my blog: Craft-Cycle

A nice story about finding your place in the world. This Eric Carle-style book incorporates many concepts including colors, emotions, counting, and instructions. Clarke also uses fun directions for turning the page ("softly turn the page") and challenges the reader with various tasks ("Tell Leon what color he should turn.") to make the book more engaging.

Nice, simple illustrations. A good book for learning or just reading for fun.

I loved the happ
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really REALLY wanted to like this book. The illustrations are beautiful and vibrant and I was so excited when it showed up at my library. Once I read through it, I couldn't help but feel it was promoting segregation a bit. I know it's silly and I'm maybe reading to much into it, but SERIOUSLY he found the perfect place he could blend in and found a friend that looked just like him. I like the concept of finding a place that you belong and makes you happy, but visually it was a little off putti ...more
Kathleen
I love Brita Teckentrup's illustrations of anything! So I was glad to see them in this picture book, with such a cute, sweet story by Jane Clarke about a little chameleon who can't seem to change colors with along with other chameleons, throughout changes in their environment. Although fine for a general audience, I think it would be especially nice read for those times when kids feel a struggle to up with peers, to deal with change, or to "fit in."
Jazmine
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Super cute book about figuring out where you fit in! My 4 year old & I both really enjoyed Neon Leon. There was super fun & bright colors, little factoids about chameleons, and lots of chances to interact with the story(counting to 10, telling Leon what color he should turn, etc).

We love Leon!
Ana DeLoreto
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: free-choice
Neon Leon is a fun, interactive story for readers to follow along with. Children will not only enjoy the bright, vivid colors, but will also enjoy turning the pages to see what happens next with Leon. Children also have the opportunity to shout out the answers to several questions throughout the book. Overall, an engaging book that will have readers eager to get to the end.
Desiree
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a vibrantly illustrated book! Neon Leon isn't like other chameleons. He tries but just can't seem to blend in! Neon Leon wants to find a place where he fits in, but also where he can invite different friends in. Good picture book for school aged children on self acceptance and celebrating differences.
Rosie
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ks1, classroom
Great illustrations and a good story in theory, but a little too prescriptive - telling you how to turn the page etc. Might be a good book to help reluctant parents read with their children. It does introduce the idea of chameleons changing colour to match their environment, so it could also work as a read-aloud story for EY or early KS1.
Karla
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun and interactive book. We especially liked the counting to ten part, picking out each chameleon on each page and the beautiful illustrations by Brittany Teckentrup. Neon Leon is a favourite in our house already!
A Severs
In the vein of Eric Carle with its non-fiction biology and striking illustrations and Hervé Tullet in its interactivity but with a potentially confusing message: you can't 'fit in' with those around you unless you are the same colour as them.
Vicki
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Love, love, love the endpapers in this book. Just take a look (ha!).

Leon is not your typical chameleon, he just doesn't blend in. Until....

This book is interactive with the reader/audience and just darn cute.
Barbra
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
The narrator in this fun book about fitting in directly involves the reader in this story of camouflage. Youngsters will be guessing at colors and wondering where a neon colored chameleon can hide. Vibrant artwork will have readers aged four to six smiling at the perfect ending.
Jillian
Dec 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute book with lots of opportunities for audience participation. Neat (eye-melting) color illustrations, and fun, conversational text. It's very nice that Leon eventually finds a place where his disability/difference isn't going to create a danger for him.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Mixed: A Colorful Story
  • Albert's Tree
  • The Honeybee
  • Lost and Found (The Boy, #2)
  • Up the Mountain
  • On a Magical Do-Nothing Day
  • Sweep
  • High Five
  • Copy Cat
See also pseudonym Hayley Daze.

Jane was born 17 December 1954 and brought up in Kettering, Northamptonshire, England. From 1972 to 1975 Jane attend the University of Birmingham where she earned a combined Bachelor of Arts with honours in archaeology and history. In 1981 she completed a PhD in archaeology from University College London.

On 5 November 1977 Jane married Chemical Engineer Martin Clarke