Start by marking “The Frightful Ride of Michael McMichael” as Want to Read:
The Frightful Ride of Michael McMichael

The Frightful Ride of Michael McMichael

Bonny Becker and Mark Fearing join forces for a deliciously spooky story -- with a twist ending that'll leave readers hungry for more.

When the Thirteen bus pulls up one dreary, stormy evening, something about it doesn't seem quite right. The driver grins down with a mouthful of long, white teeth, and there's barely any room to sit, but Michael McMichael is bringing his gra
Published July 10th 2018 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about The Frightful Ride of Michael McMichael, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Frightful Ride of Michael McMichael

Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Becker, Bonny The Frightful Ride of Michael McMichael, illustrated by Mark Fearing. PICTURE BOOK. Candlewick Press, 2018. $17. 9780763681500.

BUYING ADVISORY: EL - ESSENTIAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

On a spooky evening, Michael McMichael boards the Thirteen bus to visit his grandmother with a package. The bus seems a bit scary, the driver and other passengers seem a bit odd, but all goes okay until he finds himself the last passenger on the bus. When things take a decidedly dark turn, Michael fights b
Mrs.Melaugh Melaugh
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This occupies the somewhat rare niche of scary picture books. When Michael McMichael sees the “Thirteen bus” arriving at his bus stop on a rainy thirteenth of November, “something about it didn’t seem right.” He considers waiting for a different ride, but he is late, and he has “Gran’s dear pet” with him, presumably in the picnic basket he carries. So, he boards. Suspense mounts as the strange-looking riders get off. Here, Michael shows himself to be a good-hearted lad, as he gallantly assists o ...more
Christy
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
First, I have to say I love the dedication by the illustrator. I’m not sure who Lily is, but his dedication is to her. It says something to the effect that if there weren’t scary books, Lily wouldn’t have learned to read. You know, this says so much! Kids are not going to read books they don’t like. Thankfully there are authors like Bonny Becker who understand that kids like all sorts of different types of books!

THE FRIGHTFUL RIDE OF MICHAEL MCMICHAEL is great for kids who like a little bit of c
Jacquie
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
A modern day twist on Little Red Riding Hood. Michael McMichael is trying to get to Grandmother’s house with a special delivery in a wooden picnic basket. Instead of facing a scary wolf in the middle of a forest, McMichael encounters a frightful bus filled with ghoul-like passengers and a driver with a warty nose and distorted face. The boy wonders if he should find another ride, but it’s late and stormy so he braves the bus. As the passengers depart the bus, he finds himself alone with the spoo ...more
Karen
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
There is something odd about this bus. Not just the people on it, but the bus itself. It is hungry. It is hungry for meat! Michael is undaunted. His grandmother needs her pet and Michael is going to get it to her, no matter what it takes. In a silly twist, Grandma's pet eats the bus driver and Michael McMichael is saved!

Bright, creepy illustrations set the tone for the rhyme on each page. The pictures are spooky, but also quite silly and very colorful, which keeps the story from turning to a dar
Debra
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very creepy rhyming story that would be great fun for older kids. Michael McMichael gets aboard a very strange bus on a dark and stormy night. Everyone looks a little strange, but it is public transportation and I have seen some unusual persons myself. Everything goes well until he is the only remaining person on the bus. Then it gets very scary. But Michael has a trick or two... in his basket.
Definitely NOT a bedtime story. The illustrations are fascinating, so much to see in them.
My onl
Susan
Oct 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm giving this book 3 stars because that's in the middle and I'm confounded by it. It has a 5 star title, 5 star illustrations, and a 5 star concept. And it's great to have a scary read-aloud for Halloween. The suspense building at the beginning is also 5 star. But the further development of the plot and the ending don't live up to all I've just listed. I started out loving it and then felt let down. I do think it's worth buying and sharing with a child however. It's fun. It just has so much pr ...more
Erin Buhr
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
A boy gets on a bus with some questionably alive characters and seriously spooky bus driver. Now the irrational decision making aside, this is a spooky thrill. The story is well paced and the illustrations add a lot of imagination to the tale. It reads like something you could tell by a campfire. My twins personally found it a little too spooky, but they tend to be on the more sensitive side. If you're looking for a great frightful story for kids - this is a good one.
Pam
Jul 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The vivid illustrations bring this creepy tale to life. Michael gets on a rather unusual bus to head to his grandmother's home. Eventually, he's the only one left riding the bus and the driver asks for his bus fee - meat or bones. Michael successfully gets to his grandmother's house by tricking the bus driver.
Madison Lawson
This book is a nice book. I think it has a nice story in general and I think it would make a great read loud book during halloween time. On the other side, I did think that the authors writing was a bit odd, it sometimes felt like it didn't mesh well together. But, I really did enjoy the illustrations, I thought they were well done and went well with the story.
The Brothers
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bus, fairy-tales, monsters
This is a bit of a twisted re-telling of Little Red Riding Hood, only in this case it's a small boy riding a monstrous bus with a creepy driver to his grandmother's house. The treat his taking in his basket is not what you expect either.

Fun illustrations.
Kelly
Interesting rhyming cadence. Neat story, but my favorite aspect were the illustrations.
Kary
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think my littles that ask for "scary books" will be pleased with this one.
Kevin Summers
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Sample quote: "The bus was full, barely room inside. Perhaps he should wait for a different ride? But he was late. And, well, besides, it was Gran's dear pet he transported."
Jillian
Oct 20, 2018 rated it liked it
A spooky, rhyming story with some very vivid illustrations and a great suspenseful atmosphere.

My only criticism is that the meter of the text gets clunky in places.
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very creepy but with a funny ending.
Lisa D
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Another Halloween classic!
Emily Farmer
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The more I read it the more it grows on me....
Becca
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Horror fiction for the younger set - not my favorite - but some will eat this book up. The scary details will help gloss over the sometimes bumpy rhythm.
Anna
Nov 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Spooky and awful.
Stacy
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was so excited to read this book! But, alas, I was let down. I didn't like the flow of the book at all and wasn't impressed with the story.
Lynn
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ha! A funny spook picture book about a creepy bus, a creepier driver and a surprising pet.

A great book to add to the Halloween collections!
Sharon Lawler
Just right scary story told in rhyming text and accompanied by darkly sinister illustrations of the Thirteen bus and its passengers. Perfect for the story time set.
Danielle
Oct 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
Spooky for sure, but the rhyming is clunky and some of the words were clearly chosen to rhyme and not because kids would understand them. Not a fan.
Jen
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thanks, August, for the recommendation!
Rachel
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A bouncing rhythmic poem with a fun surprise twist, the tone of the illustrations really supports the story.
Mary
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Slightly gruesome in subject matter, I really enjoyed the rhyme and the fact that the language would challenge a reader more than a normal picture book.
Adeline Miller
Sep 19, 2018
Annese
rated it it was ok
Jul 12, 2018
K
Jul 29, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Bonny Becker is the author of a number of award-winning picture books and middle-grade novels. She lives in Seattle.