Start by marking “Murder, Mayhem, and a Fine Man (Amanda Bell Brown Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Murder, Mayhem, and a Fine Man (Amanda Bell Brown Mystery, #1)

Murder, Mayhem, and a Fine Man (Amanda Bell Brown Mystery #1)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  231 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
All Amanda Bell Brown wanted for her 40th birthday was to watch CSI on television, but what she got was a couple of corpses, a hunk of a detective, and a drop-dead gorgeous red dress. What's a girl to do when a cult madman is on the loose? Save the day, of course, and maybe snag a good man.
Published July 1st 2006 by NavPress Publishing Group (first published June 30th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Murder, Mayhem, and a Fine Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder, Mayhem, and a Fine Man

Michael
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was a huge fan of Burney novel,Zora and Nicky. It was rich in characterization,pivotal and unforgettable in nature. In contrast,this one was not captivating,and the writing style was dry and mundane. No connection to the characters at all,needless to say I did not finish.

Two stars for effort,but very disappointed with how this turned out.
OOSA
Dec 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
U-N-A-V-A-I-L-A-B-L-E!

While Amanda Bell Brown is a part of the living, she's basically just holding space. It's been 10 years since she fought love, or some semblance of the word. Bell advocates for others, yet she has been unable to find her own inner peace and continues to live with the shame from her own devastating past. While celebrating her birthday with her sister, Carly, a medical examiner, she is called to the scene of a double homicide. Could this also be the place where love and Bell
Kimberly
The title of this book was nothing like I thought. This was an awesome story. Amanda Bell Brown and Jazz Brown were so funny to me. Carly was a great character with a big mouth. Rocky was just awesome.

This was my first read by Claudia Mair Burney. She did not disappoint. I really loved the story line and I loved the bible verses. The story had me crying, laughing, and mad all at the same time. This will not be my last read. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series!
Megan
Murder, Mayhem, and a Fine Man was a fun and quirky read that also covered a much deeper topic than I was expecting. It was much more a romance than a mystery, in my opinion.

I felt so terrible for all that Amanda went through in her younger years and what she still goes through because of it.

The relationship between Amanda and Jazz became intense very quickly, almost too quickly. They meet and within the same night they are kissing and saying that they love each other - semi in jest, yes, but m
Trinity ♥
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was definitely surprised when I read this book. In a good way, of course. I was expecting it to be this short little book will absolutely nothing interesting. The only thing that I didn't like was the insta-love. One minute they're just meeting, and the next, they're all over each other. However, besides that, there is nothing else I would complain about. I wish there was a more mystery aspect than all the love-y stuff, but all in all, I enjoyed this book. :-)
Lady
Aug 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A delectable read about murder, mystery and sprinkled a handsome detective.
Kristi (Books and Needlepoint)
Amanda Bell Brown was celebrating her 40th birthday with her sister Carly when it was interrupted by murder. You see, Carly is a medical examiner and she was the one on call. The victims were two men whose house Bell had been to years before when she was working/investigating cults. But if it wouldn't have been for those murders, Bell would never have met Jazz Brown - lieutenant with the Detroit Police Department.

And so begins Bell and Jazz's friendship - courtship - headlong tumble into love -
OOSA
Jul 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
U-N-A-V-A-I-L-A-B-L-E!

Evy
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Claudia Burney has done it again. I quickly became a fan of this brilliant author after reading her other Novel----Zora and Nicky, which I've already reviewed and recommend that everyone read. All of her characters are alive and in color. She has a writing style that will captivate you and make you wonder where she's been all this time. This book is a page turner. You are immediately drawn into the story within the first few pages.

Amanda Brown--Bell to those who love her---is celebrating her thi
Ruth Ferguson
This book was a solid read, at times very enjoyable. Although I do not frequently read Christian fiction, I really enjoyed the blend of mystery and thriller storyline with Christian aspect of the story. The romance section was a bit flat for me.

Amanda Bell Brown, meets the very FINE Lt. Jazz Brown at a crime scene on her 35th birthday (talk about killer birthday bash) and there is instant attraction. However, he immediately makes it clear he is unavailable. For an extended time in the book, his
Janna
Dec 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a laugh out loud, mystery that will keep you going from beginning to end. I love the characters, the dialogue is absolutely brilliant and this book and it's sequel "Death, Deceit and Some Smooth Jazz" are fantastic. You start with a single 30 something forensic psyshologist who has never actually been to a bad crime scene, her 40 something sister who is a medical examiner and then throw in a good looking, tall drink of water named Jazz who just happens to be a homicide detective. Mi ...more
Nina Tolka
Sep 19, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobooks
I'm having a hard time finishing this book. I thought it was a mystery, based on the title, but it's more of a Christian romance with some mystery thrown in. The heroine has just done something stupid, and the hero is going to have to come to her rescue. I dislike that kind of storyline. I'm sure it will all be okay in the end, but don't know if I care enough to stick with it and find out. Also, too much religion for my taste, it seemed too preachy to me.
Linda
I just started the book, in the first chapter or so, but I really like it so far. New author for me, the title and cover attracted my attention. I stopped reading only because it was past my bed time, and I couldn't keep my eyes open. Unless I can't find the time this weekend, I will most likely devour this one! Looks very promising. I can't wait to read more!

I will write more later, but this book was amazing! I knew it had great promise, and I was right! WOW. New favorite author!!!
Valerie
Sep 29, 2008 rated it it was ok
The title is much more intriguing than the book! Based on the cover, I thought this was a mystery. However the focus of the books in the romance between the main characters and the mystery goes to the back burner. The characters are well developed and kind of interesting, but the murder and mayhem is strictly a backdrop to develop the relationship.
LJ
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Oh how I LURVED this book! I literally LAUGHED OUT LOUD soooo many times - my 4 year old kept asking me what was funny, by now she knows, "Oh, something funny happened in your book, Mommy?"

I felt like a part of the story, having grown up in Detroit and gone to college in Ann Arbor the settings were my back yard and it was delicious! Already have book #2 and #3 on deck to read!
Shu
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really awesome story. After reading this novel, I want a love like Jazz and Bell's! In fact, I'd settle for just seeing a man like Jazz in real life. They were so beautiful together. A cliche, but this book made me laugh and cry. I have read it several times and never tire of it.
Chiquedee
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
First introduction to CMB books and enjoyed it. She writes like I think so she catered to that part of me!

Bell & Jazz certainly don't fit but where love is involved, anything is possible! Bell definitely needs psychotherapy...LOL

Enjoyed all the sequels too.
Colorful Child
picked this book up during a company book sale. not sure if i would like.. but i love this tale of romance. what i love most about this book. the sexual tension, suspense was just overwhelming. i couldn't put the book down. a great romance novel to keep you satisfied.
Cynthia Bethea
Enjoyed this one too

I read Zora and Nicky earlier this year. I loved it and decided to look for other books by the author. Her characters are real people who make mistakes, feel real feelings, yet love God.
Karen
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I now have a new author to follow. I finished this book and then jumped right into the next one. I just know I will be sorry when I am done and I have to wait for the next one! I love finding new (good) Christian mysteries to read. I will be recommending this one to my fellow mystery buffs.
Reading Faerie
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
A 2 1/2 star round up.
Suzette Harrison
Aug 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Fresh, funny, & delightful!
Shannon Steuart
Jun 28, 2013 rated it liked it
A good general mystery with a smidge of romance and a smattering of Biblical references. I would give the next book in the series a try.
Mona Grant-Holmes
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a series I am going to enjoy.
Lady Van Helsing
Aug 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
I love Jazz. He's hott! And a nice guy, too, haha.
Dnew7047
Oct 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a great book. I like how she incorporated humor along with a spiritual twist.
Tasha
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book had me laughing through the whole thing!!! I so want me a "Jazz" :) 5stars
Hope
Jul 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
Melissa
Sep 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Chick lit mystery--Bell meets Jazz, a police detective, and they team up to investigate a cult related murder. Moving.
Mamanise
May 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Cute book, comical story-telling.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Holy Ghost Corner
  • The Night Remembers
  • Satisfy My Soul
  • Ties That Bind
  • Warning Signs (Stepping Stones Island #1)
  • Forever Yours
  • Fever
  • The Devil Riding (Tamara Hayle, #6)
  • Rhythms
  • Two Kill Again (The Cleary Case Files)
  • Plain Brown Wrapper: An Alex Powell Novel
209892
Claudia Mair Burney is the author of the novel Zora and Nicky: A Novel in Black and White, as well as the Amanda Bell Brown Mysteries and the Exorsista series for teens. Her work has appeared in Discipleship Journal magazine, The One Year Life Verse Devotional Bible, and Justice in the Burbs. She lives in Michigan with her husband, five of their seven children, and a quirky dwarf rabbit.
More about Claudia Mair Burney...

Amanda Bell Brown Mystery (3 books)
  • Death, Deceit & Some Smooth Jazz (Amanda Bell Brown Mystery, #2)
  • Deadly Charm (Amanda Bell Brown Mystery, #3)