Start by marking “Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #2)” as Want to Read:
Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #2)

Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures #2)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  13,063 Ratings  ·  176 Reviews
After mistakenly being appointed court magician by a regent who should have known better, apprentice mage Skeeve must defend a kingdom from the mightiest invading army in the world.
Published December 27th 2005 by Ace (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Myth Conceptions, please sign up.
Alex H. Prym is a typo away from being Hank Pym, the first Ant-Man and later known as Giant-Man.

Evgeny
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Skeeve and Aazh were minding their own business in an inn they ended up owing as a result of the events of the first book. Their leisure time was interrupted by a soldier who brought an invitation to the great and powerful magician Skeeve (ha!) to accept a position of a court magician in a nearby kingdom. As everybody is well aware a government job is the best one there is: it is stable, secure, and usually little or no work is involved; do not let me started on benefits.

Aazh talked Skeeve into
Orient
Sep 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody

The story has quite a similar plot, pace and humor as Another Fine Myth (the most enjoyable thing, Mr. Asprin can give). These books are a comic fun with a touch of fantasy and magic to me. I ran with my hungry eyes and impatient fingers through “Myth Conceptions”. Of course everything is prepared for the show, so I just enjoyed meeting the main characters, some familiar and loved from the first book and some interesting, new ones. To my joy, the Myth world gets bigger, diverse, more interesting
Gavin
Sep 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is the second book in Robert Asprin's lighthearted and fun Myth series of fantasy books. It delivered much the same as the first book. Witty dialogue, action, magic, and likable characters.

Skeeve is invited to try out for the position of court magician by his master Aahz, who claims it will be an easy job. It's not of course, and before long Skeeve finds himself having to defend the whole kingdom against a massive invading army with only the few magical tricks he has mastered so far. Lucky
David Sarkies
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's All Smoke and Mirrors
27 February 2016

Having somewhat enjoyed the first book, when I was around my friend's house in Adelaide (and he was insisting on lending me as many books as possible, despite my protestations at having a huge TBR pile as it is) I decided to grab the next couple in the series just to see how well Asprin writes his sequels. Mind you, I tend to have a fairly low opinion of sequels, namely because Hollywood tends to have this really bad habit of completely ruining them (or
Stephen
3.5 stars. This is the second book in the Myth Adventures series and, like the first book Another Fine Myth, I really enjoyed it. These books are fun, light reads that are perfect for when you either need a mood pick me up, or maybe just want to be entertained without having to invest too much grey matter at the same time.

In this second installment, Skeeve, an apprentice magician, and his teacher Aahz, a demon from another dimension summoned in the first book by Skeeve's dead master, along with
Werner
Mar 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of humorous fantasy
Recommended to Werner by: My wife
Shelves: fantasy, books-i-own
Usually, when I read books that are part of a series, I prefer to start at the beginning. However, my wife picked this second volume of the author's Myth series up at our local flea market, and suggested that we read it together, so I did. While it makes some reference to previous events, and many of the characters have prior history with each other, it can be enjoyed well enough as a stand-alone.

Set in another dimension where magic, or magik, as Asprin spells it here, (strictly of the incantati
Captain Spock
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Overlooked for sure, at least in comparison to how excellent this series is. I'm not sure entirely why this particular one stands out for me, although Little Myth Marker is probably more my favorite. Asprin's comedy while making sure to still lay out a story is awesome. If you want something light that won't break your brain or your heart. This series is a good read.
Klodovik2
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Stvarno sam u nedoumici oko ocjenjivanja ove knjige. Uopće nije loša dapače dobra je ali nekako ne dopire do mene. Prva knjiga me uvukla u svoj svjet u zadnjij trećini a ova tek u zadnje dvi stranice.
Ocjena 3.5/5
Desinka
Sep 22, 2014 rated it liked it
This second installment in the Myth series was a lot of fun. It was again full of witty dialogue and fun happenings. I liked how Skeeve developed and a characters and the way he dealt with the hard situation he was in. I loved the new additions to the team as well as the appearance of some characters from the first book.

Looking forward to starting the next book.

Rating 3.5 stars.
Alex
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The first half of this book slowly sets our heroes up to be backed into what appears to be a no-win situation. The second half gets them out in a spectacularly gleeful fashion. And then backs them into a corner for the inevitable sequel.

Again more jokes I didn’t get the first time around. I read this easily six years before experiencing Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar, so the first time around, I was as lost as Aahz’s audience for his really bad pun related to it. As an adult coming back, I literall
 Maksim
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Это как после одного кусочка торта "Наполеон", взять и съесть второй
Michael
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young adults, fantasy role-players, Asprin fans
Recommended to Michael by: Seth Klein
Shelves: fantasy, satire
This, the second book in the “Myth Adventures” series, was the first I read as a book (see my review of “Another Fine Myth” for the full explanation thereof). I still had the images from Phil Foglio’s comic books to inform my ideas of the characters, but this was a new story to me. The focus is less on the process of learning magic and more on Skeeve’s developing confidence and a bit of an expansion of our understanding of his world and the other worlds nearby.

The story, once again, pits Skeeve
April Brown
Oct 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen, fantasy
A childhood favorite re-visited.

Is the story as good as I remember? – Yes

What ages would I recommend it too? – Twelve and up. While ten to twelve might enjoy it, there are many ideas they will not understand. Though, they will certainly get many of the jokes.

Length? – Reasonable for an afternoon.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters.

Setting? – Fantasy, alternate dimensions.

Written approximately? – 1980.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – Ready to read more.

Any issues the
Michael Tildsley
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another quick, easy read. I liked this book even more than the first one. The plot was solid. I loved the additional characters that were added. The humor was spot-on and laugh out loud. There was intrigue and suspense.

I read this in less than a day and enjoyed it immensely. I find Mr. Asprin's writing style a breath of fresh air. He does not take himself too seriously, but he knows when to be serious and when to joke. I admire his comedic timing, the wit and speed of his dialogue, and the move
Doris
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dragons, fantasy
It has been a while since I read this, but I still recall the Archer and Skeeve's conversation at the battle, where Skeeve built up the Archer's confidence. Then the Archer asked him, if you could do that, why do you need me? The answer was classic, and wonderful advice to and from a managerial type.
Aleksandar Nikolov
Забавата продължава , и този път е в по мащабен план. Този път от решенията на Скийв и компания зависи бъдещето на едно измерение! А компанията е от идиот надолу. Просто и безпретенциозно Асприн с лекота ти става любим автор....
BridgetT
Jan 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, my-books
3.5 stars. I'm enjoying this quirky series.
diane
Oct 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ford, fantasy
Silly fun with many moments of hilarity. Still good after all this time. :)
Heidi The Hippie Reader
Gleep is my favorite character in this series and he has a fairly important scene in this book. Fun, light-hearted fantasy.
David Leemon
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
It starts kind of slow, but by the time Skeeve gets a chance to defeat the invading army (which inconveniently is not given a name), it is a fascinating fight in which, as is typical in a Robert Asprin book, not many people get hurt.
Michael Campbell
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
The plot and writing flow a bit better in this installation. There are less zingers, but I felt the first book tried a little too hard to be clever. That can take away from the novel.

It's a funny, clever, short novel and definitely worth the time to read!
Allison Ray
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book picks right back up with the same humor and witty banter the first one left us with. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, and I would highly recommend it if Another Fine Myth left you wanting more. It's an easy read, and you'll be laughing the whole adventure as Skeeve and Aahz find themselves in over their heads, again!
Shaun
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
A good second installment in the series. Much of the same tone and humor as the first book. Maybe not quite enjoyable - the story seemed a bit more forced and there weren't really any new beats in terms of character development or plot. Still, a fun read.
Nenad Pavlović
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
It's cute, idyllic and heartwarming, true, but that doesn't change the fact that it's almost completely devoid of any kind of literary quality. The plot makes no sense too. At least the first part was funny.
Julie
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love the humor of words and situations Asprin uses in this series!! This book was fun and easy to read.
Sue Newberry
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lynda
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gargoyles, Salamanders & Gremlins, oh my! Skeeve has gotten hired as the Court Magician of Possiltum but forgot to find out why they were hiring! Now he has to find help to fight an army.
Charity Fairman
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even better than the first. Vastly entertaining with a lot of subtle and not so subtle humor. Still enjoy the easy flow of the writer's style. Fun characters.
Mark
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
So far I'm really enjoying this series. Just the sort of light, humorous, escapism I need right now.
Kalli Simmerman
Mar 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
Gave the story a shot but even after the first ten pages, I wasn't invested it, the world, or the characters. Even tried browsing other sections but none could entice me to read the entire thing
  • A Night in the Netherhells
  • The Sword and the Chain (Guardians of the Flame, #2)
  • Robert Asprin's Myth-Quoted
  • Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3)
  • Her Majesty's Wizard (Wizard in Rhyme, #1)
  • The Hour of the Gate (Spellsinger, #2)
  • Castle Perilous (Castle Perilous, #1)
  • The Wiz Biz (Wiz, #1-2)
  • The Second Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #2)
Robert (Lynn) Asprin was born in 1946. While he wrote some stand alone novels such as Cold Cash War, Tambu and The Bug Wars and also the Duncan and Mallory Illustrated stories, Bob is best known for his series fantasy, such as the Myth Adventures of Aahz and Skeeve, the Phule’s Company novels and the Time Scout novels written with Linda Evans. He also edited the groundbreaking Thieves’ World antho ...more
More about Robert Lynn Asprin

Myth Adventures (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Another Fine Myth (Myth Adventures, #1)
  • Myth Directions (Myth Adventures, #3)
  • Hit or Myth (Myth Adventures, #4)
  • Myth-ing Persons (Myth Adventures, #5)
  • Little Myth Marker (Myth Adventures, #6)
  • M.Y.T.H. Inc. Link (Myth Adventures, #7)
  • Myth-Nomers and Im-Pervections (Myth Adventures, #8)
  • M.Y.T.H. Inc. in Action (Myth Adventures, #9)
  • Sweet Myth-Tery of Life (Myth Adventures, #10)
  • Myth-ion Improbable (Myth Adventures, #11)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Glittering Court (The Glittering Court, #1)
  • Circe
    $13.99 $4.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Red Wyvern (The Dragon Mage, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Time's Edge (The Chronos Files, #2)
  • Brazen (Gilded #3)
  • Everyone Knows You Go Home
    $5.99 $1.99
  • (R)evolution (Phoenix Horizon #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Girl in the Shadows (Cirque American #2)
  • How to Train Your Dragon
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
“Numerical superiority is of no consequence. In battle, victory will go to the best tactician."- G. A. Custer” 20 likes
“Diplomacy is the delicate weapon of the civilized warrior."- Hun, A. T.” 12 likes