Start by marking “Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #2)” as Want to Read:
Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #2)

Myth Conceptions

(Myth Adventures #2)

After mistakenly being appointed court magician by a regent who should have known better, apprentice mage Skeeve must defend a kingdom from the mightiest invading army in the world.
Published December 27th 2005 by Ace (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Myth Conceptions, please sign up.
Alex H. Prym is a typo away from being Hank Pym, the first Ant-Man and later known as Giant-Man.

Start your review of Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #2)
Evgeny
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Skeeve and Aazh were minding their own business in an inn they ended up owing as a result of the events of the first book. Their leisure time was interrupted by a soldier who brought an invitation to the great and powerful magician Skeeve (ha!) to accept a position of a court magician in a nearby kingdom. As everybody is well aware a government job is the best one there is: it is stable, secure, and usually little or no work is involved; do not let me started on benefits.

Aazh talked Skeeve into
Orient
Sep 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody

The story has quite a similar plot, pace and humor as Another Fine Myth (the most enjoyable thing, Mr. Asprin can give). These books are a comic fun with a touch of fantasy and magic to me. I ran with my hungry eyes and impatient fingers through “Myth Conceptions”. Of course everything is prepared for the show, so I just enjoyed meeting the main characters, some familiar and loved from the first book and some interesting, new ones. To my joy, the Myth world gets bigger, diverse, more interesting
Gavin
Sep 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is the second book in Robert Asprin's lighthearted and fun Myth series of fantasy books. It delivered much the same as the first book. Witty dialogue, action, magic, and likable characters.

Skeeve is invited to try out for the position of court magician by his master Aahz, who claims it will be an easy job. It's not of course, and before long Skeeve finds himself having to defend the whole kingdom against a massive invading army with only the few magical tricks he has mastered so far. Lucky
Stephen
3.5 stars. This is the second book in the Myth Adventures series and, like the first book Another Fine Myth, I really enjoyed it. These books are fun, light reads that are perfect for when you either need a mood pick me up, or maybe just want to be entertained without having to invest too much grey matter at the same time.

In this second installment, Skeeve, an apprentice magician, and his teacher Aahz, a demon from another dimension summoned in the first book by Skeeve's dead master, along with
David Sarkies
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's All Smoke and Mirrors
27 February 2016

Having somewhat enjoyed the first book, when I was around my friend's house in Adelaide (and he was insisting on lending me as many books as possible, despite my protestations at having a huge TBR pile as it is) I decided to grab the next couple in the series just to see how well Asprin writes his sequels. Mind you, I tend to have a fairly low opinion of sequels, namely because Hollywood tends to have this really bad habit of completely ruining them (or
Werner
Mar 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of humorous fantasy
Recommended to Werner by: My wife
Shelves: fantasy, books-i-own
Usually, when I read books that are part of a series, I prefer to start at the beginning. However, my wife picked this second volume of the author's Myth series up at our local flea market, and suggested that we read it together, so I did. While it makes some reference to previous events, and many of the characters have prior history with each other, it can be enjoyed well enough as a stand-alone.

Set in another dimension where magic, or magik, as Asprin spells it here, (strictly of the incantati
Caitlin
“Now that we've got the whole story," he said solemnly, "now you can panic.”

Myth Conceptions is the second of the Myth Adventures books by Robert Asprin and picks up shortly after the events of Another Fine Myth. Apprentice magician Skeeve and his mentor Aazh (along with a unicorn and baby dragon) are happily installed at an inn that they won in a fight. When a messenger shows up to invite Skeeve to apply for a job as the court magician in a local kingdom, Aazh encourages Skeeve to apply for on
Desinka
Sep 22, 2014 rated it liked it
This second installment in the Myth series was a lot of fun. It was again full of witty dialogue and fun happenings. I liked how Skeeve developed and a characters and the way he dealt with the hard situation he was in. I loved the new additions to the team as well as the appearance of some characters from the first book.

Looking forward to starting the next book.

Rating 3.5 stars.
Alex
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The first half of this book slowly sets our heroes up to be backed into what appears to be a no-win situation. The second half gets them out in a spectacularly gleeful fashion. And then backs them into a corner for the inevitable sequel.

Again more jokes I didn’t get the first time around. I read this easily six years before experiencing Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar, so the first time around, I was as lost as Aahz’s audience for his really bad pun related to it. As an adult coming back, I literall
Kristen
Sep 24, 2018 rated it liked it
These are decently fun books for children, and I once dated someone who still adored reading them as an adult, but it really bothers me when an author's vocabulary is so limited that they continually use words like "chortled" in place of "said" several times throughout the book. That's a once per book word, Robert. Pick another.
James
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, humour
What a great way to deal with an invading army. Good banter.
Michael
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young adults, fantasy role-players, Asprin fans
Recommended to Michael by: Seth Klein
Shelves: satire, fantasy
This, the second book in the “Myth Adventures” series, was the first I read as a book (see my review of “Another Fine Myth” for the full explanation thereof). I still had the images from Phil Foglio’s comic books to inform my ideas of the characters, but this was a new story to me. The focus is less on the process of learning magic and more on Skeeve’s developing confidence and a bit of an expansion of our understanding of his world and the other worlds nearby.

The story, once again, pits Skeeve
April Brown
Oct 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen, fantasy
A childhood favorite re-visited.

Is the story as good as I remember? – Yes

What ages would I recommend it too? – Twelve and up. While ten to twelve might enjoy it, there are many ideas they will not understand. Though, they will certainly get many of the jokes.

Length? – Reasonable for an afternoon.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters.

Setting? – Fantasy, alternate dimensions.

Written approximately? – 1980.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – Ready to read more.

Any issues the
Michael Tildsley
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another quick, easy read. I liked this book even more than the first one. The plot was solid. I loved the additional characters that were added. The humor was spot-on and laugh out loud. There was intrigue and suspense.

I read this in less than a day and enjoyed it immensely. I find Mr. Asprin's writing style a breath of fresh air. He does not take himself too seriously, but he knows when to be serious and when to joke. I admire his comedic timing, the wit and speed of his dialogue, and the move
Doris
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, dragons
It has been a while since I read this, but I still recall the Archer and Skeeve's conversation at the battle, where Skeeve built up the Archer's confidence. Then the Archer asked him, if you could do that, why do you need me? The answer was classic, and wonderful advice to and from a managerial type.
Heidi The Reader
Gleep is my favorite character in this series and he has a fairly important scene in this book. Fun, light-hearted fantasy.
diane
Oct 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Silly fun with many moments of hilarity. Still good after all this time. :)
BridgetT
Jan 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, my-books
3.5 stars. I'm enjoying this quirky series.
Nick
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember now why I loved this series when it first came out. In addition to the outrageous and funny stories, the chapter headings, with the "quotations" attached, were a real treat.
The descriptions of this book simply don't do it justice. The idea of Skeeve being "mistakenly" appointed Royal Wizard, for example...um, it's far more complex and funny than that suggests. One of the ongoing plot threads in this series is that nothing should be taken at face value, and another is that any deal you
Brad
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finally got around to this series which I started forever ago, long before ebooks were even an idea. It's comic fantasy along the lines of Terry Pratchett but different. Easy to read/listen to, fun and usually has me enjoying it with a dopey smile on my face. This story sends Skeeve the apprentice magician on another adventure with Aahz the Pervert/Pervect Demon, the voluptuous Tanda and Gleep the dragon along with various other characters, becoming a court magician and attempting to stop a wa ...more
Micaela
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Asprin's Myth books are fun. And they are funny. They are charmingly predictable once you're familiar with the author, but that does not prevent them from being entertaining both to younger and older audiences. I will comment that Skeeve's character development throughout the books is actually one of the more persuading illustrations of "young, arrogant boy becoming a great leader" that I've seen--Asprin does a good job introducing his characters as promising but flawed young people and nurturin ...more
Thomas
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Asprin Robert L. Myth Conceptions. 1981. Myth Adventures No. 2. Ace 2005.
If you like Another Fine Myth, you will find the same pleasures in Myth Conceptions. Of special note is the character of Ajax, the old archer, who always hits what he aims at between naps. I cannot help but believe Terry Pratchett had him in mind when he created Cohen the Barbarian. Asprin is a writer who deserves to be more recognized for his influence on other writers. If you have never read his work, you owe to yourself
Rik
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny, fiction, magic, fantasy
Probably a little better than the first book, maybe because the characters and world are developing. There's quite a clever story going on, interweaving the bizarre characters and the impossible situation, whilst keeping it light and humorous. I thought the chapter sub headings were great little teasers at times, encouraging you to resolve a little puzzle, whilst also being relevant to the chapter.
Stephen
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I usually find the second book in a series to be somewhat disappointing but this one is pretty solid. I've forgotten enough about the Myth series that rereading them makes it all seem new again but the absurdity of the resolution for the war is exactly what I love about this series by Robert Aspirin.
Nenad Pavlović
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
It's cute, idyllic and heartwarming, true, but that doesn't change the fact that it's almost completely devoid of any kind of literary quality. The plot makes no sense too. At least the first part was funny.
Shaun
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
A good second installment in the series. Much of the same tone and humor as the first book. Maybe not quite enjoyable - the story seemed a bit more forced and there weren't really any new beats in terms of character development or plot. Still, a fun read.
Michael Campbell
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
The plot and writing flow a bit better in this installation. There are less zingers, but I felt the first book tried a little too hard to be clever. That can take away from the novel.

It's a funny, clever, short novel and definitely worth the time to read!
David Leemon
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
It starts kind of slow, but by the time Skeeve gets a chance to defeat the invading army (which inconveniently is not given a name), it is a fascinating fight in which, as is typical in a Robert Asprin book, not many people get hurt.
Allison Ray
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book picks right back up with the same humor and witty banter the first one left us with. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, and I would highly recommend it if Another Fine Myth left you wanting more. It's an easy read, and you'll be laughing the whole adventure as Skeeve and Aahz find themselves in over their heads, again!
Chris
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember this book being a quick fun read, but it hasn't aged all that well. What was new and quirky when this book first came out now feels tired and dated because it's been and overdone so many times since.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3)
  • Her Majesty's Wizard (Wizard in Rhyme, #1)
  • The Warlock in Spite of Himself (Warlock, #1)
  • Night Mare (Xanth, #6)
  • Centaur Aisle (Xanth, #4)
  • Crewel Lye: A Caustic Yarn (Xanth #8)
  • On a Pale Horse (Incarnations of Immortality, #1)
  • Being a Green Mother (Incarnations of Immortality, #5)
  • A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth, #1)
  • Wielding a Red Sword (Incarnations of Immortality, #4)
  • The Sword and the Chain (Guardians of the Flame, #2)
  • The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)
  • Ogre, Ogre (Xanth #5)
  • With a Tangled Skein (Incarnations of Immortality, #3)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)
  • Dragon on a Pedestal (Xanth, #7)
  • Wizard at Large (Magic Kingdom of Landover #3)
  • Gamified - Book One: Beastmaster
Robert (Lynn) Asprin was born in 1946. While he wrote some stand alone novels such as Cold Cash War, Tambu and The Bug Wars and also the Duncan and Mallory Illustrated stories, Bob is best known for his series fantasy, such as the Myth Adventures of Aahz and Skeeve, the Phule’s Company novels and the Time Scout novels written with Linda Evans. He also edited the groundbreaking Thieves’ World antho ...more

Myth Adventures (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Another Fine Myth (Myth Adventures, #1)
  • Myth Directions (Myth Adventures, #3)
  • Hit or Myth (Myth Adventures, #4)
  • Myth-ing Persons (Myth Adventures, #5)
  • Little Myth Marker (Myth Adventures, #6)
  • M.Y.T.H. Inc. Link (Myth Adventures, #7)
  • Myth-Nomers and Im-Pervections (Myth Adventures, #8)
  • M.Y.T.H. Inc. in Action (Myth Adventures, #9)
  • Sweet Myth-Tery of Life (Myth Adventures, #10)
  • Myth-ion Improbable (Myth Adventures, #11)