Start by marking “The Witch Of Prague & Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Witch Of Prague & Other Stories

The Witch Of Prague & Other Stories

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  154 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
As I fell the thing sprang across me and seemed to throw itself upon the captain. When I last saw him on his feet his face was white and his lips set. It seemed to me that he struck a violent blow at the dead being, and then he, too, fell forward upon his face, with an inarticulate cry of horror'. This unique collection contains all the supernatural works of the prolific F ...more
Published July 5th 2008 by Wordsworth Editions (first published 1891)

To ask other readers questions about The Witch Of Prague & Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witch Of Prague & Other Stories

El
There have been a lot of great character names throughout literary history like Undine Spragg from Edith Wharton's The Custom of the Country. I say this because I thought of the name Undine the entire time I read this book because in this book we meet Unorna, and that's just fantastic.

I read this book for my spooky reads of October (though am just a smidge behind on my reviews...), and I'm so glad to finally get around to it. I knew going into it that it would take place in Prague (because the w
F.R.
Jul 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Do you want some really good horror stories?

Well, presuming for just a moment that you want horror stories, then obviously you’re going to prefer really good ones to rubbish ones, aren’t you? And that being the case, then I have the man for you.

F. Marion Crawford was apparently a successful writer in his lifetime, but has slipped into neglect since his death. That is a real shame, as based on this volume his short supernatural fiction is a match for anybody else’s.

We have here ‘The Screaming Sku
Mel
This was a fantastic book, possibly the best I've read so far in this series, though there is a lot of stiff competition. The Witch of Prague is a supernatural story unlike any I've ever read before. It starts in a crowded church but then the streets become deserted and there are only 8 people within the book. The characters are amazing, wonderfully described almost archetypes in their grandness. A story of love and obsession, the search for eternal life, the nature of magic and hypnotism. It'd ...more
Betty
Feb 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Man searches world for the woman he loves, gets to Prague and falls under the spell of a hypnotist/witch. Truth and good finally prevail.
Tonk82
Dec 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, propio
F. Marion crawford fue un escritor muy popular en su época, sobre todo por sus novelas históricas. A día de hoy hay algunas de ellas publicadas, pero gran parte del interés que despierta es por sus relatos sobrenaturales.

-The screaming skull - ***** -> Es un relato muy curioso. Está narrado en 2ª persona, como si el narrador estuviese sentado frente a nosotros y fuésemos amigos desde hace mucho tiempo. Los hechos que nos narra tiene que ver con los antiguos inquilinos de la casa donde ocurre
Megan
Oct 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: atw-in-80-books
This review is for the novel, not the anthology of short stories it must at times be included in. I only have a copy of the title feature.

The Witch of Prague was certainly an interesting story. The main storyline with its supernatural elements was good, but so too was the secondary plot, that being Keyork Arabian and his quest for immortality. The latter I think was left a little incomplete, unless I just missed it in the reading. I found the narrative to be long-winded and, at times, excessive
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Jan 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
The rating is for Crawford's horror short stories, included in this volume, and not for the rather melodramatic late-gothic title novel.
Jo
Oct 17, 2009 rated it liked it
A collection of supernatural short stories plus the full length novel 'The Witch of Prague'. Very gothic and atmospheric.
Alexander
Aug 01, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I tried, man. I wanted to give this a shot. But when the Wanderer is going through a street in Prague and I'm hit with this huge wall of text philosophising about love and suffering and bit players in the Iliad and Shakespeare and the thread of whatever point was being made has been utterly lost in all the purple prose.

Do not read the Witch of Prague. Maybe see if Wikipedia has a synopsis instead.
Steve Maddux
Copiousness

Well, I've read it, and I believe I can say I enjoyed it. Particularly interesting, one could say, for 1) what a late nineteenth-century writer might have imagined hypnotism capable of, and 2) a tourist's view of Prague in the same period ("Winter in Prague is but one long, melancholy dream"). —I believe I can say fairly that the two wicked characters ("Unorma" and "Keyork Arabian") are considerably more interesting than the two upstanding characters. —The experience of reading this b
Ameera Talal
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
"..her love had saved her."

This book was the first of its kind for me, not only was it a tale, but somehow a poem as well. A poem about passion, whether it is a passion for love or life or immortality or even for the past, it masturfully displayed how such a fierce passion is utterly unstoppable even in the face of the most difficult of obstacles.

This tale was dreamy and rich with description, which sometimes I skipped several paragraphs of it to be honest, but this descriptive nature gave it an
P Dreadful
I could not finish the novel, The Witch of Prague. The reasons are:
1. Unorna acts like a school-girl when she is with the Wanderer. One expects a hypnotist to have a tremendous amount of willpower, does one not? How does one explain Unorna's loss of control then?
2. Keyork Arabian (I, for some reason, disliked the name immensely) and his long monologues about love, life and other things was interesting at first, but I soon grew tired of it.
Sharon Barrow Wilfong
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lots of ghost stories, some scarier than others. My favorites were "For the Blood is the Life", a very creepy vampire story and "The Upper Berth", a suspenseful ghost story that takes place on a ship.

"The Witch of Prague" was a little long and very "Romantic" in its style. Lots of description of a man's obsessive love for a mysterious woman with unearthly beauty.
Jim
Dec 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I found an original 1892 edition of this book at a yard sale for 50¢ and thought I would give it a go. I thoroughly enjoyed the story and was captivated the whole time. One of the best reads I have had in a long time.
Kit
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: recentlyread
The short story "Man Overboard" is great and a few others such as "The Doll's Ghost" are worth reading. The novel The Witch of Prague has a fascinating story but is marred by overripe prose, cartoonish characters, pretentious philosophizing, and wild anti-Semitism.
Sara
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The note I left myself after reading this is: not to my taste, really.
Velvetink
Jul 03, 2013 marked it as to-read
kindle cloud
Jessica
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
the short stories are good, but "the witch of Prague," which takes up over 3/4 of the book, is not good.
Dighina Chilson
Oct 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
Did not even finish. :(
Dean Madonia
Jan 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: scanned
This is a pretty good collection of horror stories, many of them nautically-based. They are "old-school" horror stories which of course is natural since the book is old.
Carol Spears
This was one of those very very descriptive books. Not a bad tale, but a lot of words in the telling.
CS Park
Amber Adamchuk
May 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Terror by Night: Classic Ghost & Horror Stories
  • The Bishop of Hell and Other Stories (Mystery & Supernatural)
  • The Dead of Night
  • Brood of the Witch-Queen
  • Songs of a Dead Dreamer
  • Tales Of The Uncanny And Supernatural
  • Children of the Night: Classic Vampire Stories
Francis Marion Crawford (1854-1909) was an American writer noted for his many novels. He was born at Bagni di Lucca, Italy. In 1879 he went to India, where he studied Sanskrit and edited the Allahabad Indian Herald. Returning to America he continued to study Sanskrit at Harvard University for a year, contributed to various periodicals, and in 1882 produced his first novel, Mr Isaacs. This book had ...more
More about Francis Marion Crawford...