Start by marking “Very Valentine (Valentine, #1)” as Want to Read:
Very Valentine (Valentine, #1)

Very Valentine

(Valentine #1)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  16,281 ratings  ·  1,885 reviews
Sex and the City meets Moonstruck….Sly, sensual, and dripping in style.”
People

Poignant, funny, warm, and red hot, Very Valentine is a wonderful treat for Adriana Trigiani fans—a “delightful” (Boston Globe), “romance-soaked novel” (Marie Claire) from much adored playwright, screenwriter, documentary filmmaker, and New York Times bestselling author of Lucia, Lucia; Rococo;
Published February 3rd 2009 by Harper (first published January 31st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Very Valentine, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sarah I think Mike is talking about her father, she's speaking to Teodora rather than Valentine so it seems like her husband wasn't quietly shuffled off as…moreI think Mike is talking about her father, she's speaking to Teodora rather than Valentine so it seems like her husband wasn't quietly shuffled off as he was present when Dominic proposed.(less)

·  16,281 ratings  ·  1,885 reviews

Anne
Jun 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
Very Valentine is my personal definition of a Boring Book.
The entire story could have been told in 75 pages. Maybe 50. NO, I'm not kidding.
I'm sure some people enjoy endless descriptions of clothes, shoes, flowers, smells, more clothes, belts, hairstyles, hair colors, hairpins, food, more food, how to cook said food, what kind of shoes the person who was cooking the food wore, what the inside (and outside) of every @$*!ing building looked like, the history of every building Valentine went into.
LadyCalico
Jan 17, 2010 rated it it was ok
I've got two real big bad bones to pick with this book. Bone 1: In Rococo, Ms. Trigiana seems to have made an extremely unfortunate change in writing style, moving away from great heart-and-soul character portrayals and relationships into very detailed descriptions of stuff. In Very Valentine this disease of Descriptomania gets way worse and not only fails to advance the story, but bogs it down utterly. Now a description here and there of a view or outfit might add something to the atmosphere of ...more
Feb 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
I checked this out when I was sick a week or so ago--just wanted a light, easy read. But I found Very Valentine to drag. It was so bogged down in details that I found to be totally superfluous. (Not the shoemaking details--those were interesting, but in all the other little things Trigiana takes pains to describe.) The chemistry between the main character and her beau was also nonexistant for me. It seemed like a superficial, flighty relationship that I couldn't buy into. I ended up skimming thi ...more
Mainon
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
I freely admit that I probably picked this book for the wrong reasons. (1) it was Valentine's Day, and this book has the word Valentine in the title! (2) the author offered a walking tour in Manhattan on one of the sites I visit, which I thought was pretty cool. (3) The main character makes custom wedding shoes, and if you follow my reviews, you've probably noticed that in the months leading up to my wedding I'm a bit of a sucker for books related to weddings, however tangentially.

All of that s
Kaye
Dec 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The sign over the shop used to say Angelini Shoes, Greenwich Village since 1903, but after years of weathering , it now says Angel Shoes. This is the setting for much of this heart-warming story and the inspiration for a new endeavor. Valentine and her 80 year old grandmother, Teodora Angelini, in the family tradition are custom makers of wedding shoes. When Teodora tells her granddaughter, Valentine, that things are not too good financially, she is shocked. Valentine had thought things would go ...more
Cory
Mar 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
On the surface, it seems like I would like this book about an Italian-American woman learning the family shoemaking business and looking for love. However, it just wasn't my kind of book. There was too much detail about clothing and room decor--I don't really care that the eldest daughter was wearing a cream wool pencil skirt, a cream cashmere cardigan, pearls, silver bangles on her wrist, and a cream embossed leather shoe with black piping on the vamp. Don't care! The similies and metaphors als ...more
Denise
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.0 out of 5 stars - Made me crave Italian food and want some new, custom-made shoes!

This first novel in a trilogy introduces us to Valentine Roncalli and her large Italian-American clan. Valentine, single and 33 years old, is an apprentice to her master shoemaker grandmother in a family business that was established in Greenwich Village in 1903 by her now deceased grandfather. Their passion and livlihood, the Angelini Shoe Company, is known for creating custon made exquisite wedding shoes.

This
Sarah Beth
Feb 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
Adriana Trigiani is a favorite writer of mine. But I really felt Very valentine fell short. I normally enjoy the painting of a scene by an author. It brings me into the scene and makes feel part of the book. But her minute detail description of every little thing just made me think, "get to the point already." Maybe I was just an impatient reader this time but the entire story of the book could have been told in under 50 pages sans the flowery descriptions ... I wanted more depth. I never really ...more
Donna
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: women-s-fiction
This was a light and fluffy read. I picked it up because it is almost Valentine's Day, but it had nothing to do about the holiday. It was all about an unmarried Italian girl, named Valentine.

There were two main things I liked. I liked the story line. Valentine is a the granddaughter of a shoemaker and follows along into the family business, which it turns out she is good at it. I loved the family relationships. Cassandra Campbell did the audio narration and she did a great job. I loved her diff
Rose
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Although I might have put this in the “chick lit” category, I was pleasantly surprised that it became a good book for book club discussion.
Multi-generational women and how they dealt with life, work and family made for great topics because our group could relate to these issues.
Valentine’s dilemma is how to continue tradition while trying to thrive in the contemporary business world, while trying to have a personal life.
This was a perfect fit in terms of the stress-free reading.
Jeane
Jan 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: planned-2012, usa
Happy energy. The feeling you get that makes you realize you feel happy and knowing the reason that makes you feel happy. That's what I had while reading this book. This i my second or third Trigiani book. the first being Lucia, Lucia.
Adriana Trigiani's books are always about Italian Americans, the mix of being American and having the Italian traditions in the family.
In Very Valentine this is told really nicely and energetic, bringing out all the beauty which I think something linked to Italy ca
Susie
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Pro: The seniors in my book group enjoyed reading this book and are interested in continuing the trilogy, along with reading other titles by Trigiani.

Con: Having not come from a large Italian family and having less than zero interest in high fashion designers and culture, I found very little to hold my interest in this novel. Along with that, the majority of the men in the book end up cheating on their spouses/significant others and the women have a "boys will be boys" attitude toward the indis
Scott
Feb 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
First, let me state that I loved Lucia, Lucia when it came out. I think that Ms. Trigiani writes the best stories about Italian American families in the U.S. They are quite charming, honest, and often a one-sit read.

Very Valentine, is about a thirty-something year old woman who has been apprenticing the shoe business from her grandmother. She has learned much but gets the ultimate education when she learns that the business is not very solid and her grandmother has used the building where they w
Julie
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Trigiani is one of my favorite authors! Her writing is so beautiful. "Sensual" is the perfect word to describe how she writes about everything from what's cooking on the stove to the view of the ocean on Capri to how leather is cut for a shoe. The continuing saga of an Italian American family who own the Angelini Shoe company in New York. Romance (clean), family relationships across generations, characters you fall in love with - I didn't want it to end and I'm moving directly on to the sequel!
Mary
Feb 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable characters and interesting information on how hand made shoes are crafted.
I want to go to Capri now !
Licinia
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leituras-2017
O dito "Romance de cordel" com pretensões a ser um pouco mais, e de alguma forma conseguido, visto que sai um pouco dos parâmetros do romance cor de rosa. Na minha opinião a autora faz muitas descrições detalhadas e vastas sem necessidade para a história.
Yvonne
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this story!!!
Colleen
May 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! Valentine is a dynamic protagonist - she is pushed to taking her family business into the current century by financial pressures but then learns she has a real head for business and a true passion for the artistry of the craft of custom shoe design. I found myself rooting for her from the start whether in her struggles with the business or her relationship with the complicated and ambitious Roman Falconi. When she traveled to Italy (a dream of mine!) and observed ho ...more
JanB
Mar 21, 2009 rated it did not like it
I am a fan of the Big Stone Gap series as well as some of her stand-alones and so I high hopes for this one. What a disappointment. The excessive attention to superfluous detail made me want to scream. I had heard that the book was very descriptive but I had no idea of the extent.

Do I really need to know what every character in every scene is wearing? I was subjected in mind-numbing detail about everything I never wanted to know about the outfits these characters wore throughout the book. Do I
Susan Dodd
Jan 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read! I'm almost done. Adriana Trigiani is an amazing writer. Always based around Italy/Italians/Italian/Family food and cooking. I can't wait to visit Italy one day and can't stop thinking about it since I've been reading this book. Not to mention all the Italian food I'm craving!
Oh, and did I mention the shoes! Valentine, the main character, is a 34 year old shoe maker - custom wedding shoes in a family business. Adriana uses some amazing descriptions of the shoes, materials that ar
Kathy
Sep 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
I learned that there is actually a custom-made wedding shoe industry. I had to look it up on the internet to be sure. I could not picture all the glitz, glamour, and bling that this book describes. I even took my computer to library book club to show them some of the pictures. The story line is about Valentine, a 30+ single woman who is "married to" the family shoe making business run by her grandmother. There are love interests in the lives of both women. The clothes people wear are described a ...more
Cheryl
Aug 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
Valentine Roncalli is part of a large, close-knit Italian American family. She quits her teaching job to become her grandmother’s apprentice and partner in the family’s Angelini Shoe Company. Makers of custom made wedding shoes, the company was founded in 1903 by her grandfather. However, Valentine soon learns that the company is experiencing serious financial problems. It’s up to Valentine to attempt to guide the company into the 21st century while also juggling family issues and the romantic a ...more
Mandy
Feb 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
A very fun read. I loved the realtionship between Valentine and her grandmother, it made me miss my grndma so much though! Adriana has a fun and unique voice as a writer, and I liked her unconventional heroine, Valentine. I also liked that this romance wasn't quite what I'd expected and left me wanting to read more about Valentine and her adventures. This book also left me with an unsatiable hunger for pasta, new shoes, and a trip to Italy.
Natalie
Feb 22, 2009 rated it liked it
I was excited to read this book because I always wished I was Italian. haha. Seriously. I enjoy that the setting is in NY, it makes me want to go visit. I enjoyed this book but I'm not sure I loved the ending.
Carol Storm
Dec 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
Did you know there's more to the Italian-American experience than The Godfather and The Sopranos? There's also third-rate chick lit and nauseating sentimentality!

Tara
Feb 04, 2010 added it
I couldn't get into it so I stopped reading it. Next!
Sandra Sandifur
Aug 15, 2009 rated it it was ok
More than I wanted to know about making shoes.
Vya
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 19-voor-2019, dnf
DNF on pg 186

When I picked up this book, I thought I was in for a delicious romance with a funny and feisty Italian dame. Unfortunately this book is anything but. It's a super slow story, stuffed with too much unnecessary description, has non existing romance, and even though it tries to be funny sometimes, it's not.

I kept waiting for it to get better, but it didn't. Life is too short and there are many great books out there I still want to read, so I decided to ditch this one.
Paula
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Valentine lives with her grandmother in a very old building that her Gram and grandfather bought in 1903 to make custom shoes. Her grandfather has been gone for 10 years and Valentine is apprenticing to take over the business.

I loved the narration by Cassandra Campbell, and enjoyed all the family episodes. It was like a get together of my own Italian family. It did get a bit descriptive at times but I enjoyed the story very much and have already gotten the second audio to listen to.
Pari
Oh how I loved this book. The description of the shoes and the clothes and the air made me feel like I was actually there.
Only downer for me is the lack of well connected dialogues. They seemed detached to the character, but otherwise, everything else was sweet and amazing.
This was just the kind of book I needed after four back-to-back reread of The Mortal instruments series. It was enchanting and welcoming and very Valentine.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 May 07, 2017 03:12PM
Cranbury Public L...: Oct. 4 -Very Valentine by Adriana Trigiani 2 3 Sep 22, 2016 12:11PM
Happy Valentines Day 1 4 Dec 22, 2015 04:54AM
Round Lake Librar...: Romance book 1 5 Oct 14, 2013 04:57AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Very Valentine 1 3 Mar 08, 2012 06:47AM
  • Bunco Babes Tell All
  • The Kinsella Sisters (Lissamore, #1)
  • The Accidental Virgin
  • Italian for Beginners
  • The Laws of Harmony
  • Leave It to Cleavage
  • The Fixer Upper
Adriana Trigiani's latest novel, Tony’s Wife, is on sale now!

Adriana Trigiani is beloved by millions of readers around the world for her bestselling novels. She wrote the blockbuster The Shoemaker’s Wife, the Big Stone Gap series, the Valentine trilogy and Lucia, Lucia. She is published in 35 countries around the world. Her recent novel, Kiss Carlo, was an instant bestseller of The New York Times,

Valentine (3 books)
  • Brava, Valentine
  • The Supreme Macaroni Company
“That's when you know for sure somebody loves you. They figure out what you need and they give it to you -- without you asking.” 564 likes
“Mom, how do you know if the guy is the guy?”

You mean if he’ll be a good husband?” She pauses, then says “The ticket is for the man to love the woman more than she loves him.”

Shouldn’t it be equal?”

Mom cackles. “It can never be equal.”

But what if the woman loves the man more?”

A life of hell awaits her. As women, the deck is stacked against us because time is our enemy. We age, while men season. And trust me, there are plenty of women out there looking for a man, and they don’t mind staking a claim on somebody else’s husband, no matter how old, creaky, and deaf they are.”
228 likes