Start by marking “River of Bones” as Want to Read:
River of Bones

River of Bones

(Destroyermen #13)

The crew of a WWII destroyer face their greatest challenge yet as they try to survive in a strange new world in the next thrilling book in the New York Times bestselling series.

Commander Matt Reddy and his crew are afraid it may finally be the end of the USS Walker. Ever since their ship was transported to another world, and they became embroiled in a deadly conflict betwe
Published July 10th 2018 by Ace Books

To ask other readers questions about River of Bones, please sign up.
G A Advance copies are sometimes sent to people in the industry for comment & evaluation. Usually these re established authors, publishers &…moreAdvance copies are sometimes sent to people in the industry for comment & evaluation. Usually these re established authors, publishers & critics.(less)

Donna
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
Again, this series has been a solid 4 stars for me. Even though this is the 13th book in this series, I am still enjoying them. I have loved the audios. They are fun and entertaining. However, even with that said, they are beginning to slow down. There hasn't been as much character progression in the last couple of books and the only new thing is the next battle. I'll still read them because they are fun, but I hope the book coming out next year shakes things up a little bit.
Wess Rodgers
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It has been a long, hard war, fought on many fronts, in many strange lands. Some of the characters are getting tired and worn out. This is NOT to say they are getting old or stale to the reader! Taylor Anderson has done a masterful job of presenting the development of probably hundreds of characters and almost three years of continuous combat and earth-shaking societal changes, but in “River of Bones,” he has done more.

Those characters he so meticulously developed, grew, educated, and trained a
Daniel Shellenbarger
The Plot: (fairly minor spoilers for this book, though if you haven't caught up on the series, WATCH OUT!)
Since the reptilian Grik were driven back from Balkpaan, their leaders, with the assistance of the Japanese under the late unlamented Captain Kurokawa, have been preparing a new "Final" Swarm to defeat the Allies, an army of Grik capable of enduring defeat, setbacks, and tactical confusion, an army taught not just to advance and maul, but to maneuver, to employ machinery, to defend, and to a
John Purvis
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"River of Bones" eBook was published in 2018 (July) and was written by Taylor Anderson (http://taylorandersonauthor.com). Mr. Anderson has published thirteen novels, all in his "Destroyermen" series.

I received an ARC of this novel through https://www.netgalley.com in return for a fair and honest review. I categorize this novel as ‘R’ because it contains scenes of Violence. The story is set in an alternate universe. Commander Matt Reddy and the crew of the World War II era destroyer USS Walker h
Andreas
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After taking and holding Madagascar in Deadly Shores (IX) and Straits of Hell (X), and conclusively dealing with Kurokawa in Devil's Due (XII) the Alliance is preparing to finally land in Africa. It is a race against time, as Grik leader Esshk has been able to breed, train and equip his "Final Swarm" in only a few years, and is planning a breakout along the Zambezi River. If the Final Swarm reaches the ocean and manages to scatter, the rapid breeding of the Grik will eventually create an almost ...more
Kathy Davie
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thirteenth in the Destroyermen military science fiction series in an alternate world and revolving around the Grand Alliance inspired by an old warship from WWII. The focus is in keeping the Grik Swarm from spreading out into the world.

My Take
It's been a long war between the Grand Alliance and the Grik, and both sides have learned from the other. It's been a few years of growth for both sides. Even Shinya learns!

It's fascinating to see the changes in the Grik as Esshk changes perceptions. First
Charles  van Buren
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The interminable world war continues

If you have been reading this series from the beginning and have been enjoying it, then you will probably like this volume as well. In broad terms it is more of the same but with some new twists. If you thought that the Japanese were finished, well.... It seems that in this series, no enemy is ever completely finished. Mr. Anderson had now added enough new twists to keep this war and this series in business for the foreseeable future.

If you are new to the seri
Joe Ricca
Don't let my 3-star rating fool you. Taylor Andreson's Destroyermen series is epic. My reason for the 3 stars is all the filler, which really amounts to always reminding us with a page or so who the characters are. I know who the characters are and I simply skim over these asides, because what Taylor does so well is writing battle scenes and internal dilemma. I find myself sitting up and holding my breath whenever a full-scale battle is underway. The growth of a species from a murdering unthinki ...more
Margaret
Really enjoyed this latest Destroyermen book, as always!

Author Taylor Anderson keeps SO many balls in the air at the same time!

It feels like World War II (before my time, of course) coverage when the Point-Of-View (POV) skips between each of the MANY fronts of the Grik/Dominion/League war and catches you up on each regarding not only what the Allied forces are doing but also some of what the enemy forces are doing!

What made this book so good is that I'm rooting for ALL of the Allied forces! Ther
RJ
With the defeat and elimination of Kurokawa at Zanzibar, Grik First General and Regent Champion Eshe has decided to launch the final Swarm, which he has been building at Sofeshk. In order to break into the open sea, the Grik must first travel down the Zambezi River. The allied fleet is recuperating from Zanzibar. There are only two allied ships operating close enough to attempt any action at blocking the river with Grik derelicts; these are the Santa Catalina, basically an armed freighter, and A ...more
Bob
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robin
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
This book continues the story of the Destroyer men. There is a return to action that was missing in a few of the more recent books. However, the story focuses mainly on the beginning of the invasion of the Grik capital city and the triumphant stand of the Santa Catalina on the Zambezi River.

There is a small amount of the other battlefronts, but not enough to get a sense of how those fronts are progressing. I am expecting that some of the next titles will focus more on the battle against the Dom
Terje Fokstuen
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ryan Rauber
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
13th book in the Destroymen series, which is a nice mix of sci-fi, alternate reality, and WW2. In this series, the USS Walker, a Destroyer, is swept up by a freak storm and emerges into an alternate Earth, where the lizard-like Grik and cat-like Lemurians are fighting a never-ending battle for ultimate survival.

In this entry, though there are brief updates of the war in the East, the center of action takes place in the West, on the Zambezi River, where the Grik plan their ultimate final push ag
stormin
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, alt-history
River of Bones is the 13th book in the Destroyermen series. What can I say that I haven't said before? We're at thirteen books and still going strong. I'm not getting bored and I'm not getting anxious for the end either. It's amazing that Taylor Anderson has kept this thing going so long, but he has, and it's still going strong.

I bought the first book (a fresh copy) and sent it to my dad. I imagine I'll be buying and sending a few more copies to friends and family in the coming years. This serie
Marv
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Anderson brings us another exciting installment in the worldwide conflict that the Destroyermen are experiencing on an alternate earth. The elements of intrigue are deepening. Some enemies are defecting to the Allied cause, while others are plotting their own intrigues. The Allies are winning, but is that only temporary? The enemy is getting smarter, and their hardware is getting better. The battles are getting more desperate, if that's possible. There is an opening battle and an epic closing ba ...more
Jaye
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As this book opens, the reptilian Grik are assembling the largest swarm ever to cross the strait and retake the Grik capital on Madagascar. Unfortunately for the Alliance, nearly all of their most powerful units are out of position, and only the converted cargo ship Santa Catalina can reach the Zambezi River in time to cut them off. Santy Cat's last stand buys time for Captain Reddy and his compatriots to get in and finish the job. On the other side of the world, the Dominion makes a pact with t ...more
Brandt Anderson
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 in all honesty. For the past 5-6 books the author has equally split the focus of the books between two theaters of war. While this has kept the readers up to date on what is happening it also slowed things down where not much is accomplished. This has been my only serious grip but the author changed it so the primary focus was on one part of the war. I'm glad he did. Definitely feels like a lot was accomplished in this book. Can't wait for the next one.
Gary Weinman
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though there are parts of this series that are completely ridiculous, I will continue to buy each and every book as I really enjoy them. This book partially dealt with the Dominion, but was really Grik based (which I prefer). They did set things up and it looks like the next book will be a flip and focus more on the Dominion. I won't say who, but they did kill off a character which was kind of sad, but I know I saw it coming.
Michael Davey
I liked it but found it dragging a bit more than his usual. The reality is I'm not big on really long series and I think this series is beginning to drag. The problem is it's mostly the same characters getting themselves into pickles against the same enemies. It's hard for a writer to keep this sort of series interesting.
Mayank GO
Good continuation to the story, but over last couple of books, it's starting to feel dragged out.

Compared to the previous books, lot less happened, and many central characters seem to be ignored. I am now in two minds about continuing this series. Will take a break and see if I am motivated enough to pick up the next one.
James
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review here:

I enjoy this series, even if it does suffer from an abundance of technical naval jargon and a lack of George R. R. Martin character control.
Ross
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series

The author is truly a grinder as every summer a new book in this series comes out. Every July a gift is delivered and I quickly devour the new offering. Do yourself a favor and read this entire series, so much fun, so enjoyable.
Nathan
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good enough yarn, but after reading 13 in a row the repetition is getting to me. I will read the next one when it comes out, but it was with a slight sense of relief I finished this volume, so I can read other authors/genres for a refreshing change...
Warren
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thrilling

One can assume that the good guys will win, but how and who will be lost. The WALKER keeps floating and remains a talisman for the allies. The League is coming around. I see the Grim and Doms in for a world of hurt.
Bc27
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Better and Better

With each new book not only does the plot thicken it has grown to encompass the known world or at least this version of the known world. I try to ration my daily reading to make the experience last longer but I fail each time! Huzzah, Huzzah
Sarah Shields
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
I have really liked every book in this series so far, but I felt like this one didn't really progress the story or add as much as in previous books. It was still good, but I was just hoping for a bit more. I'm looking forward to the next book already!
Kevin P
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read, but like the last offering skewed more towards the conflict in South America, this one skewed more towards Africa. It should almost be two series at this point.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with all the develepments that have occured.
Kei
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still loving...

... This world, and Anderson's capacity to juggle so man characters and fronts so adroitly.

The evolution of the Grik, the League coming further forward...
... Definitely looking forward to seeing what is next.
Drag0n
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gave it 4 stars but really more of 3.5

• Fateful Lightning (Lost Regiment #4)
  • 1636: Commander Cantrell in the West Indies (Assiti Shards, #18)
  • The Enceladus Crisis (Daedalus #2)
  • Arabella and the Battle of Venus (Adventures of Arabella Ashby #2)
  • Raising Caine (Tales of the Terran Republic, #3)
  • Stalin's Hammer: Paris (Axis of Time, #6)
  • Lee at the Alamo
  • The View from the Imperium (Imperium, #1)
  • 1635: Music and Murder (1632 Universe)
  • 1636: The Chronicles of Dr. Gribbleflotz

Destroyermen (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Into the Storm (Destroyermen, #1)
  • Crusade (Destroyermen, #2)
  • Maelstrom (Destroyermen, #3)
  • Distant Thunders (Destroyermen, #4)
  • Rising Tides (Destroyermen, #5)
  • Firestorm (Destroyermen, #6)
  • Iron Gray Sea (Destroyermen, #7)
  • Storm Surge (Destroyermen, #8)
  • Deadly Shores (Destroyermen, #9)
  • Straits of Hell (Destroyermen, #10)