Start by marking “Death Notice” as Want to Read:
Death Notice

Death Notice

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  385 Ratings  ·  95 Reviews
An elite police squad hunts a manipulative mastermind out to publically execute criminals the law cannot reach. A wild thriller and deadly game of cat-and-mouse from one of China's most popular authors. For fans of Jo Nesbo, Se7en, and Hong Kong police cinema.

The brutal murder of respected police officer Sergeant Zheng Haoming sends shock waves through Chengdu, a modern m
Published June 5th 2018 by Doubleday Books (first published 2014)

Richard
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Please note my review is based solely on a sample of these incredible novel.
This is a Chinese police crime thriller with a brilliant premise and an ingenious plot.
18 years before the main thrust of this story set in 2002. On 18th April 1984 a most unusual murderer literally announced themselves on the nation. Through two separate death notices they gave their intent to execute two police officers for crimes committed.
The notices in an strange and somewhat crafted scripted were signed Eumenides.
sanny
死亡通知单 (Death Notice)
More suited as a screen adaptation than as a book. Indeed, it had been made into a web tv serial and as of now season 3 is in the works.

Main crew montage. Maybe I'll check the series out if it's accessible for free

So basically, some self-proclaimed harbinger of justice going by the codename Eumenides (aka the Furies from Greek mythology) saw themselves fit to mete out death as punishment to criminals who had escaped through cracks in the legal system. Eumenides first appeared
Skip
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A sadistic vigilante killer returns after an 18-year hiatus. In the distant past, the aptly-named Eumenides (Greek goddess of retribution) killed a high ranking corrupt policeman and two police cadets. Now, another senior police officer is murdered and Eumenides identifies his intended victims with death notices. The 4/18 task force is reassembled in Chengdu with Officer Pei, who had a close connection with the two cadets and is still haunted by their deaths. Eumenides toys with the police, puni ...more
Elaine Tomasso
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Netgalley and Heads of Zeus for an advance copy of Death Notice, the first novel in a trilogy, set in Chengdu, China.

18 years ago a killer calling himself Eumenides killed a high ranking police officer and two trainees in two separate incidents. Now Eumenides is back, first killing Sergeant Zheng Haoming who was part of the original 4/18 task force and is hot on his trail, then using the dark net to canvass for potential targets, those who have escaped justice through power
Jessica Woodbury
After the first few chapters I was skeptical. This was a thriller heavy on tropes, the characters felt one-dimensional, and I wasn't sure I would stick it out. But the thing about a thriller is that sometimes it doesn't need to be a complex character study. A thriller is about the thrills. And at the end of the day, that's what it needs to deliver more than anything else. DEATH NOTICE has no shortage of thrills and in the end it delivered.

The killer at the center of the story is a vigilante exac
Marina Sofia
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
It may bring out all the thrillerish cliches, but it's a compulsive read - that can't be denied! Race against the clock, a criminal playing games with the elite squad and an atmosphere you would never have believed possible in China.
Jo Cameron-Symes
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've read this year so far! It is very well translated. Absolutely fantastic premise of the intended victims receiving a death notice of when they will be killed but by whom and how? The story is multi layered and quite complex. This is definitely a highbrow thriller. It reminded me of a modern day Sherlock Holmes story, the villain certainly has shades of Moriarty! One of the scenes in particular is just brilliantly conveyed. This is a very clever book and I loved it!
Roy
Aug 13, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5*This was more fun than i was expecting. It read more like a screenplay than a novel. I wouldve like the pace to be a little slower so we could appreciate more of the Chinese history/setting. I didnt really feel that engaged with the characters and its a bit sad to say but wasnt too worried if any of the main detectives perished. Will hold off on reading book 2 as it purely depends on the translator. The dialogue was quite cliched and direct, not sure if this was the translation.
David Doel
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you enjoy a good mystery and don't mind a little blood, I think you will love this book. It is the first of a trilogy and I'll definitely be looking for the next installment. The author is Chinese so it was translated. No problem with the translation; but remembering Chinese names (which often sound alike) can be a challenge for a Kentucky boy. But read it anyway (and keep a list if you need to).

The story is compelling, the clues are there and the solution is convincing. The epilog lets you k
OutlawPoet
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh, this was thrilling!

I loved the Chengdu setting and getting to know our characters.

Readers should note that the book does get quite gruesome in parts, but it's also a fascinating cat and mouse game as we join the police in tracking down a deadly vigilante killer.

I did figure out part of the truth early on, but that didn't hamper my enjoyment of the book. And, besides - there were more surprises ahead!

This is the first book in the series and I can't wait for the next book. I'm fully on board f
Ami Kopstein
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The art of subterfuge vigilante justice.

As detective / crime stories go this one is a gem. One scheme after another challenges the imagination to conjure what will happen next.
Looking forward to rest of the trilogy.
Rhonda Lomazow
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So so tense twists turns a could not put down thriller.Highly recommend.Thanks#netgalley #Doubleday
Anna
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
An amazing page turner. Already scouring the internet for when part 2 will be translated.
Viva
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The first 10 pages of the book were a bit hard to follow as (I surmised correctly that) it was a translated book but once I got into the rhythm of the writing I got into the story easily and it became hard to put down.

This is a book based in Chengdu, China, written by one of the top Chinese mystery authors. The story follows a task force of top cops put together to catch a vigilante killer with ties to an event from 18 years ago.

What I liked about it: The book is very fast paced and sticks to
Audrey
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

A fun and gripping cat and mouse mystery set in Chengdu, China. Lots of twists and turns interspersed with flashbacks from many of the characters, including the vigilante killer. Looking forward to the next two installments.
Simon Duan
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's my favorite crime book in recent 10 years written by Chinese author. I am glad to see English version released.
Ines
Jun 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook
3.5
Arlene
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Twists and turns. Keeps you guessing to the end. Can't wait for the sequel!
Julie
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. Kind of a police procedural, definitely a mystery and a bit of a thriller. set in modern China. I thought the translation was strong. It's dark, but not too dark. And quite satisfying.

Be warned, though. The end of the book says "End of Part 1." Turns out it is a trilogy and the other volumes are not available (yet?) in English.
Kim Deutschman
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an awesome book!! Fast paced with lots of twists ....
I can’t wait for the next book in the trilogy.
Gabriel Stein
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating thriller, with a lot of twists, one of two perhaps foreseeable, but most were not. Read it.
Jane Hunt
A fast-paced police procedural set in China with well-written suspense elements and an authentic setting. Translated into English this book, reads well. 'Death Notice' is a mixture of cold case investigation and the present day pursuit of a serial killer.

The plot is complex as are the characters. The writing style isn't descriptive, but there is sufficient information for the reader to understand what's going on and try to solve the clues. The procedures are bureaucratic and appear dated but pr
Jacky
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A page turner; devoured it over 2.5 nights. The journey was a fast-paced, compelling one. The destination /final reveal was just a tad bit wanting after the grand build up of a close to 2 decades-old mystery but that shouldn't deter fans of detective /mystery stories from discovering this translated from Mandarin thriller.
Tempted to catch the web series. Maybe one day I will- curious to see the casting of the various characters.
Lijie Xu
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just finished the first book and already fell in love can't wait to read the rest of the series. Very fast-paced and compelling rhythm which I'm absolutely fond of. The author gives you a little hint here and there but not excessively descriptive so you will need to put all the puzzle pieces together - and when you think you figure it out there's always a bigger surprise ahead. A conjure after another is the reason you can't put it down once you start reading. I would say it's a must-read for al ...more
David Baird
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic

This is a great book. Unusual and gripping. Extremely well translated. Can’t wait to read the next in the trilogy.
Michael O'Donnell
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
一个很好的阅读

快节奏的生活与死亡

善与恶的界限模糊了
Jerry Zhang
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing imagination at the end of the story. Read one more time even red the Chinese version before.
Boris Feldman
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first volume in a Chinese trilogy about a mysterious murderer. It's so good that I may have to learn Mandarin, because I can't wait for the translation of volumes II and III. A rare delight.
我爱它
Jamie Canaves
Great Cat-and-Mouse Game!
The BBC show Killing Eve has definitely reinvigorated my love for a great cat-and-mouse game, and this novel delivered. Eumenides (or so he calls himself) is a vigilante out to make sure those who have escaped punishment get what’s coming to them. The police are racing to stop Eumenides from his next target, as he’s stated in his death notice, but Eumenides is always one step ahead. And there are more death notices to come. Will the police ever catch-up?… A great thrille
Edna
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First novel translated to English. I liked a lot...
ZHOU HAOHUI is regarded as one of the top three suspense authors in China today. The Death Notice trilogy is China's bestselling work of suspense fiction to date. The online series based on these novels has received more than 2.4 billion views and achieved almost legendary status among Chinese online dramas. He lives in Yangzhou, in China's Jiangsu province.