Start by marking “Amity and Prosperity: One Family and the Fracturing of America” as Want to Read:
Amity and Prosperity: One Family and the Fracturing of America

Amity and Prosperity: One Family and the Fracturing of America

Prize-winning poet and journalist Eliza Griswold's Amity and Prosperity is an expose on how fracking shattered a rural Pennsylvania town, and how one lifelong resident brought the story into the national spotlight. This is an incredible true account of investigative journalism and a devastating indictment of energy politics in America.

Stacey Haney, a lifelong resident of
Published June 12th 2018 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

To ask other readers questions about Amity and Prosperity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amity and Prosperity

Start your review of Amity and Prosperity: One Family and the Fracturing of America
Yun
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Amity and Prosperity provides an in-depth look at fracking and the small towns that bear this burden so that the rest of us can have the energy we often take for granted. It specifically follows a few families near the poor Appalachian towns of Amity and Prosperity in Pennsylvania, first as fortune seemingly comes knocking in the form of a gas company looking to lease their land for fracking, then the fallout as their water and air become polluted, their animals die, and they cannot puzzle out ...more
Darlene
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
"The 'Appalachian problem' doesn't seem to me to be political, economic or social. I believe
it is a spiritual problem and its name is greed."
- 'Our Appalachia: An Oral History' , edited by
Laura Shackelford and Bill Weinberg

Eliza Griswold, the journalist who wrote this book, 'Amity and Prosperity: One Family and the Fracturing of America', was awarded the 2019 Pulitzer Prize for general non-fiction. In an interview, she described how she came to report on this story which centers on two towns
Diane S ☔
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5000-2019, lor-2019
One of the Pulitzer winners for this year, and though I often don't agree with their choices, this was a worthy one. Fracking, Pennsylvania and a town Amity, with few employment opportunities. Just the kind of place these natural gas companies like to plunder. They pretty much descend on those that are desperate money, sell them a bill of goods, insist they are environmentally friendly, and promise big financial returns.

This centers on a few families in Amity, a woman, divorced mother of two,
Trish
This scientific and legal drama recounts the harrowing ordeal of several families suffering terribly from toxic chemicals leaching from storage pools of fracking waste into their drinking water and into the air in western Pennsylvania. New Yorker staff writer and journalist Eliza Griswold has excellent instincts for a story and she has honed her skills so that unwieldy real life is put into a clear timeline; we not only understand, we are desperate to learn the outcome.

It is nearly impossible
Pam Patterson
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My rating may be somewhat skewed because I was engrossed by the story of how a new extraction industry impacted the people I went to middle and high school with. Some of the non-sequiturs in the story telling annoyed me, but the writing captures what I know to be true about the people of Amity and southern Washington County. Amity and Prosperity lays out the real challenges and conflicts facing Americans in resource rich but economically challenged regions of the country. Unfortunately, it is ...more
Alex Joyner
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There were other impacts from the fracking boom and the Haneys were feeling them. Over the course of eight years, as Eliza Griswold tracks this family in this powerful book, they lose their health, their animals, their house, and their trust in just about everyone except a pair of crusading lawyers who tilt at the windmills of industry and the government agencies that should be protecting them.

Amity and Prosperity is the kind of propulsive read that marks our great story-telling
Caren
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
I squeezed this excellent piece of longform investigative journalism into my schedule. It won a Pulitzer this year for a reason. The book reads like an environmental legal thriller, but the story is entirely true. The author spent six years of research and interviews to piece together the story. In her "notes on sources" at the end of the book, she says she had been in Nigeria, a place where "some of the poorest people in the world live on some of the most resource-rich land " (p.307), when she ...more
Amanda
When 2019's Pulitzer prizes were announced, I was a little underwhelmed. Compared to previous years, the topics just didn't excite me the way I'd hoped they would. Still, in my quest to read all of the Pulitzer winners, I put them on my list. I had wanted to try to keep up with the winners each year (I did manage this in 2018 for fiction and all three nonfiction categories), so I bought a copy of each and planned to read them.

I have to admit that this book, based on its title and what I thought
KC
In this Pulitzer Prize winner novel, fracking takes the controversial center. Maimed and dying animals, repulsive odors, and chronically ill children plague three families of Amity and Prosperity, Pennsylvania. Years embroiled in an on-going lawsuit against the city and federal government as well as the local drilling company, this story shows how many hope to make a profit at the expense of many Americans regardless of the health cost. Truly alarming and horrifying. For those who enjoy Erin ...more
Erok
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you live around Pittsburgh, you need to read this book.
It reads like a novel, following one family who "lost" - a sacrifice for extractive industries. The book lays out how daily hardships, even small ones, can add up to destroy a home. Lots of Pittsburgh content in this one, with a shocking/not shocking description of how the DEP and EPA operate hand in hand with industry.
Barb
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was probably more of a 4.5. Great book, sad/frustrating story but well told.
Edward Sullivan
A powerful, revealing look at how fracking shattered a rural Pennsylvania town, and how one of its lifelong residents brought national attention to the story.
Laura Jean
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a weird background going into this book. My ex husband has worked for the State Environmental Department for the state of TN for over 20 years. I knew coming into this book the sorts of things he ran into in rural areas of that state, including locals dumping hazardous waste on family farms. So I knew that state agencies don't always have the resources to investigate and enforce the state laws. So the situation in PA saddened, but did not surprise me.

Still, even knowing that, I feel for
Angela H.
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, buddyread
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't even know where to start. It is shocking to me that this kind of systematic failure by Government to protect its own citizens is taking place in America. This is the kind of thing that happens in third world countries, not here in our own backyard.

While I fully realize Amity and Prosperity certainly has an agenda, the blatant disregard by government agencies, local government and corporations coupled with the general lack of public outcry should make everyone angry. I still cannot wrap
Jeff
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very well written book . I learned a lot about fracking. Certainly not as harmless as we are led to believe. The author did not beat us over the head with "science." Some of course, but the main focus of the book was about the personal struggles of those involved with this ecological disaster.

I would recommend this book to others.
Nancy Regan
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Disgust and outrage kept me company as I read this 2019 General Nonfiction Pulitzer prize winner. And there was gratitude (and shame), too, that I had never had to choose between clean, healthy water and economic survival. The author noted at the end that "[s]o many of the problems of collective poverty plaguing Africa and Asia were becoming more evident in America", and that she decided to turn her attention to domestic shortcomings as a result. I found it hard to put this book down, and hope ...more
David Quinn
This is a good book I enjoyed reading. It reminded me in many ways of Jonathan Harr's very good book A Civil Action but it lacks the depth of Harr's book and I can't help compare the books and rate this one a star lower.
Steve Nolan
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great look at what is actually "Trump country." (Fuck you, "Hillbilly Elegy.")

The poor puppies :(
MM Suarez
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Audio book narrated by Tavia Gilbert 10 hrs 34 mins

This is primarily the story of how fracking destroyed the lives of a family in a rural Pennsylvania town and how gas and oil corporations with their crooked and/or careless energy politics, sell us their poisons and destruction under the guise of "the greater good".
Its amazing how many people will accept it all as long as they are paid well and the resulting unintended casualties are not their own.

This book was well researched, easy to follow
Elizabeth A.G.
Excellent reporting of the communities and families impacted by the fracking industry in western Pennsylvania which exposes the human and environmental costs when profit, greed, desperation, and lack of governmental oversight on the local, state and federal levels become disastrous. Lives are changed forever.
Marvel
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My sister recommended this and since I grew up in Prosperity - and many family members still live there - I decided to read it. Also because it deals with fracking and this is happening on our family farm where my dad still lives.
When I started the book, I was skeptical. It seemed the author already had her mind made up that fracking is bad and is harmful to the water and the people nearby. But as I read the book, I thought she was fair and clearly made the point that greedy companies who come
Alison
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I pray the American oil and gas industry and everyone associated with it receives a horrible comeuppance one day. Stacey Haney is made of steel and it broke my heart to read about what Range Resources stole from her and her kids--not just property, not just every last dollar they had, but their health, their sanity, their livelihood. The failures of the EPA are terrifying. Protection, my ass. The refusal, as ever, of the American court system to do anything meaningful to remedy gross injustice: ...more
Diana
Jun 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
This sounds like the kind of book I would very much enjoy but I found it meh. Part of that was the Audible narrator, who had a breathless OMG tone of voice I found annoying. The story felt like it didn’t know what it wanted to be. The human interest aspect was drawn out and grew tedious. The medical part was superficial. It tried to be a legal story for a while but that fizzled too. Finally the book just ... ends. Disappointing.
vanessa
This is a story I'm intrigued by, especially the human impact aspect and the ligitigation aspect. I wish the writing was a bit more focused and followed a trajectory - I definitely felt like I understood the people in this story - but sometimes I felt bogged by other details.
Gayle
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
If ever you begin to doubt what unbridled, unregulated capitalism is doing to individuals, families, and communities, read Amity and Prosperity. The really sick part when you think of it is that America stopped exporting the idea of freedom to the rest of the world some time ago; now we only send our culture [nothing to be proud about] and our form of destructive, self-interested capitalism, complete with austerity for the masses and glutton for the rich.

In what diaspora does a state governor
Claudia
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book took me a while to read, and not because it didn’t keep my interest; it was just really difficult to read what the families in the book went through and how ineffective agencies they relied on to protect them were.
Sam
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great journalism covering the sad story of fossil fuel companies pillaging communities and poisoning families.
Bonnie
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book on the heels of reading "Radium Girls" and I walked around angry for two weeks afterwards. It was one thing to read about big business deception and denial of rights in the 1930s, but this story took place in the 2010's!! Big business blatantly cutting corners to save money, literally causing folks living in the surrounding areas to become horribly sick and animals to die, and then instead of doing the right thing, the deny deny deny and fight in court which bankrupts those who ...more
Vincent Masson
I've read a lot of the winners for the Pulitzer Prize for Non-Fiction. I noticed they generally fall into two categories - a re-imagining/re-envisioning of a big world event, or books like "Amity and Prosperity" that simply feature good, hard hitting, investigative journalism about an important American social issue.

There was, for instance, a book (recently read by me) called "Toms River: A Story of Science and Salvation" that won the same prize back in 2014. That story was about chemical
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Rising: Dispatches from the New American Shore
  • In a Day's Work: The Fight to End Sexual Violence Against America’s Most Vulnerable Workers
  • Say Nothing: A True Story of Murder and Memory in Northern Ireland
  • American Prison: A Reporter's Undercover Journey into the Business of Punishment
  • The Nickel Boys
  • Dopesick: Dealers, Doctors, and the Drug Company that Addicted America
  • The Yellow House
  • The Poisoned City: Flint's Water and the American Urban Tragedy
  • No Visible Bruises: What We Don’t Know About Domestic Violence Can Kill Us
  • The Heartbeat of Wounded Knee: Native America from 1890 to the Present
  • Frederick Douglass: Prophet of Freedom
  • Charged: Overzealous Prosecutors, the Quest for Mercy, and the Fight to Transform Criminal Justice in America
  • Disappearing Earth
  • On the Clock: What Low-Wage Work Did to Me and How It Drives America Insane
  • The Overstory
  • She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement
  • Furious Hours: Murder, Fraud, and the Last Trial of Harper Lee
  • Toms River: A Story of Science and Salvation
Eliza Griswold is an American journalist and poet. She was a fellow at the New America Foundation from 2008 to 2010 and won a 2010 Rome Prize from the American Academy of Arts and Letters.

(wikipedia)
“Stacey didn’t think that the company would lie if the sludge was truly dangerous,” 0 likes
“Test America’s user manual, there was a section called “Hiding Results” 0 likes