Start by marking “Calling All Minds: How to Think and Create Like an Inventor” as Want to Read:
Calling All Minds: How to Think and Create Like an Inventor

Calling All Minds: How to Think and Create Like an Inventor

From world-renowned autism spokesperson, scientist, and inventor Temple Grandin -- a book of personal stories, inventions, and facts that will blow young inventors' minds and make them soar.

Have you ever wondered what makes a kite fly or a boat float? Have you ever thought about why snowflakes are symmetrical, or why golf balls have dimples? Have you ever tried to make a k
Audio CD
Published May 15th 2018 by Listening Library

To ask other readers questions about Calling All Minds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Calling All Minds

Jean
This book was a little awkward to me. It was part personal memoir, part science experiments, part history. I liked what I learned in the book, but I think I would have preferred if it focused either more on her personal history or invention history. It just seemed disjointed to me and I wasn't sure where the narrative was going. Some of the home experiments seemed like they could be fun and different for children to try. The activities in the book are real experiments. It requires the kids to th ...more
Alicia
An interested reader could get behind one of two things in this book where Grandin "calls all minds". The historical text boxes that highlight inventions throughout history OR the biographical story she weaves and the science she shares to do fun things like create kites and water bombs.

The interspersed text boxes highlighting these historical figures is important to the context celebrating all of the minds that went into creating these inventions (first woman, first African American, etc.) but
Shani
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Temple Grandin is an inspirational person! This book has great information for budding inventors. It is a YA book with 25 projects.

I loved learning about this quote she has on a poster on the wall of her office, after it hung in her dorm room and apartments. It reads:

“You have two choices in life: you can dissolve into the mainstream, or you can be distinct. To be distinct, you must be different. To be different? You must strive to be what no one else but you can be...”

Read the book to find out
Cecily Kyle
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unopart2
I was really excited to read this because in my line of work I hear a lot about Temple Grandin. And though this book was good with interesting facts and a lot of cool ideas to do with the kids I really wanted to know more about her and her life with her autism diagnosis. I will have to look around and find more from her because her story is definitely interesting to me.
Good Read!
Oak Lawn Public Library - Youth Services
Title: Calling All Minds
Author: Temple Grandin
Run Time: 4.5 hrs
Lexile level: 1060L
Recommendations & Comments: Not only does this book talk about various inventors, Ms. Grandin’s own background and discovery is very interesting. You even get directions on how to make several inventions! The introduction is read by Temple herself, but the rest of the book is read by Ann Richardson. I prefer Temple’s narration, because the speech pattern matches the text well. She also explains a little bit abo
Tracy
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of Temple Grandin, and I enjoyed this book very much. I think it leads the reader to a lot of new and different things, and gives many opportunities to connect with something you like to do. maybe best for an young middle grade reader, but very easy to understand and the projects are great!
Srosch
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book super fun, part biography, part projects, part famous people stories
Dana C.
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-reads
Need some inspiration to finish those art projects? Temple Grandin won't take no for an answer. This book is partly instructions on the types of things kids used to do before TV invaded our brains, and partly a call to action. Will really speak to your maker kids.
Megan
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
For me, this was a 3 star, but she tells the story of how to build things using Physics. I teach Physics, so there really wasn't anything novel, but I imagine someone who needs some lightweight Physics might enjoy this. It is too bad I can't access the PDF with this Audio book.
James Biser
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
This is a good book by Temple Grandin. It is focused toward young people with several activities spelled out in which people can practice building mechanical instruments. It also tells stories about Grandin's life and how she achieved greatness, despite many difficulties.
Jeremiah
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it
A nice example of bottom-up thinking by using simple inventions.
Alice
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars, 2020-beehive
I really enjoyed this book. I wasn't sure how to feel about this book. I had heard of Temple Grandin
and knew she was a person with high functioning autistic but that was about it. I have known people from Non-verbal Autistic to Asperger Autistic. I wasn't sure if it would be too above my head super genius, or too boring and remedial.

What I found was a fun book. Well told, interesting, and now I have about 7 projects I want to try. (She gives you the directions) It also gives me a better insight
Behrooz Parhami
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I listened to the unabridged MP3 audio version of this title (read by Ann Richardson, Listening Library, 2018).

Mary Temple Grandin [1947-now], Professor of animal science at Colorado State University and consultant to the livestock industry on animal behavior, has been featured in several films, including one bearing her name (2010), “In the Woods” (2012), and “Speciesism: The Movie” (2013).

In this book, Grandin aims to inspire young readers to put down their phones and to pick up scissors, glue
Alexa Hamilton
Temple Grandin always has an interesting perspective on things, in this case, how to build stuff and invent new things. I loved her perspective on failure and on persistence and even more on seeing things in your own way, and not letting anyone turn you into someone you're not. That said, the way this book is written makes it a little hard to follow. Grandin talks about her own experiences inventing and building stuff, interspersed with project instructions about many of the things she has built ...more
Stephanie Tournas
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Temple Grandin is a "world-renowned scientist, inventor, and expert on visual thinking" and is well-known for her books on autism and animal behavior. This seems to be her first book written for children. She looks back on the things that she was curious about as a child, and relates how she was able to figure our how things worked by inventing experiments to help herself prove or disprove a hunch. Along the way she also delves into how she, as a person with autism, processed the world. Grandin ...more
Kristina Callender
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Inspiring STEM book! Temple Grandin does a great job encouraging experimentation and hands-on knowledge for young learners and demonstrating the importance of bottom-up thinking, different ways people learn and interact, deductive reasoning, problem-solving, and patience. I learned a lot from an Grandin's multiple examples of historical inventors and inventions that changed the world.
This book offers simple instructions for various projects that use recycled items and scraps to teach basic conce
Stephanie
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Temple Grandin shares short stories about inventions and experiments she has made in her life, interspersed with short bios and information about other inventors and inventions, in an effort to encourage readers to get up and try putting their own ideas into action. I really liked this book. I liked the comfortable way she speaks to the reader, as if you're sitting together just having a chat, and she can wander from topic to topic. While I didn't actually try any of her experiments, I think the ...more
Clarissa
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is about being an inventor, with stories about Temple Grandin's life growing up working on projects building and inventing things. There is also information about both famous and little known inventors, in addition there are projects that kids can do now. Some of the projects are at the higher end of complexity/tool use for a kids book, but they look like fun. There is a range of projects that use cut paper, and simple items from around the house, and projects that require you to buy s ...more
Megan
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Part history, part science, part autobiographical. The author talks about inventions throughout history, reminisces about some of her own experiments that she conducted throughout her life, and shares ideas for some STEM type experiments that you can make at home (with adult supervision, of course). If you want to know tidbits like why a golf ball has dimples or how to design different things, like making your own marionette and experimenting with how adjusting the design makes the limbs move, t ...more
Great Books
Temple Grandin invites young inventors to explore the world with her. Encouraging them to ask questions about everyday things, such as: How do pulleys work? What causes metal boats float? Who invented the sewing machine? Using personal history as well as engaging projects for readers to experiment scientific principles, Grandin not only makes science practical, but obtainable.

Reviewer 30

18-ages-12-13
Jennybeast
Jul 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
Was excited to read this, but the first section, on the history of papermaking (an area I feel passionate about) was so inaccurate that I could not continue. This book has either been dumbed down for children (inappropriate) or is an example of incredibly poor research -- in either case, I am vastly disappointed.
Alyson Mahony
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting book to listen to. I would like to actually see it because there is a lot going on here... personal stories, history of inventions and inventors, projects to create etc... It seems like it would be a good addition to a maker space library.
Shari
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I heard Temple Grandin speak this week. She talked about all the things in this book, things she noticed because she is a visual thinker. The book includes hands on projects for "tinkering." Teachers would benefit from listening to what she has to say about learning and learners.
Amanda
Oct 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: asd
I have a signed copy of this book from when we were able to listen to the author speak at the library. Such a neat experience.
PWRL
Jul 16, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-new
O
Rachel Lail
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Neat book! Grandin's voice is prominent, and her short bios of inventors are both interesting and informative. I can't decide what age the experiments / invention ideas would be best for though...
DaNae
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
The STEAMyist Maker-Spaceyest book around
MaryLibrarianOH
Mix of experiments and history of scientific discoveries.
دعاء الدريس
لم أقرأه بعد لكن أعتقد أنه اقتراح كتاب جيد لليافعين، سأقدمه لأطفالي حين يكبرون
Roger
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Fantastic and inspiring stories of science, autism, and the value of the differences that make us unique. This book has projects you (and your child, if you have one of those) can make.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Untamed: The Wild Life of Jane Goodall
  • Otis and Will Discover the Deep: The Record-Setting Dive of the Bathysphere
  • The Quest for Z: The True Story of Explorer Percy Fawcett and a Lost City in the Amazon
  • Dazzle Ships: World War I and the Art of Confusion
  • Vietnam: A History of the War
  • Victoria: Portrait of a Queen
  • Shipwrecked!: The True Adventures of a Japanese Boy
  • Girls Who Code: Learn to Code and Change the World
  • Spooked!: How a Radio Broadcast and the War of the Worlds Sparked the 1938 Invasion of America
Temple Grandin, Ph.D., didn't talk until she was three and a half years old, communicating her frustration instead by screaming, peeping, and humming. In 1950, she was diagnosed with autism and her parents were told she should be institutionalized. She tells her story of "groping her way from the far side of darkness" in her book Emergence: Labeled Autistic, a book which stunned the world because, ...more