Jump to ratings and reviews

Rescuing Reed: The Little Dog Who Could

Follow Reed on his journey from homeless dog to a dog with a purpose. When a special shelter volunteer takes an interest in him, Reed learns that even he can get a second chance. This book teaches us that, just like Reed, even the toughest individuals are valuable and can succeed. is a powerful true story of love, rescue, and hope.

38 pages, Hardcover

1 book1 follower

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
13 (81%)
4 stars
3 stars
0 (0%)
2 stars
1 star
Displaying 1 - 6 of 6 reviews
Profile Image for Tracy Richardson Firgens.
1 review23 followers
March 5, 2018
This book is such a heartwarming story of how important pet adoption is. As the founder of a non-profit for pit bull type dogs and their families, this book is a great way for families to continue to spread the word that adoption is so important. Congratulations to Reed and his family for finding each other and spreading the story of second chances and love.
Please choose adoption.
Profile Image for Ashley.
12 reviews
July 11, 2018
Rescuing Reed is a great book about never giving up! And of course about Dog, shelters, and the misconception that come along with them. Encourage any teacher or parent to have this book In their collection!!
1 review
December 5, 2018
Definition of Shelter: "a shielded or safe condition; protection; a place of refuge or safety."
Synonyms: Sanctuary, Safe Haven

I am an Animal Services Officer (what this author so lovingly called a 'dog catcher' - cringed at that one, wow). Myself and all coworkers in this field work day in and day out to protect, advocate and fight for, serve, care, and love for all the creates great and small that come into our care at our large City Shelter that serves 285k people. We are cruelty investigators, yes, stepping into some of the most hair-pulling, frustrating, horrifying sights. I have shed tears from being able to put a dog in a kennel (what the author calls a cement box). I have shed those tears knowing there was no safer place in the world for that dog to be. Knowing that dog had felt things no animal should ever feel, had been neglected, hungry, itchy, and dying and being able to walk them into a kennel, kiss their heads, and tell them "you're safe now, I'm not going to let anybody hurt you or give up on you ever again".

All I wanted was a cute book to give my nephew for Christmas that taught him the value of animal shelters, animals in need, volunteering, and adoption. There were so many glowing reviews on this book, so I bought it. I read it before wrapping it, making sure I agreed with the message, and no later than 4 pages in - I was laughing at just how wrong and naive this author is. I cannot believe she claims to be an avid volunteer for animal shelters. I cannot believe any shelter she volunteers at appreciated the message she sent in this book - and it made me nauseous to see all the comments of people reading this book to their classrooms.

In the book, is she insinuating the better place for the dog to be was on the street? Begging for crumbs in the alley ways? Exposed, unvaccinated, hungry, and cold? Thank god those "dog catchers" helped him. This author straight up says they took him to animal control - "a very scary place". What a good thing to teach our young children - "if I find a helpless dog, I should never ever take him to a dog sanctuary, that's where the bad guys are".

Last of all, the page that hurt my heart the most was the statement she dared to write. This author said "For the next four years, Reed lived in a cement box all by himself. People called shelter workers fed him and gave him water, but they never stopped to love him." Let me tell you, Ms. Heidi Mottin, the most loving and kind humans I have ever had the pleasure of meeting have been in the walls of animal shelters. We have cried real tears when saying goodbye to dear dogs that we couldn't save, we have cried real tears after fighting for years to get a long-time resident adopted and finally finding that perfect family and seeing him walk out the door with them, and trust me, we HAVE stopped to love them.

If you don't realize that, I suggest you take a step back from volunteering and reassess your understanding and your heart. It seems you think you are the "hero", but rather, you may be part of the problem. Yes, Animal Services Officers are also fighting hard to get our animals out the door and adopted - but I also hope you understand how important it is for our doors to be open and to fight for them to come in. It's a safe place to be. It's a good place to be. Most of all, it's a place of love. I can assure you, you were NEVER the only one that showed Reed love. If Reed could talk, he would tell you that.
Profile Image for Amy Paine.
2 reviews1 follower
March 15, 2018
I loved this story, it really resonates with me because I volunteer at a pet rescue/adoption place and we work with all the dogs on good manners so that we can find them the perfect home. And Reed reminds me of my Casanova who I adopted from the rescue I volunteer at, he is a black lab/hound/pit blend and really lives up to his name.
February 28, 2018
This is a beautifully written and illustrated children's book with a very powerful message. We all have a purpose in life and Reed helps show us why.
Displaying 1 - 6 of 6 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.