Start by marking “An Immovable Feast: How I Gave Up Spirituality For A Life Of Religious Abundance” as Want to Read:

A winsome, beautifully written, page-turning read of a modern spiritual journey. This is the colorful story of one man's religious path that begins with a fundamentalist Baptist childhood to an adolescence in emergent church spirituality. He moves on through hipster years as a house painter and musician, then marries and enters a seminary in Wisconsin. After years of weari ...more
Published April 5th 2018 by Ignatius Press

To ask other readers questions about An Immovable Feast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Immovable Feast

Grace Mitchell
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those seeking truth, unity, and depth
In his most recent work, Tyler Blanski gives an account of the series of conversions of heart that lead him from a "spiritual but not religious" evangelical faith to an Anglican seminary and ultimately to a life of religious abundance in the Catholic Church. Blanski relates this process with unflinching honesty, revealing to readers a life shaped by a gradual uncovering of truth and a pervading grace.

The book's strength lies in part with its relevancy to the current culture: Blanski finds himsel
Kathleen
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Although this was nicely written and moving at times, in the end it felt like a conversion story for Catholics and not a book I would want to give to someone who is searching. It was overly poetic, slowly moving, and bordering on dense, but perhaps that could have been the phase of life I was in when I read it (i.e. the worst reading slump of my life and just an overall lack of energy).

However, I did learn some new things and I read portions of it quickly and found that when I immersed myself i
Christine
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tyler Blanski has written beautifully about his journey through the "beautiful mess" he thought life is into the truth of faith. Every step is chronicled with its joys and pains and Tyler explains the tools and teachers who brought him to the conclusions he has reached. Highly recommended for seekers of truth everywhere!
Michael Goodwin
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A heart soaring and soul deepening journey!

I loved hearing Tyler’s story! There were elements that echo my own journey becoming Catholic!
There is depth and rich reflection in these pages, which is unique. We live in times that lack self reflection and prolonged authenticity. You will find both here! Be blessed in the reading of this wonder filled book!
KieraK
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was a bit flowery in the beginning and end but for someone really searching, there is a lot of meat presented in favor of Catholicism.
Christy
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
The best spiritual memoir of the millennial generation I’ve read. Tyler’s honesty shines through on every page as he details why just “being spiritual” was not enough. A memoir that anyone will be able to garner wisdom from.
Libby
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: church, nonfiction
I'm sure I'll be chewing on this one for awhile. There is much that I enjoyed and found compelling, but there were parts where I felt like the author's personality/voice turned me off. Granted, in any memoir, there are going to be parts where we connect with the author and parts where we don't. I think I was also sometimes frustrated by the selection of which events/thoughts/arguments to linger over and which ones to glide through (I'm not Orthodox, but I know just enough history to know that ca ...more
Kristyne Elizabeth
Mar 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm Catholic and I definitely think you need an education in Christianity to truly appreciate Blanski's conversion story.

I was given this book by my cousin because I had shared with her that I was finding it hard to continue to go to Mass. I had recently moved and had to leave my progressive Jesuit parish that felt like my first spiritual home for a parish that was extremely conservative where I felt, not only did I not belong, but that if anyone discovered my worldview I'd be treated as if the
Shelly Weinhold
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A truly beautiful, poetic, and vulnerable spiritual memoir. I could not put this book down. Myself a convert to Catholicism from Protestant evangelicalism, I often had the uncanny feeling that I was reading my own spiritual memoir. I have felt re-challenged and refreshed as I was reminded of why I became Catholic in the first place, and Tyler often put words to experiences I have had that I could not myself articulate. I loved reading about both his and Brittany’s journey and struggle to find th ...more
Mike
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: catholic-church
This was a wonderful read. I would recommend this to anyone that has ever thought about the Catholic Church. The first four chapters were a little slow but chapters five and beyond were lively and compelling.

It was an amazing story of love and respect expressed by a young couple seeking happiness via a path toward God. In the chapters in which the couples interactions are discussed I could almost feel and taste his need of her as a partner.

I hope to see many more books produced by the life expe
Theresa Smith
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a superbly written book! The author masterfully writes of his reluctant journey into the Catholic Church. I highly recommend this book for all who claim to be "spiritual but not religious." I loved his writing of his marriage and fatherhood and how family life transformed him. I truly hope the author continues to write about faith. He is a master at the craft of writing.
Julia
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed and identified with Tyler's journey to the church, recognizing many of the cultural touchstones and the waystations of feelings -centered evangelicalism and wanting Anglicanism to be something it's not. The book felt a bit overwritten at times, but his style lent itself particularly well to the second half of the book. I especially appreciated his discussion of the Eucharist.
Alicia
Oct 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Although I found this memoir to be interesting and well written, I often ended up disagreeing with the author. I don’t really think I was the target audience, but it did give me a perspective on why so many Protestant Christians of my generation choose to convert to Catholicism.
Christopher Pokorny
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Blanski gives an account of his unique and winsome spiritual journey to the Roman Catholic Church. In this tale, we get to “see the wizard behind the curtain,” learning his thought process as he is formed and molded as a young Baptist, an emergent college student, an Anglican seminarian and ultimately a Catholic. Simply beautiful.
L.M.
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an exceptionally well written memoir and though I found myself having many disagreements with the author, I cannot deny his sincerity.
Joy Schoenberger
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A little disjointed, but overall beautiful, insightful, and inspiring.
Celeste
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: catholic
Absolutely loved this book. Even for someone who has been Catholic all her life, it was such a great conversion story. I am thankful to the Lord for the gift of my Catholic faith.
Patrica K Grabski
Dec 31, 2018
Anne
Feb 24, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
“Men don’t cover their heads during Mass, because they are a liturgical reminder of the One to whom all of us—men and women together—are united by Baptism: Christ the Bridegroom. Women cover their heads as a liturgical reminder of who all of us—men and women together—are by Baptism: Mother Church, the Bride of the Lamb. Together in the Mass, we tell the story of the wedding of heaven and earth, Christ and his Bride, the first thing.” 0 likes
“As John Henry Cardinal Newman says: “Quarry the granite rock with razors, or moor the vessel with a thread of silk; then may you hope with such keen and delicate instruments as human knowledge and human reason to contend against those giants, the passion and pride of man.”10 The idea of giving God everything sounded good in principle; living it was another matter. I did not know if I could give him that. But I sensed that if I didn’t, if I did not say Yes, step by step, I would follow the path of the fallen angels who said, “I will not serve.” 0 likes