Start by marking “Come Again” as Want to Read:

Come Again

The first and only comic book artist ever to win a National Book Award returns with a haunting tale of intimacy, guilt, and collective amnesia.

As the sun sets on the 1970s, the spirit of the Love Generation still lingers among the aging hippies of one "intentional community" high in the Ozarks. But what's missing?

Under impossibly close scrutiny, two families wrestle with l
Published July 10th 2018 by Top Shelf Productions

To ask other readers questions about Come Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Come Again

David Schaafsma
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
"In a community like this, we are each other's business."

Nate Powell is the only comics artist that has ever won a National Book Award, for his illustration work on Sen. John Lewis’s story of his experiences with the civil rights movement in the sixties, March, adapted by Andrew Aydin, spanning three books. That and 2008's Eisner Award-winning Swallow Me Whole, are some of my favorite graphic works. The latter is one of a group of more personal works that—like Jeff Lemire’s work—focus on the str
Kevin Kelsey
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
Terrific examination of grief, guilt, and secrecy.
Rod Brown
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Being vague and obtuse and including swirly words and pictures just seems like so much filler in what is essentially a very simple story. Not for me.
Sara
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
I have NO idea what was going on here. I'm not being willfully obtuse I promise. I sincerely don't know what I was meant to take away from this beautifully drawn incomprehensible story.

It's the 70's and whatever is going on here takes place at a dying hippy commune where a woman named Hal is raising her zany little boy as a single mom. Everyone has secrets and is up in everyone else's business. Everything is very groovy and also kind of sad because the "free love" movement is dying or something
Derek Royal
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Once again, Nate Powell provides a moving and free-flowing story that is part and parcel of his art style. Just as his illustrative work seems to just flow rhythmically across the page, so does his storytelling have the same kind of nature. It moves like a wisp, flowing from one "panel" to the next in dreamlike manner. This is another work that I'm going to have to reread, multiple times, to appreciate more fully.
Danica
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dark and twisted, with heart at the centre.
MKK
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I love Nate Powell’s work but this story was too difficult to unpack for me. Everything revolves around a hippy commune in the 70s but there’s the element of a mysterious and mystical Hobbit cave that only serves, in my opinion, to confuse the story.

If there was a deeper meaning or symbolism to the cave then I missed it although the book is dedicated to Ursula K LeGuin so perhaps I’ve misread this book entirely as it deserves an appreciation within the Fantasy genre. That would explain the cav
Jim Angstadt
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
Nate Powell

Set in the Arkansas hills, this graphic novel deals with community, hippies, childhood, and more. Although the author/artist is much praised for his creativity and his works, I felt this story provided more flare than substance.
Peacegal
Aug 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I've been watching a lot of esoteric horror films in recent months, and this comic seems to be an extension of the kind of open-ended storytelling found in "The Endless," "Enemy," or "Hereditary." And like those films, there were elements of this book I found stunning and thought-provoking, and those I was just confused by. I'm glad there are some other reviewers here who also seemed flummoxed by the storyline.
Lata
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: x2018-read
Story: Confusing. This is what I think happened. Haluska (Hal) has a son with Gus, with whom she no longer lives. Hal's friends live nearby and they have a son Shane. Hal's also been having an affair with Adrian (Ade), who is also Shane's father, for years, meeting up in a cave. One day Shane gets trapped in the cave when he and Jake are hanging out. Everyone starts to look for Shane, and then,..., they don't remember Shane. This gives the story a horror/fantasy feel. After failing to get anyone ...more
Saurabh
Oct 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics, graphic-novel
I am confused and unclear on what went on in those pages. Tried to force myself to read page after page hoping it will get somewhere...

A black and dark, twisted and anti-chronological mess. I am angry at myself now.
The Library Ladies
(originally reviewed at thelibraryladies.com )

I have read a couple of graphic novels that Nate Powell did the artwork on, and given that one of those was the stupendous “March” Trilogy I hold him in high regard. I first heard about his new graphic novel, “Come Again”, at work, when a coworker had requested it and couldn’t remember why. When she told me what it was about and who wrote it, I requested it myself. Not only was I interested in a supernatural story that takes place on a commune in th
Matt Graupman
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
At this point in his prolific career (seriously, I think only Jeff Lemire works anywhere near as hard), I think it’s safe to say that I’m going to love any book by Nate Powell. There’s no one making work quite like his: exquisitely drawn, earnest, poetically stream-of-consciousness, nostalgic, and open, in every sense of the word. Of course his latest graphic novel, “Come Again,” is no different. Nate Powell is incapable of making anything less than an inscrutable masterpiece.

“Come Again” is Pow
Kristin
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5
This would have been more effective at half the page length. The story just rambles on with useless characters and scenes that didn't add anything to the core story(The proto-punk band at the outdoor market). The thing in the cave that feeds off secrets can also eats memories of entire people and cause them to vanish? Or not, if the plot calls for it. Powell's a skilled artist but as a storyteller he needs a tighter editor.
Koen Claeys
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
The art is SUPER!!!! The engaging story is a dark and twisted tale that left me a bit confused.
ElphaReads
Randomly at work one day one of the people at the branch I was at got COME AGAIN by Nate Powell on the hold shelf for herself. She didn't remember requesting it, and wondered why she did, but when I read the description I thought that it sounded interesting. Interesting enough that I decided to request it.

In the planned commune in the Ozarks, set in the 1970s, a woman named Haluska lives with her son. She has lived on this commune for a few years now and has seen it rise to prominence and then
Richard
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
I disliked this!

The storytelling, in the sense of the combined effect of words and art, was muddled and muddy, although the character designs were sweet. Kind of like somebody stomped all over classic Garry Trudeau pages and I was trying to read them in a dream. That sounds cool, but it was a mess that left me with one of those annoying half-headaches.

I did like the random scene with punk band.
Kirsten
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This delivered for me in a way Powell’s other books like Swallow Me Whole have not. The artwork is amazing and he covers the uncanny in a believable yet dreamlike way. Recommended for fans of Lemire’s Royal City or The Underwater Welder.
Shim
Dec 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
Didn't make any sense to me
Yvonne Olson
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
While the graphics in this novel were nice, I found the plot not as enticing.
Sammie
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Matt
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Special stuff.
Eric
Aug 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
The art and layouts of this book are phenomenal. The concept of the story is original and compelling enough to keep me fervently turning the pages. But there were so many elements of the setting and characters that never really felt fully fleshed out. I liked it, and maybe my expectations were too high, but I was hoping for more.
Dakota Morgan
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Nate Powell's beautiful, evocative art simply can't hold together a story that leaves too much unspoken. But it certainly does try, and I can't say I regret reading Come Again one bit, even if I came away from it largely unmoved.

Come Again is the story of Hal and her son Jake, living quietly in a commune in rural Arkansas. Life is fairly idyllic, but Hal has regrets - primarily, her long-running affair with Ade, another member of the community. In this close-knit group, such dalliances come with
Harris
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I wasn’t quite sure what to make of this comic, an intricate but slightly confusing magic realist tale of secrets and personal change. I had not read any of Nate Powell’s other comics but was sparked to check out this one, his most recent, after reading his greatly affecting, timely, and thought provoking piece, About Face. Come Again definitely has some interesting themes interwoven in its story, but it also feels a little vague and hard to follow.

Set in the late ‘70s at an isolated, rural “int
M
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Nate Powell taps into the fear of the unknown in order to craft his confusing tale Come Again. Set in the 1970s Ozark mountain community, a small group of families get by as a farming collective. Single mother Haluska is raising her son Jake as best she can. On the days that her son says with her ex, Hal sneaks off with her friend’s husband for some canoodling in a secret cave. One day Jake and his friend Shane go exploring, finding this mystical cave of secrets. When only Jake returns that nigh ...more
Susannah
Aug 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I picked up this graphic novel assuming it was a horror/thriller, based upon the artwork on the cover. Although I still enjoyed the story, it is not a horror or a thriller hardly at all. There is a small hint of the supernatural, which only becomes apparent quite close to the end, but aside from that it is essentially a domestic drama.

Set in the 1970s, Haluska and her son, Jacob, live in a remote, living-off-the-land community in the Ozarks. Haluska is having an affair with her married high-scho
J.T.
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First off, holy christ is the artwork good. Powell's drawing ability is top shelf (ha ha, publishing joke). I'm floored by the movement in his drawings, his mastery of light and dark, his brushwork...just everything.

Now, I'll admit to reading other reviews in the hopes of gaining a better understanding of What The Hell Happened. I'd count myself among those who didn't quite grasp every detail of the story, but it's clear that the overriding theme is the destructive power of secrecy. If nothing
Josh Angel
Jun 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book tries really hard to be DEEP. Unfortunately, whatever is was supposed to mean was completely lost on me because I didn't care about the characters enough to keep reading. Right off the bat the author is asking me to care about characters that are cheating on their significant others. Sorry, but that just doesn't work for me, so how am I supposed to like these characters enough to keep reading about them?

Besides featuring characters I couldn't like, the plot was also very confusing. I h
Kevin
Aug 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The art is lovely, as is the atmosphere. It's a good length and I like that it doesn't pace itself too quickly, though after reading it in about 30-40 minutes, it doesn't feel like there's much here. It's a parable, and so the character development is basically non-existent. The elements of the parable itself feel small and underdeveloped - we get the barest elements of the "rules" and consequences, and beyond these there are some ornaments that intrigue, but are dropped. I would've liked more i ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Lights of the Amalou
  • The Fade Out
  • Voices in the Dark
  • How to Read Nancy: The Elements of Comics in Three Easy Panels
  • Corto, toujours un peu plus loin (Corto Maltese # 4)
  • The Fatal Lozenge