Start by marking “No More Masks: An Anthology of Twentieth-Century American Women Poets” as Want to Read:
No More Masks: An Anthology of Twentieth-Century American Women Poets

No More Masks: An Anthology of Twentieth-Century American Women Poets

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  226 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
A revised and expanded edition of the classic groundbreaking anthology of 20th-century American women's poetry, representing more than 100 poets from Amy Lowell to Anne Sexton to Rita Dove."This is a fabulous, heavy event: an updated edition of the pioneering and beautiful anthology "No More Masks!, " which we really needed in our lives back then, and we really, really nee ...more
Published August 4th 1993 by Harper Perennial (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about No More Masks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No More Masks

Melissa
Jun 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: students of feminist and women's studies
Recommended to Melissa by: a friend
Shelves: poetry
Anthologies don't get any better than this. A compendium of poetry that runs the gamut of both the personal and the political, from the alpha to the omega, of women's poems.

In the memorable verses of a Muriel Rukeyser poem: No more masks! No more mythologies! calls for an end to personae, and a plea to reveal the real voices and visions of women's poetry with none of the "mythological" mystery usually associated with female poets.

Features well-reputed poetesses as well as some who may be underre
Muna
Jan 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The most god awful ugly cover for one of the best collections of poetry in the English language. Don't let it deter you. This book got me through the last torturous two years of high school.
Misha
Aug 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love this book as completely and passionately as it is possible to love a book. I owned a beat-up old copy of the original edition when I was in high school, purchased with a torn cover for a nickel at a yard sale. I spent countless hours lying in bed with this volume of women's poetry and falling in love with these women and with what words could do. It was magical and transformative, this book. It isn't why I'm a writer or why I'm a feminist -- I think no one book can claim that responsibili ...more
Rob
Oct 15, 2013 rated it liked it
I picked this up at the local library book sale because I thought it sounded like an interesting anthology of poems. Reading this introduced me to a number of poets whose work I had not yet had the opportunity to read. I was particularly impressed with Nikki Giovanni's poems and plan on reading more of her stuff sometime.

I thought it was kind of nice that many of these women poets have become popular in present day anthologies--at least I remember studying a number of these women's work in my cl
Jesse
Sep 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like feminism and poetry.
This is a great collection of poems by women. It was some of the first stuff I ever read that was lesbian-centered and feminist and intense and it is a really comprehensive anthology of a wide variety of poets, some well known, others not so much. I must confess to not being a huge fan of poetry in general but this book is something I remember fondly from a period of my life perspective and from a pick it up from the shelf and read a poem or two every now and then perspective.
KAOS
Aug 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, ladystudies
as cheesy as it sounds, this was one of the books that made me a feminist: my writing instructor at art camp (8th grade) had the original anthology and i bought the updated one. for a long time i thought that the original was better. it's very "second-wave" but a great place to start if you are unfamiliar with feminism, poetry or both. i used to love (and was totally shocked by) the poet alta and her modern and nasty little poems.
Andrea Riley
May 30, 2008 rated it liked it
The problem with this book is that it's outdated. Many of the poets generalize the woman's experience to basic themes I have heard for many years. This book is useful in terms of a historical study of Feminism and women's perspectives in relation to writing. The only poet I liked was a woman called Asia.
Kat
Nov 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
A fabulous introduction to many fine female poets. My mom bought it for me when I was in high school and it's quite worn now. I love to return to it having learned more about the poets therein over the years.
James Debruicker
Dec 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was the last book I acquired to replace those I lost access to after a breakup. The poetry ranges in quality, but it's worth owning for Thylias Moss' "The Party To Which Wolves Are Invited" alone.
Christina Bouwens
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A fine collection of women poets -- this ed. is 1993 -- writing today about women's issues/concerns today. Good stuff and not just for gals. Some sexy poetry, moving poetry, and a smorgasbord of issues. We wear no more masks.
Hannah Jane
Aug 11, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
I like quite a few of the poets from this book, but I do not feel like their best poems were chosen.

My two favorite poems? "Gift for my Mother's 90th Birthday" by Maude Meehan and "The Suburb" by Anne Stevenson.
Ian
Aug 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I am not usually into modern poetry, but the editors of this collection have put together an amazing book of poetry by women. It is no wonder this is used in so many classrooms.
Nicole
Aug 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
this book started it all for me, back in the early 90's . . . content of different editions varies significantly.
Kelly Gatfield
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Thought provoking, heart wrenching, and a celebration of the passions of women.

Favorites:

"Heirloom"
"Notes from the Delivery Room"
"Winter Song"
Puja
Aug 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
i used this anthology as the basis of my high school thesis. a great book for the shelf.
Sue Russell
Jul 08, 2010 rated it liked it
An important collection but not as good as the earlier edition.
Tammy V
Apr 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful anthology of women's poetry - giving you a wide ranging taste so you can zero in on the voices you like.
Terry Collins
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So many poems by so many female poets = happiness, respect and a volume of quotable works that I'll be pulling off the shelf for the rest of my life.
Leslie
My favorite collection of poetry!! The best!
Lauren
Jul 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: back-in-the-day
This brings back a memory or two!
Ariana Carpenter Lux
  • A Book of Women Poets: From Antiquity to Now
  • Good Woman: Poems and a Memoir 1969-1980
  • Women in Praise of the Sacred: 43 Centuries of Spiritual Poetry by Women
  • Your Native Land, Your Life
  • I Feel a Little Jumpy Around You: A Book of Her Poems  His Poems Collected in Pairs
  • Cries of the Spirit: More Than 300 Poems in Celebration of Women's Spirituality
  • Teaching with Fire: Poetry That Sustains the Courage to Teach
  • Our Dead Behind Us: Poems
  • Revolutionary Petunias
  • The Gold Cell (Knopf Poetry Series)
  • The Moon Is Always Female: Poems
  • The Vintage Book of Contemporary American Poetry
  • Poems for the Millennium, Vol. 2: Modern and Postmodern Poetry from Postwar to Millennium
  • The Language of Life: A Festival of Poets