Start by marking “The Return of the Moguls: How Jeff Bezos and John Henry Are Remaking Newspapers for the Twenty-First Century” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Return of the Mogu...

Dan Kennedy

The Return of the Moguls chronicles an important story in the making, one that will affect more than just the newspaper business--it has the power to change democracy as we know it.

Over the course of a generation, the story of the daily newspaper has been an unchecked slide from record profitability and readership to plummeting profits, increasing irrelevance, and
ebook
Published March 6th 2018 by Foreedge

To ask other readers questions about The Return of the Moguls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Return of the Moguls

Start your review of The Return of the Moguls: How Jeff Bezos and John Henry Are Remaking Newspapers for the Twenty-First Century
Ryan
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short but interesting perspectives on the in-progress revival of two papers: the Boston Globe and the Washington Post.
Kevin
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I received this book as a Goodreads Giveaway. The book is a well written account of the decline of newspapers during the past 20 years as the internet has taken over, and what a select few wealthy owners are doing to turn things around. It is clear that the author sees journalism as an important part of our democratic society, which I whole-heartedly agree with. I find it somewhat troubling that the only way to save the institutions meant to keep the wealthy and powerful in check is for them to ...more
gail ober
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A nicely-done, inside-baseball book about the politics and business of journalism. I would recommend this book to anyone who is currently in the field, just released after years of working for a paper so the bottom line could be increased, or who aspires to work in the field.
Unfortunately, most Americans take good journalism for granted and just assume the paper will be there in the morning or available to them on-line on a whim. Mr. Kennedy's book will explain to them the complex mechanism that
Liz
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First, a disclaimer ... Although it has been years since I held an actual paper copy of the Washington Post, I am an almost daily visitor to its website. I consider it one of my prime methods for gathering national news information. I also am a regular viewer of all sorts of cable news shows (both left and right wing) as well as the mainstream network news. I am saddened by the decline of our nation's newspapers and distressed by the attacks on the integrity of investigative journalism.
With that
p
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very important and timely examination into the newspaper industry in general, and three titles - The Washington Post, the Orange County Register, and the Boston Globe - in particular. The pace and magnitude of the changes facing this industry are considered by Northeastern University professor and former Guardian media editor, Dan Kennedy. Fascinating insights, thoughtfully considered and presented by Kennedy. In an era of 'fake news' and 'alternate facts', dominated by a president who ...more
Exapno Mapcase
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lter
Kennedy provides a thorough look at the modern newspaper industry through the ownerships of John Henry, of the Boston Red Sox, and Jeff Bezos, of Amazon, as well as one that isn’t mentioned on the cover: entrepreneur Aaron Kushner. Kushner’s is probably the most interesting story with his failed attempts to buy various papers before finally buying the Orange County Register, and the troubles with that paper.

Free review copy.
Dávid Tvrdoň
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dobrý prehľad histórie dvoch ikonických novín aj s pohľadom na ich digitálnu transformáciu a snahu nových majiteľov pretvoriť ich na nestratové podniky. Keby kniha obsahovala viac súčasnej histórie novín v digitálnom veku, bolo by toto hodnotenie 5/5
Ilya Plotkin
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A little dense, but very interesting.
Laurel
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kennedy’s ability to provide historical timelines, weave anecdotes and a bit of gossip through his prose made this reflective nonfiction a very good read.
Carol
Feb 13, 2019
Shane Walton
rated it did not like it
May 07, 2018
Gianluca Bangara
May 03, 2019
nx74defiant
Received from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

I found this very interesting. I learned a lot about the newspaper business. What has gone right. What has gone wrong. What they should have known. What they couldn't have foreseen.
David
Feb 16, 2019

• The Shakespeare Requirement
  • Utopia for Realists: How We Can Build the Ideal World
  • Sticky Fingers: The Life and Times of Jann Wenner and Rolling Stone Magazine
  • Specifications Grading: Restoring Rigor, Motivating Students, and Saving Faculty Time
  • The Happiness Curve: Why Life Gets Better After 50
  • Small Fry
  • La bibliotecaria de Auschwitz
  • Strays: A Lost Cat, a Homeless Man, and Their Journey Across America
  • Smart People Should Build Things: How to Restore Our Culture of Achievement, Build a Path for Entrepreneurs, and Create New Jobs in America
  • Lead and Disrupt: How to Solve the Innovator's Dilemma
  • Walden and Other Writings
  • Boomerang: Travels in the New Third World
  • Bicycle Diaries
  • The War on Normal People: The Truth About America's Disappearing Jobs and Why Universal Basic Income Is Our Future