Start by marking “Crewel World (A Needlecraft Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Crewel World (A Needlecraft Mystery, #1)

Crewel World

(A Needlecraft Mystery #1)

When Betsy's sister is murdered in her own needlecraft store, Betsy takes over the shop and the investigation.But to find the murderer, she'll have to put together a list of motives and suspects to figure out this killer's pattern of crime...Includes a beautiful embroidery pattern!
Mass Market Paperback, 245 pages
Published March 1st 1999 by Berkley Prime Crime

To ask other readers questions about Crewel World, please sign up.
Susan McLeod I don't know Louise, but I loved this book. Lots of great characters! Read it recently for a second time. Just as good as the first time a few years…moreI don't know Louise, but I loved this book. Lots of great characters! Read it recently for a second time. Just as good as the first time a few years ago!(less)

Start your review of Crewel World (A Needlecraft Mystery, #1)
Hannah
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
So I've just recently fallen in love with the art of embroidery, and I am always up for a good, escapist, cozy mystery. I sampled Crewel World, the first "Needlecraft Mystery" by Monica Ferris, and was quickly hooked. This book is a quick, light read. I enjoyed the setting, the real town of Excelsior on Lake Minnetonka in Minnesota. I enjoyed the characters, and I enjoyed the needlework aspect (plus a free pattern at the end of the book).
What surprised me the most-and what I really loved-was th
Janet Robel
Aug 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute cozy mystery. In this case, I actually liked the victim. I'm not into needlework, but loved the shop and the characters. Betsy Devonshire fills the void now that her sister is gone, but does she have what it takes to find a killer? There are plenty of suspects to keep you guessing.
Sarah Sammis
Aug 07, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: released
Crewel World is the first in the Needlecraft Mystery series and probably the last one I'll read. It's supposedly a cozy mystery but I found it one of the most depressing books I've read this year. Usually in a cozy the death of a character isn't the focus of the book except to provide impetus for the main character to solve the crime. Here, though, the tragedy of the death was the central focus for a large chunk of the novel.

Roughly speaking, Crewel World is divided into thirds. The
Kirsti
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I was surprised to find myself enjoying not only the mystery aspects of this novel, but the knitting parts too! Who knew that a complete novice could still enjoy patterns and purling? Haha, I learned things, though. I really loved the characters as well. Pretty much a perfect mystery read, and someone went to all the trouble to collect these, tie them in a bundle and leave them in an Op Shop, so I now have the entire set! Look out for more reviews of the next couple of books soon :)
Cheryl
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
I have read several cozy mystery books and thought I would love this one since it has to do with crafts.

Little did I know that this book would seem to drag on forever and have more mistakes in it than I could count.

I finally got through to the end. But i don't think that I will be reading the rest of the series.
Sonia Ashby
Feb 27, 2011 rated it liked it
A friend suggested I would like reading Monica Ferris' mystery books since I enjoy reading Charlaine Harris' books. "Crewel World" seemed a little slow to draw me in, and since I am not big on needlepoint or knitting I found myself glossing over details having to do with needlework. It ended up being a good mystery book, and the needlepoint played a huge part in solving the mystery. I will try a couple more books in the series and see if I want to keep reading her books.
Melissa
Apr 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Crewel World is the first in the Needlecraft series from Monica Ferris.
I like the writing style of this cozy mystery. It left me guessing
"who did it"..until the very end.
If you like needlework, you will LOVE this series!
Nicole
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
Very well written and I was thinking it was this person or that person left and right. Looking forward to stating the next
Dez Nemec
May 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, cozy-mysteries
A bit predictable, but fun!
Sheila
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting, well-paced, charming-cozy mystery. Had me on the internet looking at needlepoint for almost an hour. :-)
Joy
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Laurel Bradshaw
Nov 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
Review from Literary Times
Margot Berglund owns a needlework and wool store called Crewel World [set in Excelsior, MN]. She's fifty-three, a widow and an expert in her field. Her store does very well for a small town, and she is able to support two part time staff as well as other casual workers. Her husband Aaron had been a wealthy man but despite this she lives a simple life, causing speculation among the town's people. Margot's older sister, Betsy, comes to live with her. When Betsy was
Dec 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mn-Wi crafters who like a PG mystery.
I picked up this book because I am a knitter who likes mystery's - so it seemed like a good fit. Oh - And it is by a local author which made it a triple threat to my wallet. Had to get it!

The story is set in Excelsior, MN at Margot Berglund's needlework shop Crewel World. She is a widow in her 50's and she has a pretty nice life. Her sister Betsy decides to come and stay with her when her second marriage hits the rocks. Betsy seems somewhat aimless and it seemed like she came to be with her si
Heather
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in a series that's being shared around in my church choir. I like cozy mysteries and I was pretty well stalled on my other reading and falling behind on my goal of a book a month for the year. So... I picked it up and started reading it.

It was an excellent read and went quickly. I did not read that blurb on the back, so I was just a bit surprised (but only a bit) when Margot was killed.

The characters were likeable and engaging, also believable. I re
Lee Miller
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
"Library Journal" reported that this was one of the best current mystery series, so I picked up the first volume just to satisfy my curiosity. I was completely charmed. Cozies are usually light on characterization or real mystery, but Monica Ferris wonderfully combines the American small town cozy with diverse, interesting, fully-formed characters. She also crafted an actual mystery that was hard to put down.

The needlecraft angle was also surprisingly enjoyable. I knew nothing about
Almeta
Mar 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Almeta by: Cozy Mystery Group Read
Shelves: dying2read
Vicky Marie
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Reread

Hmm, somehow I liked this better the second time through. Like all firsts in a mystery series the story is slow to start, but after the first third is done things start to pick up. What I like about the Needlecraft Mystery series is the amateur sleuth, Betsy. She's like Jessica Fletcher from Murder, She Wrote in that she actually figures out the murder - who's the killer, how it was executed, etc. It seems like most sleuths just stumble upon the answer. Either that or the killer sim
Lorna
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arrt
I wish that the other sister had been murdered. It was too annoying to read about Betsy's incompetence and poor judgement for the rest of the book after the murder. However, I suppose that Betsy's thickheadedness was necessary - the murder wouldn't have been much of a mystery to anybody else. Some parts of the book were okay though, and Betsy did manage to pick up the pieces of both Margot's and her own life by the end, which made me like her a little more. I doubt I'll pick up the next one unle ...more
Stephanie
Apr 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Stephanie by: goodreads cozy mystery group
Monica Ferris was an author of the month at the Goodreads Cozy Mystery group, this is the first book I've read by her.

I liked the characters, was slightly surprised at who the victim was. I found the mystery to be fairly easy to solve, was about at that point of wanting to yell at the characters -- "come on, don't you see it?" but I ended up enjoying how the author wrapped it all up.

I will read more in this series.
Tracy
Apr 21, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
I enjoyed the setting of an embroidery/yarn store in a small suburban Minnesota town, but I didn't get too pulled in by the characters, and the story wasn't all that suspenseful. I will read more in this series, though, because I did like the setting.

Reread 10 years later in August 2019 after a brief visit to Excelsior, MN. I remembered a lot of this book, which is saying something. Still a 2-star for me.
Jim
May 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Really liked this first book in this series. If you like female sleuths such as Hannah Swenson, Lucy Stone, Goldy Schulz, or Jacobia Tiptree, I think that you'll really enjoy this mystery. This book revolves around a small Minnesota town's needlework shop and its owner. It made me look forward to reading more books in this series.
Renee M
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book truly had potential, however it dragged on and the writing just seemed too much...
Easy to figure out who done it
And no way to get attached to the characters.
This is the 1st in the series and since I struggled to even finish this book I doubt I read the rest.
Kitty
Nov 22, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
A cozy mystery series that revolves around a needlework shop. If you're into needlework, it's a cute, not-too-heavy, murder mystery series. Start with this one, even if you don't read the others in order, as it introduces the characters.
Cleo
Jan 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Good Mystery - I liked the characters - understated mystery, not intense - a fun read
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book- it is not a typical mystery and I can't wait to
Julia
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I enjoyed this cozy mystery, and would have preferred to give it a 3.5 star rating. This is my first Monica Ferris read, and overall, I enjoyed it. I wish the murder victim was someone else; I did not care for one of the main supporting characters; it took a while for me to like one of the main characters.

While this is a murder set in a small town, this story might not appeal to those who are not interested in or understand needlework art and will probably have difficulty or disinter
NancyHelen
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm never sure whether cosy mysteries are going to work out or whether they are just going to be a bit silly, but this is one that I loved. Perhaps because embroidery is my job and my passion, I was more worried than usual. But the author knows her needlework, and has set up a great group of characters whose love of needle and thread is absolutely true to life. In this, the first book, we are introduced to Betsy Devonshire and how she acquires Crewel World, her sister's needlecraft shop in Minne ...more
Abbey Hauser
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nbrc-challenge
This was a fun start to a a new (to me) cozy mystery series. Part of the fun was that it took place in downtown Excelsior, MN in hte 90s, a place where I pretty much grew up and now work nearby. This book also broke the mold of the "typical" cozy mysteries I've been reading lately because first, we got to know the character that was killled for quite a few chapters beforehand (usually in cozy mysteries the person killed is not someone the reader hears a lot about). Second, while the main charact ...more
Angela (Kentuckybooklover) Brocato-Skaggs
Crewel World is the first in the Needlecraft Mysteries. We are introduced to sisters Margot and Betsy. Margot runs a successful needlecraft store in Minnesota and invites her sister, Betsy, to come for an extended visit after her divorce. Betsy finds herself in the middle of trying to find out who killed her sister. Will Betsy be able to convince the police Betsy was murdered in cold blood?

First let me say I liked Margot’s character and was upset she was killed off. Yes, I knew she w
Lilly
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
It was ok, but I'm not much of a mystery reader so I guess my review should be taken with a grain of salt. I read this for a book club and as a knitter I thought it might be an interesting take on a mystery. Most of the book focused on middle aged women doing embroidery so that didn't help me relate to it at all. I found the mystery part to be middling. I didn't feel like I figured it out in the first few chapters, so that's a bonus. But I did feel like the author realized she was taking too lon ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Book Clubbed (Booktown Mystery, #8)
  • A Fatal Chapter (Booktown Mystery, #9)
  • Murder Most Frothy (Coffeehouse Mystery, #4)
  • Holiday Buzz (Coffeehouse Mystery, #12)
  • Murder on the Half Shelf (Booktown Mystery, #6)
  • Knit One, Kill Two (A Knitting Mystery, #1)
  • Needled to Death (A Knitting Mystery, # 2)
  • Fool's Puzzle (Benni Harper, #1)
  • Chapter and Hearse (Booktown Mystery, #4)
  • Murder, Plainly Read (Amish Quilt Shop Mystery #4)
  • Dead to the Last Drop (Coffeehouse Mystery, #15)
  • Sentenced to Death (Booktown Mystery, #5)
  • Title Wave (Booktown Mystery #10)
  • Murder, Plain and Simple (Amish Quilt Shop Mystery #1)
  • A Just Clause (Booktown Mystery, #11)
  • Murder is Binding (Booktown Mystery, #1)
  • Decaffeinated Corpse (Coffeehouse Mystery, #5)
  • French Pressed (Coffeehouse Mystery, #6)
Has published as
Mary Monica Pulver (real name)
Mary Kuhfeld
Margaret Frazer (with Gail Frazer)

[from the author's own website)

Mary Monica Pulver (her maiden name) is an incidental Hoosier — Terre Haute, Indiana, had the hospital closest to her parents’ home in Marshall, Illinois. She spent th

A Needlecraft Mystery (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Framed in Lace (A Needlecraft Mystery, #2)
  • A Stitch in Time (A Needlecraft Mystery, #3)
  • Unraveled Sleeve (A Needlecraft Mystery, #4)
  • A Murderous Yarn (A Needlecraft Mystery, #5)
  • Hanging by a Thread (A Needlecraft Mystery, #6)
  • Cutwork (A Needlecraft Mystery, #7)
  • Crewel Yule (A Needlecraft Mystery, #8)
  • Embroidered Truths (A Needlecraft Mystery, #9)
  • Sins and Needles (A Needlecraft Mystery, #10)
  • Knitting Bones (A Needlecraft Mystery, #11)