Start by marking “The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1)

The Lincoln Lawyer

(Mickey Haller #1)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  177,233 ratings  ·  5,322 reviews
Mickey Haller has spent all his professional life afraid that he wouldn’t recognize innocence if it stood right in front of him. But what he should have been on the watch for was evil.

Haller is a Lincoln Lawyer, a criminal defense attorney who operates out of the back seat of his Lincoln Town Car, traveling between the far-flung courthouses of Los Angeles to defend clients
Audible Audio
Published September 27th 2005 by Hachette Audio

·  177,233 ratings  ·  5,322 reviews

James Thane
Mar 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
This is the book in which Michael Connelly introduced Michael Haller, a lawyer who works out of an "office" in the back seat of his Lincoln Town Car as he navigates the various courtrooms that dot Los Angeles County. Connelly got the idea for the character in a chance meeting at a Dodgers baseball game when he sat next to an attorney who did exactly that.

Mickey Haller is a bright guy who works all of the angles. Mostly he represents drug dealers, prostitutes and other low-lifes, but except for t
Bill  Kerwin
Aug 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A compulsively readable legal thriller about a cynical defense attorney who works out of his Lincoln town car (hence the title) and begins to believe he has finally found that most dreaded and improbable of all clients, an innocent man.

Although this novel has its share of darkness, it is much lighter in tone than Connelly's equally absorbing Harry Bosch detective novels. I found Mickey Haller's brash personality and breezy delivery an unexpected--and welcome--change.
Will M.
I don't know where I will go or what cases will be mine. I just know I will be healed and ready to stand once again in the world without truth.

This is my very first 5-star rating of 2015. I've finally found a novel(in 2015) that entertained me throughout the novel. No slow moments anywhere, and the ending was superb. Characters were really likable and fully developed in the end. Mickey Haller is my favorite attorney, in novels at least.

This was my very first legal-crime novel, and I am ash
Lyn
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Damn this was a great book.

Michael Connelly’s 2005 introduction for veteran criminal defense lawyer Mickey Haller is a first page winner. Connelly’s ability to write and this character’s natural charisma were on full display from cover to cover.

The movie tagline and the hook to draw readers in is Haller’s use of a Lincoln to drive from courthouse to courthouse in and around Los Angeles, he basically works from his backseat. But this is only a groundbreaker to set the stage. Haller is a player, a
Jonetta
Michael "Mickey" Haller is a Los Angeles criminal defense attorney with the type of clients you'd rather see him lose for in the courtroom. When he lands a "franchise" case representing Louis Roulet, a wealthy realtor, Haller feels like he's truly in the money and on the path towards more like-walleted clients.

What is remarkable about this story is how vivid a picture we're given of Mickey Haller. On the surface, he's a slick, oily attorney representing the underbelly of the city. Beneath that
jo
Jul 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
this is my michael connelly tally so far: i have read two harry bosch and two mickey haller. i barely remember the harry bosch. the mickey haller dug a hole in my mind. this is not how things should be. harry bosch is michael connelly's hero. harry and i, though, do not connect; mickey and i are two peas in a pod. if he were real, i would very much like to be friends with mickey, though i doubt he'd want to be friends with me -- not because he wouldn't like me, but because he's the loner type an ...more
Dirk Grobbelaar
I postponed reading The Lincoln Lawyer because I thought it was going to be a courtroom drama with excessive infodumps and tedious pacing. Boy was I ever wrong. Fortunately, my wife had the foresight to spring it on me as part of our annual must-read agreement for 2015.

The law was a large, rusting machine that sucked up people and lives and money. I was just a mechanic. I had become expert at going into the machine and fixing things and extracting what I needed from it in return.

Don’t misunderst
Matt
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, favourites
The book proved to be equally as exciting as the novel, though reading it was partially spoiled by seeing the movie, as I could predict where things were headed.

This was my first Connelly book, but will not be my last. A great mix of Grisham and some quirky Cannell, I was pulled in by the second chapters. I love legal thrillers, especially when the main character can be a little off centre in his life and tactics. Connelly laid out both believable and potential scenes as he works with a very spi
Lori
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm afraid the movie stole a lot of his thunder for me. Still, it's a good read!
Rosie
Oct 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mickey Haller is a defence attorney that basically works out of his car. Mickey doesn't particularly care if his client is innocent or guilty. He cares more about the money and fame a trial can bring him. This changes when he takes on Louis Roulet's case.

I found the story a bit slow to get into. At first I was often wondering when things would pick up. The beginning mainly introduces a lot of cases Haller has worked on and doesn't begin to get more interesting until about a third of the way thr
Mara
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mara by: Dan 2.0, Richard
It's extra exciting when you read a book you enjoy and know that there's plenty more from whence it came (read: it's part of a series). Thus, I'm pretty darn pleased to have made the acquaintance of the eponymous Lincoln-riding lawyer, Mickey Haller.

Haller is a defense attorney of the “Better Call Saul” variety. Criminals need lawyers, and if their money's green… He's a likable guy—so likable, in fact, that neither of his ex-wives (prosecutor/baby mama Maggie McFierce, and super secretary
Apollo Hesiod
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book started out slow, but man it turned out to be very good, will definitely read more books from this author....EXCELLENT RECOMMEND IT TO EVERYONE.
Tony
Jan 20, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to see how justice is preverted and served
Shelves: crime-fiction
"You're a sleazy defense lawyer with two ex-wifes and an eight-year-old daughter and we all love you."

That's not writing, it's a regurgitating a cliche, and this book is litter with them, like confetti at New Year's Eve. The trouble is that the over use of cliched speeches and actions obscure a page turner, a novel decked out with top flight characters and scenes place it on the top shelf of its genre. Overall, the book is worth reading, but you'll have to fight the cliche gag reflex at least a
Robin
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, legal-thriller
Defense Attorney Mickey Haller is busy interviewing clients and appearing at hearings. Instead of an office, he works out of his fleet of Lincoln Town Cars. He feels very lucky when he gets a call about Louis Roulet, a rich Real Estate Broker accused of assault. Mickey sees this as a "franchise" case, a big case that will last months where he'll be able to maximize his billable hours. But his luck isn't holding out. When a friend helping him with the case is murdered, Mickey is conflicted by his ...more
Stephanie
Ok, ok...I may have watched the movie before reading this book. It could be my old age or the fact that I've been working my butt off lately, but I may have watched the movie twice BEFORE even thinking about reading this book.

What can I say I like lawyer movies, and I like movies starring Matthew McConaughey, and I like movies starring Mr. McConaughey as a lawyer. I enjoyed the twists and turns the story took and wasn't sure they'd be as interesting in a book.

The thing is that while the book do
Rohit Enghakat
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal-thriller
Simply superb book. When I first watched the movie, I couldn't understand the plot. The camera print also did not help much. So not sure if the movie is better than the book or vice-versa. Mickey Haller is an interesting character. The way he trounces the DA's attorney, Ted Minton in the court is absolutely wonderful.

Louis Roulet, a rich estate agent is arrested and charged with sexual assault and battery. He hires Mick Haller to defend him. The courtroom drama is engaging and hooks you. But th
Margitte
Loved this book. It is a reread for me. I couldn't remember much of it since my copy is so old there is not even a cover picture for it on GR. lol. The first read was a few decades ago. The second time around was as good as the first time. Brilliant book: entertaining, high drama, court - thriller at its best. Believable and realistic. My kind of book.
Cody
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“There is no client as scary as an innocent man." -J. Michael Haller, Criminal Defense Attorney, Los Angeles, 1962.”

“Well, did he do it?" She always asked the irrelevant question. It didn't matter in terms of the strategy of the case whether the defendant "did it" or not. What mattered was the evidence against him -- the proof -- and if and how it could be neutralized. My job was to bury the proof, to color the proof a shade of gray. Gray was the color of reasonable doubt.”

“The law was not abo
Obsidian
I have been so busy that no new books have grabbed me. I have tried a few and abandoned them all. I finally picked this book up in order to finally move off the BL space that I have been on for I think 3 weeks now. I am so glad that I read the first book in the Mickey Haller series. This book is fire. I loved every part of it and it was just what I needed right now.

Mickey Haller is a defense attorney in Los Angeles. He has not had much luck in getting what he calls a "franchise" case these days
RJ
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For this first book in this series, author Connelly dreams up a bizarre, convoluted legal situation that really should be a 1990s movie starring Ashley Judd and Tommie Lee Jones. It's easy to read though, with a plot that moves quickly along and plenty of snappy dialogue to go with the contrived dramatic situations and ridiculous coincidences. Ultimately, it's fun if you don't think about it too hard.
Carol
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: saw-the-movie
Great book, but was disappointed in the movie.
Sam Quixote
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got the idea to read this from Nicholson Baker's article against Amazon's Kindle device where he said he had to finish reading this on his Kindle (despite disliking doing so on such a shoddy device) because he had to know what happened in the end. I'm not predisposed toward legal/crime thrillers as I think they're a bit too melodramatic and sensationalist (I was thinking of John Grisham). However it's an unfair generalisation as I hadn't read any books from this genre. So I picked it up not ex ...more
I'm a big fan of Michael Connelly, and this is one of his best. So many unexpected twists, terrific audio performance, and the pages just effortlessly keep turning. Also, Connelly doesn't drift down the sex and violence and gore hallways when he writes thrillers. He keeps those things to a minimum, considering that the book is, in essence, a murder mystery. This is something I really appreciate.

I find myself completely, happily immersed whenever I pick up one of his books. If you've never tried
Magdalena
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Lincoln Lawyer" is a gripping, character driven thriller, full of twists and turns that kept me interested right till the end.
Haller is one of those characters that you cannot help but like. He is full of attitude, charisma and charm that allows him to use and manipulate the system just enough to make money and keep clients knocking on his door. With Haller it is not so much about justice as making the system work in your favour.
And then that one case lands in his lap, the case that makes
Ed
Aug 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read. But I saw the movie first, then read the novel, a process that gave away some of the plot points. Oh well. The more hapless, fatalistic Mickey Haller in print differs from the cocky, slick attorney on the silver screen. So, I ended up liking the book more, although both make for first-rate entertainment. Mr. Connelly's writing is just so smooth, and I just flowed along with the story. I like that as a reader; I admire that as a writer. I'll be reading further in the series.
Emma
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
I found myself very sympathetic to Micky Haller and thoroughly enjoyed this story. I’m looking forward to the rest in the series.
Mike (the Paladin)
Okay...so I'm surprised. I like this book. I picked it up out of curiosity and frankly don't even recall what it was that caused me that curiosity. But, I've found a good book and plan to go on to the next in the series.

This book is about a man who in many ways is nothing like me. I don't like the kind of music he likes. I probably would never espouse the belief and "ethical" system he does (view spoiler). I do
Mark
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people that enjoy exciting books
I admit having seen the movie with Mathew M. quite some time ago and finding it an enjoyable movie, a bit surprised there has not been a sequel as there are more books out there with the same character. That said the movie version was a much slicker person as the book person, and I enjoyed the book better than the movie.

This is one of those books you want to keep reading even if you are aware that you have important stuff to do, you keep reading on. I have seen the movie but forgot most of the p
Fred
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: html-img, mystery, movie
New York Best Seller List - Oct. 23, 2005 - #1

IMDB - shows Michael Connelly’s book was used in movie

YouTube 🍿The Lincoln Lawyer movie trailer

The book is great but I liked the movie much more than most others do...

Micky Haller - The Lincoln Lawyer - in his expensive Lincoln Town car, charges high retainers & bails for clients to “Get out of jail” just like Monopoly. But you don’t get money back innocent or guilty, they are non-refundable, going to the Lawyer fee & court.

EXCELLENT movie
Crime, Mysteries ...: The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly (no spoilers) - September 2018 35 38 Sep 19, 2018 08:44AM
Exciting novel 1 12 Jul 18, 2017 10:15PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question F 5 16 May 02, 2017 09:57PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question D 5 8 May 02, 2017 09:56PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question M 4 5 May 01, 2017 05:59PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question L 4 5 May 01, 2017 05:57PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question K 4 4 May 01, 2017 05:54PM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Forgotten Man (Elvis Cole, #10)
  • The Tin Roof Blowdown (Dave Robicheaux, #16)
  • Buried Prey (Lucas Davenport, #21)
  • The 13th Juror (Dismas Hardy, #4)
  • Darkness, Take My Hand (Kenzie & Gennaro, #2)
  • The Rule of Nine (Paul Madriani, #11)
  • One Shot (Jack Reacher, #9)
  • Wild Fire (John Corey, #4)
  • Hell to Pay
  • The Sixth Man (Sean King & Michelle Maxwell, #5)
  • The Gods of Guilt (Lincoln Lawyer): by Michael Connelly -- Sidekick
  • Vertical Coffin (Shane Scully, #4)
  • Live Wire (Myron Bolitar, #10)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Michael Connelly decided to become a writer after discovering the books of Raymond Chandler while attending the University of Florida. Once he decided on this direction he chose a major in journalism and a minor in creative writing — a curriculum in which one of his teache

Mickey Haller (6 books)
  • The Brass Verdict (Mickey Haller, #2)
  • The Reversal (Mickey Haller, #3)
  • The Fifth Witness (Mickey Haller, #4)
  • The Gods of Guilt (Mickey Haller, #5)
  • The Crossing (Harry Bosch, #18)
There is no client as scary as an innocent man."

J. Michael Haller, Criminal Defense Attorney, Los Angeles, 1962.”
138 likes
“I view people two ways. They're either eye-for-an-eye people or they are turn-the-cheek people.” 55 likes