Start by marking “Wolf Sanctuary: The Wolves of Speedwell Forge” as Want to Read:
Wolf Sanctuary: The Wolves of Speedwell Forge

Wolf Sanctuary: The Wolves of Speedwell Forge

Discover the world of the wolves of Speedwell Forge Wolf Sanctuary, a refuge for displaced wolves located in the rolling hills of Pennsylvania. Through captivating and, at times, startling images, experience wolves at work and play, and encounter their howls and growls close up. Since 2007, Chuck Rineer has photographed the packs in their natural habitat, displaying a conn ...more
Published April 28th 2018 by Schiffer Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Wolf Sanctuary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wolf Sanctuary

Fiona
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
A short coffee table book containing photographs of the Speedwell Wolf Sanctuary in Pennsylvania. There is very little narrative. I would have liked more because it was interesting to learn more about wolf behaviour. Did you know they can hear for 12 miles and smell for 4-5 miles? Amazing! Some of the photographs are fabulous, particularly of the wolves howling, and the love the photographer has for them shines through. Some are very repetitive though and there’s a fair bit of anthropomorphism g ...more
Montzalee Wittmann
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wolf Sanctuary: The Wolves of Speedwell Forge by Chuck Rineer is a book I requested from NetGalley and the review is voluntary. It is mostly photos of the beautiful creatures, all ages and colors. I enjoy that as much as reading about them if not more. I would have given it a 3 1/2 but they don't give halves out. It was good/average but not overly good. I still enjoyed it but I am sure the photographer had a closer bond with them.
Chris
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: ARC via Netgalley

If you live in Pennsylvania, you might have heard of Wolf Sanctuary founded and run by the Darlingtons. The Santuacry is a rescue sight for wolves that also educates visitors, though it is wolves first and visitors second. In other words, you need to make a reserveration.

Rineer’s book is a photographer’s look at the various packs that reside on the property. It is not a history of the foundation or of the various packs and wolves (though a brief overview is given).
Skip
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful photographic tribute to the Wolf Sanctuary of PA. Majestic animals. Thanks Chuck!!
Mehsi
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review!

I just adore wolves, we don’t have them here (though I believe they are slowly returning though), so the only chances to see wolves are at the zoo and in books/on tv. So when I spotted this book, promising lots of wolves and photographs, I just had to request it. And yay, for getting accepted!

When I first started I was a bit worried this would contain tons of text. Don’t get me wrong, I love reading (duh), and I love learning ab
Nostalgia Reader
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
A beautifully put together book of photographs of the wolves at the Speedwell Forge Wolf Sanctuary in Pennsylvania.

While I do wish there had been a bit more information, whether about wolves in general or the sanctuary itself, the wolves are the stars of the book and Rineer’s photos capture their personalities perfectly. Ranging from gorgeous shots of the wolves playing and lounging in the snow to brief photo arcs of den digging and pup training, this is a perfect coffee table book for anyone wh
Camille
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Chuck Rinner takes photographs of the packs of wolfs at Speedwell Forge Wolf Sanctuary in Pennsylvania.

This is mostly a book of photographs, as we get a bit on information to explain what is going on, but the aim is to just look at the wolves and discover them in their natural habitat.

I really enjoyed going through the beautiful pictures. I love wolves, I think they're amazing animals and you really get to see them in their everyday life in Wolf Sanctuary. Although there are wild animals, you ca
Cassandra
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is filled with such beautiful photos that Chuck Rineer had taken at Speedwell Forge Wolf Sanctuary for chose to a decade. These images are simply beautiful and it made me fall in love with these wild canine all over again. Rineer did a wonderful job at sharing the characteristics, and personalities of many gorgeous wolves, and I can only imagine how breathtaking they would have been to see in person. I can see this being the perfect coffee table book. A lovely educational piece.

I have
Nicole
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
CHALLENGE 1 of The Read Harder Challenge

Good balance of photography and short explanation, I imagine this being a decent coffee table book for the wolf or animal lover.
Etienne
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
A book about wolf obviously, but pretty much just a pictures books because there is very little information in it. Also the pictures, not bad at all, but very common, meaning that they don't look like great photographers pics, just the kind of picture that most people can take if they take the time to. In the end, just not much to it!
Teresa
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book. Not only are there photo's of wolves but there is also a lot of information about wolves. The book features The Wolves of Speedwell Forge Wold Sanctuary in Pennsylvania.

In 1976 The Darlington family was given a wolf dog. In 1980 the state of Pennsylvania decided that wolves were exotic pets, and that all owners of exotic pets needed a special permit in order to keep their pets. Of course the Darlington's applied for the permit. After receiving the permit to keep their wol
Julie H.
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I won this book as part of the Firstreads Giveaway program, it arrived promptly, I read it, and am now keen to visit the Wolf Sanctuary of PA upon which it focuses.

Rineer is a volunteer at the Sanctuary, has taken thousands of photos of the packs housed there, and offers this book as part homage to these remarkable animals and to the work of the Darlington family that established the sanctuary and educational facility that provides food, shelter, and veterinary care to some 40 wolves and hybrid
CaffeinatedFae
I received this book from Edelweiss+ in exchange for an honest review.

The highlight of this book is obviously the photos. You can tell that Chuck Rineer is a phenomenal photographer. He was able to show the personality of each wolf that he photographed. It was wonderful to experience those photos & I will have to follow his social media pages so that I don't go through withdrawal. I enjoyed the photographs but the writing was a bit bland. I would have loved to learn more about the wolves bu
Birdie O
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This book impressed me, in that it was more than a coffee table photography book. It really showed the lives of the wolves and the depth of emotion in their lives. It also conveyed how important the wolves are to the volunteers of the sanctuary. Instead of just artsy pictures, Rineer is able to capture that which makes these creatures so fascinating, showing a whole range of emotion through the beautiful photos and accompanying stories. A wonderful look into the lives of creatures that captivate ...more
Diane
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this gorgeous book through the Goodreads Giveaway program.

I loved it! The photographs are amazing and the accompanying prose is wonderful. Anyone who loves wolves, or any wildlife, will want to add this book to their home. This volume would be perfect on the shelves of any library, personal or public, in order to appreciate these wonderful animals.

I'm passing it along to my granddaughter, who has had a long love affair with these noble canines.
Kristine
May 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: amazon-reviewed
Wolf Sanctuary by Chuck Rineer is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in mid-May.

Subtitled 'the Wolves of Speedwell Forge,' photographer Rineer spends time at this Pennsylvania sanctuary and tells stories (visually and in text) about the staff, volunteers, the wolves, their personalities and behavior through seasons, creating dens, a generation of pups, and makes an extra effort to identify each by name.
Martha Brindley
Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Filled with images of wolves at the Speedwell Sanctuary in Pennsylvania. A short but nice coffee table book. Good for animal lovers but just a bit short on narrative. Thanks to Net Galley for my copy.
J Aislynn d'Merricksson
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wolf Sanctuary by Chuck Rineer is a dazzling compilation of photographs that the author took of the wolves at Wolf Sanctuary of PA, a preservation and education facility run by the Darlington family.

There are ten chapters, each with brief written introductions, and full of stunning photos. While there is text at the beginning of each chapter, the bulk is devoted to these majestic beasties. The first chapter introduces the human element- the staff of Wolf Sanctuary. Other chapters focus on topics
Sweetpea
Nov 17, 2018
Lisabeth
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Netgalley, the publisher. and the author for allowing me to read and review a digital copy of this book. Stunning photographs of this beautiful animal fill this volume, along with a history of the sanctuary and facts about wolves. Educational and inspiring.
Claire
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wolves are my favourite animals and this book captures the majestic nature of the wolves through the camara lens. This is predominantly a picture book, that is set out in chapters with I formative narratives. It is a fabulous insight into the behaviour of the Speedwell Forge Wolves through pictures. The pictures taken by the author Chuck Rineer are fantastic with great compensition which captures the individual personalities of the wolves. Anyone that enjoys looking at stunning pictures of majes ...more
Anne
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have been drawn to wolves for several years now, after having visited the Wolf Sanctuary in Ipswich Massachusetts, near where I live. I loved reading every page of this fascinating book, including all the many photos of the wolves from the Pennsylvania sanctuary. It was interesting to learn about how the wolves interact, create dens, and raise the pups. The photographs really brought me in to the stories of these beautiful creatures.
Melissa Cheresnick
Mar 23, 2019
Christine
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Stunning photographs of this beautiful animal fill this volume, along with a history of the sanctuary and facts about wolves.  Educational and inspiring.

I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Carolyn McBride
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a gorgeous, stunning visual treat. To be allowed a glimpse of these wolves, a window into their lives is an experience most of us will never experience. This is one of those rare coffee-table-style books any wolf enthusiast will adore. And I plan on getting a copy for myself. We see the wolves resting, howling, eating, making a den and bringing up the pups in a combination of colour and black and white photographs. We feel as though we are there, and it was not hard to imagine the little ...more
Jackie Lantern
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The photographs of the wolves are absolutely beautiful. I appreciate the stories within the work, and love the mission of the sanctuary. I especially enjoyed the chapter on the wolves baying at the moon, it’s a subject that speaks volumes to me. An excellent, highly recommended, beautiful work.
Judy
Jan 29, 2019
Slowthinker
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely beautiful book filled with educational information about the lives and behavior of wolves. The photographs are technically excellent, but so much more. They capture the setting and feel of the events perfectly. Not only did I enjoy viewing the photographs and learning about the Wolf Sanctuary of PA, I'm now inspired to pick up my camera again.
Literary Soirée
🐺 🐺 🐺 🐺 🐺

This lovely book offers a beautifully photographed look at the Speedwell Forge Wolf Sanctuary in Pennsylvania. It is a photographic Valentine to these mysterious creatures by Chuck Rineer, who has photographed the packs in their natural habitat since 2007. Offers a peek into the hidden world of wolf life, including how new members become part of the pack and how they live in every season, along with stories and insights into pack behavior. Highly recommended!

Thanks to the author, Schif
Sharon Tyler
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wolf Sanctuary: The Wolves of Speedwell Forge by Chuck Rineer is both a photography collection and a non fiction book about the wolves of Speedwell Forge Wolf Sanctuary.It is currently scheduled for release on April 28 2018.

Speedwell Forge Wolf Sanctuary is a refuge for displaced wolves in the rolling hills of Pennsylvania. Through the images readers can experience wolves at work and play, and encounter their howls and growls close up. Since 2007, Chuck Rineer has photographed the packs in their
  • Making Masterpiece: 25 Years Behind the Scenes at Masterpiece Theatre and Mystery! on PBS
  • The STEM Club Goes Exploring
  • Mariposas Nocturnas: Moths of Central and South America, a Study in Beauty and Diversity
  • Wild Babies: Photographs of Animals in Their First Weeks of Life
  • Rare: Portraits of America's Endangered Species
  • Museums in Motion: An Introduction to the History and Functions of Museums
  • The Hip Girl's Guide to the Kitchen: A Hit-the-Ground Running Approach to Stocking Up and Cooking Delicious, Nutritious, and Affordable Meals
  • The Norton Book of Nature Writing
  • NY Is for New York
  • Beneath Cold Seas: The Underwater Wilderness of the Pacific Northwest
  • The Classic & Craft Cocktail Recipe Book: The Definitive Guide to Mixing Perfect Cocktails from Aviation to Zombie
  • North on the Wing: Travels with the Songbird Migration of Spring
  • Jellyfish: A Natural History
  • Structuralism and Semiotics
  • Last of the Giants: The Rise and Fall of Earth’s Most Dominant Species
  • King Sequoia: The Tree That Inspired a Nation, Created Our National Park System, and Changed the Way We Think about Nature
  • Managing a Nonprofit Organization in the Twenty-First Century