Start by marking “Douglas Adams's Starship Titanic” as Want to Read:
Douglas Adams's Starship Titanic

Douglas Adams's Starship Titanic

Arguably the greatest collaboration in the whole history of comedy!

Bestselling author Douglas Adams wrote the storyline based on his CD-ROM game of the same name (as this novel, not as him, obviously).

Terry Jones of Monty Python wrote the book. In the nude! Parents be warned! Most of the words in this book were written by a naked man!

So. You want to argue with that? All
Published October 27th 1998 by Ballantine Books (first published October 21st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Douglas Adams's Starship Titanic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Douglas Adams's Starship Titanic

Start your review of Douglas Adams's Starship Titanic
Josh
Oct 22, 2007 rated it liked it
easily the best book I've ever read that was based on a CD-ROM computer game, especially under the sub-category of books written by comedians I like based on CD-ROM games by favorite authors. I dare say it tops both of those lists.
Stefanie
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
I have to say I was kind of disappointed in this book. I absolutely adore my compendium of the Hitchhiker's saga (is saga the right word?), and was hoping that this would be a nice little addition to the world Douglas Adams created in that. Or else that it would be somehow similar to that episode of Doctor Who with Ten, although that's probably because I've been re-watching the series on Netflix.

The whole idea of the Starship Titanic was a one-off joke in the Hitchhiker's novels, and so while
Sophia
B.R.A.CE. 2018 Ένα βιβλίο για το οποίο έχεις μεγάλες προσδοκίες

Douglas Adams first imagined the Starship Titanic in Life, the Universe and Everything, the third entry in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, where it is briefly mentioned in the book's 10th chapter. Adams describes it as a "majestic and luxurious cruise-liner" that "did not even manage to complete its very first radio message - an SOS - before undergoing a sudden and gratuitious total existence failure

Τι άλλο να
Ashley
Mar 21, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 0wn4g3
When I learned that this book existed, I was desperate to find a copy. The brainchild of Douglas Adams, as interpreted by Terry Jones of "Monty Python" fame?! Where do I sign my soul away?

I'm very glad I didn't shell out a lot of cash for this book. It showed promise, but read like a chapter book for kids. I would not give this book to any child, though - there's a lot of sexual, R-rated antics, especially as the book gets moving. That's not to say that this is pure rat poison. The book has its
Hemei
Apr 28, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adams completists
I went into this book wanting to enjoy it. Well, more than that—I was expecting to enjoy it. After all, it was written by Terry Jones and based on a game by Douglas Adams.

What wouldn't there be to enjoy?

Spoiler alert: the answer is "A lot."

It wasn't good. It was short, though, which does count for something, but it wasn't short enough. It started off promisingly, but a few chapters in, it felt like the story just diverges from the plot of the game. This being said, I've yet to go through the
Newly Wardell
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love a good space adventure. When its funny and just plain silly, I'm even more content. Its a fun romp with aliens, a luxury spaceship and true love. Spoiler alert, it has a happy ending so there!
Kimberley doruyter
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
i feel like there is a little robot tap-dancing on my brain.
Angus McKeogh
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
Not too bad but certainly nothing amazing. It’s a shame Adams didn’t flesh this out as originally intended since it was his idea. It could have been pretty incredible like the Hitchhiker series, and kudos to Jones for scratching it out at the last moment to work with the then contemporary video game, but the short production time shows; it ends up being just okay. The part with the sentient bomb was on the right track; however, that ended up being the most redeeming quality of the entire novel.
Tony
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That something written by DNA should receive anything other than 5/5 says it all really. The idea is here, the bones with a fair degree of meat attached, but... it hasn't the ability to lead you to a 'wow moment' without seeing it well in advance. As his other books did. Do!

I bought the game too, it was equally as frustrating.
Jim
Oct 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Hitchhiker's Guide meets Monty Python. What more could you ask for? The settings and characters are pure Adams but the writing is unquestionably Terry Jones. A fun reads for fans of both styles with a couple laugh out loud passages.
Joe
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the first time I read it, but they never are. Still, pretty good, for a novel that was written in three weeks.
Mohammad
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book I know something I did not know.
Brian
(2.5) Fun concept, not Terry-bly well written

Terry Jones is no novelist, but the storyline plane that is one of the pillars of great Adams writing is still present (others being satire and witty wording/dialogue), and delights despite the nonstop narrative in place of dialogue/inner monologue. Maybe the game makes more sense now? (I never made any headway whatsoever—must’ve needed to work on that second class upgrade first...)

[pre-reading:] Played the computer game based on this (or I guess the
Andres
Nov 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny, but well below Douglas Adams's level

It was a good read. A story taken straight out of a footnote in one of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books, the demise of the Starship Titanic.

The book is very tongue in cheek and had its good bits, just don't expect it to be of the same caliber as even the worst of the Hitchhiker's books. I'm not sorry I read it, but if you're not a huge fan of Douglas Adams and his work, you'll probably be very underwhelmed.
Sotiris Makrygiannis
May 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: internet
A book from Adams that is not from Adams but from Terry. He was honest enough in his prologue to explain why this book was written and how. Also what are Terry 's strength and weaknesses. I couldn't agree more with his own critique about this book. The extra star goes for the honesty.
Ric
This book was not entirely unlike Douglas Adams’ books. I enjoyed Terry Jones’ Monty Python work, and the combination of that and Adams’ name attached to it I was expecting it to be great. However, it didn’t live up to those expectations. It was fine, but it didn’t quite have that charm that you’d expect from something actually written by Douglas Adams. I feel like it relied way too much on sex jokes, which are fine in moderation but that was most, if not all, of the jokes in this book.

The
Betty BoomBa
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-whimsy
Douglas Adams and Terry Jones, in collaboration. What's not to like? As I went through the "to be read pile" this turned up next on that huge pile and I admit to a happy smile at that.

The pleasure didn't last so long as it turns out this is not the most stunning example of any of the hitchhiker tales. The humour turns to farce, and not in a funny way, but in typical, Monty Python style which overdoes the funny bits and diminishes the total kind of way.

Skimmed much of it and realised I didn't
Jenna
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
It was... a book. That's all I can really say.
Hayden Wier
I got this book from my grandpa. I read Life, the Universe and Everything and then read this book. This was not written like what Douglas Adams wrote like.
Alice
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, humour
A fast, light read, clearly based around the game mechanics. (I really, really want to play the game now.) Nothing in the novel itself made me laugh quite as much as Douglas Adams's introduction, but few things in the universe would. God I miss him.
Tracey
Sep 05, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Douglas Adams completists, for the most part
I found a copy of Douglas Adams's Starship Titanic at a half-price book store last December, and picked it up. I'd played the related computer game when it came out back in 1997 and was curious to see how (what I remembered of) the storyline played out in book format.

The story opens with Leovinus - the genius designer of the Starship Titanic "the ship that cannot possibly go wrong" - taking a last-minute tour of the ship, only to find that some very serious corners were cut in its construction.
Ria
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful sci fi novel with a twist on the Titanic story.
Leovinus a genius of the galaxy has an idea to build the most magnificent starship known to the universe, all controlled by his beloved Titania.
Things go well until his accountant and other business partner cut corners due to financial issues, on the day of the launch the Starship Titanic suffers a SMEF, Spontaneous Massive Existence Failure and it crash lands right in the middle of a rectory on earth.
Enter the four humans, Nigel,
Scott Erickson
Aug 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Oh, how I wanted to like this book more. But for me it was simply impossible not to go into it with sky-high expectations, even though I tried not to. I also have very high standards for comedy. (I'm picky, perhaps a comedy snob, and I find most mainstream "humor" to be unfunny.) So I might be more critical than the average reader. A few chuckles and maybe two good laughs was not enough for a book by a comedic dream team. If the rest of the book was up to the standards of the few very funny ...more
Sandy Millin
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was very happy to discover this book on my aunt's shelf, as I thought I'd read everything influenced by Douglas Adams. It was written by Terry Jones based on a game developed by Douglas Adams. This was an entertaining read with a few laughs, and great for over Christmas. It sounds like a game I would have enjoyed playing.
Willow
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audio book, with Terry Jones narrating, and it was brilliant. I'd highly recommend it. His narration of a particular sex scene and the subsequent discovery of that scene by the other characters had me laughing so hard that it left me gasping for air. It was a fun book. I'll add it to my list of books that I reread when I need a pick me up.
Marts  (Thinker)
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
A humorously silly planetary adventure...
Laura Lee
Mar 10, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Love Monty Python, Love Douglas Adams, enjoyed the video game this book was based on. Disappointed in the book.
Jacob
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I didn't have a particularly good memory of Starship Titanic. I'd originally read it back at the height of my Douglas Adams obsession as a late teenager; I was fastidious about grabbing everything I could with Adams's name on it. I was leery that this wasn't written by Adams himself, even though I loved Monty Python as much as DA--Terry Jones being a part of a brilliant sketch comedy troupe didn't mean he could write a novel.

That said, I also didn't have much memory of Starship Titanic at all.
Koen Crolla
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vidya, fiction
I recently replayed Starship Titanic, over two decades after my first play-through, and it was a lot shorter and less clever than I remembered it being. It did remind me that there was also a book (I remember downloading it as a text file and printing it out on my first ink-jet printer in middle school, but I'm not sure, now, that I ever read the whole thing), so in an effort to salvage my fond memories of the game, I thought I'd give that another go. It didn't help.

It's technically a video game
Bonnie Dale Keck
Not kindle Unlimited, actually have this in hardback from a while back, before I started doing reviews and before I had to have assistive tech to 'read' a book {kindle for pc WITH audio plug in, plus narrator with additional Speakonia}, it was either a 4 1/2 or a 5, remember the book, and liked it for what it was. Don't see the english language version for this.

At the center of the galaxy, a vast, unknown civilization is preparing for an event of epic proportions: the launching of the greatest,
What is main contents on it? 2 10 Feb 19, 2012 10:06PM

• The Deeper Meaning of Liff
  • Doctor Who: Timewyrm-Exodus
  • Young Zaphod Plays It Safe (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #0.5)
  • Wish You Were Here: The Official Biography of Douglas Adams
  • Red Dwarf Omnibus: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers & Better Than Life (Red Dwarf #1-2)
  • Don't Panic: The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Companion
  • The Road to Mars: A Post-Modem Novel
  • Backwards (Red Dwarf #4)
  • Doctor Who: The Stones of Venice
  • Last Chance to See
  • And Another Thing... (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #6)
  • Better than Life (Red Dwarf #2)
  • Last Human (Red Dwarf, #3)
  • Dr. Tatiana's Sex Advice to All Creation
  • Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (Dirk Gently, #1)
  • The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (Dirk Gently, #2)
  • So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #4)
  • Mostly Harmless (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #5)
Terence Graham Parry Jones was a Welsh comedian, screenwriter and actor, film director, children's author, popular historian, political commentator and TV documentary host. He is best known as a member of the Monty Python comedy team.
“This is where, in a cheap novel, the couple, confronted by imminent oblivion, would suddenly make passionate love." It was a pity Nettie was now as old as she was.” 0 likes
“and to whose unsurpassable mastery of ballistics and biomass energetics we owe our third sun that now shines above us with its own famous on-off switch....” 0 likes