Start by marking “You Let Me In” as Want to Read:
You Let Me In

You Let Me In

You Let Me In delivers a stunning tale from debut author Camilla Bruce, combining the sinister domestic atmosphere of Gillian Flynn's Sharp Objects with the otherwordly thrills of Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

Cassandra Tipp is dead...or is she?

After all, the notorious recluse and eccentric bestselling novelist has always been prone to flights of
Hardcover
Expected publication: April 21st 2020 by Tor Books (first published March 5th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about You Let Me In, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Let Me In

Start your review of You Let Me In
Debra
Dec 14, 2019 added it
Shelves: dnf
I'm out. I just can't get into this book. Some are really enjoying it, but I have decided to pass on this one. I'm not giving this book a rating as I did not finish.
Holly  B

Not enjoying this one ... so I'm abandoning at 15%

Bye bye Mr. Pepper-Man...
Joanne Harris
This book is an exquisite rarity: a faerie book that is at the same time marvellously visual and imaginative, but works equally well as a study of human trauma; a love story (of sorts); a family drama; a wholly engaging mystery. I found it in my ARCS-to-read pile (which this year has been sadly neglected) and started it with no great expectation, although by the end of the third page I was not only hooked, but beginning to think that this might be the best book I'd read all year. Anyone who ...more
Blair
Recipe for You Let Me In: take the dark, folkloric themes of Pine or Lanny; mix with the lyrical, romantic style of The Summer That Melted Everything; add a relationship with the same disturbing overtones as those of My Dark Vanessa; combine with the weird atmosphere of two or three short stories by Kelly Link and Elizabeth Hand; and you have something unnerving, strange, yet rich and rather beautiful.

It opens with an article describing the disappearance of Cassandra Tipp, a 74-year-old
Chelsea Humphrey

Review to come.

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy.
Patricia
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a crazy and weird novel! I don't really know what to make of this, but I enjoyed every minute of this book. This book is about evil fairies and family drama. I dare you to try reading YOU LET ME IN; I hope you get sucked in as I did! Happy reading!
Carolyn
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title and cover for his novel didn't prepare me at all for what was inside and I'm still not sure exactly what I read. It's written as a letter from Cassandra Tipp, a 74 year old successful romance writer who has disappeared, addressed to her niece and nephew. She had a tumultuous life to say the least, accused of murdering her husband and later losing her father and brother in a murder-suicide. She also suffered from trauma as a child and underwent therapy for years, becoming the subject of ...more
Schizanthus Nerd
Fiction is sometimes better than reality, dont you think?
Romance novelist Cassandra Tipp has been missing for a year and as per her Last Will and Testament, her considerable estate is to be shared by her niece and nephew. The only catch is, in order to make the claim, they need to go to Cassandras home and find the password hidden somewhere in the manuscript she left for them.
Youre standing in my study, holding this story in your hands - the last one Ill ever tell.
In doing so they will
Mary
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
the fuck did i just read
for real
wtf
if you're a fan of traditionally written fairies, you might enjoy this more than i did
it was just... so weird
i feel confused and uncomfortable
idk man
Amy Imogene Reads
Super weird, definitely meant to disturb, and not afraid of killing any expectations you had about faeries. Welcome to You Let Me In.

Concept: ★★★★ 1/2
Writing style: ★★★★
Pacing: ★★★★★
Content warnings: Yes, a lot of them, please see end of review.

You Let Me In comes out on April 21.

First off, I'd like to make a disclaimer that I'm about to praise this novel, but it in no way means that I am praising the subject matter. There are dark themes in this, and if you are concerned about warnings please
☾ h a d e e r ☽
I have been procrastinating writing this review because I'm uncertain how to articulate the experience of reading this strange book. Reading it felt somewhat like wading through a humid, foggy forest; there was beauty and a sense of timelessness, and yet the story weighed heavily on me too, as I constantly questioned whether I was reading about a supernatural experience or trauma-induced mental instability.

Ever since she was a young girl, Cassandra could see fairies; one in particular, whom she
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell
Dec 16, 2019 marked it as wishlist
Recommended to Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ by: Heather *Undercover Goth Queen*
Shelves: netgalley
Heather told me this was a creepy mystery about evil faeries and that was all I needed to finagle myself an ARC.

I CAN'T BLOODY WAIT TO BEGIN THIS LITTLE SHINDIG
Jennifer Novotney
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
About the book:

You Let Me In by Camila Bruce is a thriller from Tor Books in the vein of Shirley Jackson, Carmen Maria Machado, and Tana French. It is due out in April 2020.

The book is written in first-person from the perspective of Cassandra Tipp, who has mysteriously gone missing at 74 years old. Did she die? Did she disappear? No one knows. Cassandra, a best selling novelist, has left a manuscript behind for her niece and nephew in the case of her disappearance with a few stipulations. Only
Nigel
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In brief - I really am not sure whether it was quite good or quite bad... Three star I think though maybe only just. A marmite book perhaps.

In full
I enjoyed the start of this book. We have (or rather don't have!) Cassie Trip, an eccentric and ageing author who has not been seen for a year. Her nephew and niece are carrying out her final instructions by visiting her house. They find a manuscript from Cassie with instructions that they are to read it to claim their inheritance. It is Cassie's life
Kirsty
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A glorious, pitch-black fairy tale of a book. Lush, strange and defiant. As soon as I finished it, I went straight back to the start and read it again.
K.S. Marsden
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Throughout her life, Cassie is the only witness to the dark faeries' deeds. She has to survive her family and a murder trial.

I received a free copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book is weird.
It is not a murder mystery, or thriller. It will not give you any answers.
Instead, it follows Cassie and her interactions with the faeries - these are not Disney Tinkerbells, they are real, dark, not-dead things that leech life.

For as long as she can remember, Pepper-Man has been
Bandit
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I honestly didnt know what to expect from this book. Or, to be more accurate, I had an idea of what it might be and then it went and blew my expectations right out of the water. Because the initial appearance screams thriller, doesnt it. One of those ever so popular female driven female authored thrillers dominating the genre these days. You have a womens face on the cover, theres that title that makes you gowell, Let Me In and Let The Right One in were taken and there are only so many titles to ...more
Tammy
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.The nitty-gritty: Dark and magical, You Let Me In surprised me in every way possible and is one of the best books Ive read this year.

Faeries are no fit company for the living; touching them taints you like a disease. I grew like a pale fruit in the shadows, small and bitter, never getting enough sunbut I grew. I didnt shrivel up and die;

Lukasz
This book will divide readers - some will love its unsettling atmosphere and weirdness, others will DNF it after the first chapter. You Let Me In is weird and confusing. It doesnt offer straight answers. It doesnt have an unambiguous ending. It deliberately misleads the reader.

I found it dark and compelling. Will I recommend it to everyone willing to listen to me? No way. You have to know what you're getting into.

You can approach it as a study of human trauma, a supernatural thriller, or a
Heather *Undercover Goth Queen*
It's hard to describe this book without going into too much detail and giving things away. As a girl, Cassandra Tipp met a faerie she named Pepper-Man. Her family life was horrible. She had no friends. And Pepper-Man never went away. Now she's dead, and her niece and nephew have come to her house in the woods to read her final manuscript in order to get the password to access her fortune.

I didn't know exactly what I was requesting when I saw this on NetGalley. In my mind it was a thriller barely
Isabel • The Crime Bookshelf
3.5 STARS.

Thank you so much to Tor Books for the gifted ARC of YOU LET ME IN! This has to be one of the most unique books Ive ever read 😱 I wasnt sure what to expect going into this book and WOW was I pleasantly surprised!

What I enjoyed most about this book was how different it was compared to the books I typically read. This book has VERY strong otherworldly and fantastical elements, which made it feel so unique and unlike anything else Ive ever read 👌 I also enjoyed how compelling it was
Lukasz
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

You can approach it as a study of human trauma, a supernatural thriller, or a
Menna van Praag
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very intriguing book. I read it in one sitting - it's gloriously short - which in itself is a commendation. And I found myself thinking about it for several days afterwards. It's a strange story & unexpected and I'm not entirely sure how to classify it but all in all a very good read. I adore the cover!
Renee
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
What happened to Cassandra Tipp? Cassandra is an elderly writer known as much for her reclusiveness as for her romance novels. She vanished leaving everyone to wonder if she had been murdered, committed suicide, or just decided to leave everything behind, and start over.
Cassandra has not lead an uneventful life. As a child, she was the black sheep of her family, living in her own world, one filled with fairies and delusions. Her husband was brutally killed; a crime that saw Cassandra on trial
Lee
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You Let Me In is a very disturbing, devastating, and weird book, but its also extremely good. It was such a pleasure to be genuinely surprised by this book. Its a story of tragedy, illusion and conjuring, family secrets and death. Nothing is as it seems. I recommend this one to fans of very dark stories and dysfunctional families. I loved the story and the way it was told. Camilla Bruce writes beautifully. She succeeds exceedingly well confusing at you and at the same time hooking you into the ...more
Natassja
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this! Curious to see how the final version may change.
Shalini
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the most different book Id read in my life, left completely open to interpretation.

The story went thus, Cassandra, a 7-year-old novelist had disappeared. One year later her niece and nephew were given the key to her home and told to read her last manuscript in order to get her wealth.

Then came the story as written in the manuscript, where Cassandra had been taken in by the faerie called PepperMan who sucked her blood when she was a child, continued even when she became pregnant at 14, and
Rachel Bridgeman
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: december
This book completely threw me through a window into another universe-it was an unexpected, thrilling and darkly twisted take on the fairy tales most children are raised on.
For every beautiful princess who has a happy ending, there are the foundling children who do not fit in, who make bargains and deals with fae that are never quite as they seem, the lonely ones whose sadness acts as a beacon to otherworldly forces.
This is one of those tales-what starts out as a missing person tale with a deeply
Sydney
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Random House for an early copy of You Let Me In.

I devoured this mysteriously bonkers book in one sitting. You Let Me In is a half mystery and half dark fairytale which centres around the story of Cass' tumultuous life told through a letter to her niece and nephew. I will say no more as it is best to go in to this book with as little knowledge as possible.

If you can suspend your disbelief and get lost in the truly bizarre and engaging story then I would recommend this as a great
KitKat The #BookNerd KBbookreviews
You Let Me In, by Camilla Bruce is a dark fantasy full of faeries, magic, and danger.

Synopsis: Cassandra Tipp has disappeared. Bestselling novelist, and notorious in her neighbourhood, Cassandra has a dark past, one the whole town knows. Everyone knows of her and her infamous trial, acquitted or not she is someone they use to avoid.

Now she has gone missing and she has left behind one final story. She is ready to reveal the truth of her murder and death filled past, but at what cost? Was
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Home Stretch: Why It’s Time to Come Clean About Who Does the Dishes
  • The Familiar Dark
  • Dreamland
  • A Thousand Moons
  • Watching from the Dark (DCI Jonah Sheens, #2)
Camilla Bruce was born in central Norway and grew up in an old forest, next to an Iron Age burial mound. She has a master's degree in comparative literature, and have co-run a small press that published dark fairy tales. Camilla currently lives in Trondheim with her son and cat.