Start by marking “Window Horses” as Want to Read:
Window Horses

Window Horses

Window Horses is the graphic novelization of the award-winning NFB film by Ann Marie Fleming, starring Sandra Oh. The story follows Rosie Ming, a young Chinese/Persian poet as she leaves her home in Vancouver for the first time to visit Shiraz, Iran.

Here she discovers the beauty of poetry, history, and new friendships and learns the true story about her estranged Iranian
Published by Bedside Press

To ask other readers questions about Window Horses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Window Horses

Start your review of Window Horses
Etienne
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
I just don,t get where this book was going and what it wanted to achieved. Was it just absurd humor? Did the multicultural message was supposed to be significant? Not sure. The illustrations were minimalistic but still were good and I like the humor in it even if it became repetitive really fast.

I also want to say... I really review book mentioning the price of it, but this one (I got it free on NetGalley so it's alright for me) is selling for 25$, that's a lot of money for that kind of book
Robert Cojocaru
The story of a Chinese-Iranian girl from Canada that publishes simple poems in a limited run book and gets invited to a literary festival in Iran where she will rediscover herself.
Do not let the art or the beginning of the book fool you, it is a crescendo from a storytelling point of view.
The poets that Ming meets at the festival are an interesting mix, that made the story worthwhile for me, and the ending is very interesting.
I have also appreciated the amount of cultural information gained
Celise
A young French-obsessed Canadian girl, half Persian-half Chinese, travels to Iran to participate in a poetry festival.

Rosie Ming is a charming, if naive girl traveling for the first time to another country. I think the book captures some of the wonderment that comes with that, with both charming and beautiful artwork by several different artists.

The story isn't super engaging until the end, though. The final quarter is meaningful, but the first 3/4 seem to be scratching at the surface of
Hadi
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
My husband came rushing into the room and thrust this book at me. "Read this!", he said excitedly. He doesn't often do this. Anyway I read it. I'm not sure I'd thrust it at anyone, but I did email a few friends and tell them about it - not something I've ever done before.

It's charming and beautiful. Rosie is drawn as a few lines with a circle for her head (maybe a reflection of her incompleteness?) but all around her are more representatively drawn, and each poem/story sequence is richly
Mateen Mahboubi
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great and heartwarming story of a young poet looking to find their place in the world. The story is great but the illustration is pretty simple and even the word bubbles are hard to follow at times. Honestly would have used the touch of someone with a bit more experience but it doesn't detract too much. There are also some nice moments with guest artists providing a few pages here and there which are enjoyable.
BookBlerd
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is the most gorgeous blend of visual art and poetry. Featuring a story about finding yourself, claiming your artistic voice, and rediscovering family, this book is a must read for poetry fans or those who like books similar to the graphic novel Persopolis.
Ali
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved the story of this book. it is so layered and multifaceted. There is so much here. The art is unique: I love how it works to show all the characters and their traits. Read this book. I wholeheartedly recommend it.
Kelly
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Now I have to see the movie!

(Full disclosure: I received a free e-ARC for review through Edelweiss.)

Window Horses is the graphic novelization of a 2016 animated film of the same name, written by Ann Marie Fleming and starring Sandra Oh (with what I can only assume is a brief cameo by Ellen Page, at least judging from the book). The story's protagonist is a young biracial woman named Rosie Ming. Born to a Chinese-Canadian mother and an Iranian refugee father, Rosie was
Ije the Devourer of Books
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it

Rosie Ming is a young Canadian. Her mother was Chinese and her father is Iranian. Rosie's father left when she was young and her mother died, so Rosie was brought up by her grandparents.

Rosie writes poetry and she self-publishes a book of her own poems. These poems are seen by the organisers of a poetry festival in Shiraz Iran, and Rosie is invited to participate in the festival and she does so against her grandparents wishes. Rosie thus embarks upon a journey in which she discovers poetry, Iran
Rebecca
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

The graphic novel is taken from an animated film of the same name that I've wanted to see for a while so I was really excited to see a graphic novel version of it and requested it immediately.

I unfortunately didn't like it though. I was really hoping I would because the topics it covers are so interesting, like family, identity and belonging, travelling, and poetry, but the main factor in why this is only a 2 star
Afreen Aftab
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
'I think you have a voice. You just have to find out how to express it fully. This is the journey we are all on. It takes a lifetime - sometimes many lifetimes - to learn our own story.'

When I first started reading this book I wasn't sure if I was really going to like it. But this little coming-of-age story really grew on me.

In this story, Rosie Ming, a half Persian half Chinese Canadian tries to find her identity and fulfill her dreams of going to Paris by publishing her book of poetry. And
J Earl
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Window Horses by Ann Marie Fleming is a beautiful adaptation of the animated film. While the film works better this book is still a simple yet moving tribute to family in all its forms.

In such a short work we see how so many things can both bring us together and drive us apart. No single area, whether it be relationship dynamics or political and religious upheaval, can be viewed and understood in isolation. That is why the worst examples of these are always kept in as much isolation as possible.
Lauren
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm coming from the angle of someone who has seen the film. I've been meaning to get my hands on the graphic novel version ever since then. Much like the film, the book doesn't disappoint.

Sure, the pacing of it can be very stop and go with the history lessons about Iran's poets, but it's ultimately meaningful to learn about; especially when my country's impeached president is trying to start a war with Iran currently.

The moments where Rosie learns about her father pack just as much of an
Wayne McCoy
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
'Window Horses' by Ann Marie Fleming is a graphic novel based on her film. It's a story about finding your voice and your family.

Rosie Ming is a young Chinese/Persian poet living in Vancouver. When she publishes a book of poems about Paris, she finds herself invited to a poetry gathering in Shiraz, Iran. It's a chance for her to travel. She meets people along the way who stretch her poetic gift. She learns about famous poets from Iran. She learns about her father, who abandoned her when she was
Marilyn B
This is a very difficult book to understand. The themes of being true to yourself (or in the case of Rosie actually knowing oneself) while in a place where everyone speaks another language or is another culture is repeated first by Rosie and then in memory by her father. The story, however, is so multilayered, told in stories of history and intertwined with multicultural (and multi-language) poetry overlapping the surface story of a young Asian-Persian woman at a poetry festival in Iran seeking ...more
Theediscerning
Chance means our Chinese/Persian heroine, living in Canada as she does, has to practically start her experience of being a published poet at a festival in Iran, of all places, when she had her heart set on Paris. But little does she know what she's going to find while there… Some of the artwork almost makes "Persepolis" look sophisticated, but the volume has enough guest illustrators to portray certain scenes or poems, which brings a massive improvement and liveliness to the visuals. I still ...more
Sofia
Apr 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
Maybe it's because I'm tired but I couldn't bring myself to finish this book. I didn't like the art (the cover really made me think it would be different) and the story felt disconnected. The book tried to tell MC's story and also Iran's, and in doing so failed to do both.
Chiara
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Window Horses è la trasposizione in graphic novel del film omonimo: Rosie Ming, una ragazza canadese di origini cinesi ed iraniane, viene invitata ad un festival di poesia in Iran. Lì scopre molto sulle sue origini, su suo padre, sulla bellezza della poesia, sulla storia.
I disegni di questo graphic sono a colori e variegati: laprotagonistaè unostickman, gli altri personaggi sonopiù dettagliati, e per me ipaesaggisono la cosa più visivamente piacevole da guardare.La storia è interessante, ricca
John Woakes
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A really lovely story about poetry and Iran and a young girl's first trip away from home. The story has quite a light touch but is remarkably moving. I really liked the artwork too.
Chuck White
Mar 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

This was a reward as part of a Kickstarter campaign I supported.

Meh, this just didn't do it for me. Story was not engaging, art was OK, but didn't grab me.

I can't recommend.

Lovely Day
A young Parisian/Chinese Canadian poet who travels to Iran for a poetry festival discovers her family history in an unexpected way.
This book has a few different languages sprinkled in it and a lot of poetry....this made it difficult for me to stay immersed in the world and connect with the story.
Solenn
Feb 06, 2019 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed Rosie’s story. The multicultural characters were portrayed with great kindness and affection. The snapshots into different types of poetry were a nice addition. Overall a nice heartwarming read. *Book provided by editor through Netgalley, all opinions are my own*
Micah
Hunter
Sep 23, 2018
Sherry
Jun 07, 2019

• Space Boy Volume 1 (Space Boy, #1)
  • Fish Girl
  • A Girl in the Himalayas
  • oh no
  • とつくにの少女 6 [Totsukuni no shōjo 6]
  • Space Boy Volume 2 (Space Boy, #2)
  • Shattered Warrior
  • Space Boy Volume 4 (Space Boy, #4)
  • Space Boy Volume 3 (Space Boy, #3)
  • Book Learnin': A Pie Comics Collection
  • La double disparition (Les Enquêtes d'Enola Holmes #1)
  • Where's Halmoni?
  • Sanity & Tallulah
  • Newlywed Games
  • Boxers (Boxers & Saints, #1)
  • The Bridge