Start by marking “The Premature Baby Book: Everything You Need to Know About Your Premature Baby from Birth to Age One (Sears Parenting Library)” as Want to Read:

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  159 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
This major new addition to the Sears Parenting Library is a comprehensive, authoritative, and reassuring guide for parents of premature babies. 20 line drawings & photos.
Published September 21st 2004 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about The Premature Baby Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Premature Baby Book

Shannon
Mar 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I try to go into situations with knowledge with the hopes of not needing it. This book was very informative about what happens in many NICU's and even discussed NICU etiquette. It was a great and easy read that I recommend if you're going through a high-risk pregnancy with the possibility of pre-term delivery.
Largercircle
Apr 29, 2016 added it
Shelves: advanced
is a good basic text. Most of the Sears Parenting Library books are. I noticed the extremely bland, reassuring tone more in this one, though, because it's about such a terrifying topic (at least to me).

I worked with a family once who had premies born at . . . hm. I don't remember exactly how many weeks anymore. Something in the mid-20s I think. This was while I was pregnant with my first baby, over 7 years ago. That's an impressionable time, and that NICU made an impression. I was pretty horri
Amanda
Aug 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I disagree with previous reviews calling this book worthless. It is an extremely helpful guide for parents- neonatology 101, but will obviously not help you earn your medical degree. It includes helpful information for interaction with your baby's medical staff, who would answer any further questions you would have.

I came across this book after going into preterm labor and highly recommend it to moms and dads who like me, want to prepare themselves as much as possible for what to expect. The de
Robert
Jun 08, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: skimmed
The Premature Baby Book is written at such a low level that it is nearly worthless. For example, we wanted information on iron supplementation. The Book informed us that premature babies need iron. That's it. No information on dosage. No information on duration of treatment. No mention of products available. No mention that iron is only recommended for preemies below a certain birth weight. The Book tells us that preemies need a multivitamin, but does not tell us which specific vitamins they nee ...more
Carolyn A.
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: baby
This was a good informational read about preemies delivery, their care in the NICU, and how to care for them once getting home. It helped me better understand what medical procedures were done and why on our baby during his first few days. Reading about these procedures is especially helpful for moms to read because if they were anything like me, delivering prematurely is such a whirlwind that there is no way to completely understand everything that is happening around you. Although some informa ...more
Karen
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very sound advise for caring for a preemie. Pro-breast-feeding, pro-family bed. "Help baby thrive and flourish... medical decisions... anticipate developmental issues... unique features and needs head to toe system by system... common concerns and med challenges... breast feeding... bonding..." This book is very comprehensive and easy to understand. Very thorough. Sear's is highly respected.

Note: Nick, our preemie grandson, caught up quickly to other boys his age and is actually big for his age
Tanya
Sep 29, 2014 rated it liked it
It was a book I was reading each month with my baby growing up. I learnt some things (it is positive about the book). Though some parts were tedious and should not have taken a place, to my mind (I see it as a 'minus'). Overall, I do not have an extreme opinion about the book... But if I would be asked for an advice "what is worth reading for a parent?", I am not sure whether I would remember the name "The premature Baby Book"...
Brittney Clay
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this book while I was on bed rest preparing to deliver our premature baby. It was helpful in easing many concerns I had as well as helping me navigate the world of the NICU. A lot of the book is repetitive from all other Sears books in emphasizing the importance of attachment parenting but this book also included the ins and outs of attachment parenting when you aren't able to be with your baby right away or able to touch and hold your baby.
Melina
Aug 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
If you have or are likely to have a preemie or are having a high-risk pregnancy, this is an excellent resource. It's a great intro of sorts to what NICU life is like and may help alleviate concerns or fears you have about various treatments, machines, medicines, and other things you can expect in a NICU.
Courtney
Jan 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great tool if you are expecting to deliver early or have a preterm baby. It is a great introduction to life in the NICU. It will provide you will so much insight as to how things work and what to expect so you won't be overwhelmed & can focus on your new arrival.
Jenn
Mar 04, 2013 rated it liked it
While this book has some helpful information I found a lot was "fluffy". There are better books out there but this one is worth a quick look through anyway. If you do pick this one up, the most helpful section was on attachment parenting.
Becky
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very helpful. Detailed explantations of the NICU as well as common issues with preemie babies and the care they need. I appreciated the advice on talking to the medical staff. My biggest regret that I didn't get this book soon enough!
Evie
Aug 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Simple read. Sometimes the information seems to repeat itself.
Amber
Sep 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: baby, preemie
Good resource for parents who could have NICU babies. This was recommended to me by multiple moms of preemies and it will be something I'll revisit as it becomes more applicable.
Taryn
Dec 04, 2012 rated it liked it
There was quite a bit of good information in this book, but it would have been much more helpful if I had read it while my son was in the hospital instead of after he was released.
Monica
Sep 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
One of the newest books on premies. Bought a copy for additional reference
Ann
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is for you, if you have a baby in intensive care and you want to practice attachment parenting.
Shannon
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
love love love...even though if you have other books in the Sears library you get some amount of repitition (mostly regarding breastfeeding, co-sleeping and attachment parenting).
Lisa
Jan 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dr-sears
Great book for feeding issues and post NICU work ups.
Željko Filipin
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it
A short review at my blog: http://filipin.eu/the-premature-baby-...
Christina Joiner
Apr 22, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Really disappointed with the book

I am really disappointed with this book. It contained a lot of opinions (with a side of judgment) but not a lot of science.
Sara
Dec 28, 2011 rated it liked it
As my baby has not arrived yet, I'm not sure just how useful the information is. However, it did serve to alleviate some fears!
Beth
Jan 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Heavily pushes attachment parenting but very readable.
Heather
Jan 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
I received this book as a gift after our daughter arrives at 33 weeks. It was a fantastic book it really helped me get through life in the NICU and beyond.
Julia
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I think "Preemies" is more detailed and helpful, particularly about the NICU experience, but this one is still useful and informative.
Abigail (Abbe)
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Best premature baby book I read..there are not enough of these types of books but this one has covered every question I have ever had. Thank you Sears family for publishing this book.
Sarah L. Eylar
Nov 23, 2013
Kelly Leonard
Aug 19, 2015
Crystal
Sep 10, 2012
Casey Simpson
rated it did not like it
Sep 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Obstetric Myths Versus Research Realities: A Guide to the Medical Literature
  • So That's What They're For!: The Definitive Breastfeeding Guide
  • Adventures in Tandem Nursing: Breastfeeding During Pregnancy and Beyond
  • Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book
  • Holistic Midwifery: A Comprehensive Textbook for Midwives in Homebirth Practice, Vol. 2: Care of the Mother and Baby from the Onset of Labor Through the First Hours After Birth
  • The Panic-Free Pregnancy: An OB-GYN Separates Fact from Fiction on Food, Exercise, Travel, Pets, Coffee, Medications, and Concerns You Have When You Are Expecting
  • Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn: The Complete Guide (medically updated)
  • Birth and Breastfeeding: Rediscovering the Needs of Women During Pregnancy and Childbirth
  • Good Nights: The Happy Parents' Guide to the Family Bed (and a Peaceful Night's Sleep!)
  • Immaculate Deception II: Myth, Magic and Birth
  • 365 Manners Kids Should Know: Games, Activities, and Other Fun Ways to Help Children Learn Etiquette
  • How Weaning Happens
  • The Nursing Mother's Companion
  • Natural Family Living: The Mothering Magazine Guide to Parenting
  • The Educated Child: A Parents Guide From Preschool Through Eighth Grade
  • An Innocent, a Broad
  • My Child Won't Eat: How to Prevent and Solve the Problem
  • Orgasmic Birth: Your Guide to a Safe, Satisfying, and Pleasurable Birth Experience
Dr. Sears, or Dr. Bill as his "little patients" call him, is the father of eight children as well as the author of over 30 books on childcare. Dr. Bill is an Associate Clinical Professor of Pediatrics at the University of California, Irvine, School of Medicine. Dr. Bill received his pediatric training at Harvard Medical School's Children's Hospital in Boston and The Hospital for Sick Children in T ...more
More about William Sears...